Charlie Frye

jeaglet1

Charlie played behind a bad line. Now that they have improved it, he may be out of luck.
I agree and grow weary of all the Frye bashers on cleveland.com. I think Frye should play and hopefully start next year as BQ sits. Then with our improved line he can show what he is capable of and move on to a better franchise. I'm still not convinced BQ is any better then Frye, but we shall see.Maybe Frye can go to Miami and join fellow Zip Jason Taylor?

I knew that Phil Savage was an arrogant pig. I just did not realize that he was such a stoopid arrogant pig. Well, he has his Perrier swilling pink chardonay baby boy now.And he only had to mortgage the franchise to get him. A freaking first round pick next year and this year's second round pick for a kid that twenty-two teams (including the Browns) passed on. Now, that's pure tactical genius.That tops all of Philly's previous blunders by a mile. What a stupo.I am as of now a former Browns fan. In fact, I'm throwing in with the dreaded Squealers just for spite.May Charlie be blessed with a trade to a team that he leads to a Super BowlChampionship. May Charlie wear the ring before the dumb assed Browns ever getto a championship game.Phil Savage you are a pussy for caving into Lerner who knows less about footballthan the pimples on your butt. What a shame. Sold down the river.Can't wait to hear Kenny Roadhog going off on the sorry Brownettes late next seasonwhen pretty boy is out with a concussion and Derek "choke" Anderson is running forhis sorry life.Get out of there Charlie. There's no life left in Cleveland.

Sorry Frye. Sorry that you had to be dicked by the worst franchise in the NFL. Hopefully Frye will go to a team that can win, instead of a poor excuse for a team that is all about trading high draft picks for an overrated tool.
He got dicked over? How? He had his chance to prove himself as a starting QB and failed. Period. Now he can go be a backup somewhere else.

I knew that Phil Savage was an arrogant pig.  I just did not realize that he was such a stoopid arrogant pig.  Well, he has his Perrier swilling pink chardonay baby boy now.And he only had to mortgage the franchise to get him.  A freaking first round pick next year and this year's second round pick for a kid that twenty-two teams (including the Browns) passed on.  Now, that's pure tactical genius.That tops all of Philly's previous blunders by a mile.  What a stupo.I am as of now a former Browns fan.  In fact, I'm throwing in with the dreaded Squealers just for spite.May Charlie be blessed with a trade to a team that he leads to a Super BowlChampionship.  May Charlie wear the ring before the dumb assed Browns ever getto a championship game.Phil Savage you are a pussy for caving into Lerner who knows less about footballthan the pimples on your butt.  What a shame.  Sold down the river.Can't wait to hear Kenny Roadhog going off on the sorry Brownettes late next seasonwhen pretty boy is out with a concussion and Derek "choke" Anderson is running forhis sorry life.Get out of there Charlie.  There's no life left in Cleveland.
Charlie Frye in the 4th quarter in 2007:70-118, 700 yards, 59.3%, 2 TD, 7 INT, 15 sacks, 57 RAT And Derek Anderson is nicknamed "choke"?Let's face it...as I said before, Charlie's a backup in this league. A good one...but not more than a backup.P.S. If you're no longer a Browns fan (and a Steelers fan now to boot) because they picked up Brady Quinn in an effort to get better, then you weren't much of a fan in the first place IMO.

SGM405, have you ever had an intelligent thought in your miserable life?Why are you continually ranking on the Zips and former Zips? Obviously you are neithera student at Akron or ever been an Akron fan. Are you a mole from Cant or just slimethat oozes by on warm days?I have noticed frequently that you are never positive, nor kind, nor complimentary.It seems you live to be hurtful to others. I suggest that you get counseling.Your remarks regarding Charlie Frye's performance as the Brown's quarterback showsjust how hateful and ignorant you are. Few players in the NFL would be tough enoughto endure the pounding Charlie took behind that miserable excuse for an offensiveline. Brady "momma's boy" Quinn sure as hell couldn't wither that fire.Sit down. Shut up. And learn how to be a mensch.

