Stadium Update in ABJ this a.m.

K-Roo

''Nash Street is about on the 50-yard line'' for the stadium, said Ted Curtis, UA vice president for capital planning and facilities management.Still, the official groundbreaking for the long-awaited facility will be postponed until the spring, he said.UA officials originally had talked about having a groundbreaking ceremony for the $61.5 million stadium this month, but that was before they realized some of the property for the project would be tied up by two separate issues.
Once students are back on campus for the start of the spring semester next week, they will be able to remove what's left of their belongings in the four so-called ''kangaroo dorms'' that are on the footprint of the stadium north of Nash Street.The Joey, Wallaby, Wallaroo and Brown Street residence halls will be the first buildings to be demolished after students clean them out, Curtis said. Then UA will begin demolishing some of the homes it has purchased.
Delayed again. I can't wait until they start demolishing things, though. Should be fun to watch.

Slum lords don't understand the word 'appreciate.' They guy who owns the Sun bar is an idiot. He should have made plans to sell and purchase a new building across the street or in the area to capitalize on the stadiums traffic..
I think his cousin/brother/relative owns property across the street. Maybe they should consolidate their money and build a new and better Zip Strip block across the street.

:lol:
Slum lords don't understand the word 'appreciate.' They guy who owns the Sun bar is an idiot. He should have made plans to sell and purchase a new building across the street or in the area to capitalize on the stadiums traffic..
:lol: no...he should make UofA give him enough money to buy a new piece of property and/or bldg. since they want where he has been for YEARS...

:lol:
:lol: no...he should make UofA give him enough money to buy a new piece of property and/or bldg. since they want where he has been for YEARS...
Don't you guys realize that the Sun Bar was once named as one of Playboy's Top 100 College Bars? Come On! That's history!!!

The south side of Exchange Street is an embarassment. Are there plans in the works to renovate that strip? How about that apartment/condo complex that we've been hearing about for, what, two years now? Is that ever going to get off the ground? And if so, where exactly is it to be located? Across the street from the new stadium, or farther west?

The south side of Exchange Street is an embarassment. Are there plans in the works to renovate that strip? How about that apartment/condo complex that we've been hearing about for, what, two years now? Is that ever going to get off the ground? And if so, where exactly is it to be located? Across the street from the new stadium, or farther west?
It's called the "Spicer Village Townhomes" and involves the block between Brown, Spicer, Power, and Crouse. I've heard from a friend who works for the Akron water dept that they are working on the plans for vacating Emmit Ct and Gray Ct. The waterlines in the area are old and all need updating from what I've been told. No idea when they will start building. With the housing market a bit soft, it wouldn't surprise me if this project gets delayed some. I believe it is the first phase of a larger project to do the same thing (townhomes+retail) to that entire area.

The first part of the project is already underway. On the corner of Brown and Power Street they tore down an entire block and have begun laying the foundation of Spicer Village. I believe they will use that as a base to expand block by block buying up condemned propertied as they come.