CJ11 is now the starter???

Dr Z

Per Razor:Chris Jacquemain is now the starting quarterback, according to the updated depth chart.J.D. Brookhart benched Carlton Jackson against UConn for skipping a morning’s worth of meetings and treatments for his ankle on Tuesday, a source tells me.Either the coach decided to extend that punishment, or he liked what he saw out of Jacquemain. My guess is probably the latter, given Jacquemain’s decent stats against a staunch defense.

Nice pick-up DrZ :thumb: . I just had a feeling of dread wash over me for many reasons.I bet my brother $100 that CJ11 would never start another game by beating out CJ7 after the showing at UCONN. I still have my $100 if this is punishment. If not, I'm out $100 to a guy who needs $100 like he needs a hole in the head. Someone please find out.Playing CJ11 eliminates one of our playmakers for a "safe" player. The only playmaker remaining is Jabari. How hard is it to stop our offense with Jabari as the only playmaker? Not difficult........ I do think it is difficult to stop with CJ7 in the game though.

Nice pick-up DrZ  :thumb: .  I just had a feeling of dread wash over me for many reasons.I bet my brother $100 that CJ11 would never start another game by beating out CJ7 after the showing at UCONN.  I still have my $100 if this is punishment.  If not, I'm out $100 to a guy who needs $100 like he needs a hole in the head.  Someone please find out.Playing CJ11 eliminates one of our playmakers for a "safe" player.  The only playmaker remaining is Jabari.  How hard is it to stop our offense with Jabari as the only playmaker?  Not difficult........  I do think it is difficult to stop with CJ7 in the game though.
No one said he wasn't going to play...they just said he wasn't the starter. I am happy with JD's decision. how can u lead a team on the field if you don't do what you are suppose to do off? CJ7 you need to lead by example, you are setting the tone for offense when you are under center and don't think freshmen don't watch upper class men's antics. Be mature and take care off business. A 50K scholarship, the least you could do is go to meetings and get you ankle iced!!!This kinda stuff is what strikes a nerve with me, I had to endure some terrible seasons cause I played with talented guys who didn't wanna work, or simply did dumb shit.Missing meetings = not reading offenses or defensive coverages correctlyNot going to treatment = season long nagging injuriesNot going to class = ineligible playersGeez!!!!

Nice pick-up DrZ  :thumb: .  I just had a feeling of dread wash over me for many reasons.I bet my brother $100 that CJ11 would never start another game by beating out CJ7 after the showing at UCONN.  I still have my $100 if this is punishment.  If not, I'm out $100 to a guy who needs $100 like he needs a hole in the head.  Someone please find out.Playing CJ11 eliminates one of our playmakers for a "safe" player.  The only playmaker remaining is Jabari.  How hard is it to stop our offense with Jabari as the only playmaker?  Not difficult........  I do think it is difficult to stop with CJ7 in the game though.
No one said he wasn't going to play...they just said he wasn't the starter. I am happy with JD's decision. how can u lead a team on the field if you don't do what you are suppose to do off? CJ7 you need to lead by example, you are setting the tone for offense when you are under center and don't think freshmen don't watch upper class men's antics. Be mature and take care off business. A 50K scholarship, the least you could do is go to meetings and get you ankle iced!!!This kinda stuff is what strikes a nerve with me, I had to endure some terrible seasons cause I played with talented guys who didn't wanna work, or simply did dumb shit.Missing meetings = not reading offenses or defensive coverages correctlyNot going to treatment = season long nagging injuriesNot going to class = ineligible playersGeez!!!!
How much punishment is enough? I think basically missing the UCONN game was punishment enough for missing a meeting or treatment. Probably too much. If the infraction was more than that it could explain why he is not starting this week. If JD thinks CJ11 gives us a better shot at winning than CJ7, he was not paying attention the first five games.I really am not in favor of CJ11 playing at all unless he must. His time in the games is just a waste of time and there are only 60 minutes in a game. Time can't be wasted. Akron will be 2-4 if he plays more than two series this Saturday. If CJ11 is going to play, we need to change to a different type of offense, but it's too late in the season to do that. There is no deception running the option when he is in the game as there is no threat of him keeping the ball or even getting very far when he keeps it. I'm just amazed by this decision.