SGM405, have you ever had an intelligent thought in your miserable life?Why are you continually ranking on the Zips and former Zips? Obviously you are neithera student at Akron or ever been an Akron fan. Are you a mole from Cant or just slimethat oozes by on warm days?I have noticed frequently that you are never positive, nor kind, nor complimentary.It seems you live to be hurtful to others. I suggest that you get counseling.Your remarks regarding Charlie Frye's performance as the Brown's quarterback showsjust how hateful and ignorant you are. Few players in the NFL would be tough enoughto endure the pounding Charlie took behind that miserable excuse for an offensiveline. Brady "momma's boy" Quinn sure as hell couldn't wither that fire.Sit down. Shut up. And learn how to be a mensch.
Charlie Frye had a chance to succeed as a starter for the Browns, and he failed. I wish it had gone down differently, as I'm a Browns fan and since I'd love to see a former Zip do well...but it just didn't happen that way. Do you realize in that defending Frye, the only positive you came back with was that he was "tough enough to take a pounding"? That's the best thing you could say? That should tell you all there is to know about Charlie. He's a backup in this league...and hey, there's nothing wrong with that. He can be a good one, and it takes a helluva lot of talent just to stick in the league, even as a backup. I just don't see how my opinion of Charlie Frye has anything to do with my allegiance to Akron. Do I have to pretend I think every former Zip is a superstar player to be a "true fan"? Why do you take it personally that someone disagrees with you? And can't you just leave it at that - two people who obviously know sports that disagree on a sports topic? Geez man...settle down... :rolleyes:

I knew that Phil Savage was an arrogant pig.  I just did not realize that he was such a stoopid arrogant pig.  Well, he has his Perrier swilling pink chardonay baby boy now.And he only had to mortgage the franchise to get him.  A freaking first round pick next year and this year's second round pick for a kid that twenty-two teams (including the Browns) passed on.  Now, that's pure tactical genius.That tops all of Philly's previous blunders by a mile.  What a stupo.I am as of now a former Browns fan.  In fact, I'm throwing in with the dreaded Squealers just for spite.May Charlie be blessed with a trade to a team that he leads to a Super BowlChampionship.  May Charlie wear the ring before the dumb assed Browns ever getto a championship game.Phil Savage you are a pussy for caving into Lerner who knows less about footballthan the pimples on your butt.  What a shame.  Sold down the river.Can't wait to hear Kenny Roadhog going off on the sorry Brownettes late next seasonwhen pretty boy is out with a concussion and Derek "choke" Anderson is running forhis sorry life.Get out of there Charlie.  There's no life left in Cleveland.
Charlie Frye in the 4th quarter in 2007:70-118, 700 yards, 59.3%, 2 TD, 7 INT, 15 sacks, 57 RAT And Derek Anderson is nicknamed "choke"?Let's face it...as I said before, Charlie's a backup in this league. A good one...but not more than a backup.P.S. If you're no longer a Browns fan (and a Steelers fan now to boot) because they picked up Brady Quinn in an effort to get better, then you weren't much of a fan in the first place IMO.
sgm405,Thanks for saving me the time. In General,I used to think that Frye would last 10 years in the NFL as a back-up. I no longer think that, but I do believe he has 2-3 years left and will be with the Browns next season and probably the following season as well as a back up. Cleveland didn't draft BQ to sit him on the bench next year. They have to win now. A 5-6 year career is pretty damn good regardless of how you look at it.I'm a Steelers fan and I hate to admit this, but this was a really good first round for Cleveland. BQ won on a absolutely horrible Notre Dame team passing to basically only one receiver when it counted (the guy with the funny last name). Those of you who think BQ is a pussy must not have seen a single ND game last year. The guy got killed game in and game out and kept coming back for more and his team won. I can't stand Notre Dame, but this kid was impressive on a bad team. I can't think of a single time in Frye's college career when he impressed me as much as BQ.

