More JD to Colorado State SPECULATION

KentZip

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is interesting to see the spin on what JD has done here when he may get a look at CSU.http://www.coloradoan.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...360/1006/SPORTS
:lol: some idiot on the CSU website says Brookhart has lifted Akron 'to unprecedented heights'...!!!!!????talk about no expectataions...
No. The unprecendented heights was referring to our MACC in 2005 and our first bowl bid. I do not recall LO doing this!

Zips Win...you are correct. "Unprecedented", for those who don't know, refers to "never been done before."The MAC East Division Championship, the MAC Championship Game win, and the D-1A Bowl Appearance are all unprecedented accomplishments during the JD era.
Thank you. I will be (personally) happy if JD does not get the CSU job. That would be a logical move for them and a promotion for JD. In light of the "hometown" desire we have for a head coach, CSU would be ecstatic to entice JD, and I am sure give him the staff he needs. The fact that you all do not see he is a great head coach baffles me. He has lifted this program. We had a bad season, the QBs did not work, we did not have bad QB recruits! We had 4 promising QBs coming in to the season.

I am also tired of the negative comments on this board. I come to this board to talk to Zips fans not hear the team, coaches, and program be constantly put down. It's like I'm talking to our worst enemies! I'm a Zips fan through good and bad. Maybe some of you need to try supporting your team and not being so critical. Go Zips!!!!!

If CSU does some homework and watches some Akron game tape from this season they will not hire JD as HC and eventually they will figure out the program has been downhill since the unprecedented heights in 2005. That's not to say he won't get it back on the upswing due to the new stadium and (hopefully) some new coordinators. His stock is just not rising at the moment. I guess we should find out pretty soon if there will be any changes in our staff.BTW, does anyone else find it hard to believe JD was a stud receiver at CSU? He seems neither big enough nor built for speed. It would be fun to see some game tapes of his playing days.

If CSU does some homework and watches some Akron game tape from this season they will not hire JD as HC and eventually they will figure out the program has been downhill since the unprecedented heights in 2005. That's not to say he won't get it back on the upswing due to the new stadium and (hopefully) some new coordinators. His stock is just not rising at the moment. I guess we should find out pretty soon if there will be any changes in our staff.BTW, does anyone else find it hard to believe JD was a stud receiver at CSU? He seems neither big enough nor built for speed. It would be fun to see some game tapes of his playing days.
I started a reply but just realized how stupid your post was............

ZippyAlum...I have to agree with your comments, especially when I see arguments like the one I see above. FYI...Buffalo and Temple happened to be 5-3 and 4-4 respectively in MAC play this year.It probably does not take a great deal of insight to come to the conclusion that both of these teams were far better this year than they had been in the past.Does this mean that we should start evaluating our current wins/losses based on how our opponents performed in past years? I think that would be pretty ridiculous.

i think it was also unprecedented that we lost to temple,and buffalo two perrenial mac bottom feeders.
Losing to Buffalo = unprecedented Losing to Temple? Nah, we've lost to them plenty of times.I don't want to see JD leave just yet, but it wouldn't break my heart if CSU hired him either. If the latter were to happen, I say we take a strong look at the HC from SIU. He looks like the strongest candidate (for the CSU job) to me. The Gateway (or whatever they call it these days) is a tough league and he's had them at the top for almost his entire stay.

I am also tired of the negative comments on this board. I come to this board to talk to Zips fans not hear the team, coaches, and program be constantly put down. It's like I'm talking to our worst enemies! I'm a Zips fan through good and bad. Maybe some of you need to try supporting your team and not being so critical. Go Zips!!!!!
Negative talk on this board? You make it sound like it is a crime for wanting more.......no expecting more, because that is what we should be doing. Sounds like you want us to sugar coat things. We both want success but you can't get there unless you acknowledge your weaknesses and mistakes. We wanna be big time you gotta act big time, expect big time, but at the very least you should minimize mistake, no holdings, dropped passes, redundant screens, etc. These are all easy fixes!!!!!I remember when Bill Snyder Kansas State's head coach at the time, came into our locker room after we just got our heads kicked in by his team, said that they were once where we are, and to stick to doing the right things,work hard, and not just believe but know you are better than your opponent, don't EVER settle for less.If you are used to a Faust 1-11 season a L.O. 2-10 season saying 7-5 is great is settling, it's settling for good when you should strive to be great. Saying stuff like *in a mopey voice* "Well we were 3-2 at half with OSU and barely lost to Temple, Buffalo, Miami, and Central. We could be 8-4!!Could be 8-4 don't sell tickets, get better recruits, or go to bowl games!!! The teams 8-4 or better like OSU, Indiana, UConn, Central ya know the teams we lost to?!! Go to bowl games, get better recruits, and don't have to fudge ticket sale numbers to keep D1 status. Teams like Louisville, Kansas St. Boise St., Hawaii, stop settling. Like we should too.

temple and buffalo were 9-15 combined.they are booth bad teams,and we still lost to them.miami was 6-6 this yet we coud not even score a point in this game.i am all for giving jd one more year,but we are 9-15 the last two season.that is the reality of the situation.next year with the occ schedule we will probably go 1-3.i dont see us beating cinnci,cuse,or kentucky.

BTW, does anyone else find it hard to believe JD was a stud receiver at CSU? He seems neither big enough nor built for speed. It would be fun to see some game tapes of his playing days.
Below is JD's Stats while at CSU and his rank all time for each stat. So in the history of their program he is a Top 10 receiver.CareerTotal Yards8. J. D. Brookhart, 1984-87 1873TD6. J. D. Brookhart, 1985-87 13Single GameReceptions8. J. D. Brookhart, 1988 Colorado 10Receiving Yards10. J. D. Brookhart, 1987 Hawaii 168

Negative talk on this board? You make it sound like it is a crime for wanting more.......no expecting more, because that is what we should be doing. Sounds like you want us to sugar coat things. We both want success but you can't get there unless you acknowledge your weaknesses and mistakes. We wanna be big time you gotta act big time, expect big time, but at the very least you should minimize mistake, no holdings, dropped passes, redundant screens, etc. These are all easy fixes!!!!!I remember when Bill Snyder Kansas State's head coach at the time, came into our locker room after we just got our heads kicked in by his team, said that they were once where we are, and to stick to doing the right things,work hard, and not just believe but know you are better than your opponent, don't EVER settle for less.If you are used to a Faust 1-11 season a L.O. 2-10 season saying 7-5 is great is settling, it's settling for good when you should strive to be great. Saying stuff like *in a mopey voice* "Well we were 3-2 at half with OSU and barely lost to Temple, Buffalo, Miami, and Central. We could be 8-4!!Could be 8-4 don't sell tickets, get better recruits, or go to bowl games!!! The teams 8-4 or better like OSU, Indiana, UConn, Central ya know the teams we lost to?!! Go to bowl games, get better recruits, and don't have to fudge ticket sale numbers to keep D1 status. Teams like Louisville, Kansas St. Boise St., Hawaii, stop settling. Like we should too.
Actually at many of the major schools, if a coach has too many 8-4 or 9-3 seasons he will be fired.I don't think anyone is asking for a NC or even a top 20 team. We are merely asking for a respectable and entertaining team to watch. We are aksing for a team that consistently beats the teams they should beat. Yes, there are upsets. However, there isn't usually 4-5 the same season. Once that happens, they aren't upsets.Here at Akron most of us would be happy with 8-4 and crazy about 9-3. I don't think that being negative because we aren't even a 500 team is a bad thing unless you are used to losing and accept it.We finished 2005 at 7-6 after the bowl game. Everyone called that a great year for Akron.........Talk aboiut being happy with mediocrity.If any national powers had consecutive 7-6 seasons, the coach would be gone in a heartbeat. Here at Akron we are happy about it.7-6 should be a down year/rebuilding year at UA. Not a good year. I couldn't believe early in the year when people called this a rebuilding year. What?????????????????????????????????? Did we go 8-4 or better last year? Did we win the MAC?How can you have a rebuilding year after a year that you were not very good? That is a losers mentality.We really need to change that. I am not calling for JD's head. He is a young coach that I think is learning on the job. Many great coaches took more than 5 years before they started winning. To call out posters and say they are being negative is absurd.If you want to see negative, go to other teams boards that are whining because they only beat a team by 21 points when they think it should have been more. Or they lose one game and are calling for a coordinators head. Not all negative talk is bad. Some of it is reality.

temple and buffalo were 9-15 combined.they are booth bad teams,and we still lost to them.miami was 6-6 this yet we coud not even score a point in this game.i am all for giving jd one more year,but we are 9-15 the last two season.that is the reality of the situation.next year with the occ schedule we will probably go 1-3.i dont see us beating cinnci,cuse,or kentucky.
Next year is next year, we don't know anything about the status of how any team will be. But I will say this, Cuse was 2-10 this year, worse than anyone in the MAC. Cinci loses Mauck the only reason the team even contended this year, and potentially Kelley (yes his name is up for bigger better schools because he lucked out by getting Mauck) they also lose 4 top seniors.So I say we don't start throwing away games until next season even starts. We have a few QB's to look at, position changes that need made and recruits that still have to committ. So before we go and say "1-3 for OOC next year" why don't we wait and see what happens the rest of this year.

Actually at many of the major schools, if a coach has too many 8-4 or 9-3 seasons he will be fired.I don't think anyone is asking for a NC or even a top 20 team. We are merely asking for a respectable and entertaining team to watch. We are asking for a team that consistently beats the teams they should beat. Yes, there are upsets. However, there isn't usually 4-5 the same season. Once that happens, they aren't upsets.Here at Akron most of us would be happy with 8-4 and crazy about 9-3. I don't think that being negative because we aren't even a 500 team is a bad thing unless you are used to losing and accept it.We finished 2005 at 7-6 after the bowl game. Everyone called that a great year for Akron.........Talk about being happy with mediocrity.If any national powers had consecutive 7-6 seasons, the coach would be gone in a heartbeat. Here at Akron we are happy about it.7-6 should be a down year/rebuilding year at UA. Not a good year. I couldn't believe early in the year when people called this a rebuilding year. What?????????????????????????????????? Did we go 8-4 or better last year? Did we win the MAC?How can you have a rebuilding year after a year that you were not very good? That is a losers mentality.We really need to change that. I am not calling for JD's head. He is a young coach that I think is learning on the job. Many great coaches took more than 5 years before they started winning. To call out posters and say they are being negative is absurd.If you want to see negative, go to other teams boards that are whining because they only beat a team by 21 points when they think it should have been more. Or they lose one game and are calling for a coordinators head. Not all negative talk is bad. Some of it is reality.
THANK YOU BUCKZIP!! Finally some speaking with some sanity!!!!

Actually at many of the major schools, if a coach has too many 8-4 or 9-3 seasons he will be fired.I don't think anyone is asking for a NC or even a top 20 team. We are merely asking for a respectable and entertaining team to watch. We are asking for a team that consistently beats the teams they should beat. Yes, there are upsets. However, there isn't usually 4-5 the same season. Once that happens, they aren't upsets.Here at Akron most of us would be happy with 8-4 and crazy about 9-3. I don't think that being negative because we aren't even a 500 team is a bad thing unless you are used to losing and accept it.We finished 2005 at 7-6 after the bowl game. Everyone called that a great year for Akron.........Talk about being happy with mediocrity.If any national powers had consecutive 7-6 seasons, the coach would be gone in a heartbeat. Here at Akron we are happy about it.7-6 should be a down year/rebuilding year at UA. Not a good year. I couldn't believe early in the year when people called this a rebuilding year. What?????????????????????????????????? Did we go 8-4 or better last year? Did we win the MAC?How can you have a rebuilding year after a year that you were not very good? That is a losers mentality.We really need to change that. I am not calling for JD's head. He is a young coach that I think is learning on the job. Many great coaches took more than 5 years before they started winning. To call out posters and say they are being negative is absurd.If you want to see negative, go to other teams boards that are whining because they only beat a team by 21 points when they think it should have been more. Or they lose one game and are calling for a coordinators head. Not all negative talk is bad. Some of it is reality.
Who doesn't want to win 8 or 9 games a year at Akron on a consistent basis? All I hear nowadays is that college football is all about recruiting. Actually, college football is all about scheduling. Until the MAC and Rick Chryst gets his head out of his *** and stops playing big ten teams and we build relationships with the other non-bcs conferences and play ONE BCS school a year and 3 NON-bcs schools a year, nothing much will change for any MAC school-expect 6-8 wins a year and then 5 or 6 wins the next year.Speaking of scheduling, just check out the country's top 5 frickin programs......Going into the weekend, only Georgia, I believe, has played a top 20 schedule. tosu's wasn't in the top 50, WVA was barely inside the top 50 and at one point Kanas was outside the top 75.Yet all these teams will be rewarded and then some. Mythical NC will ring completely true for the eventual winner this year. recruitimng

From the cumulative stats page on gozips.comI feel that second half scoring and penalty yards are two of the more telling stats regarding coaching issues versus player performance. I also would like to see JD stay, but the third quarter scoring stat and the penalties need to be improved by the coaching staff with halftime adjustments and atteention to detail with the penalties. Just some numbers to help a little more objectively evaluate a coaching performance from my perspective. :blink: :blink: and Can't State sucksSCORE BY QUARTERS 1st 2nd 3rd 4th Total-------------------- --- --- --- --- ---Akron............... 51 90 37 76 - 254Opponents........... 64 70 102 114 - 350 UA // OpponentsPENALTIES-YARDS............... 84-635 67-598 Average Per Game............ 52.9 49.8