I never said CJ11 was better than CJ7, I am just pointing out that as a leader he needs to take care of business plain and simple. Half our top recruits don't pan out, so the ones that do have to be disciplined if not what are we left with? I don't mean to come off like I am jumping all over the kid, but when your Akron you have to have little to know mistakes to win games. And sometimes going overboard is the only way some people know you mean business. Do you think if CJ7 played the entire game we would have beat UConn? I think it would have been a closer game at the 4th but I don't think we would have won.

There goes our shot of winning unless Bryan Williams has a breakout game.Chris is not a playmaker. He goes out there, throws efficiently, and limits mistakes, but he does nothing to actually win the game. He will look pretty good against Wester's defense, but when he is faced with a better one, we'll see the same old Jacq staring down Jabari and not even looking at the other WRs. In fact, that's the reason only Jabari gets the ball thrown to him: Jacq doesn't even consider the others, whom JD has said were "deep threats".

How much punishment is enough? I think basically missing the UCONN game was punishment enough for missing a meeting or treatment. Probably too much. If the infraction was more than that it could explain why he is not starting this week. If JD thinks CJ11 gives us a better shot at winning than CJ7, he was not paying attention the first five games.I really am not in favor of CJ11 playing at all unless he must. His time in the games is just a waste of time and there are only 60 minutes in a game. Time can't be wasted. Akron will be 2-4 if he plays more than two series this Saturday. If CJ11 is going to play, we need to change to a different type of offense, but it's too late in the season to do that. There is no deception running the option when he is in the game as there is no threat of him keeping the ball or even getting very far when he keeps it. I'm just amazed by this decision.
I don't think it is an issue of punishment.I believe it is an issue of "leadership."

I think this sets up as a classic dilemma that coaches have from time to time....Do you play the guy with more raw talent? Or, do you play the guy that you think does a better job leading your offense?CJ11 actually did a really good job in the first half last week, against a good BCS level defense. Besides the mental error at the end of the half, and a couple of other times he failed to throw the ball away before getting sacked, I was quite impressed. If you recall, Jim Tressel had a similar situation a few years ago with Smith and Zwick. He ended up going with the guy with more raw talent, and he eventually matured, and it looked like he made the right decision. I'm just hoping JD is making the right decision.

Do you think if CJ7 played the entire game we would have beat UConn? I think it would have been a closer game at the 4th but I don't think we would have won.
I don't, but there has to be some stability at the position. Win or lose, CJ7 needed playing time last week.

I don't think it is an issue of punishment.I believe it is an issue of "leadership."
College leadership comes from the head coach. The myth was perpetuated on this board last year that there was no leader on the team coming from the players. It can't come from the players because there are too many. It must come from the coach.I think this type of hard ass leadership (coaching) does not work in college any longer. Kids are different now. I'm not making judgement, I just think kids are different now and they don't respond to extreme punishment. CJ7 is much more likely to respond negatively if he thinks this is going overboard than positively. Either way, he is our only hope for winning this week.

I think Jacq should be playing until CJ can demonstrate that he wants to work hard for this team and his team mates. What happens when CJ gets all the reps and then shows up ineligible next year because he's not taking care of business in the classroom? All forms of discipline are related. We are young this year but next year and even the year after we could really have a team with some experience. Let them learn their lessons well. You sound like a parent who doesn't discipline the child because s/he's just so darn cute. It only works in the present and dooms the future. You think CJ can learn to be more disciplined but that Jacq can't learn to not make silly mistakes on the field? I think it's a growing and maturing process for both young men. So, sit back, shut up, and let the coach do his job.

