Marshall Week

zipboy

And I like our chances. This is the start of something special and it continues Friday night. Marshall has more talent, they have the stats as Mastodan points out, they have played in the big games. Our last big game was Marshall 4 years ago. Yet I like our toughness and look for a tight game on Friday. The Zips are finding ways to win.

Comparing comparable opponents in FUC, Buffalo, and Can't, Marshall is only beating them by 1 TD more than us. The greatest gift from the Lee Owens era was beating Marshall 2 years ago. That I actually saw it with my own eyes tells me that we can play with and beat those guys.

All MAC QBs generally win the big game when it counts in the MAC. And we have the big one for once. Special teams rocks, the D is playing well enough to win. It is going to be a special night. For the first time ever if we are up by 3 with 2 minutes left and Marshall takes over at their own 35, I have faith that the D will hold.

A national spotlight in front of 30K+ for 1st place, this is one of those once in a decade type moments that can spur the program on to visibility and greatness. Someway, somehow, this team will "sac" up and get it done.

Mastodan, hope to see you at the game. You seem like a cool guy.

Zips 24 Marshall 14. For once I feel like my head and heart are in synch.

Guest Mastodon
And I like our chances. This is the start of something special and it continues Friday night. Marshall has more talent, they have the stats as Mastodan points out, they have played in the big games. Our last big game was Marshall 4 years ago. Yet I like our toughness and look for a tight game on Friday. The Zips are finding ways to win.

Comparing comparable opponents in FUC, Buffalo, and Can't, Marshall is only beating them by 1 TD more than us. The greatest gift from the Lee Owens era was beating Marshall 2 years ago. That I actually saw it with my own eyes tells me that we can play with and beat those guys.

All MAC QBs generally win the big game when it counts in the MAC. And we have the big one for once. Special teams rocks, the D is playing well enough to win. It is going to be a special night. For the first time ever if we are up by 3 with 2 minutes left and Marshall takes over at their own 35, I have faith that the D will hold.

A national spotlight in front of 30K+ for 1st place, this is one of those once in a decade type moments that can spur the program on to visibility and greatness. Someway, somehow, this team will "sac" up and get it done.

Mastodan, hope to see you at the game. You seem like a cool guy.

Zips 24 Marshall 14. For once I feel like my head and heart are in synch.

I'll be watching the game on the big screen and thanks for the compliment :cheers:

I respect your opinion regarding your defense, but based on the fact that your team defense ranks 95th in the country, how is it again, that you feel so confident.

You were beated 148 - 29 by the decent teams on your schedule.

You lost at home to MTSU.

You beat 4 teams with a combined record of 4 wins and 29 losses.

I am not ripping your team, I expect a possible tough game, I mean that is why we play the games, I just dont see how your are loaded down with confidence.

Its not that we are overconfident. Its that we have never really been in this position in a long time. Usually at this time in the season, our season is over, and we are looking for moral victories. Now, we have a national televised game coming up with a record of 4-1 in the MAC.

Marshall is much more talented and will definitely have the edge in this one, but with the way our team has been stepping it up weak by weak, we have a good reason to be excited. I'm sure it will be a good game, and exposure like this will be great for both programs. It looks like there will be a good crowd for this one, which will be good.

Mrhred05, good point about the stats. The last 3 weeks, the D has really come together. They have given some points at the end in all 3 games. They also give up yardage but they seem to make big plays. Granted the last 3 games were vs FUC, Ball State, and Buffalo, not 3 world beaters. You guys have a tremendous D and a poor offense. I think that our D can hold you down and I look for a low scoring, close ballgame. Our special teams is playing well, so I like our chances. As the post above said though, we are downright giddy right now. Should be a hardfought game.

Though I hope that the Zips throw down on Marshall, I am in no way looking at the Zips as having an advantage here. I got burned early on and am wary of getting to high at this point. Remember folks, our wins are against basically the worst of the worst. We are all aware of the growing pains that have happened this year and I do believe that we are a much better team than the one that took the field during the first game this season. IMO, we have been making steady improvements week to week, whether this adds up to a team that is now competitive to Marshall.....well, I hope so :unsure:

Guest Roo Poacher
Marshall is probably saying the same thing now. I think the combined record of teams that we beat is something like 4-30? Marshall beat the same teams and OU. They played much better OOC. But we are a different team than we were in Sept.

You seem to forget that we also beat MofO.

Now believe me when I tell you this: Your defense has not improved. If BSU, Can't, UCF & Buffalo put 20 points on you, we certainly can.

Also, the same teams that were tagging your defense for 3 TDs a game, were only scoring 1 TD a game against us (20 points vs 8 ppg).

Akron is 95th in the country in Rushing Defense. We are 20th. If the weather forecast is even close, that spells disaster for the Skippys.

Our defense will have 2 ints, 2 fumble recoveries and 6 sacks. You have never, nor will you ever again, see a defense in the Trojan Bowl like you'll be facing Friday. I'd say good luck but even luck won't stop Goddard from eating his fill of kanaroo flesh and Fryes. :lol: