Can't game thread

ZippyRulz

If we would have played a few minutes in the 1st half it wouldn't have come down to all that drama at the end. It goes to show, though, never give up. If we could shoot the 3's consistently we would be unstoppable.
Live by the 3, Die by the 3. Never held more true than tonight.Give our team a lot of credit for the comeback, but we play just a little better here and a little better there............
This sums it up exactly QZ. Zips hit their season average and we win by a half-dozen. Not to say that we weren't outplayed on both sides of the ball, but we had a lot of good looks from downtown and no one could hit. Hopefully they got the case of the bricksies out of their collective system tonight.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to the game and just got home and I wanted to see the DVR of the first couple of minutes where the refs sucked and blew 2 Can't travelling calls and a couple fouls inside on D and to watch the comeback and it was a freakin PAC-10 women's game. I can't believe it. On the DVR it says Akron Can't but it wasn't. I have Massillon Cable and am really P.O.'d. I'd be more mad if we would have won, but still.

Bottom Line....this team is not equipped to shoot 13% from 3-point land and beat anyone, let alone Can't. Yet, we defy all odds and almost score a miracle comeback.I do have to question the Goddard/Milum starting lineup. Sure, it was only a couple of minutes, but gosh was that a critical couple of minutes, and took away all of our starting momentum. I hate to say this, but Can't can make some plays defensively that a lot of teams in the MAC cannot make because of their speed and athleticism. That caused problems for us in both games.I still think that the refs let Can't block shots and make contact with the body, yet we are not allowed to do that on the other end. That also happened in both games. I just want to thank the team for showing some hustle at the end, and giving me some excitement for my money. I'll look forward to the tournament. Go Zips !!

I think that Akron can take some positives out of this one. Not many teams that thrive on the 3 ball could overcome something like 1/21 shooting beyond the arc and still make a game of it vs. a very good team. Akron did this and that should keep them from suffering a deep psychological funk after the loss to their arch rival heading up to Cleveland.three observations:1.The officials called a very loose first half which greatly aided Kents physical style of play. The whistles tightend up in the 2nd half and that was a factor in the Zips comeback. Can't could have some difficulty should they draw an over zealous crew in Cleveland. If loose whistles follow the flushes, they probably will not lose.2. Not sure uf the flushes saw much intense full court pressure all season, but they looked like a deer in headlights tonight. The Zips exposed a flaw that may benifit us in Cleveland.3. Al Fisher is a great talent. Has a very polished game inside and outside.

Live by the 3, Die by the 3. Never held more true than tonight.
I disagree. We were an unbelievably bad 3-23 behind the arc against the best team on our schedule and they needed a last second three to win.
You can't be serious? We had no business being in that game in the final seconds. None at all. We got killed, KILLED, all night long up and down the floor. It took a miracle comeback in the last 2:00 minutes for us to even be in the game. Forget their last second three for a minute and focus on the first 38 minutes of basketball.

Bottom Line....this team is not equipped to shoot 13% from 3-point land and beat anyone, let alone Can't. Yet, we defy all odds and almost score a miracle comeback.I do have to question the Goddard/Milum starting lineup. Sure, it was only a couple of minutes, but gosh was that a critical couple of minutes, and took away all of our starting momentum. I hate to say this, but Can't can make some plays defensively that a lot of teams in the MAC cannot make because of their speed and athleticism. That caused problems for us in both games.I still think that the refs let Can't block shots and make contact with the body, yet we are not allowed to do that on the other end. That also happened in both games. I just want to thank the team for showing some hustle at the end, and giving me some excitement for my money. I'll look forward to the tournament. Go Zips !!
Yeah you are right we were 1-20 at the three because Goddard/Milum started. Maybe we should of left Goddard in longer to hit some threes since no one else freakin could.

Forget their last second three for a minute and focus on the first 38 minutes of basketball.
We lost by a bucket while posting our worst WORST three-point shooting performance of the year. Shows me we're capable of surviving a poor night from behind the arc. If we had been 5-23 from behind the arc, it would still have been unbelievably bad, but we'd have won.

Zipfan81...please read my post again. I list our 3-point shooting, and the lack of continuity at the beginning with the odd starting lineup as TWO SEPARATE FACTORS that contributed to our poor play tonight.I DID NOT SAY that Quade and Goddard starting caused us to shoot poor from 3-point range. wOOt...we survive some poor shooting nights because we play good defense. If it wasn't for that, we could have been pushed right out of this game very, very early.

wOOt...we survive some poor shooting nights because we play good defense. If it wasn't for that, we could have been pushed right out of this game very, very early.
I'm with ya, I can't complain too much about tonight's D, especially towards the end of the game. Let's hope that ball pressure shows up for the tournament.

I'm with you Woot. I actually wish that we'd show some pressure defense like that at other junctures of the game, besides the last 2 minutes. Everyone I go to the games with wished we had shown more urgency with some pressure earlier in the half. I agree.
BINGO! Slap that press on periodically. It'll cause a few turnovers with little cost of player fatigue.

Something that didn't get discussed yet....Did everyone in the place hear the moron yell "Go Can't State" in the middle of the natonal anthem?That kind of thing would still tick me off, even if it was a Akron fan. The fact that it was a Can't fan...well....I'm not surprised. But I still find it incredibly disrespectful. And if I were a military veteran, I can only imagine how irrate I would have been.

Something that didn't get discussed yet....Did everyone in the place hear the moron yell "Go Can't State" in the middle of the natonal anthem?That kind of thing would still tick me off, even if it was a Akron fan. The fact that it was a Can't fan...well....I'm not surprised. But I still find it incredibly disrespectful. And if I were a military veteran, I can only imagine how irrate I would have been.
Yeah I agree, that dude is a moron, but atleast it wasn't the whole student section changing the worlds to the anthem like one student section did at the Miami (OH) game.

I wasn't close enough to the Can't fans to hear what they said during the anthem but weren't we the ones who said "and the home of the Zips" down in Oxford, getting the sweaters panties in a bunch?What did they say that has us peeved?

HAHAHA You guys can't spell throw? WOW what kind of education are you getting?I was little disappointed I thought you guys were Rowdys, you were quiet and KentFans was louder. I would say sorry for the ONE guy who yelled, but the whole student section HOME OF THE ZIPS is the same thing. Hats off to you guys that was a hard fought win for us, hope to see you in the Finals. Oh and by the way :champs:post-4927-1205126409_thumb.jpg