College leadership comes from the head coach. The myth was perpetuated on this board last year that there was no leader on the team coming from the players. It can't come from the players because there are too many. It must come from the coach.I think this type of hard ass leadership (coaching) does not work in college any longer. Kids are different now. I'm not making judgement, I just think kids are different now and they don't respond to extreme punishment. CJ7 is much more likely to respond negatively if he thinks this is going overboard than positively. Either way, he is our only hope for winning this week. I agree that leader ship must come from the coach, but not just the coach. When you are out on that field, the qb is the leader. That leadership should & must carry over to pracrices, team meetings, etc. If you are big enough to be the qb, you are big enough to help lead the team. No one has said that CJ7 must lead by himself, but he also needs to help this team and not peanlize the team for his mistakes.Yes, time and players have changed, but they still need more that a slap on the wrist for their indiscretions.That being said, it is now 5:52 and :screwks:

I think Jacq should be playing until CJ can demonstrate that he wants to work hard for this team and his team mates. What happens when CJ gets all the reps and then shows up ineligible next year because he's not taking care of business in the classroom? All forms of discipline are related. We are young this year but next year and even the year after we could really have a team with some experience. Let them learn their lessons well. You sound like a parent who doesn't discipline the child because s/he's just so darn cute. It only works in the present and dooms the future. You think CJ can learn to be more disciplined but that Jacq can't learn to not make silly mistakes on the field? I think it's a growing and maturing process for both young men. So, sit back, shut up, and let the coach do his job.
From all we know, CJ7 is out because he missed a meeting. All I'm saying, and will continue to say, is that to continue to punish him for that is going too far. If it is something worse, then maybe he should be punished more. I have no problem with punishing as long as it is proportional to what he did wrong. Maybe this has been a long time coming. I'd sure like to know.As far as CJ11 learning from mistakes, he probably can. But the problem is he is too slow. College football is not played with slow QBs any more. His ability does not lend itself to a young offensive line or the option style offense we are now playing. We are in big trouble this year if he starts the remainder of the games. The MAC is bad, but it's not that bad.

Remember folks.......There's a lot that we can't see. We can't see how well each of these guys works with JD, or how they interact with their teamates, etc., etc.All that we can see is what's happening on the field on Saturday from 12-3pm. I'm fine with CJ11 starting, if that's the decision that the coaching staff believes is best for this team right now.

all i can see is what's on the field,and cj7 is clearly the better qb.if jd thinks cj11 is a better qb then that is his choice,but i don't see any way we win the mac with him.we will be lucky to go 6-6 if carlton is on the bench for a majorty of the time.i do not know to many people on this board that thinks cj11 is a better qbjd can prove his point but he is going to take the whole team down with him.

Great point that we don't know all the details as to what is going on. Did anyone consider that we might be starting CJ11 to see if he CAN do damage to WMU while minimizing mistakes? If he can, great, we minimize turnovers and roll up the points. If he isn't getting the job done, put in CJ7 and let him run with it. In the end, I think if we need CJ7, we'll get him in the game.

:chair: i'm getting real tired of this 'there's always another problem' crap out of Brookhart's teams..he created the QB problem and refuses to make a final decision and move on...my opinion is he really doesn't like Jacquemain because he is as i have said before 'a statue' and he has made plenty of mistakes for an entire season...did ya watch the UCONN game? stared at a linebacker with the ball in his hand and got buried,then let the clock run out because he couldn't think fast enough to manage the clock at the end of the 1st half...he's a stiff but Brookhart won't...as my dad used to say, 'S..t or get off the pot'...the ZIPS are going nowhere with this offensive setup and the defense couldn't keep me from running to the bathroom...GEE ONLY 2 more years until the new stadium...i can't hardly wait can you?

I hear there will be nothing kept back this week now that we're in Mac play so be ready for some offense!!! I sure hope it's enough. Whichever QB we have in needs to kick butt. I hope to see a few plays with two backs, a fullback blocking and a tailback running. We need to get the running game going and while I think we have some great tailbacks, neither of them (Allen nor Williams) block for sh... I know you spread offense guys don't think our team even needs a fullback but I sure think we'd do better with 240 lbs. running up the middle for short yardage than a QB. (Do ya remember the play I'm talking about in the UConn game?) If WMU has to worry about the run a little more maybe we can throw it down field to a few other receivers and it'll take the defenders away from Jabari a little. In spite of all the negatives I've seen on this site in the last week I think we have a shot at being a good team this year.

I hear there will be nothing kept back this week now that we're in Mac play so be ready for some offense!!!
Can you keep the play back when CJ11 hands off 5 yards deep from the shotgun, shuffles his feet real slow and then is the lead blocker for a running back. :nutkick: