Play Quinn Now

GoZips

No one ever doubted Quinn as an improvement over Charlie Frye" Quote from Bud Shaw, Cleveland Plain Dealer columnist May 1, 2007 edition.I never realized until just now that I am "no one." Me and a heck of a lot of other, well versed and intelligent fans disagree with your assessment.Charlie Frye is a pretty good young quarterback. He has demonstrated that he can stand withany other quarterback in the league. Dismissing Charlie because of a pathetic, unproductiveoffensive line is lame.In the final quarterback ratings of 2006 Charlie was ranked just behind Ben Rothelisberger andway above the 2006 Rookie of the Year Vince Young. So, just how is it that Brady Quinn whohas never taken a snap in an NFL game is "an improvement over Charlie Frye"?As a reporter and columnist you are supposed to produce facts. Instead, you give a supposition.Based on what? That Quinn played at Notre Dame and Charlie played at Akron?That is impressive. Based on your logic there should be at least six former Notre Dame defensiveends playing in the NFL that are better than Jason Taylor. Well, where are they?Here is what that pathetic, ill though out draft pick is going to cost the Browns. First, this sets thequarterback situation right back to Tim Couch. Why? Because once again the Browns start over.Two, Quinn is a pretty boy with gel in his hair. He no more looks like an NFL QB than my grandmother. Let us see how Quinn fares getting sacked seven times a game. You and I both know that line is not all that improved. Plus, now we see there is disenchantmentin the club house. That festers. That causes problems. Let us see pretty boy take commandas a leader and quell the hard feelings. It wont happen. Three, Crennel, Savage and that idiot old man traded away the future, you know the future, theone the Browns are supposed to be building, to win now. It will not happen. That kid is not Moses.Four, drafting a known problem child in Eric Wright is another disaster. Crennel could not reinin two spunky young men not known for being bad citizens. And now, Romeo is going to corrala rich bum? Pleeeze.This draft was a disaster. They did not draft for the future. They are trying to save their jobs.They wont. Both Crennel and Savage will be fired at the end of the season. Book it.Crennel and Savage were supposed to have a plan. Where was their plan? After making a wiseinitial pick they went in the toilet. They gave away the future to get Quinn. Quinn the vaunted"improvement over Charlie Frye" that twenty-one teams INCLUDING the Browns passed on.Oh yeah, this is a real brain trust. They were stupid. Quarterbacks are developed. They do notcome into the NFL prepackaged ready to play, lead and get Super Bowl rings.Mark my words well. Charlie Frye will wear a Super Bowl ring he earned by leading his team tothe championship before the Browns ever get to the game.Oh, I forgot, you don't know me. Well, I am the voice that called Brenda and Roda morons forhyping Troy Smith. I took a lot of heat. First round draft pick my foot. I said it months agoand I say it now. No matter where Smith gets picked ... it was too high. None of you "wizards" will stand up and tell the truth. Lest you be cut off from the free buffettable. Not one of you has any onions.Here is a suggestion. Since you are so all fired cock sure that Brady Quinn is "an improvementover Charlie Frye" put YOUR onions where your mouth is. Become the loud, continual voice ofCleveland demanding that the Browns play Quinn now. Not in four games or six games or whenever Charlie falters, play Quinn now. Since Quinn is already better that Frye, back him. you have the newspaper voice, do it. Have your pretty boy sissy lead the charge. Beginning with the first snap of the exhibition season.Promote Quinn as the savior. After all, he's "an improvement over Charlie Frye."I am so disgusted with this "blame Charlie" fiasco that I have decided that after fifty-five yearsof being a Browns fan I am headed to the Steelers camp.

Look. Charlie is a solid quarterback. He had a great college career and has had a decent pro career with what he has to work with. However in all our Blue and Gold wearing pride that we have a starting NFL quarterback we can't lose sight of the fact that he has some physical deficiencies on the NFL level and his accuracy is not on the level of most NFL quarterbacks. You cited Vince Young and Big Ben as examples of quarterbacks that he has a higher rating than, as you know like any statistical input rating can be a flawed statistic. Rothlesberger plays in a run first system that is trying to control the ball and Young is dangerous because of his legs not because he is a pure passer When you look at stats in isolation you can make it look anyway you want. Joey Harrington had more touchdown passes and less picks than Charlie...is he a better quarterback...no. If you can honestly tell me you wouldn't take Vince Young or Big Ben before you'd take Frye than you've been drinking Ellet tap water for too long.I feel like the Browns had a great draft. You got the best O Lineman in the draft, the 2nd rated quarterback at 22 and a first round talent whose been something of a knucklehead in the 2nd round. Yes this clown that wrote the original article should have thought more of his phrasing, and yes Charlie is a good young quarterback, but we're talking about a polished pro style passer falling to the 22nd pick, and you guys are cranked because he wears gel in his hair? Lets see how it plays out before spouting our zip centric gloom and doom scenarios, Charlie's days in Cleveland are clearly numbered, I hope he gets a shot somewhere else.

