JD not going to Colorado State

Big Zip

JD never had a chance of being considered for the CSU job if they looked at his track record here. Every year he has been HC, our record gets worse. Our recruits can't stay eligible, he ignores parts of the team while taking total control of other parts. He hires terrible coordinators. If we don't see some changes in the way of playcalling, we might have a new HC to go along with our new stadium.The recruits flunking is more of a problem with the athletic department as a whole, and I won't get into that here. But you should all know that the budget is the same as it has been for years, with no increases. We have what is quite possibly the smallest athletic budget in D-IA, and also lower than quite a few D-IAA schools, if what I am told is correct.

The recruits flunking is more of a problem with the athletic department as a whole, and I won't get into that here. But you should all know that the budget is the same as it has been for years, with no increases. We have what is quite possibly the smallest athletic budget in D-IA, and also lower than quite a few D-IAA schools, if what I am told is correct.
What you have been told is not correct. The University of Akron athletic budget has increased each year and is not the smallest in the MAC or I-A. The academic support services for student athletes has seen a lot of turnover in the last five years but is a solid program. Many of the recruits that are not eligible, were never eligible. The came to The University of Akron as non-qualifiers(not academically eligible out of high school for NCAA DI athletics) and were never able to achieve the necessary grades at the university level. JD has gambled on some very talented athletes with questionable grades. It is not the athletics departments fault, nor JD's that they are not eligible. It is the student-athlete that was given an opportunity but unable to achieve the required grades. The department and coaches follow up on athletes but they can't take their tests. The student-athletes have to be willing to work for their grades and some are not interested.

The recruits flunking is more of a problem with the athletic department as a whole, and I won't get into that here. But you should all know that the budget is the same as it has been for years, with no increases. We have what is quite possibly the smallest athletic budget in D-IA, and also lower than quite a few D-IAA schools, if what I am told is correct.
What you have been told is not correct. The University of Akron athletic budget has increased each year and is not the smallest in the MAC or I-A. The academic support services for student athletes has seen a lot of turnover in the last five years but is a solid program. Many of the recruits that are not eligible, were never eligible. The came to The University of Akron as non-qualifiers(not academically eligible out of high school for NCAA DI athletics) and were never able to achieve the necessary grades at the university level. JD has gambled on some very talented athletes with questionable grades. It is not the athletics departments fault, nor JD's that they are not eligible. It is the student-athlete that was given an opportunity but unable to achieve the required grades. The department and coaches follow up on athletes but they can't take their tests. The student-athletes have to be willing to work for their grades and some are not interested.
Thanks for clearing that up. My mistake. I'll have to go talk to who I heard that from. Either way, we have to find a better way to get these guys eligible. Find ways to motivate them. Some people require more guidance than others, and some just need to find a different reason to do their work. I've seen the tutoring area in Carrol Hall. I'm not sure that the athletes use that or have their own place to get help but I can't imagine it being much better. It's not good. The tutors there do a great job, don't get me wrong, but the facility and what they have to work with is in a sorry state.

I think JD has averaged three assistants turning over each year. That's about normal for a school like Akron. I would anticipate a higher than average year this year.It's hard to fire a coach at Akron, because the turnover is so high with coaches just leaving. If he fires the OC and four other coaches leave, that would be a very difficult thing to overcome.One thing coaches do is try to leave on good terms. One way of doing that is staying through recruiting season and then leaving. If you guys remember, Alford left the week after signing week last year. Not many will leave now, but with the turnover in the coaching ranks this year, a lot of coaches will be trying their hand in assistant positons in Arkansas, Michigan, etc.

I do indeed believe that some of the critics that come on here bashing JD are being a little harsh. But hey, the purpose of all of this is to have good discussion between fans, and all of them have a right to their opinion.Lets just hope for this much....We don't accept an Akron football coach ever again to stay here for 9 years, with a few "decent" years at best, against sub-par competition...and the rest of the years being either "bad" or "disasters". I don't think our current leadership is of that mindset, but they also would have a very difficult time convincing the board that we should "eat" the salary of someone who has several years left on a contract.JD has won a MAC East title, MAC Championship, and beaten a BCS level team on the ROAD. Those are some nice accomplishments in 4 years. I encourage everyone to appreciate the unprecedented accomplishments, accept the fact that he'll be here at least another year because of the length of his contract, but want to see growth as a program if he is going to make it to year 6,7,8 or beyond.