WAIT UNTIL 2009

74ZIP

:unsure: Seems the Athletic Department is assuming since it has created all this hype about the new stadium it all us fans will show up to watch crap on the field...lets all get on 'gozips.com' and e-mail everyone from Rhoads on down and let them know 2 years is a long time to wait to watch anything more than a mediocre MAC team at the Bowl...seems like this coaching staff is looking more and more like the Keystone Cops than a dynasty...they want the fans to come out but put nothing on the field to make us want to watch...no improvement into the 4th year...i've sent e-mails to the Athletic Department staff before..they do read 'em...at least let them know directly this is BS! thats GOZIPS.com send it!

Ahhh, fans. A year ago we were begging the man to stay, and now we want to kick him to the curb. The man was a genius at the end of 2005 when frankly, we really, really SUCKED in the middle of the season and stumbled into the MAC Championship game. Am I frustrated....yes. But I'm willing to see how we do in MAC play.

I am a little disappointed with some of JD's tendencies thus far, but let's be fair to him right now. We have played a brutal schedule thus far, and beating big teams with the resources we have is a tall task. However, I expect to see results as we move into mac play. These schools, unlike most of the opponents we have seen so far, deal with the same issues we do, and that is where we need to see what happens. We beat one of the favorites already so there is no excuse why we should not be in the mac east race.

This just amazes me.
If you complain about the coaching long enough, eventually you will be right, they will get fired or move on.Some people just don't like a coach and complain about him every time we lose. Happened with Owens also. :zzz:If you want to complain about the staff, PLEASE tell us what you think they can do different. Be specific.Not.."recruit better"... :rolleyes:

We're 1-0 in MAC play, and hold the head-to-head advantage over Can't State, one of the better teams in the East, in case we end up tied with them.What more could we ask for at this point???Our 3 losses are to good football teams, who are not even in our conference.This just amazes me.
I agree. My biggest complaint so far has been the, shall we say, BORING offense. But I also understand that a majority of the offense is inexperienced and thus the coaches can't load them up with too much. We all should have know this was not going to be a stellar year. I said after the spring game we would end up 1-11. I'm relatively pleased so far.

This has not been a fantastic start to the season, but to say it's the worst thing you've ever seen and call for the coach's head after starting out 2-3 is pretty extreme... we're 1-0 in the MAC and that win was a big one. Can you really hang the coach out to dry for losing three games that we were "supposed" to lose? OSU, Indiana, and UConn are better than we are... sorry to have to say it, but it's true. Indiana and UConn were winnable games if we play above average and they throw up a clunker, but it didn't happen. (Flame away, but there was no chance of beating OSU... we played our best game of the year and they played their worst and it was still a three-possession loss).Every game from here on out is meaningful... we will win the MAC and/or be bowl eligible if we play well the rest of the way. It's too early to be calling the season a failure when you've only played one conference game. All we know at this point is that we wouldn't be very competitive in a BCS conference... and you'll pardon me if I remind you that there's no groundbreaking news there.Every time we lose a game a thread gets started claiming that the program has no direction, and it's kind of ridiculous.

This just amazes me.
Doesn't me....I know you are kidding. There are guys out there who are still pissed that Lee Owens was fired. Second, Akron is in the backyard of Cleveland and with that brings Browns fans. Third, there are some mental midgets out there who see this as a KD vs. JD thing and that's just silly. They are both very good coaches.I agree that people need to be more specific. I don't like the type of defense we play, but it beat Can't. I still don't like it for all the reasons I have posted. I don't like this QB decision Saturday because CJ11 is not mobile enough behind a young line. I'm not 100% certain why he did it.I still like our chances this year in the MAC East....although I don't like them this Saturday.

seems like this coaching staff is looking more and more like the Keystone Cops than a dynasty...they want the fans to come out but put nothing on the field to make us want to watch
Specifically, what would you do differently?

Woot and GP1 are correct. There is a lot of JD and program bashing right now. This team has a very solid chance to be bowl eligible and in the MAC Championship game. We do have three very tough games to play in our division (BGSU, Miami, and OU). I believe we have a chance to win 7 games and finish with a very respectable 9-3 record. Will we? That depends on how well these kids (and yes they are inexperienced kids) can come together on offense. I will settle for 7-5 in a rebuilding year as long as we get the three important wins I mentioned before. So all of you need to keep the faith.

I understand the logic some of you are using about not running too complex of an offense with a young squad because it can lead to mistakes, fumbles, INT's sacks, etc, But as a D1 prospect their shouldn't be a " too complex to run" play calling. To me this is just another excuse of why we are not a mid-major. I just feel like sometimes we make excuses for our short comings. I guess I would be a terrible coach cause I would go into every game trying to win, not holding cards close to my chest because league play is around the corner. If your offense is that complex then you have a longer team session during practice and run it till you have candles burning to light the field. That's how I feel about it.