The 2 things that really irk me are - Quinn is ready to play now and Charlie Frye is worthless. On the first issue I don't think any rookie qb is ready to play from game 1. Of course lots of teams throw them in anyway. On issue 2 the jury is still out, but I hate everyone crowning Quinn as the starter and savior of the Browns before he has even thrown 1 NFL pass.

I am really starting to hope that Quinn plays the first game of the year.When he doesn't turn out to be superman, I will laugh at everyone... in their face.And when Quinn goes down in a heap, because the offensive line is still somewhat offensive, and cannot give Quinn protection... I will laugh... not when he is taken off the field, but when Charlie re-assumes his rightful place there.And when Frye starts showing by demonstration of contrast that Quinn was no superman, I will laugh at everyone... in their face.

No one ever doubted Quinn as an improvement over Charlie Frye" Quote from Bud Shaw, Cleveland Plain Dealer columnist May 1, 2007 edition.I never realized until just now that I am "no one." Me and a heck of a lot of other, well versed and intelligent fans disagree with your assessment.Charlie Frye is a pretty good young quarterback. He has demonstrated that he can stand withany other quarterback in the league. Dismissing Charlie because of a pathetic, unproductiveoffensive line is lame.In the final quarterback ratings of 2006 Charlie was ranked just behind Ben Rothelisberger andway above the 2006 Rookie of the Year Vince Young. So, just how is it that Brady Quinn whohas never taken a snap in an NFL game is "an improvement over Charlie Frye"?As a reporter and columnist you are supposed to produce facts. Instead, you give a supposition.Based on what? That Quinn played at Notre Dame and Charlie played at Akron?That is impressive. Based on your logic there should be at least six former Notre Dame defensiveends playing in the NFL that are better than Jason Taylor. Well, where are they?Here is what that pathetic, ill though out draft pick is going to cost the Browns. First, this sets thequarterback situation right back to Tim Couch. Why? Because once again the Browns start over.Two, Quinn is a pretty boy with gel in his hair. He no more looks like an NFL QB than my grandmother. Let us see how Quinn fares getting sacked seven times a game. You and I both know that line is not all that improved. Plus, now we see there is disenchantmentin the club house. That festers. That causes problems. Let us see pretty boy take commandas a leader and quell the hard feelings. It wont happen. Three, Crennel, Savage and that idiot old man traded away the future, you know the future, theone the Browns are supposed to be building, to win now. It will not happen. That kid is not Moses.Four, drafting a known problem child in Eric Wright is another disaster. Crennel could not reinin two spunky young men not known for being bad citizens. And now, Romeo is going to corrala rich bum? Pleeeze.This draft was a disaster. They did not draft for the future. They are trying to save their jobs.They wont. Both Crennel and Savage will be fired at the end of the season. Book it.Crennel and Savage were supposed to have a plan. Where was their plan? After making a wiseinitial pick they went in the toilet. They gave away the future to get Quinn. Quinn the vaunted"improvement over Charlie Frye" that twenty-one teams INCLUDING the Browns passed on.Oh yeah, this is a real brain trust. They were stupid. Quarterbacks are developed. They do notcome into the NFL prepackaged ready to play, lead and get Super Bowl rings.Mark my words well. Charlie Frye will wear a Super Bowl ring he earned by leading his team tothe championship before the Browns ever get to the game.Oh, I forgot, you don't know me. Well, I am the voice that called Brenda and Roda morons forhyping Troy Smith. I took a lot of heat. First round draft pick my foot. I said it months agoand I say it now. No matter where Smith gets picked ... it was too high. None of you "wizards" will stand up and tell the truth. Lest you be cut off from the free buffettable. Not one of you has any onions.Here is a suggestion. Since you are so all fired cock sure that Brady Quinn is "an improvementover Charlie Frye" put YOUR onions where your mouth is. Become the loud, continual voice ofCleveland demanding that the Browns play Quinn now. Not in four games or six games or whenever Charlie falters, play Quinn now. Since Quinn is already better that Frye, back him. you have the newspaper voice, do it. Have your pretty boy sissy lead the charge. Beginning with the first snap of the exhibition season.Promote Quinn as the savior. After all, he's "an improvement over Charlie Frye."I am so disgusted with this "blame Charlie" fiasco that I have decided that after fifty-five yearsof being a Browns fan I am headed to the Steelers camp.
Charlie's NFL QB ranks in 2006:QB Rating - 26thPassing TD's - 27thInterceptions - 27thSacks - 27thPassing Yards - 23rdCompletion % - 5thYards Per Attempt - 26th