SGM405, have you ever had an intelligent thought in your miserable life?Why are you continually ranking on the Zips and former Zips?  Obviously you are neithera student at Akron or ever been an Akron fan.  Are you a mole from Cant or just slimethat oozes by on warm days?I have noticed frequently that you are never positive, nor kind, nor complimentary.It seems you live to be hurtful to others.  I suggest that you get counseling.Your remarks regarding Charlie Frye's performance as the Brown's quarterback showsjust how hateful and ignorant you are.  Few players in the NFL would be tough enoughto endure the pounding Charlie took behind that miserable excuse for an offensiveline.  Brady "momma's boy"  Quinn sure as hell couldn't wither that fire.Sit down.  Shut up. And learn how to be a mensch.
Charlie Frye had a chance to succeed as a starter for the Browns, and he failed. I wish it had gone down differently, as I'm a Browns fan and since I'd love to see a former Zip do well...but it just didn't happen that way. Do you realize in that defending Frye, the only positive you came back with was that he was "tough enough to take a pounding"? That's the best thing you could say? That should tell you all there is to know about Charlie. He's a backup in this league...and hey, there's nothing wrong with that. He can be a good one, and it takes a helluva lot of talent just to stick in the league, even as a backup. I just don't see how my opinion of Charlie Frye has anything to do with my allegiance to Akron. Do I have to pretend I think every former Zip is a superstar player to be a "true fan"? Why do you take it personally that someone disagrees with you? And can't you just leave it at that - two people who obviously know sports that disagree on a sports topic? Geez man...settle down... :rolleyes:
sgm405,Thanks for saving me the time.

First of all I think getting BQ sucks. He has never impressed me and he definitely has not won the big games. I do not use the word choke, because there can be many reasons why a team or an individual player does not perform.Professional sports stink. I had the opportunity this week to talk with 2 former pro fb players who live in this area. The owners are all business. Wins and $$$$$$$$. Yet, they expect the player to be loyal to the team. Players cannot be loyal when it is considered a business, they have to look out for their interests just like the owners look out for their's.All though, I enjoy watching pro sports events, I will not pay a nickel to go see a pro team play. Give me a good college or high school game anytime.As for Charlie, I wish him the best. I know he can catch on with another team. As for BQ, if he had the O-line that Charlie or Tim Couch had, he would just be another piece of raw meat.

First of all I think getting BQ sucks. He has never impressed me and he definitely has not won the big games. I do not use the word choke, because there can be many reasons why a team or an individual player does not perform.
I can't believe I'm defending a Notre Dame player, but here it goes.The fact that BQ went to two straight BCS games is a miracle in and of itself. Notre Dame is an average college football program right now that would be a middle of the pack Big Ten team. Without Quinn, they are a sub 50% team. ND had better hope that the cupcakes they are scheduling are really cupcakes because there is no talent there and that fat oaf of a coach thinks too much like an NFL coach to really get things turned around. As far as him not winning the big game, Mike Golic (yes, I know he is a ND graduate) did a great study on his performance in big games and compared it to the QB from LSU. BQ actually did well in most of his big games and even better than JR. Could someone please tell me a big game that Frye won?I can't believe you Browns fans. This is the best draft the Browns have had in......well, I really can't remember and you folks can't even be happy about it.

I don't like Brady Quinn (I hateeee Notre Dame). And I do think there are some serious question marks about him.BUT...I think the Browns have a chance to win more football games now and in the future with BQ at QB instead of CF or DA. And because of that, I love the move.

I always have been and always will be a Browns fan. I was a browns fan when I was 8 years old.I was a browns fan before I became a UA student and alum.I am a browns fan now matter what their record is.In other words, I am loyal to my alma mater, but I will die a browns fan (if I can stand the NFL any longer, because if I make it to the age of 40, NFL games will probably be 2 hours of ads and 1 hour of condensed football, but that's another rant), and I am not prejudiced towards Charlie Frye more than I am prejudiced toward wanting what's best for the Browns. I watched a lot of Frye's games in Akron, particularly his last year. He was a magic make-it-happen player. It's a quality that's rare in a quarterback. I said before, and I'll say again, I don't mean that he will go down as the next Joe Montana or John Elway, but I really and truely believe that he is starting NFL QB material. He's got the intangables. It is for that reason that I would love knowing he is the Brown's backup QB... even if it breaks my heart that he wont be taking snaps on most sundays in autumn.

