JD, Get on the Phone!

Might still be a chance to get this kid!

Recruiting: Moon High School lineman commits to Indiana

Friday, October 08, 2004

By Mike White, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

John Bachman had some scholarship offers this summer from Mid-American Conference schools. Then a Big Ten school offered and won his heart.

Bachman, a 6-foot-4, 255-pound lineman at Moon High School, has made a verbal commitment to the Indiana Hoosiers. He is the fifth offensive lineman from the WPIAL senior class to commit to a Division I-A school.

Bachman had offers from Akron, Bowling Green, Can't State and Central Michigan before Indiana came through.

"Whenever you get an offer from a Big Ten school, it kind of changes the situation," said Bachman, who was recruited to play offensive guard. "Probably what turned me around was when I went up there and met the coaches."

Bachman participated in Indiana's football camp in June and also attended the Hoosiers' season opener against Central Michigan. Pitt also offered a scholarship to Bachman last week.

"I definitely did like Pitt," Bachman said. "Maybe if they would've offered in June or July, I might have taken it. But it just didn't work out."

Bachman committed to Indiana last week.

"A big part of it is their coaching staff," Bachman said. "When I went out there for their camp, I saw not only are they good coaches, but they're really good guys. They're down to earth and they're real. I feel like I can really relate to them. Plus, they've got first-class facilities and they're in the Big Ten, which in my eyes is the best conference in college football."

Indiana is 2-3 this season, but Bachman believes the Hoosiers are on the rise.

"I really believe they can be, if not on top in the Big Ten, then at least a top competitor," he said.

The other WPIAL offensive linemen who have committed to Division I-A schools are Burrell's John Brown (Pitt), Riverview's Shane Steffy (Bowling Green), Baldwin's Keith Huebner (Akron) and Montour's Josh Byrom (Louisville).