I wonder if the fact that Charlie gets a big bonus for being the starting QB this year will play into the decision?I would guess yes, they will figure out how to get him that bonus (it's really not very big), and then turn it over to BQ.This way they (the Browns) look like good guys. :ninja:

GoZips.....excellent work!! I think even those of us that are big Charlie Frye fans can take the fact that the Browns may intend to replace him. But what makes no sense whatsoever is that some moron writer is speaking for "everyone" in saying that we all KNOW that Quinn is better than Frye.Throw me in on the list of people that cynically hopes that Quinn starts on day one. Then we'll see what the media thinks about him once he's under the same defensive pressure that Charlie has faced the last two years, and some NFL defensive linemen start eating him for lunch. Remember, during unsuccessful years, the most popular player on the Browns has always been the backup quarterback. So, maybe it will actually work out better if Charlie is the one starting the season on the bench.

Charlie's NFL QB ranks in 2006:Completion %       -  5thYards Per Attempt - 26th
First a comment about completion percentage. This is how Frye made a name for himself at Akron and how he will stay in the league as a back-up player at least for a couple more years. Completing one pass after another to a guy five yards in front of him is his game. How many of you Browns fans know that the Frye/Winslow combination broke the Newsome record for catches in a year? It should make you Browns fans sick to know that the record of a great Hall of Famer like Newsome was broken by those two. The point is that completions to tight ends do not win NFL games and they didn't win games at Akron. They get first downs now and then while moving the ball between the 20s, but they don't win games for you. Big plays do.Yards per attempt. This statistic describes a risk taker. The greater risk taken, the greater chance of big plays. The Wall Street Journal did a study last December about this statistic (they do strange sports statistics on Fridays). In the previous four Super Bowls, the winning QB was the league leader in this category. When they published the story, Tony Romo was on a roll with Dallas and was leading the league in yards per attempt (I don't know how he ended up with a poor December though). Yards per completion was the most common statistic between the four winners. Since Frye doesn't throw the ball down field, or take a risk, he can never lead the league in this statistic and will never be a winner in the NFL. It's really no more complicated than that.As far as you Browns fans wanting to come over and root for the Steelers, I would just like to say....thanks, but no thanks. We have enough of you already.

Listening to former GM Pat Kerwin on Sirius today speaking of BQ contract.Expect BQ to take 22 pick money made voidable after 1 or 2 years that will pay him like a top ten pick.Pat said he talked to BQ and BQ expects to start day one.He said Tom Condon is the one that worked Matt Lienart contract, don't be surprised if there is a BQ holdout that might hurt him (best chance for superman).

Charlie's NFL QB ranks in 2006:Completion %      -  5thYards Per Attempt - 26th
First a comment about completion percentage. This is how Frye made a name for himself at Akron and how he will stay in the league as a back-up player at least for a couple more years. Completing one pass after another to a guy five yards in front of him is his game. How many of you Browns fans know that the Frye/Winslow combination broke the Newsome record for catches in a year? It should make you Browns fans sick to know that the record of a great Hall of Famer like Newsome was broken by those two. The point is that completions to tight ends do not win NFL games and they didn't win games at Akron. They get first downs now and then while moving the ball between the 20s, but they don't win games for you. Big plays do.Yards per attempt. This statistic describes a risk taker. The greater risk taken, the greater chance of big plays. The Wall Street Journal did a study last December about this statistic (they do strange sports statistics on Fridays). In the previous four Super Bowls, the winning QB was the league leader in this category. When they published the story, Tony Romo was on a roll with Dallas and was leading the league in yards per attempt (I don't know how he ended up with a poor December though). Yards per completion was the most common statistic between the four winners. Since Frye doesn't throw the ball down field, or take a risk, he can never lead the league in this statistic and will never be a winner in the NFL. It's really no more complicated than that.As far as you Browns fans wanting to come over and root for the Steelers, I would just like to say....thanks, but no thanks. We have enough of you already.
Couldn't agree more with your assessment.

