Rover Position Discussion

skip-zip

If my observations are correct, when Mackey left the game we saw quite a bit more of Wayne Cobham and Brandon Anderson the rest of the game. I believe Cobham is the one listed as Mackey's #2 on the depth chart, but isn't he much more of a safety than a linebacker? And Anderson is definitely a DB. I'm not really concerned about our ability to cover receivers. I've seen Cobham make some good plays in the secondary in practice. But, losing such a great tackler when he plays up near the line of scrimmage might be where we'll miss Mackey the most. Maybe we'll throw an athletic linebacker like Paris McNeal into the game more in running situations to cover for the loss of Mackey. I'm interested in your thoughts.

We have to do what we do for now. The position is really designed for a strong safety so the replacement is probably picked already from that type of player. Actually, the replacement was picked during training camp. It is a physical position so the risk of getting hurt is greater than most DBs. I can live with a #2, but if that person gets hurt we could be scraping to find someone. Regardless of the size of school, there is a big drop off from #1 to #2.....think of how bad it could be if we had to go further or really move some people around and disrupt everything.

that's some great ponints gp.i know mc neal looks to be a decent lb.i do agree if we lose another lb we are going to be in trouble.if robinson comes back why not use some 4-3 defense.this is probably te first time we have had two 300 lbs line man.why not use them.

There won't be a 4-3 defense. We are way too thin on the defensive line, and that would be a total change from the current scheme.
The Zips do have a sub package which is a 4-3. Their base set as most of us know is a 3-3-5 stack look, but a look that the Zips have and is used quite often is a four man front look where the Bandit goes down on the line and one of the ends (Tackle on the depth chart) shades over to a 3 technique. The nose shades to a one and the other end is in a five. The Rover comes down to what would be an outside linebacker position in a typical 4-3. So the 4-3 is already incorporated into the Zips defense if you watch the game closely.... I seriously doubt that they'll use it more now though.

Wayne is one of the hardest hitters on the team. He is every bit as fast as mackey and adds more size to the position. The big loss in not having Mackey is heart, desire and football smarts. I think Wayne will fill in just fine. Just needs some time to get more reps and learn how to be a leader. Mackey was the heart and soul of the defense and I wish him the best and hope he can get a medical redshirt.

InTheZone....if you read Racer's post, they are obviously referring to using two DTs and two DEs. We simply don't have the personnel, or the depth to pull this off.I am aware of how we use Brion Stokes as a 4th defensive lineman. But that is a situational alignment, and not a change in personnel.
Well it's not Brion Stokes it's Doug Williams, who came to UA as a d-end, but your point is taken about Rasor.