Stadium Cams Are Live!!!!!

K-Roo

That article explains what's wrong with the mentality of how stadium (and arena) seating is designed, and it doesn't even know it.It focused on hip width. For many people, particularly men, their shoulders, and more importantly elbows, are wider than their hips. Hence the common term "elbow room".I cannot stand being packed in next to someone so close that at least half of the spectators have to stick their freaking arms in your lap just to fit.
Hence why the JAR rarely sells out, despite the Zips being an excellent team. Squishing together with a complete stranger in a 93 degree gym with your wife and kids ain't where it's at. At least for a lot of folks I know.Too few good seats at the JAR.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Took a stroll over to the stadium between games on Sunday.Half of what was Vine Street is not even there any more. Just past the chain link barrier the groundjust drops away. The entire south end zone area is getting dug out in preperation for the new endzone building to be constructed.To me, the sight of the buildings beyond the south end hill of dirt is even more fun. Looks like thedirt pile is being carted away.

Walked around the stadium sight today. It's looking beautiful! You can see the cement stairs/tiers in the north-west section and they are already putting red brick and sandstone facing on a structure in the concourse on the western 50-yard line. The red brick is a great shade of red and the sandstone looks classy too! It's going to be gorgeous!

Where are the locker room facilities in this new stadium?
On the Visitors side they currently putting in the visitors locker room which will go under the visitors stand. If, look down towards Exchange St on the Visitors side you can see the entrance and the area they've been working on is under the stands behind the lower stands is the visitors locker room. The endzone facility they're currently removing dirt for will house the gameday locker room for UofA.

I was thinking the other day. We have kind of a "Circle of Honor" at the Rubber Bowl, honoring Dennison, Taylor and a few others. Has anyone heard if these names will be added to the stadium in someway? For instance the front wall of the upper stands. I think it would be kind of cool to see the names like that.

Rutgers struggling to get financing needed for stadium LinkMany people thought Rutgers' meteoric rise to the upper echelon of college football would make requests for renovations to the football stadium an easy end run.Guess again.Despite the fact New Jersey Governor Jon Corzine personally kicked in $1 million, the school is far short of the $30 million it is looking for to make desired changes to Rutgers Stadium. The country will get a look at the place tonight when Rutgers hosts North Carolina in a game televised by ESPN.Scarlet Knights supporters had donated or pledged only an additional $92,962 as of Sept. 3The situation is dire enough that the school's Board of Governors held a four-hour closed-door meeting on the issue Wednesday. When it was over, the Governors had nothing to say to reporters. The silence spoke volumes about the concern over the issue.

Rutgers struggling to get financing needed for stadium LinkMany people thought Rutgers' meteoric rise to the upper echelon of college football would make requests for renovations to the football stadium an easy end run.Guess again.Despite the fact New Jersey Governor Jon Corzine personally kicked in $1 million, the school is far short of the $30 million it is looking for to make desired changes to Rutgers Stadium. The country will get a look at the place tonight when Rutgers hosts North Carolina in a game televised by ESPN.Scarlet Knights supporters had donated or pledged only an additional $92,962 as of Sept. 3The situation is dire enough that the school's Board of Governors held a four-hour closed-door meeting on the issue Wednesday. When it was over, the Governors had nothing to say to reporters. The silence spoke volumes about the concern over the issue.
The overall project needs 100 mil and at the rate they're going. They'll never raise it.

The big crane is moving around today after sitting idle since before Labor Day. :blink: Maybe well get to see the final three floors of the press tower start to go up today. :D
I don't know much about this sorta construction, but I'm gonna guess that they have to (have been) shoring up the lateral and angular translation of the loads before adding the upper level steel work.

The big crane is moving around today after sitting idle since before Labor Day. :blink: Maybe well get to see the final three floors of the press tower start to go up today. :D
I was getting curious as to what it's working on myself. It seems to be solely focusing on the northern side of the structure between it and the field house. So perhaps possible bridge steel, but I would have thought the bridge would be done near the end of the project.

Having just walked by the stadium, I can tell you a few things you can't really see from the cams, since they are so far away.1st, there are restrooms/concession stands going up on the home side. I don't know if there will be any on the visitor's side yet. 2nd, the new steel is the full height of the stadium. It's massive from street level, but it will look incredibly high when you are down near the field, which is at least 35 feet below street level. 3rd, there is lots of activity happening on the former Union Street (behind the tower). They are building a "terrace" of sorts in the center of the tower that sticks out about 12 feet from the current structure in a slight bow shape. They are filling in the outer walls on the ground level, and there is quite a bit of work happening on a smaller scale than we can see from the cams.

Having just walked by the stadium, I can tell you a few things you can't really see from the cams, since they are so far away.1st, there are restrooms/concession stands going up on the home side. I don't know if there will be any on the visitor's side yet. 2nd, the new steel is the full height of the stadium. It's massive from street level, but it will look incredibly high when you are down near the field, which is at least 35 feet below street level. 3rd, there is lots of activity happening on the former Union Street (behind the tower). They are building a "terrace" of sorts in the center of the tower that sticks out about 12 feet from the current structure in a slight bow shape. They are filling in the outer walls on the ground level, and there is quite a bit of work happening on a smaller scale than we can see from the cams.
I'm sure the visitors side will have it's own restrooms and concession stands built under the stands. :P

Hey ZNO I'm thinking I might take a walk over to the site and snap some pics tomorrow if possible. Anything I should be focusing on? Obviously the home side will have most of the focus as I'll be coming from the South Quad ;)
hey betch,see if you can get a nice shot of the concrete work in the lower seats. It's hard to see how that's coming out on the cams.Thanx

Well here are the pics, I hope you guys enjoy them!!!This place is gonna be huge!!!IMG_1768.jpgdoes anyone actually know what these are? IMG_1774.jpgframework for the centerpiece of the rear standsIMG_1796.jpgsome bricklayers going to workIMG_1776.jpgoverall view of the home stands from exchangeIMG_1779.jpgnot too much going on over on the visiting side... doesn't seem to be too high of a priority =PIMG_1783.jpgit's a hole!IMG_1786.jpg