Stadium Cams Are Live!!!!!

K-Roo

I agree with you that only 30% of our student body is living on campus with another 15% living in private properties within walking distance from campus. That puts us at 45% which is around 11,500 students. If half of those show up at a free of charge Div I football game in their backyard, we are talking about 5000-6000 students per game. That's almost 4 times of what we have right now.
Great points. The bottom line being: On campus stadium=higher student turnout. You have to take the freeway to get to the RB from campus, yet visiting teams comment on how obnoxious our student section is. Or take a look at the Can't game this year. The Rowdies made more noise than anyone else there. I can not WAIT for ICS!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To those of you who refuse to have faith in the student section growing to fill those sections, I have this to say:When the Info opens next year and we get students to mostly fill the bleacher stands, I will be laughing at every one of you who thought it wasn't possible. If you don't have faith in something happening, then it'll never happen. Do you honestly think the average student on or near campus is going to pass up a FREE D1-A college football game in a BEAUTIFUL new stadium that blows any other stadium in the area out of the water? The ROWDIES started as a 50-person group, We're now at over 1200 and if every one shows up, we can fill one side of the JAR alone. Have some damn faith in the school and its students
I would love nothing more than to be proven wrong. I just don't see us filling 5-6K worth of student seating all season. I can see us doing it for the opener which I expect to be pretty close to a sell out one way or another, but I still think at this point the estimates of student support are too ambitious. If we can average 3500 students next year I'd be THRILLED. Laugh at me all you want, but I've seen enough of the student support on this campus. I've been around on the weekends. I've been to the football games. I've been to the basketball games. I've lived on campus. Based on my experiences I just can't share in the optimism of 5-6K students all season long filling the Info that I've seen floated around here.

the thing that really makes me mad is that akron students care way more about that school is columbus??? like i understand you in live in ohio...big deal you don't go there, you go to AKRON...root for AKRON. so ya i see the student section filling up if for some reason we play that other school., and our student section will be all red.
im getting quite sick of people claiming this, when i go to games, the people who are listening to the suckeyes on the radio while tailgating are the Alumni and NOT the students.I just dont see this huge love for OSWHO.It's there but not as much as you claim.

To those of you who refuse to have faith in the student section growing to fill those sections, I have this to say:When the Info opens next year and we get students to mostly fill the bleacher stands, I will be laughing at every one of you who thought it wasn't possible. If you don't have faith in something happening, then it'll never happen. Do you honestly think the average student on or near campus is going to pass up a FREE D1-A college football game in a BEAUTIFUL new stadium that blows any other stadium in the area out of the water? The ROWDIES started as a 50-person group, We're now at over 1200 and if every one shows up, we can fill one side of the JAR alone. Have some damn faith in the school and its students
AMEN

the thing that really makes me mad is that akron students care way more about that school is columbus??? like i understand you in live in ohio...big deal you don't go there, you go to AKRON...root for AKRON. so ya i see the student section filling up if for some reason we play that other school., and our student section will be all red.
im getting quite sick of people claiming this, when i go to games, the people who are listening to the suckeyes on the radio while tailgating are the Alumni and NOT the students.I just dont see this huge love for OSWHO.It's there but not as much as you claim.
as a current Akron student and faithful Zips football follower, I do not see the harm in supporting and rooting for more than one team. So long as they do not exist in the same conference and have to play each other regularly.I grew up watching Ohio State football. In my high school days, I was obsessed with it. I loved it so much I painted my room scarlet and grey. However, when touring colleges I fell in love with the University of Akron. My first year here I still supported and watched the Buckeyes but I never missed a Zips home football game. I still have yet to miss a home game(with the exception of the post-Turkey Day games) since I've started going here. I do my best to bring people to games with me, including my parents who come up to the games despite living an hour away.Oh, and I do all this without being a member of the AK-Rowdies.

as a current Akron student and faithful Zips football follower, I do not see the harm in supporting and rooting for more than one team. So long as they do not exist in the same conference and have to play each other regularly.I grew up watching Ohio State football. In my high school days, I was obsessed with it. I loved it so much I painted my room scarlet and grey. However, when touring colleges I fell in love with the University of Akron. My first year here I still supported and watched the Buckeyes but I never missed a Zips home football game. I still have yet to miss a home game(with the exception of the post-Turkey Day games) since I've started going here. I do my best to bring people to games with me, including my parents who come up to the games despite living an hour away.Oh, and I do all this without being a member of the AK-Rowdies.
I am exaggerating a bit...but i live in gallucci and i know 90% of my floor is all out suckeye fans. So saturdays all i hear is yelling and stupid idiotic douche bags running around acting retarded. Its so annoying and me and my friends just keep to ourselves. We all hate the suckeyes and one saturday we were talking to some girls and we mentioned we did not like osu. So some dudes down the hall heard and naturally wanted to fight us....are u serious???? we go to AKRON and u want to fight us because we don't like the suckeyes...thats a little extreme.

Akron City Series football coverages sucks these days unless your Garfield HS. I'm always writing the ABJ sports editor letting them know there more the One HS in Akron.
When it comes to football, one program has stood above all the others in the history of the Akron City Series, and it's Garfield. It was very appropriate that the last City Series game in the Rubber Bowl was Garfield/Buchtel (arguably the two best City Series' programs), and it was nice to see the good guys win another championship. Nice to see the Beacon get one thing right, as they don't get much right! Go Rams!

Akron City Series football coverages sucks these days unless your Garfield HS. I'm always writing the ABJ sports editor letting them know there more the One HS in Akron.
When it comes to football, one program has stood above all the others in the history of the Akron City Series, and it's Garfield. It was very appropriate that the last City Series game in the Rubber Bowl was Garfield/Buchtel (arguably the two best City Series' programs), and it was nice to see the good guys win another championship. Nice to see the Beacon get one thing right, as they don't get much right! Go Rams!
That's right when you're saying history. But, Garfield hadn't won a city title since 2001 before they won this one and they still got the best coverage 2002 through last year even the year they went 2-8 a couple of years ago, you would thought they were 8-2 the way the ABJ covered them. They haven't been the best team Six of the the last seven years and couple of those years were only a Kenmore, Firestone and Central-Hower from being in the basement. Bottom line is they didn't warrant getting game coverage and human interests coverage they got six of the last seven years over the other HS's.There more then one HS in Akron and while Garfield has proud tradition and history. It's not right to basically ignore 5 of the other 6 schools when comes to scores and coverage. That's truly sad saying Garfield is the best team so we're going to cover them and screw everybody else.An attitude like that is why the ABJ covers Ohio St and say screw UofA who sits on the same street as them.

That's right when you're saying history. But, Garfield hadn't won a city title since 2001 before they won this one and they still got the best coverage 2002 through last year even the year they went 2-8 a couple of years ago, you would thought they were 8-2 the way the ABJ covered them. They haven't been the best team Six of the the last seven years and couple of those years were only a Kenmore, Firestone and Central-Hower from being in the basement. Bottom line is they didn't warrant getting game coverage and human interests coverage they got six of the last seven years over the other HS's.There more then one HS in Akron and while Garfield has proud tradition and history. It's not right to basically ignore 5 of the other 6 schools when comes to scores and coverage. That's truly sad saying Garfield is the best team so we're going to cover them and screw everybody else.An attitude like that is why the ABJ covers Ohio St and say screw UofA who sits on the same street as them.
Most of their coverage this decade was because of a single player: Beanie Wells. As soon as he verballed to OSU (I believe he was a sophomore), everybody, especially the ABJ, treated him like the football version of LeBron. There were better running backs playing for other high school teams in Akron at the same time, but because he was going to go to OSU he got all the attention.

Most of their coverage this decade was because of a single player: Beanie Wells. As soon as he verballed to OSU (I believe he was a sophomore), everybody, especially the ABJ, treated him like the football version of LeBron. There were better running backs playing for other high school teams in Akron at the same time, but because he was going to go to OSU he got all the attention.
You shouldn't even post if you are going to make idiotic comments like this. Wells was the #1 OVERALL recruit in the United States of America. No area running backs were better. In fact, Wells would be the 1st running back taken in the NFL draft if he came out this year. The guy was one of the 2 or 3 leading Heisman candidates before his early season injury. If you don't like OSU that is one thing. Being an idiot and making stupid comments just to rip on OSU is something else entirely. This crap needs to stop on this board. I doubt OSU fans are on their boards ripping on the Zips. lolI thought this thread was about the new stadium yet somehow we veer off into this garbage.

