Sean Hakes

Zip_ME87

Looks like Sean will be playing for a Community College in California. http://www.dailypilot.com/articles/2007/08...t-sphakes24.txtOCC football bolstered by transfer quarterbackReader Feedback - Currently No comments posted. CommentsAs with most football programs in the preseason, the defense is ahead of the offense at Orange Coast College.But that may change sooner than later with the addition of transfer Sean Hakes, a 6-foot-3, 225-pound freshman who earned all-state honors while leading Nolan Catholic High of Fort Worth to a Texas state championship in 2005.Hakes, who received scholarship offers from Mississippi, Colorado State, Bowling Green and Akron before electing to attend Akron last season, redshirted for the Zips in 2006.“Akron wasn’t working out for me,” Hakes said Thursday, his fourth day of practice with the Pirates. “We had a couple top receivers leave and the program wasn’t going where I wanted it to go. The first day of fall camp, I asked for my release and got it.”Rather than transfer to a Division I school, where he would be forced to sit out, Hakes said he wanted to play for a community college this year.He visited OCC, Palomar and Saddleback, over the weekend, before selecting OCC.“With the facilities here, the coaches here and with this team, I think we can do some big things here,” he said.Returning sophomore Chris Debowski was penciled in to be the starting quarterback, but he broke the ring finger on his throwing hand before fall practice opened.OCC Coach Mike Taylor said freshmen Kyle Manning, out of El Toro High, and Taylor Hughes, the Newport-Mesa Offensive Player of the Year last season at Corona del Mar High, were next in line, but were still learning the offense.Taylor said Hakes could play in the Sept. 1 season opener at Citrus and Hakes is optimistic.“I feel like I have the offense down pretty well and I’ve only been here four days,” Hakes said. “Me and [Offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Matt Mitchell] are working hard to get me up to speed. I’m not saying I’m just going to walk in and take over, but I definitely want to be competing.”Orange Coast will get a chance to gauge Hakes’ progress when the Pirates scrimmage West Los Angeles today at 1 p.m. at OCC.

We had a couple top receivers leave and the program wasn’t going where I wanted it to go.
What a load of crap. So we lost a few recievers. Does that mean the team is going down the gutters? Or is it because the team is stressing discipline more than before, and that bothered him? Hakes left because he was 4th on the depth chart and saw the writing on the wall. Just admit it.

We had a couple top receivers leave and the program wasn’t going where I wanted it to go.
What a load of crap. So we lost a few recievers. Does that mean the team is going down the gutters? Or is it because the team is stressing discipline more than before, and that bothered him? Hakes left because he was 4th on the depth chart and saw the writing on the wall. Just admit it.
I didn't like that quote either. But, I don't know the circumstances under which he was recruited or under which he left. I guess he could have said worse.

I will be looking for the name "Sean Hakes" to pop up on the radar at a WAC or MWC school in a year or two. Orange Coast is a good place to prep for that level of program. If he has the skill we all thought, he could still be a starter at a mid-major. And when he does, we can all say, "Well, he wasn't good enuf for us!" ;)

I will be looking for the name "Sean Hakes" to pop up on the radar at a WAC or MWC school in a year or two. Orange Coast is a good place to prep for that level of program. If he has the skill we all thought, he could still be a starter at a mid-major. And when he does, we can all say, "Well, he wasn't good enuf for us!" ;)
Those are my sentiments as well. From the few times I talked with Sean, he came across as a very respectful person. I don't believe he had anything against Akron. He just wanted to start and needed to do what he felt was right for himself. (Sometimes you do have to put yourself first in order to be successful.) I hope he does turn up in a D-I program next year and does well.

At one time, I really thought he was going to be our starter. I really would rather see a guy stick around and compete, rather than give up and go somewhere else. But, it was evident that he wanted to play some football this year, and this was his chance. Although I wish him luck, if he ends up popping up as a good QB at another D-1A program down the road, wouldn't that make us question our decision to bench him?

At one time, I really thought he was going to be our starter. I really would rather see a guy stick around and compete, rather than give up and go somewhere else. But, it was evident that he wanted to play some football this year, and this was his chance. Although I wish him luck, if he ends up popping up as a good QB at another D-1A program down the road, wouldn't that make us question our decision to bench him?
Hopefully our QB will be all MAC at that time and the decision will look like a good one.

I fully support our QB's...Chris, Carlton, and Matt and those to come. I want to see them excel. I just don't fault Sean for doing what he felt he needed to do for himself.

He should have been man enough to say that he got beat out for the starters job and he wanted to transfer so he could play. There is no shame in that. Instead he has to give the university that gave him a scholarship a slap across the face by saying "the program isn't going in the direction I would like." What he really means is "Since I am not starting the team isn't going in the direction I would like."

...A little bit of a double standard, don't you think?
Kind of how some posters are allowed to talk about how teams are so great that we don't stand a chance, but when logical arguments are made to the contrary they get mad about it.The fact is, he transferred, and then was quoted "burning" the University of Akron. "the program was not going in the direction I wanted." That is cry-baby talk for "I don't stand an f-ing chance to start for this team." Or considering he pointed out the receivers leaving, maybe he was fearful of falling to the same fate as Harvey and Lindsay.

...A little bit of a double standard, don't you think?
Kind of how some posters are allowed to talk about how teams are so great that we don't stand a chance, but when logical arguments are made to the contrary they get mad about it.The fact is, he transferred, and then was quoted "burning" the University of Akron. "the program was not going in the direction I wanted." That is cry-baby talk for "I don't stand an f-ing chance to start for this team." Or considering he pointed out the receivers leaving, maybe he was fearful of falling to the same fate as Harvey and Lindsay.
I think I completely missed what you are trying to say in the first paragraph.Are you saying I get mad when others try to put an argument up against what I am saying? Please show me where I got mad. PLEASEIf so, you are terribly wrong. I state logical facts. Certain others don't seem to be able to discuss things rationally to counter those facts. Then they resort to name calling or being vicious. Of course I am then obliged to respond accordingly. If others start a topic attacking either one of my Alma Maters, no matter which board it is, I will defend it. I have never, ever, ever, ever, ever started a discussion on my other Alma Mater, NEVER.If you are talling about what I think you are talking about, I think you need to reread that entire thread from the start. When reading it, please take off Blue and Gold sunglasses. Also, please be aware that the poster that started the crap on that thread has now edited his post.I could go on much more about that, but there is no need to waste your time or mine. I will just say this, you are terribly wrong. Remember, I didn't start this part of the conversation.I will be done with this part of the thread now as I know it is a no-win situation.Now, if I misinterpreted what you were saying in that opening paragraph, I sincerely apologize.Now onto, the Hakes discussion. You are correct. He did "burn" UA. However, my point was that most transfers say something to that affect. Very few say, "I wasn't good enough", or I didn't want to wait my turn", etc. They "usually" try to place blame on the school they are leaving. These things don't bother me at all. These are 18-19 year old kids. If I was really worried about it and had time, I could probably go to other teams boards where some of our transfers have come from, and find dumb things they have said about their old school too. However, I really don't care. Do you truly believe that all of the transfers UA gets are saying great things about their former schools?

...Are you saying I get mad when others try to put an argument up against what I am saying? Please show me where I got mad. PLEASE
Case in point.That long impassioned little banter there is proof that you do get mad when people challenge your point of view. You don't bring up your other Alma Mater? Search Buckzip and count the number of OSU references. Oh so many. Whether it is after someone brought it up or not is irrellevant. Because you constantly compare our players to OSU's. I like you, you have good points and nice edge. But the fact is, that fans are allowed to complain about someone burning their school. And truthfully most transfers keep their mouth shut when they do transfer. The school embraced Hakes, gave him a shot, he and the coaches couldn't see him winning a spot, he transferred. Happens at every school every year. Most of them don't say "Well, Iowa is spiralling downward" "OSU just isn't going the right path for me." most of them man up and say "the coach couldn't find a spot to use me" or "i couldn't show my skills there".

"You don't bring up your other Alma Mater? Search Buckzip and count the number of OSU references. Oh so many. Whether it is after someone brought it up or not is irrellevant. Because you constantly compare our players to OSU's""Constantly", that is pure BS and you know it. There was 1-ONE thread where that was discussed. 1-ONE. I am not mad, I am merely telling you the facts.Well then, I guess we will agree to disagree. :P You feel I shouldn't defend my Alma Mater when it is attacked. I feel differently.You are obviously a better person than me. :thumb: Are you an NFL referee? It seems that you look down on the person that is retaliating, rather than the instigator. Oh well, your choice.BTW, there is a difference between being passionate and being mad.I am still waiting to prove your point where I get mad. I even said "PLEASE" :DBY the way, you need to visit these types of boards more often. If you think mild debates is considered being mad, you should see some others out there. However, most of it is in good fun. This is sports. Not life and death.

BTW, there is a difference between being passionate and being mad.I am still waiting to prove your point where I get mad. I even said "PLEASE" :D
Well, passion has to be focused. So you are either loving the fact that people write back at you with some of their own passion. (which makes you a troll) Or you are angry because no one respects your wisdom or the superiority :bow: of OSU.Either way my point is proven. And this thread was on Sean Hakes, and his decision to leave a program that was not heading in the right direction. Which we all know is direction not towards Sean Hakes.