Even though I am a Browns fan, the Browns are the worst franchise in the NFL. I personally happen to like Brady Quinn and Charlie Frye. Charlie was never really given a chance, and any Browns fan that says he was is an IDIOT. No line, no coordinator, no veteran from whom to learn...what an opportunity. Now, another QB whom I respect gets to be sacrificed. I'm happy for Brady Quinn that he thinks his childhood dream just came true...but be careful what you wish for, you may get it. I regret the day the Browns drafted Charlie and how happy I was. This very likely could be one of the worst days of Quinn's life. I don't see him getting any more help than Couch, Holcomb, Garcia, Dilfer, Frye, or Anderson.The best thing that can happen for Charlie is to be traded elsewhere. As for Brady Quinn, I just hope somehow he can survive.

Charlie Frye was the QB for a program that was a perennial bottom feeder when he arrived on campus and then they transformed into a team that while not great was certainly much more competitive.Brady Quinn went to Notre Dame, which is arguably the premier football program or at least the most overrated, program in the nation and with all that talent still didn't lead the Irish to any huge top 10 type wins.You have to judge Quinn and Frye upon not only the talent around them but also on the expectations for their programs. The bottom line is Frye exceeded expectations right from the beginning (a 28-14 loss to OSU) while Quinn and ND certainly did not exceed the expectations for the Irish.Looking at the abilities and intangibles...which of the two has the stronger arm? Which is more accurate? More mobile? More elusive? A better teammate? Better in a broken play situation? Who is the better leader? You look at these questions and I think you may have to put Frye either even or above Quinn.However, when you give up what the Browns did you have to play the guy eventually to avoid getting "egg on your face", even if you have another guy that is just as good or better. That is why I hate this pick by the Browns. They made the best pick they could have possibly made in Joe Thomas, but they may have really hurt their overall draft this year and next by picking up Quinn. It certainly isn't one of their better drafts in recent years even though it was on course to be until pick #22 came along.

Even though I am a Browns fan, the Browns are the worst franchise in the NFL. I personally happen to like Brady Quinn and Charlie Frye. Charlie was never really given a chance, and any Browns fan that says he was is an IDIOT. No line, no coordinator, no veteran from whom to learn...what an opportunity. Now, another QB whom I respect gets to be sacrificed. I'm happy for Brady Quinn that he thinks his childhood dream just came true...but be careful what you wish for, you may get it. I regret the day the Browns drafted Charlie and how happy I was. This very likely could be one of the worst days of Quinn's life. I don't see him getting any more help than Couch, Holcomb, Garcia, Dilfer, Frye, or Anderson.The best thing that can happen for Charlie is to be traded elsewhere. As for Brady Quinn, I just hope somehow he can survive.
I DO agree that Frye, like other past QB's, has had little to work with. But the thing is, when Frye DID get time to throw, he still wasn't very effective. His pocket presence is horrible, he doesn't have a strong arm...he forces passes and makes many bad decisions. He does some things decently well and he's tough as nails, but he's an average QB at best in the NFL. To me, it's obvious that Brady Quinn > Charlie Frye. Quinn had better stats in college and has more pure ability than C Frye. The only question to me was whether or not it was worth a 1st and a 2nd to grab him.I do credit the Browns for FINALLY realizing the importance of the O-Line by signing Steinbach (the best FA OL) and drafting Thomes (the best College OL). 'Bout damn time!

Here is how intelligent the Browns drafting Brady Quinn with two top quality draft picks was.The sorry Miami Dolphins picking ninth overall and in extreme need of a franchisequarterback PASSED over Brady Quinn to draft a kick returner. A kick returner in thefirst round. A kick returner instead of this vaunted QB you are slobbering over.But, the Browns brain trust gave away the future for Brady Quinn. Quinn better be every thing all you supporters of him claim his is. Last mere mortal to walk on waterwas the Apostle Peter. Ain't never seen Quinn walk on water or any thing close to it.Charlie Frye is a real NFL quarterback. He will get his ring that he earns by being thestarting QB of the winning team. Unfortunately, it will not be Cleveland.

