Dayton-Akron Highlights

jonji

Hey everyone. I put together some highlights of the Dayton-Akron game on youtube (including a extended replay of the foul call at the end) and thought you guys might want to see it. I tried to be fairly balanced in getting highlights from both side of the ball. It was a very tense game and, while I'm glad we came out with a win, I was scared many a times during the overtime. Your team played excellently and showed how capable they are. Hopefully that turns into some big success in the MAC tournament. And for all those who came to Dayton, hope you enjoyed your stay.The highlights:(Game highlights)

(Final call)

Jonj, very gracious of you. It was a great game by both teams.As you look at the replay, what a nice move by KD on the final free throw. He intentionally put our smallest player BUT best free throw shooter under the basket so he could potentially get the call we should have gotten. Dials is immediately calling for the ball after the rebound and cheering immediately after the call like he knew what he was doing.Not saying it would have changed the outcome, but I like the awareness.

Thanks for posting the highlights. A good effort overall but there's no excuse for stupidness. At the line and needing 2 points to tie, why do you throw the ball off the backboard (illegal, an automatic turnover) and deny yourself an opportunity for a stickback? Bad boy, KD.

Thanks for the highlights. Looks like I missed a heck of a game.As for the final call, it could've easily gone either way. I think Dayton being at home and ranked helped but in the end I also think the right call was made. Should've won it when we had the chance I guess.congrats though to our guys for playing what looks like a hard fought game!

A-Z-B, sorry, you are wrong.It should have been called a three shot foul. If you actually watch CAREFULLY, you can see that Dials was cocking his arm for a long heave at the basket. With 0.2seconds remaining it was his only option.I attended the game. Sat with Jeremy Sallee's parents high up in the nose bleed section. Even from there it was obvious that Dials was attempting make a desperationshot. If anything, it could also have been called a flagrant INTENTIONAL foul (which it truly was). Over twelve thousand Flyer fans let out a very audible collectivemoan when the foul was committed. They knew instantly that Dials was going to the line to shoot three and tie the game 83 all.Mike Foote is a fine, decent, honest referee. I respect him. That he attended Cant and played for them is of little consequence.The bad call; it was a bad call; robbed the Zips of the opportunity to win or lose the game by their own hand. The game is tainted.Z-R, not sure of what you are speaking of. The two times Dials deliberately missed the second shot the Zips were trailing by three points at the start of his trip to thefoul line. The Zips were down by two points after Dials made the first attempt. Nick missed the rim on the second shot. He was aiming for the rim. He missed it.Congratulations to the players. They played the game of their lives. A few Flyers fans have the mistaken notion that they were "flat" or looking past the Zips.Nothing could be further from the truth. Dayton opened the game with a lead. The Zips responded and out played the Flyers the second ten minutes to take a sixpoint lead into the locker room at the half. Both teams played outstanding basketball. The closeness of the score and the quality of play on both sides attests tothis fact.KD engineered an excellent attack plan. Occasionally one hears a player's parent rant that KD did not use their son the best way, etc. So be it.

It should have been called a three shot foul. If you actually watch CAREFULLY, you can see that Dials was cocking his arm for a long heave at the basket. With 0.2 seconds remaining it was his only option.
Wonder if the call had anything to do with the fact that, by rule, you have to have atleast .3 seconds to get a shot off. Anything less and it has to be a tip. Not arguing, just throwing it out there.
Congratulations to the players. They played the game of their lives. A few Flyers fans have the mistaken notion that they were "flat" or looking past the Zips.Nothing could be further from the truth. Dayton opened the game with a lead. The Zips responded and out played the Flyers the second ten minutes to take a six point lead into the locker room at the half. Both teams played outstanding basketball. The closeness of the score and the quality of play on both sides attests tothis fact.
In watching the game, I still think they looked past Akron and the early lead just perpetuated that. Just my 2 cents...

Z-R, not sure of what you are speaking of. The two times Dials deliberately missed the second shot the Zips were trailing by three points at the start of his trip to the foul line. The Zips were down by two points after Dials made the first attempt. Nick missed the rim on the second shot. He was aiming for the rim. He missed it.
The Zips were down 82-80 after Dials made the first attempt like you said so they needed to miss the 2nd FT and score a bucket to tie the game (only 3 seconds were left). So ND should have lofted up an off center shot that would have come down on the top of the rim and bounced up to give us a chance to tap it in. He's a good shooter so that would be within his ability. Instead he fires it hard off the backboard and misses the rim completely. Maybe he was trying to hit the front of the rim hard so the low post Dayton players couldn't get it but that just makes it difficult for anyone to handle a rebound and get a shot back up. And I find it hard to believe ND couldn't hit the rim since he wasn't having trouble making his shots down the stretch. Apparently KD has not done an adequate job of preparing for end-game situations and/or needs to study the rulebook. It was a dumb turnover and missed opportunity.

