Retire the Jerseys? Dru and Rome in the Rafters?

I remeber that game with Rashon -- was at the opposite end of the court on the running track -- absolutely amazing play. I think that was the same year they went to Buffalo and lots a terrible game. George Phillips had his pocket picked on an inbound pass that Buffalo put in the hoop.It's hard to believe it's been that long since Andrick played here -- let alone he's been coaching at Springfield for four years. Wow.I enjoyed watching Mark Alberts played when he was here -- that was a good time. He could bomb them from all over. Roy Coleman during the Crawford era was fun to watch too.Basketball is a team sport and I'm not sure how much weight you can put on team accomplishments. In fact in times when Akron was terrible shouldn't a player who stood out get even more credit for still playing well despite having little help? Just a thought.

To me, if you're not sure if a number should be retired, then it shouldn't be. Retiring a number is the highest honor a team can give. That should be reserved for the no-brainers.
I agree with this statement completely. That being said, I'd have to say absolutely to Dru Joyce. He'll be the biggest missing piece for this team next season. Barring a miracle, Dru will become the University of Akron's all time assist leader (he needs just 3 assists) and pass the 1000 point plateau (He needs 16, not likely but plausible for this game).DRU JOYCE -CAREER AVG- 29.8 minutes, 8.5 points, 2.3 rebounds, 4.1 assists, 0.8 steals, 2.0 A/TO ratioNow these numbers aren't all that impressive, but add in the intangibles, the all-time assist crown, and the 1000 point club and this guy should be in the rafters.Now on to Romeo...I love the guy, but to me it's a "NO." He's talented, but at times it seems he lacks concentration, leadership, and fire. Some of the games we've all seen him play and he looks like he's going to breakout and be a beast, then he'll follow it up with a lethargic 6 point/4 rebound performance. However, he is the all-time blocked shot leader for the school.ROMEO TRAVIS -CAREER AVG-27.4 minutes, 11.9 points, 6.3 rebounds, 1.7 assists, 0.7 steals, 1.3 blocksIt's hard to imagine one of them up there and not the other seeing as they came in together and share the "LeBron Factor." These numbers are also skewed because of the team first coaching philosophy of Coach D. In conclusion :D I'd have to go with a NO then on both. I dont see just Dru getting honored. It is impressive to be the all-time leader for a D-I school in any statistic, but keep in mind these guys played 4 years starting virually every game. Averaging 27+ minutes for an entire career is rare these days (most guys that do are in the nba after a season or two). That being said, I think a MAC East regular season championship, MAC Tournament Championship and a little run in the NCAAs would be enough to end a legacy on a high note and change a LOT of opinions! GO ZIPS!

I agree entirely that you can't be raising banners for 2 years of service, a la Nate Thurmond .. which is why Boyce isn't up there.
Where is the rule that says a two year player cannot be retired! Again, Boyce was the best frickin player since JJ and a champion (OVC) as well. We complain that we have no go to guy. Boyce would take and make the big shot all the time. Retire his number!

WOW...I can't believe I have forgotten about Mark Alberts. He ended his career here as one of the best 3-point shooters ever in college basketball, although I don't know where his accomplishment stands now. He was also a terrific ball handler. Roy Coleman was also a great player. Thanks for bringing back some old memories.Another Akron guard that I LOVED to watch was Tron Jenkins. Of course, his number will never be retired, but he was a real blue collar guy like Dials, and was a pretty darn good ball player. I'll miss Dru and Romeo also. But I'm sorry, I'm just not seeing elevating either of them to Jakubick or McLaughlin level status. With all due respect, Joyce is not in McLaughlin's league.

I was in school at the same time as Marcel Boyce. He was awesome!! Playing only two years probably doesn't allow him to get his number retired.But....isn't he the last Akron player to be a league MVP? Which happens to be the same year that he carried Akron from nowhere to an NCAA Berth.I guess he deserves some consideration if we are talking about some legitimate stars that have worn the blue and gold.