You shouldn't even post if you are going to make idiotic comments like this. Wells was the #1 OVERALL recruit in the United States of America. No area running backs were better. In fact, Wells would be the 1st running back taken in the NFL draft if he came out this year. The guy was one of the 2 or 3 leading Heisman candidates before his early season injury. If you don't like OSU that is one thing. Being an idiot and making stupid comments just to rip on OSU is something else entirely. This crap needs to stop on this board. I doubt OSU fans are on their boards ripping on the Zips. lolI thought this thread was about the new stadium yet somehow we veer off into this garbage.
The thread veered off course as we were talking about UofA lousy coverage by ABJ and someone made the comments about the great HS. I disagreed. I agree Wells was top RB coming out of HS. But, Garfield was not the top team in the city of Akron when Bennie played for them. They didn't win the city title while he was there nor did they make the state playoffs. But, the poster is right the ABJ covered Garfield because of Wells back in 2004-2005 and not because of Garfield as Buchtel and Ellet were the better team at that time. But, Garfield got the prime coverage. It still makes no sense. You have a lot of great players here in Georgia who have committed to UGA. But, if their team stinks. They're not getting prime coverage because of the player. One of the top recruits in the state committed last spring to UGA. But, his team is medicore this fall and are not getting the type of coverage the ABJ gave Garfield when Bennie was there. Bottom line is the ABJ needs to do better with UofA and I for one will keep flooding them with emails until they do.

Hopefully this will end speculation of the Endzone Facility and it's use. Endzone Facility:First Floor (Field Level): FOOTBALL GAME DAY FACILITIES - team meeting/locker room for both the Zips and high schools, coaches meeting/locker room, press room, equipment room and restroom/shower area. SPORTS MEDICINE OPERATIONS - treatment/taping area, rehabilitation area, hydrotherapy room, examination/X-ray room, two offices and storage. Second Floor: sports team programming to be determined.

Hopefully this will end speculation of the Endzone Facility and it's use. Endzone Facility:First Floor (Field Level): FOOTBALL GAME DAY FACILITIES - team meeting/locker room for both the Zips and high schools, coaches meeting/locker room, press room, equipment room and restroom/shower area. SPORTS MEDICINE OPERATIONS - treatment/taping area, rehabilitation area, hydrotherapy room, examination/X-ray room, two offices and storage. Second Floor: sports team programming to be determined.
So could they drop a grandstand on top of that thing if necessity calls for more seating?

So could they drop a grandstand on top of that thing if necessity calls for more seating?
I was thinking about that a couple weeks ago when they started to clear out for footers in that endzone structure.... that hopefully they are going to pour larger parts to bare loads above for bleachers if ever necessary. I'm sure they thought of it, but what I am not sure of is whether they wanted to add the expense for the structural improvements now for an "if" that might come up later

I mean a permanent structure. There was talk when this was unveiled that there was future expansion capabilities included in the design .. wondering if that structure being all below grade allows for deck of seating on top of it.
Okay...I thought about this as well when I saw the renderings and the web cams, and I think that if they were to expand to one end zone, I think they'd go with the North end zone. The south one will have the new dorms very closeby, but more that I think leaving the south end zone open makes it more inviting to people who are driving by on Exchange. On the north side, they have much more room to work with. However, like you said, I wonder if the footers and support walls in the north end zone facility are being designed to potentially support the load of an entire deck of stadium seating.

My inital assumption of any future expansion has always been to wrap that stands around the north endozone, butting some seats all the way up to the North Endzone Facility. I believe that was the main purpose behind desiging the NEF with the angled sides. I do believe they are building the NEF to support the added weigh, but also the majority of that load would be where Vine is. The city has pretty much given the university permission to kill that street anyway.The one argument against this, is that it takes out any view of campus for the people sitting inside the stadium. Looking at the renderings, and proximity of the Residence halls, it is not hard to imagine stands where the grass berm is, and then a second tier behind that where the current Plaza and scoreboard now sit. The scoreboard would then be moved to the north endzone.Either way we won't have to worry about it for at least 5 years and more likely 10. And if we don't get all of friends and students to show up to the games and some very successful teams, we won't have to worry about any expansion at all.