Who doesn't want to win 8 or 9 games a year at Akron on a consistent basis? All I hear nowadays is that college football is all about recruiting. Actually, college football is all about scheduling. Until the MAC and Rick Chryst gets his head out of his *** and stops playing big ten teams and we build relationships with the other non-bcs conferences and play ONE BCS school a year and 3 NON-bcs schools a year, nothing much will change for any MAC school-expect 6-8 wins a year and then 5 or 6 wins the next year.Speaking of scheduling, just check out the country's top 5 frickin programs......Going into the weekend, only Georgia, I believe, has played a top 20 schedule. tosu's wasn't in the top 50, WVA was barely inside the top 50 and at one point Kanas was outside the top 75.Yet all these teams will be rewarded and then some. Mythical NC will ring completely true for the eventual winner this year. NOTE HERE - The individual schools schedule their own out of conference games - not the MAC or commissioner. If you are unhappy with our current schedule - take it up with the boys in Cincinnati. These current OOC games were scheduled 3-4 years ago. Hopefully Mac is scheduling some challenging but winnable match ups for the new stadium. Either way, we still probably will need to schedule a BCS team per year to help with recruiting and the paycheck.recruitimng

A few things I think...Teams that go 7-5 and 7-5 back-to-back and fire there coach are teams that have seen higher ground and better records -- not teams look for their first great season. That being said I don't believe record alone can be used to decide if JD should stay or go -- not that our opinion matters.The first thing we need to look at is JD himself - is he getting better at the coaching thing, is he recruiting well, how does he interact with alumni who make a difference financially (does Gary Taylor like him?). The last point might be the most valid. If you have seen the piece on Boone Pickens on HBO Real Sports at Oklahoma State Univ. they don't make a move without him knowing -- much like this regime shouldn't be doing with our Gary's blessing. I know the dollar figures aren't similar, but until someone steps up to surpass Taylor's contribution he's the man.I've always asked where our great coach is -- I look at other MAC coaches that have taken their programs to new heights and then bolted for greener pastures. I offer two coaches as examples of how it can happen -- one is an example of how I hope JD works out the other he simply isn't. Urban Meyer and Gary Pinkel. Meyer as we all know coached BGSU for two seasons bolted for Utah for two seasons and then won a National Championship at Florida. The two years he was at BGSU he was 8-3 and 9-3 respectively finished 2nd and 3rd and then went to no bowl game. A model of how we can all hope JD to turn out is Gary Pinkel. One win against Oklahoma in the Big 12 championship and his team is playing for the National Championship -- who would have ever thought Missouri would be in this position. I thought he'd have to coach there be successful and go somewhere else for a chance. At Toledo he was 5-5-1 (3rd), 8-3 (3rd), 4-7 (7th), 6-4-1 (6th) and then 11-0-1 with a trip to the Las Vegas Bowl. I don't think this team can go 11-0 next year, but can they in '09. Is this train on track just one year later than Pinkel's progression plan?As many have said there were some close games that could have went the other way this year -- will some coordinator changes or their education from this year be the onus for flipping some of those losses to wins next year in hopes of getting it all straightened out in '09 for a big season. I don't want my alma mater to settle for mediocrity and I'm not close enough to the situation (help me those with insider knowledge) of how JD is going to make that jump next year or if he can make that jump. Has his staff learned a lot this year? I haven't found much to like about Mack during his reign. This could be the decision his legacy is built on -- I wish him luck with the decision and hope he gets it right. I just think there are more questions than answers right now -- I know I was summarily disappointed this year, but I'm not sure if it was because of Cap'n's rosy outlook he painted or something else. I know I wasn't expecting much this year -- I was only expecting one more win -- it is just that the wins were against the teams we lost to and the losses were to teams we beat. That is my frustration.

With the pay that Akron gives its assistant coaches we lose good coaches every year. With our recruiting we take a chance on athletes that don't make the grades or have so many problems off the field they get kicked off the team. We even have relatively stable players like our QBs being disciplined and seasoned players making stupid mistakes and getting penalties that should never happen. JD Brookhart has tried to establish some discipline and this year took some big hits for doing it. I know many would disagree but I'd sooner lose with guys who are respectable than win with a bunch of thugs. This year many of our key players were Sophomores. I hope they develop into a great team next year. We even played Freshmen on the line and have good guys with game experience. I sure hope we don't lose Odofin and that he can recover. I hear his injuries are more severe than what was reported in the newspaper. But, despite all these negatives I will continue to support our team and always hope for the best. The new stadium will help instill pride in the players, the recruits, and the community. I truly hope that JD will be along for the ride but regardless I'll support the team. I'm too old to get all worked up over things I can't control or decisions that others make. Imagine if your job rested on the shoulders of 90 18-24 year olds. Sure lots of other coaches manage to do it but very few have the saturation of good universities that we have here in Ohio. You're forced to recruit out of state and it's like comparing apples to oranges to peaches. I believe that Akron is turning the corner and will have greater and greater success in the next 10 years. Have faith my friends!