jeaglet, a couple of points for you ... 1) The clock was running when Dials received the outlet pass. There were 2.4 seconds remaining when the free throw was attempted. The score keeper stops the clock on the foul. If we watch in slow motion with a super imposed clock we would see that Dials probably started his shotwith about one second remaining. Thus, .3 seconds to shoot is irrelevant in this case.2) Having attended the game and dealt with the game long high intensity of the arena environment, I can assure you that the Flyers knew from the start that the Zipswere ready to play. Two Dayton coaches spoke on the radio after the game and both commented that the Flyers knew going in that Akron came to win. There wasno let down. Dayton jumped to an eight to two lead opening the game. Does that sound like playing without heart?The Dayton assistant coach stated that he thought the Zips were a BETTER team than PITT. I agree.Z-R ... what? Dials went to the free throw line TWICE where he deliberately missed the second shot. The time Nick missed the rim on the second free throw was the firsttime. Then score was 82-79 then. The free throw made the score 82-80. Dials misses the rim; the ball is awarded to Dayton on the violation. The Zips promptlyfouled. The Dayton player makes the first free throw making the score 83-80. On the second attempt the ball rattles out and the Zips gain possession. Dials receivesthe outlet and is fouled. Now, the second time is similar to the first. The Zips are down three. Dials makes the first. This time he hits the rim, but a Flyer tips therebound away. Time expires.There was no bad coaching. The Zips are well coached. I find it incredulous that you are nit picking. The real issue should be the pathetic officiating. The Zips stafffound EIGHTEEN bad and/or missed calls when they reviewed the game tape. Since you watched the game, I presume on the video link, you should have seensome of the bad or missed calls. Two really stand out in my mind. One was the hefty shove in the back Nate Linhart received when penetrating the lane. He was shovedso hard that the ball weakly went from his out stretched hand. The Flyer fans taunted Linhart with "air ball". Had that been a UD player they would have protestedso loudly the game would need to be stopped to calm them down. No call. The Akron bench protested loudly and long.The other bad call I remember that I will point out was Dayton's Brian Roberts driving into the Zips Darryl Roberts. Darryl clearly had position. Darryl was calledfor a blocking foul. UD's Brian Roberts shoots two, makes both. Since I was privvy to reviewing this in KD's office today I assure you that the coaching staff wasquite upset with the bad call.

Yes Akron play thier heart out and my hat is off to them. :bow: However. It's still a lost.If the zips don't beat the Dayton, Winthrops that are willing to play them then they will never fill the seatsor get any National recognition.I'm sorry to be so blunt.

jeaglet, a couple of points for you ... 1) The clock was running when Dials received the outlet pass. There were 2.4 seconds remaining when the free throw was attempted. The score keeper stops the clock on the foul. If we watch in slow motion with a super imposed clock we would see that Dials probably started his shotwith about one second remaining. Thus, .3 seconds to shoot is irrelevant in this case.2) Having attended the game and dealt with the game long high intensity of the arena environment, I can assure you that the Flyers knew from the start that the Zipswere ready to play. Two Dayton coaches spoke on the radio after the game and both commented that the Flyers knew going in that Akron came to win. There wasno let down. Dayton jumped to an eight to two lead opening the game. Does that sound like playing without heart?The Dayton assistant coach stated that he thought the Zips were a BETTER team than PITT. I agree.
As I said, in watching the game live, I thought it was shots, but theres no point in beating a dead horse, they made the call... I was just tossing ideas out there.My comment about looking past the Zips was not directed at the coaches, but at the players. Id expect the coaches to continually praise a team who just took them to double OT. And I think jumping out to the lead early made the Dayton players down shift a gear to be honest. Something they realized was a mistake quickly. I'm not trying to take anything away from the Zips. That performance makes the team and conference proud. The MAC needs Akron, Ohio, Miami and Can't to all do well in conference play. It needs its top teams to separate. Something that hasnt happened in a long time...

Z-R ... what? Dials went to the free throw line TWICE where he deliberately missed the second shot. The time Nick missed the rim on the second free throw was the first time. Then score was 82-79 then. The free throw made the score 82-80. Dials misses the rim; the ball is awarded to Dayton on the violation.
And how was that not a boneheaded play on our part? It's clear to me that Nick did not know he had to hit the rim on the miss (the UD announcers knew it right away) for which I mostly blame the coaches...they should cover that scenario in practice. Crying about the officiating does no good...you have to make the most of the opportunities you get. Funny how he was able to do it right and hit the rim on the last intentional miss after learning the rules on the previous attempt.

A-Z-B, sorry, you are wrong.It should have been called a three shot foul. If you actually watch CAREFULLY, you can see that Dials was cocking his arm for a long heave at the basket. With 0.2seconds remaining it was his only option.I attended the game. Sat with Jeremy Sallee's parents high up in the nose bleed section. Even from there it was obvious that Dials was attempting make a desperationshot. If anything, it could also have been called a flagrant INTENTIONAL foul (which it truly was). Over twelve thousand Flyer fans let out a very audible collectivemoan when the foul was committed. They knew instantly that Dials was going to the line to shoot three and tie the game 83 all.Mike Foote is a fine, decent, honest referee. I respect him. That he attended Cant and played for them is of little consequence.The bad call; it was a bad call; robbed the Zips of the opportunity to win or lose the game by their own hand. The game is tainted.
I didn't say it shouldn't have been called. Maybe I mis-spoke but all I was trying to say was that you're not going to get a huge call like that against a top-25 team on their home court. Thats just my $.02

Z-R ... what? Dials went to the free throw line TWICE where he deliberately missed the second shot. The time Nick missed the rim on the second free throw was the first time. Then score was 82-79 then. The free throw made the score 82-80. Dials misses the rim; the ball is awarded to Dayton on the violation.
And how was that not a boneheaded play on our part? It's clear to me that Nick did not know he had to hit the rim on the miss (the UD announcers knew it right away) for which I mostly blame the coaches...they should cover that scenario in practice. Crying about the officiating does no good...you have to make the most of the opportunities you get. Funny how he was able to do it right and hit the rim on the last intentional miss after learning the rules on the previous attempt.