NCAA Rules changes

K-Roo

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news?slug=ap...ov=ap&type=lgnsTwo decades after adding the 3-point line, the NCAA men's basketball rules committee approved a measure Thursday that will move the line back one foot -- from 19 feet, 9 inches to 20 feet, 9 inches. If approved by the playing rules oversight committee on May 25, it would mark the first major change to 3-pointers since their adoption.

Reading that article really confirms what kind of morons are running the NCAA. They are going to change it to another distance, yet it is still different from the NBA and the International 3 point line. Let's get some kind of consistency here. Either make it match one of the other two or leave it alone!!! :chair:

I think it will hurt mid-majors. The 3-point shot is a big equalizer for teams like Akron who typically don't have the big men to compete in the paint with BCS-level schools. The NCAA just made the shot more difficult. A foot doesn't sound like much, but it is. Especially at the end of a game. :chair:

Reading that article really confirms what kind of morons are running the NCAA. They are going to change it to another distance, yet it is still different from the NBA and the International 3 point line. Let's get some kind of consistency here. Either make it match one of the other two or leave it alone!!!
I agree completely. I think they ARE going to be able to choose between 20' 9" and 20' 6" (FIBA rules) once they put it to a vote. Hopefully, they'll go with 20' 6", IMO.

Coming from someone with a coaching background, I actually see even more disadvantages for the mid-major schools.Sure, it will reduce 3-point shooting percentage, which is one of the most often used tools to keep a smaller opponent in a game.And it will also spread the floor and open up more opportunities in the paint for the big men.But think about a couple more issues that will hurt the smaller D-1 schools....1) Defenders will, in general, have to cover more of the court on the defensive end, which will give an advantage to teams with more depth.2) It will be more risky to use two defenders to trap someone in the baseline area because the distance to run back out and pick up an unguarded 3-point shooter will be lengthened.

2) It will be more risky to use two defenders to trap someone in the baseline area because the distance to run back out and pick up an unguarded 3-point shooter will be lengthened.
More risky? I think it will encourage more traps and double teams as players/coaches/ teams will "give" the opposition the open (longer) shot.

I'd bet you'd be hard pressed to find a coach that will suddenly decide to start allowing opponents to take uncontested shots, just because the shot is 12" longer. And frankly, as a player, I'd much rather shoot an open shot from 21 feet than a 20 footer with a defender's hand in my face.We'll see what happens, but there's just way too many college players that can hit that shot if left alone.

i think this rule really hurts the mid major schools. it will make it more difficult for some kids a coach may take because he is a good three point shooter to get a scholly.i don't know about any of you, but i would rather have a wide open two foot shoot,than a wide open half court shot.i don't know who wanted the change but i dont like it.another point made a poster is what to do about the women's game. not to bright.

Yeah, we probably won't see as many mid-majors winning the national championship anymore with this rule change. Actually it won't change the distribution of talent to the schools much if at all but it will make the first couple of rounds of the tourney very predictable and boring. Big schools getting eliminated early takes too much revenue out of the stream I suppose. They might as well go ahead and subdivide Div. 1 at this point.

Considering the situation next season with the Zips and how it relates to conference play, I don't see how this hurts the Zips.Teams now will have to consider either playing Jeremiah straight up .. playing a zone, or bringing the double team from the weakside baseline. It's going to take too much to double down, so they're going to have to double over. Assuming one of either Swiech or Bardo can move to the hoop without traveling or falling down, I think that guy has lots of open looks coming to him from inside 8 feet. J Wood is VERY good at recognizing the double and passing out of it .. and his interior passing has been good. If he's getting doubled across the lane, the weakside 5 man is gonna get some good shots. If they hit them .. then you've got J Wood being defended one on one .. and in its current state, I don't think the league has too many guys who can win that situation.

Zip Watcher..that's a pretty accurate analysis. The double from the weak side would, in most cases, open up the long jumper from the weak side. But it will likely also open up some easy layups from the weak side also. This is why I am pointing to possible depth problems. There's going to be a lot of people scrambling to pick up shooters, and if you don't have 10 guys that can move around on the floor on the defensive end, many teams will be out of gas by the 2nd half.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like the change is official. Per ESPN's website..."An NCAA panel on Friday adopted a recommendation to move the men's 3-point line to 20 feet, 9 inches for the 2008-09 college basketball season. The decision, by the playing rules oversight panel, marks the first major alteration to the 3-point shot since its adoption in 1986-87. The new 3-point line also must be a contrasting color to the current 19-9 3-point line, which women's college basketball is retaining. While coaches had been in favor of the change, others said it would not solve crowding near the basket unless the free-throw lane was expanded as well. The panel also said it adopted other changes proposed by the men's basketball rules committee. Those included eliminating the first lane space nearest the basket on each side and allowing officials to use courtside monitors to determine whether a flagrant foul has occurred, or which players may have played a role in an fight. The new men's rule is for all three college divisions. '"In recent years, the rules committee has conducted a great deal of research and held many discussions regarding the court markings," said panel chairman Rob Halvaks, senior associate commissioner of the Big West Conference. "The panel supports this action and hopes it has the committee's intended effect on the game.""I say, make the women's 3-point line pink to avoid any confusion. One thing that Andy Katz noted on ESPN was the possibility of a foot-wide strip where the front of the strip would mark the women's line and the back would mark the men's--I think that would look pretty dumb but would help eliminate confusion--except of course on courts where an international line is also desired.It doesn't go into effect until 2008-9 so any benefit Jeremiah Wood may get from it is a moot point.