This has not been a fantastic start to the season, but to say it's the worst thing you've ever seen and call for the coach's head after starting out 2-3 is pretty extreme...
Three or four years ago now, Pitt started the season 2-2 under Walt Harris and one of the local sports writers wrote an article titled, "Who Will Be Pitt's Next Head Coach?" Harris went on to win seven in a row and Pitt went to a BCS Bowl. At the end of the year he was let go and Dave Wanstead was hired. Wanstead has absolutely run that program into the ground in three years.Be careful of what you wish for.........

I am not asking for JD's job, I just think we are close to making a turn, it is so close I can taste it, the akrowdies, the akoldies, indoor facility, the basketball teams success, campus improvements, new stadium on the way, capitalone mascot challenge, competing into the second half with the best teams in the country. All these things are indications that we are making progress in the right direction. It's not enough to have to the best recruiting class if less than half play.It's not enough to be competitve against BCS schools we need to win It's not enough to average 17 points when our opponents average 21 or more.Think about this one...if Pete Carroll or Urban Meyer was coaching the zips against Indiana or UConn do you think the score would be the same?!!!!!I think JD is still learning so I am not gonna jump down his throat until after the season, But more importantly, as someone mentioned in another thread our attitudes need to change. We need to expect to win. The hell with being realistic, be optimistic! Find a way to win, I don't think the coaching staff goes all out to win games. I seen one trick play against OSU. Boise is an example of going all out to win.

:P believe me i would like to believe that JD has a clue about being an on the field coach....butt monkey alert...as someone said...but(t)...the problems that have come up in the last few years are to some extent his making...recruiting bad citizens...creating QB problems...choosing to run a defense that can't stop the run...he has created some of the internal problems himself...he took chances with a number kids and made bad calls..a coach gets paid to make better calls on recruits then know what to do with them on the field...no continuity...no forward movement...don't give me the high and mighty crap about 'what would i do'? what a lame response...ya if the ZIPS win the division or even go to a bowl game believe me I WILL BE THE FIRST TO SAY I CAN"T BELIEVE IT AND I DIDN'T PREDICT IT...gues we ALL have a 50/50 chance of being right now don't we?...into the 4th year he gets paid a lot of money to put a more consistently competetive product on the field...if some of you so called fans out there are such mavens of the game go make a living at it...JD would be selling insurance if he wasn't getting a check from Akron...

Why is it bad for a fan (short for fanatic by the way) to get pissed off when we are in our fourth year with a coach and we still haven't seen much? Didn't we hire JD to turn the corner -- isn't year four the year we should be turning the corner? Maybe the reason people get pissed when Akron gets smoked by UConn is because we're sick of losing those games and we want our turn. We want our Urban Meyer, we want our Brian Kelly, we want our Terry Hoepner - why can't Akron catch lightning in a bottle once and pick the coach that turns them around quickly and we get national recognition. Truth be told we stuck too long with Owens and I'm personally afraid the same thing may happen with JD. Maybe Captain will be right this year and we'll win the MAC (I'll be one of the first in line of tickets to the MAC Championship). One year everyone is complaining on here we don't get any respect and the fans are happy with moral victories when we shouldn't be. The next year people are sick of settling for moral victories and the same people are bitching because people don't want that either?I'll probably take a beating for this, but I'll can say one thing about the Owens era - it was known for offense. We may not have stopped anyone, but it was some entertaining offensive football most of the time. We are in year four and I can't count on seeing one side of the ball be entertaining. The defense looked like they turned a corner and then shit down their leg against Indiana and UConn.I'll give you there is nothing that can be done now and I'm hopefull I'll be surprised if we win the MAC East -- I'm not leaving the bandwagon yet.

Why is it bad for a fan (short for fanatic by the way) to get pissed off when we are in our fourth year with a coach and we still haven't seen much? Didn't we hire JD to turn the corner -- isn't year four the year we should be turning the corner? Maybe the reason people get pissed when Akron gets smoked by UConn is because we're sick of losing those games and we want our turn. We want our Urban Meyer, we want our Brian Kelly, we want our Terry Hoepner - why can't Akron catch lightning in a bottle once and pick the coach that turns them around quickly and we get national recognition. Truth be told we stuck too long with Owens and I'm personally afraid the same thing may happen with JD. Maybe Captain will be right this year and we'll win the MAC (I'll be one of the first in line of tickets to the MAC Championship). One year everyone is complaining on here we don't get any respect and the fans are happy with moral victories when we shouldn't be. The next year people are sick of settling for moral victories and the same people are bitching because people don't want that either?I'll probably take a beating for this, but I'll can say one thing about the Owens era - it was known for offense. We may not have stopped anyone, but it was some entertaining offensive football most of the time. We are in year four and I can't count on seeing one side of the ball be entertaining. The defense looked like they turned a corner and then shit down their leg against Indiana and UConn.I'll give you there is nothing that can be done now and I'm hopefull I'll be surprised if we win the MAC East -- I'm not leaving the bandwagon yet.
I agree totally so I guess we are some butt monkeys?! :D

I think it's safe to say that we are all fans and we want the Zips to do well, or we wouldn't be on this sight. I realize some of you are diehard JD fans, although I don't understand why, and some of us see what we think are correctable flaws. If you are willing to let mediocrity rule the day, well, that is your perogative. Others, like me, want to win and win often. I think the statement that starts this thread, "Wait til 2009!" is absurd! That will be JD's sixth season! Do you really want to wait that long?