Dude no offense but I just don't get your arguement. Why would he transfer before the first day of camp if he was getting equal reps??? I just feel like we don't have all the info.I really thought he was gonna be our starter this year especially after I watched him this Spring. He looked like the most talented QB we had, especially in the Spring Game. I think there had to be something else going on that we don;t know about that caused him to leave... maybe I'm the only one but I'm sort of confused. A buddy of mine on the team thought he was gonna start which is another reason I'm so perplexed.

BTW, there is a difference between being passionate and being mad.I am still waiting to prove your point where I get mad. I even said "PLEASE" :D
Well, passion has to be focused. So you are either loving the fact that people write back at you with some of their own passion. (which makes you a troll) Or you are angry because no one respects your wisdom or the superiority :bow: of OSU.Either way my point is proven. And this thread was on Sean Hakes, and his decision to leave a program that was not heading in the right direction. Which we all know is direction not towards Sean Hakes.
No point proven at all. Only that you enjoy sarcasm. You really do make no sense, but that's ok. You win. I really do quit this time.On other message boards, people have 5-6 page long threads on the same discussion. going back and forth. That is what makes this stuff fun.On here, you consider it trolling. LOL.Is is called-debating, or discussing or 100 other things. We don't call names and we don't atttack. We have fun.Oh well, to each their own. Good luck to you.

Dude no offense but I just don't get your arguement. Why would he transfer before the first day of camp if he was getting equal reps??? I just feel like we don't have all the info.I really thought he was gonna be our starter this year especially after I watched him this Spring. He looked like the most talented QB we had, especially in the Spring Game. I think there had to be something else going on that we don;t know about that caused him to leave... maybe I'm the only one but I'm sort of confused. A buddy of mine on the team thought he was gonna start which is another reason I'm so perplexed.
There is always more to the story than any of us will know. Maybe JD told him it would be in his best interests to transfer. Maybe he saw the writing on the wall. Maybe he knew he didn't have the talent that the others had. It could be anything. In high school he was a pretty highly rated QB. It was great that we got him.

I find it hilarious that g-mann wants to talk smack about Buckzip being an OSU fan in this thread and then tries to call him out for changing the topic when he is the one that did it with this line..."Kind of how some posters are allowed to talk about how teams are so great that we don't stand a chance, but when logical arguments are made to the contrary they get mad about it." You just called him and me out on that one. I hate to tell you, but you never brought up any logical arguments in that thread you were referencing and for the most part of this thread you still don't. I ripped all your "misinformations" to shreds and somehow you still believe the lies you post on this board even after I posted all the facts to correct your errors. You obviously have serious penis envy when it comes to OSU, or hating on them and their fans wouldn't consume you so much. Just drop the whole OSU issue please because it is getting old. If you want to remain in your little shell and convince yourself that we stand a snow balls chance in hell of winning the game on September 8th go ahead. You are the one that looks foolish and biased, not the other guy. I have still yet to hear ONE rational reason from you why we stand a chance. Your big theory was "Wells fumbled 4 times last year." Yup, that sounds like a winner right there. However, I do agree with you on one point you made. It was a slap in the face what he said about the university. You don't burn bridges and he just did. Granted, other kids do say the same things, but it doesn't make it right. Most kids, however, respect the university they are leaving enough to say something along the lines of "things just aren't working out." or "I just wanted to go somewhere where I could step in to play and show people what I can do." Also, I don't get mad. I just state "unbiased" facts from a fan of BOTH teams. To show I am unbiased, I can write for you why OSU wouldn't beat USC. Would that make you feel better? Neither one of us said OSU would beat the Indianapolis Colts, but somehow that is how you like to portrait it to make yourself look like a die hard fan on this board and score kudos points with some of the other people on here that are as unobjective as you.Good day

I find it hilarious that g-mann wants to talk smack about Buckzip being an OSU fan in this thread and then tries to call him out for changing the topic when he is the one that did it with this line..."Kind of how some posters are allowed to talk about how teams are so great that we don't stand a chance, but when logical arguments are made to the contrary they get mad about it." You just called him and me out on that one. I hate to tell you, but you never brought up any logical arguments in that thread you were referencing and for the most part of this thread you still don't. I ripped all your "misinformations" to shreds and somehow you still believe the lies you post on this board even after I posted all the facts to correct your errors. You obviously have serious penis envy when it comes to OSU, or hating on them and their fans wouldn't consume you so much. Just drop the whole OSU issue please because it is getting old. If you want to remain in your little shell and convince yourself that we stand a snow balls chance in hell of winning the game on September 8th go ahead. You are the one that looks foolish and biased, not the other guy. I have still yet to hear ONE rational reason from you why we stand a chance. Your big theory was "Wells fumbled 4 times last year." Yup, that sounds like a winner right there. However, I do agree with you on one point you made. It was a slap in the face what he said about the university. You don't burn bridges and he just did. Granted, other kids do say the same things, but it doesn't make it right. Most kids, however, respect the university they are leaving enough to say something along the lines of "things just aren't working out." or "I just wanted to go somewhere where I could step in to play and show people what I can do." Also, I don't get mad. I just state "unbiased" facts from a fan of BOTH teams. To show I am unbiased, I can write for you why OSU wouldn't beat USC. Would that make you feel better? Neither one of us said OSU would beat the Indianapolis Colts, but somehow that is how you like to portrait it to make yourself look like a die hard fan on this board and score kudos points with some of the other people on here that are as unobjective as you.Good day
Oh look it's Zipgrad01 that doesn't understand logic; back with another long winded complaint about being unobjective yet still believes Chris Wells is god's gift to running backs. If you feel that I am unobjective because I broke down flaws on the OSU squad (wait what? there are flaws with the most perfect team in the nation?) ;) and said that if the Zips play a perfect game they could take advantage of those flaws and win. Well then if that is being an unobjective fanboy; well then you can just call me Zipgrad01.Anyway I am glad to see that you agree with my comment that players shouldn't be burning teams and that fans have a right to be angry about it.It's just too bad your unobjective, misinterpreting self had to try and take a dig at the same time. "Despite differences; there is always common ground."

Where did I mention Chris Wells being God one time? You lied in the other thread about who recruited him saying that OSU was the only school that went after him. You lied about his high school stats. You lied about Tressel saying that he would take Tony Hunt over Wells. I never said he was god's gift or the greatest. I just pointed out your lies.Find me one sentence where I said OSU was the most perfect team in the nation. In fact, I said they lose anywhere from 1-3 games. Does that sound perfect? You are the uninformed troll that said they may be .500 and get beat by a MAC team this year. You are the one that lied saying Tressel knew this was going to be a bad year so that is why he scheduled Washington, YSU, Akron, etc.. when everyone knows OSU scheduled Washington in the 90's when they were #1 in the country.You listed OSU's flaws according to you (an uneducated poster on OSU), so I had to inform you of facts you overlooked. It doesn't change the fact that Akron would have to play perfect and OSU would have to play the worst game in the programs history to lose. Just because I say that doesn't make me a "fanboy" for OSU. It just makes me the one that doesn't have his head shoved so far up Zippy's ass that he can't tell fantasy from reality. We are on here debating whether we will beat ARMY!!! You honestly want to sit here and tell me "with a straight face" that I am a fanboy because I say we have no chance against OSU?Any time you want to debate any real facts about football go ahead. I will be unbiased about the Zips, Buckeyes, Browns or high school ball if you like. I state it like I see it without bias. Somehow, you can't get that through your head.FYI...the only reason I dig at you is because you do it to anyone that doesn't agree with your opinion. Not only that, you come on a Sean Hakes thread and attack Buckzip when he never even remotely mentioned OSU. YOU brought it up, so don't even start. I can wipe the floor with you all day long on here, so I suggest you stop before you keep getting embarrassed and everyone sees you for the unobjective troll that you are.

YOU brought it up, so don't even start. I can wipe the floor with you all day long on here, so I suggest you stop before you keep getting embarrassed and everyone sees you for the unobjective troll that you are.
You can wipe the floor all day long with me? LOLI called you and Buckzip out for the same thing a long time ago. Then on this thread I called Buckzip out for saying people have a double standard. And as from what I can see, you both and as well as a few of the other "fair weather" OSU front-running fanboys do have a double standard. The Zips aren't perfect, that's an easy assessment. Because I am a realist.OSU is far from what they were last year, but all of you fanboys seem to think they will be competing with The Blue for the Big 10 championship maybe even back where they were. They certainly won't lose to Akron. HAH! That my friend is a double standard.Wipe the floor with me, you can't even wipe your own ass. I'm not getting back into the OSU being weak this year argument. Everyone has read what I wrote. The only arguments I got were from you fanboys. I'm trying to get along with you guys on here, I didn't say anything offensive, I just argued my point. Then you have to come along with your crybaby, Google searching self and tell me I'm a liar. Anyone can send a recruitment letter, that doesn't mean they "recrutied" every school in the country knew Tressel had Wells. Wells' stats are inflated, like I said I am close to the Akron High School football scene. But I am done defending my comments. You have a jaded view, every poster on here knows you have a jaded view. So 'nuff said. And obviously the only person who got embarrassed in all of this was you. I wrote, and you wrote "My, my my. I feel bad about tearing this apart, but you obviously have no idea what is going on in Columbus."I'm afraid that everyone on here has more knowledge of what goes on C-bus then you do my friend. And again, go back read, and see how you got embarrased. You little fanboy troll.And again this is a Zips fan board so enough with the OSU crap.