Here is how intelligent the Browns drafting Brady Quinn with two top quality draft picks was.The sorry Miami Dolphins picking ninth overall and in extreme need of a franchisequarterback PASSED over Brady Quinn to draft a kick returner.  A kick returner in thefirst round.  A kick returner instead of this vaunted QB you are slobbering over.But, the Browns brain trust gave away the future for Brady Quinn.  Quinn better be every thing all you supporters of him claim his is.  Last mere mortal to walk on waterwas the Apostle Peter.  Ain't never seen Quinn walk on water or any thing close to it.Charlie Frye is a real NFL quarterback.  He will get his ring that he earns by being thestarting QB of the winning team.  Unfortunately, it will not be Cleveland.
Contradict yourself much? You say the Browns are stupid for this pick because Miami (who needs a QB badly) passed on Quinn at #9 for a kick returner? Wouldn't that mean they don't have the best judgment in drafting? A few questions for you...1) Who said Quinn "walked on water" or "slobbered" over him? I don't remember that. 2) What makes you think Frye is not only a starting QB in the NFL, but also one that could lead a team to the Super Bowl? I'm not being sarcastic with this one...I'm genuinely curious to see what you think...cuz I just don't see it man.

To me, it's obvious that Brady Quinn > Charlie Frye. Quinn had better stats in college and has more pure ability than C Frye. sgm, My only argument with you is that you tend to overstate things. It is not obvious that Brady Quinn > Charlie Frye. Stats don't make anything obvious. Even Phil Savage said that this draft could eventually be proven to be a mistake. (I'm forgetting his actual words, and he wasn't specifically referring to Quinn.) There is no way to tell until Quinn actually plays in the NFL.I guess my problem is that I don't like bashing people, especially people who work hard. Charlie certainly has a great work ethic. I wish the Browns would have given him more (mentoring, a decent offensive system, better OL) with which to work. I hope he is able to go elsewhere and prove all of the Frye haters wrong. He's a fellow alum, and I will always wish him well, even if he played for the Baltimore Ravens ( :puke: ).

To me, it's obvious that Brady Quinn > Charlie Frye. Quinn had better stats in college and has more pure ability than C Frye.
sgm, My only argument with you is that you tend to overstate things. It is not obvious that Brady Quinn > Charlie Frye. Stats don't make anything obvious. Even Phil Savage said that this draft could eventually be proven to be a mistake. (I'm forgetting his actual words, and he wasn't specifically referring to Quinn.) There is no way to tell until Quinn actually plays in the NFL.I guess my problem is that I don't like bashing people, especially people who work hard. Charlie certainly has a great work ethic. I wish the Browns would have given him more (mentoring, a decent offensive system, better OL) with which to work. I hope he is able to go elsewhere and prove all of the Frye haters wrong. He's a fellow alum, and I will always wish him well, even if he played for the Baltimore Ravens ( :puke: ). I wish Frye the best of luck...I really do. But that doesn't mean I'm going to claim things I don't believe. And it doesn't mean I'm not going to be excited to see a move that I think makes the Browns much better now and in the long run. Personally, I think Frye is average at best and I don't think he's a starter in the NFL. Others disagree, and that's fine. My problem was getting questioned on being a Zips fan just because I don't think a guy who ranked near or at the bottom of every statistical category last year is a very good QB. Although I don't expect him to ever start again, Frye will get a chance elsewhere I'm sure, and will get to prove me and "other haters" wrong. And in the grand scheme of things, he's getting millions to play a wonderful game. I think he'll be fine no matter what.

it is kinda ridiculous that as browns fans you are ripping savage apart....it will be a good thing for both frye and quinn....charlie frye is the starting quarterback, and i don't like quinn either but he is a good quarterback. this is the best browns draft since returning in '99. i would also love to see a zip succeed, but that may not be for this team...who knows....quinn should def sit at least 10 games this year though...to just understand the game