Why are you guys holding back your solutions. Please, I want to hear them. Post them here.I want to win now too. If I read between the lines, firing JD is going to make us win?Correct me if I'm wrong. Are we going to get someone to take his place? Who is it going to be?Oh yeah, we are going to buy his contract out too right?

Why is it bad for a fan (short for fanatic by the way) to get pissed off when we are in our fourth year with a coach and we still haven't seen much?  Didn't we hire JD to turn the corner -- isn't year four the year we should be turning the corner?  Maybe the reason people get pissed when Akron gets smoked by UConn is because we're sick of losing those games and we want our turn.  We want our Urban Meyer, we want our Brian Kelly, we want our Terry Hoepner - why can't Akron catch lightning in a bottle once and pick the coach that turns them around quickly and we get national recognition.  Truth be told we stuck too long with Owens and I'm personally afraid the same thing may happen with JD.  Maybe Captain will be right this year and we'll win the MAC (I'll be one of the first in line of tickets to the MAC Championship).  One year everyone is complaining on here we don't get any respect and the fans are happy with moral victories when we shouldn't be.  The next year people are sick of settling for moral victories and the same people are bitching because people don't want that either?I'll probably take a beating for this, but I'll can say one thing about the Owens era - it was known for offense.  We may not have stopped anyone, but it was some entertaining offensive football most of the time.  We are in year four and I can't count on seeing one side of the ball be entertaining.  The defense looked like they turned a corner and then shit down their leg against Indiana and UConn.I'll give you there is nothing that can be done now and I'm hopefull I'll be surprised if we win the MAC East -- I'm not leaving the bandwagon yet.
I agree totally so I guess we are some butt monkeys?! :D
If the shoe fits.......

If I read between the lines, firing JD is going to make us win?
Nice post DrZ!Changing the coach is the Cleveland Browns fan solution. Since so many Browns fans live around Akron, it is logical that this stupidity would creep into Zips discussions as well. Changing their coach every other year has been great for that team. :unsure:

I'll probably take a beating for this, but I'll can say one thing about the Owens era - it was known for offense. We may not have stopped anyone, but it was some entertaining offensive football most of the time. We are in year four and I can't count on seeing one side of the ball be entertaining. The defense looked like they turned a corner and then shit down their leg against Indiana and UConn.
That offense was great. Whenever a team scored 35, that offense would get us 34. If they scored 30, that offense would get us 28. The great thing about it was they could then blame everything on the other side of the ball in a team sport. What a great bunch of "team players"! Man do I miss the horrible play of those nine years.The other great thing about the Owns years was he was such a crybaby he created a team of whiners that blame everything and everyone but themselves for the loses. It's not them, it's the Rubber Bowl. It's not them, its the practice field. It's not them, etc. I used to love those photos of players crying on the sidelines and in the locker rooms after games. Real men that group. You guys can say what you want about JD's players, but they aren't a bunch of crying and complaining bitches.

Why are you guys holding back your solutions. Please, I want to hear them. Post them here.I want to win now too. If I read between the lines, firing JD is going to make us win?Correct me if I'm wrong. Are we going to get someone to take his place? Who is it going to be?Oh yeah, we are going to buy his contract out too right?
Solutions?!!how about scrap this defensehow about playing the best QBhow about being a better judge or character (as far as recruits)how about making a single half time adjustment that will keep us in the game till it's over instead of the middle of the 3rd.These are all correctable.Everyone and their mama knew that special teams was horrible last year, this year they are noticeably better. I am not a pro Owens guy nor a pro JD guy I am a pro who every gives us the best chance to win guy ( and right now that appears to be JD). GP1 and DrZ specifically 1. Are you guys satisfied with the rate at which the zips are improving? Because there has been some improvements I think we all agree on that....or do we?2. What specifically do you like about JD because it seems you guys get very defensive when someone says anything criticizing JD? I like JD but I just feel like Brian Kelly or Urban Meyer would have beaten UConn and IU with this team. I am not saying I want a new coach I am just saying I don't feel that UConn and IU are 20 points better than us. 3. Lastly if this season mirrors last years performance, or the best we do is 500 seasons, how long should we wait until we hire a new coach? I think he should be given 7 years before change should even be considered.I am curious what your answers will be, I am just not sold 100% on JD like you guys are, and I am wondering if your reasons will persuade my thinking.