It looks like CK, ZW and I are the only "old timers" not in yet with something to say. I guess I'll stick my "2 cent" in now, since the Dude :moon: has come out of nowhere to put something up in this thread.Well...........if you check back, you'll find there's no bigger fan of C Frye than Z-P. Personally, and Professionally. Same goes for his family and the Willard Posse. They're all great in their own ways.However, every year I shell out for 4 season tickets at the Stadium (never mind the investment in my PSL's). It's a nice tidy sum. I'd like to have a little fun out of the investment, thank you very much.If Phil and RAC thing BQ MIGHT POTENTIALLY be a step up,................I'm all for giving it a look see. And I think the way the selection went down took the "polish off the turd" a little bit too.Here's a crazy thing...........the Sarge and I were in the car when the 1st pick was announced. We both screamed with joy, because Big Joe was the right way to go in our humble opinions. Too bad for all the aholes who wanted BQ taken (biggest being Trivisano) Phil did the right thing. Then we started listening to BQ slide. We abandoned the car (radio) and tee'd off so we were out of touch for a few hours.What a shock to learn what had happened.................but you know what? I'm OK with it. BQ got a taste of the humility we all get fed from time to time. We felt bad for C. He must have gone from sky high to the bottom of the barrell in a short period of time.However..............both Charlie and BQ are now going to have to work their asses off to get the job. I'm OK with that too. That's the real world.I haven't heard Charlie disrespected by anyone officially associated with the team. All I keep hearing from those quarters is the job is open. Hell, my job is open if anyone can prove themselves better than me at it..................that's life. Suck it up.So, good luck Superman! We're with you, but earn the job, and a few victories along the way would help matters too.He'll be OK. If his style of speaking and appearance start to wear on the media (compared to BQ) and they (the media) can pressure a change, so be it. That's some more of the real world. He might have to hook up with another team or two before he can blossom. (Actually, I originally prayed he'd not be drafted by the Browns anyway).Too many interruptions, got to get back to my machine.............sorry.

Good post Z-P. And I agree competition is good. Maybe I'm wrong and it will push Charlie to another level? I think when Derek Anderson came in and played well it definitely woke up him a bit and lit a fire under him. Or maybe it'll make Brady Quinn work that much harder in order to become the starter. We'll just have to wait and see.

Too bad for all the aholes who wanted BQ taken (biggest being Trivisano) Phil did the right thing. Then we started listening to BQ slide. We abandoned the car (radio) and tee'd off so we were out of touch for a few hours.However..............both Charlie and BQ are now going to have to work their asses off to get the job. I'm OK with that too. That's the real world.
Good post. Since I'm taking goofing off to a new level today, there are a couple points I would like to expand upon. Trivisano.....Instead of saying Mike Trivisano, you should say Bernie Kosar. I think Triv and Kosar are still close and I think he gets his opinions of NFL players from Bernie. In fact, I think Triv would give Bernie a bl*w j*b if Bernie asked for one. OK, that isn't fair, he would probably stop at a hand job. Anyhow, I have yet to hear an NFL veteran say they would take Frye over even a scrub like Anderson. That really says something. I listened to a game on the radio one day and anyone listening could tell that Doug Dieken (sp?) was sickened by Frye's play. Gary Baxter likes Anderson much better than Frye. I think Baxter was a nine year NFL player and Doug D. had a long career also. These guys know what they are talking about. Triv is just a boob with a microphone.I've been dying for someone to make your second point and you came through for me. The idea that Frye has to compete for the starting position leaves Frye in dangerous and uncharted waters. Even going back to his days at UofA, he didn't earn the starting job, it was given to him. Owens basically gave him the starting job in order to get "his best 11 guys on the field". There was no meaningful competition in any spring practice for the job. Had Sparks not hurt his leg against OU, there would be no Frye in the NFL today. Fast forward to the NFL. Frye didn't earn the job in Cleveland, it was given to him. Dilfer didn't get along with Carthon and he was benched and Frye was given the job.There is no way that Frye shows he is better than BQ when the competition starts. I'm not certain that if the competition was head-to-head against Anderson that Frye wins the back-up spot. Anderson looks like an NFL QB...Frye looks like a moonshine running hillbilly just trying to stay one step ahead of the cops but isn't sure how to do it. Contract considerations will keep Frye with Cleveland though.bigzipguy mentioned a few topics ago that he thinks Frye's luck has run out. I think he is 100% correct.

As a Charlie fan I'm not going to worry about who gets the starting position because "may the best man win!" and Charlie has shown over and over that he rises up to the competition. I just wanted to comment about how many of you are upset that people want to replace Charlie by someone who has never thrown an NFL pass but yet you do the same thing with the Zips. You want to replace guys who been in the program with unproven recruits who have no experience beyond high school. Everyone must realize that a lot can happen between now and opening kick off. The more talent the better! There can never be too much depth! Competition is a good thing! The big question is whether the coaches and managers are going to make Quinn and the others "earn" their spot or if they're just going to be on the field because of their name and to please the public and justify their draft choices.

As a Charlie fan I'm not going to worry about who gets the starting position because "may the best man win!" and Charlie has shown over and over that he rises up to the competition.
Charlie has a career losing record since his freshman year of college. What makes anyone think he can "win" anything?In almost every case, things are exactly as they appear to be. That rule should be applied to Frye.I haven't typed this much about Frye in years. Kind of fun in a way when things just come naturally.

Charlie has a career losing record since his freshman year of college. What makes anyone think he can "win" anything?
It takes more then a qb to win at a team sport.
In almost every case, things are exactly as they appear to be. That rule should be applied to Frye.
I am sure it will be. Its the Brown's coaches decision on who starts the regular season after they look at all 4 qbs during the preseason.Am I biased because I am a Zip in my admiration of Frye? Probably so, but I still think it was a mistake for the Browns to draft a qb this year and especially not Quinn. Hopefully I'll eat have to eat these words, but I don't think Quinn is any better then Frye!I have no problems with Frye being in competition to be the Brown's starting quarterback. I'm just glad is a coaches decision and not one left up to Brown's fans! Most of them have already cut Frye from the team or at least demoted him to third string!

This may be unrelated to the topic at hand but to those of you Akronites who are talking about dropping the Browns as your NFL team, how about considering the Saints as a team to follow instead of the Steelers?This team just drafted Zip lineman Andy Alleman and then followed that pick up by selecting Akron native Antonio Pittman. There is definitely a Rubber City element on that team now.

I have a good question. Just for discussion purposes.What if Quinn had come out of college last year. And since the Browns appear to be willing to sell the franchise down the river to get him, they probably would have taken him last year also.So....the question is....if Quinn was Cleveland's starter last year, would they have been a good football team?If your answer is "No, because they still have too many other problems that need to be addressed in order to become a good team".......then.....Why did they draft another quarterback ????? And why this year ????

I have a good question. Just for discussion purposes.What if Quinn had come out of college last year. And since the Browns appear to be willing to sell the franchise down the river to get him, they probably would have taken him last year also.So....the question is....if Quinn was Cleveland's starter last year, would they have been a good football team?If your answer is "No, because they still have too many other problems that need to be addressed in order to become a good team".......then.....Why did they draft another quarterback ????? And why this year ????
Quinn will struggle at first too, so I'm not sure they would've been too much better. But Quinn in two years far surpasses Frye in two years...just my opinion...and that's why the drafted him this year.

I'm sorry, but comparing Quinn to Frye is like comparing apples to oranges. Quinn played better competition on national TV every single week. He knows how to handle the pressure of the media and is definitely a good pick-up for the Browns. Will he be the right guy to start this season?? NO-Frye should start early on and if he continues to struggle like he has; give Quinn a shot.The last thing you need to do is ruin Quinn's psychee or what have you. If Quinn starts against the Steelers and they get their ass handed to them; guess who will remember it the rest of his life: BRADY QUINN.Quinn will develop into a far better QB than Frye; but for the early part of this season, I think Frye is the right guy to go with. And btw: I am NO Browns fan. I am offering my unbiased Point of View.

Quinn played better competition on national TV every single week. He knows how to handle the pressure of the media and is definitely a good pick-up for the Browns.
Quinn's competition last year was Army, Navy and the Air Force.Frye was playing the Steelers, Ravens and Bengals. They even showed a few Browns games on TV last year.Good comparison. :rolleyes:

Quinn played better competition on national TV every single week. He knows how to handle the pressure of the media and is definitely a good pick-up for the Browns.
Quinn's competition last year was Army, Navy and the Air Force.Frye was playing the Steelers, Ravens and Bengals. They even showed a few Browns games on TV last year.Good comparison. :rolleyes:
I'm pretty sure he meant their respective opponents in college...I think anyways. :thumb: