UA Traditions

UA1987

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I second the motion for "whip it" by devo. It's very akrocentric, it's a sweet tune, and as far as i know no other schools use it. I know it would get me pumped if i heard the band playing it. Also, perhaps the band could play "mongoloid" by devo when the opposing team comes out of the locker room? Jokes... :D
Let's hope the opposition isn't typically "happier than you and me!" :rofl: You know, the only slight drawback to anything by Devo is that several members were art students at a certain other school to the east. But who cares, right? When John Q. Public thinks of Devo, he invariably thinks of Akron.

#5 - I'm with you on the whole flag girl thing. How LAME! They have no place on a university-level marching band. They're even considered to be rather LAME on the high school level - where the administration is just concerned with the respective kids' self esteem and with helping to give the kids an identity and sense of belonging by getting the kids involved in something. This isn't high school; this is grown up world now. It's just LAME. Get 'em outta here!
the color guard is there for color and flush. they add to the visual aspect of things and work hard at what they do. (of course you were probabl to busy crawling under the bleachers to notice)

Speaking of the band marching in before the game, and since we are all talking about robbing things from other universities, how about this. At a school I went to for a while down south the band would march in and parade all the way around the stadium and play for the tailgaters before the game. They would stop on every side play the fight song then march on to the next to a simple "tap, tap, tap" on the drums. It was really exciting to hear them coming and everyone would get pumped up. Best part was, you didn't have to put down your beer to go to a pep rally, they came to you. This could happen at the Rubber Bowl I suppose, but I still haven't figured out how they are going to manage the parking situation at the Info, especially with construction on the student housing not being completed until the following year.

but I still haven't figured out how they are going to manage the parking situation at the Info, especially with construction on the student housing not being completed until the following year.
For the love of God HOLLYWOODZIPPY, don't bring up parking!!!!!! There are few topics on this board that will throw the members in to histrionics faster than the thought of paying more than $5.00 to park at a D-1A football game.

How about the Ventures' Wipe Out? I choreographed a routine to that for my cheerleading squad ages ago. It's a great percussion song and has real nice 8 cts. Example: fans put hands up and run in place for a count of 8 and then do a 1/4 turn left and repeat 8 cts and then another 1/4 turn etc. Why not something that's our own? Let's start our own tradition. I'm afraid if we did the jumpy thing from Wisconsin the rubber bowl would implode! lol

but I still haven't figured out how they are going to manage the parking situation at the Info, especially with construction on the student housing not being completed until the following year.
For the love of God HOLLYWOODZIPPY, don't bring up parking!!!!!! There are few topics on this board that will throw the members in to histrionics faster than the thought of paying more than $5.00 to park at a D-1A football game.
:lol: OH! :lightbulb:Didn't someone mention skydivers bringing in the game ball?Well, maybe it would be cheaper to pay $75 to get dropped out of a plane over the stadium before game rather than paying for parking.$15 refund if you land in your seat.$25 penalty if you land on other people.$75 prize for taking out flush fans

I hadn't considered the price of parking, only where said parking would take place. I like the airplane idea though, it's creative. I agree with ZippyAlum that any traditions should be original and not borrowed from other schools. The great thing about moving the games on campus is that it provides a great opportunity to start something new. I may not have been a part of the nation for very long, but I must say this is probably my favorite thread to read through, there are a lot of interesting ideas here.

There's more parking spots on campus than people realize. Every single day that I go to class, I drive by 6 different mostly empty lots. I never spend more than 30 seconds finding a spot to park in one of the lots. The parking is there, what causes the complaints is the fact that students might have to actually walk more than 100 feet to get from their car to the classroom.

I'm sorry I opened that can of worms. No more talk of parking, this is a traditions thread.How about this, before every game while people are tailgating and such they blast on the PA "Karn Evil" by Emerson Lake and Palmer. At least the beginning to let people know it's about to go down. "Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends, we're so glad you could attend come inside come inside......." :rock:

I'm sorry I opened that can of worms. No more talk of parking, this is a traditions thread.How about this, before every game while people are tailgating and such they blast on the PA "Karn Evil" by Emerson Lake and Palmer. At least the beginning to let people know it's about to go down. "Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends, we're so glad you could attend come inside come inside......." :rock:
I like it! Very festive and encouraging. I just hope we don't have have them play Greg Lake's "C'est La Vie" AFTER too many home games :lol:

One thing with this celebration song selection - it should be able to be played by the Band and it should be somewhat age friendly. We don't want to do what the Siberian Orchestra did to their stoner Christmas show. Rock on dude, and the angel did a shot.... (I'm not crazy religious or anything, but that show was a bit strange). So far I vote for 'Whip it', but 'Wipe-out' is a close second.

There's more parking spots on campus than people realize. Every single day that I go to class, I drive by 6 different mostly empty lots. I never spend more than 30 seconds finding a spot to park in one of the lots. The parking is there, what causes the complaints is the fact that students might have to actually walk more than 100 feet to get from their car to the classroom.
You observation could not be more spot on. I had a friend who attended OSU during their freshman & sophomore years and then finished up their degree at UA. She used to laugh and call UA students "whiners" when they'd complain about parking. I guess at OSU if you get a parking space less than a 20 minute's walk from your class you generally consider yourself pretty lucky! The parking's not bad at all! Maybe it's just that the only perspective of parking and walking that many of the students have is limited to either their experiences at former high schools or the shopping malls? That kinda sounds like a smart-a$$ comment, but i'm not intending to sound that way. I really mean it - I think most of the students are just accustomed to parking 50 yards from the entrance to their high school, 30 yards from the entrance to a shopping mall or 25 feet from the entrance to Starbucks. In reality, a 10-minute's walk to class is nothing!

I have an idea for the last game at the RB. We should have a "Fill the Bowl....with Rubber" night. Everyone brings a set of their old tires, and when the thing is over they all roll their tires down the bleachers. Then, everyone goes outside and we have the biggest bonfire in college history!

I have an idea for the last game at the RB. We should have a "Fill the Bowl....with Rubber" night. Everyone brings a set of their old tires, and when the thing is over they all roll their tires down the bleachers. Then, everyone goes outside and we have the biggest bonfire in college history!
haha! and tires burn so cleanly! We could send videos to Can't so they can see how green we are.

A couple of last comments on our Band traditions:...4) Do we have to prance onto the field? - I don't remember the Band doing this 20 years ago. If everyone likes it OK, but I'm not real big on it.
What you refer to as "prancing" I believe is the doubletime chairstep marching which has been part of the (mostly) same entrance routine since Jacoboice introduced it before my time in the 80's. While I would be one of the first to scream (not that that carries any weight) if it was removed from the pregame entrance at the RB, a new stadium offers a new opportunity for a new tradition. Hopefully Mr. Karriker can be up to the task when he returns (he is returning, isn't he?).

I'm sorry I opened that can of worms. No more talk of parking, this is a traditions thread.
I hope you've learned an important lesson here. Parking discussions are a tradition on this Zips board though.....unfortunately.

Don't be surprised if you get a letter from Green Peace.

• 1 year later...

OK i know a lot of people are debating witch version of the fight song is right. So i just want to say maybe the athletic department wants the new version of the fight song but the students at the game sing the version that the band sings with "Zip go the zippers" and "Akron U. Personally I'm a fan of traditions and we should keep the same version all the alumni sang. Plus I would go with the version that is in the music department being this is where it was written originally. As for the Marching Band (I'm sure many will disagree but) I would love to see the band go back to the original style (high step and swing) created by Richard "Chief" Jackoboice. Check out these videos of the band from 1990 when they still had the original style and tell me the band wasn't a lot better. (no offense to those in the band today)

I think each college needs a unique style not this drum corp style that has been adopted by the majority of high schools and some colleges. I guess why I am so passionate about this is because I came from The Cuyahoga Falls Marching Tiger Band who has a similar style to the original Akron Band and is deep in traditions. One thing I would love to see is the return of the majorette line, I mean we have a featured twirler but in order for that to really make sense we need more twirlers. (featured twirler used to be the best of the bunch)Also, unfortunately now for the band to get the numbers it does it has to rely on the requirement that all music ed students must be in it for 2 years. I don't know this for sure but back when the band was still all high step I bet they got the numbers with out that rule. I would also love to see new uniforms. The ones used now have no real identification that it is from akron besides the akron zips on the collar and sleeves. I would like to either see the roo head logo on the front or the old Block A on the front that way the band is more recognizable as being from the University of Akron. As for the new stadium I know for sure that the band is already planing a parade through campus before every home game so you don't have to worry about that.

Welcome to the forum zipsfreak. Great suggestions imho. :wave:

OK i know a lot of people are debating witch version of the fight song is right. So i just want to say maybe the athletic department wants the new version of the fight song but the students at the game sing the version that the band sings with "Zip go the zippers" and "Akron U. Personally I'm a fan of traditions and we should keep the same version all the alumni sang. Plus I would go with the version that is in the music department being this is where it was written originally. As for the Marching Band (I'm sure many will disagree but) I would love to see the band go back to the original style (high step and swing) created by Richard "Chief" Jackoboice. Check out these videos of the band from 1990 when they still had the original style and tell me the band wasn't a lot better. (no offense to those in the band today)
I think each college needs a unique style not this drum corp style that has been adopted by the majority of high schools and some colleges. I guess why I am so passionate about this is because I came from The Cuyahoga Falls Marching Tiger Band who has a similar style to the original Akron Band and is deep in traditions. One thing I would love to see is the return of the majorette line, I mean we have a featured twirler but in order for that to really make sense we need more twirlers. (featured twirler used to be the best of the bunch)Also, unfortunately now for the band to get the numbers it does it has to rely on the requirement that all music ed students must be in it for 2 years. I don't know this for sure but back when the band was still all high step I bet they got the numbers with out that rule. I would also love to see new uniforms. The ones used now have no real identification that it is from akron besides the akron zips on the collar and sleeves. I would like to either see the roo head logo on the front or the old Block A on the front that way the band is more recognizable as being from the University of Akron. As for the new stadium I know for sure that the band is already planing a parade through campus before every home game so you don't have to worry about that.

Mr. Karriker is coming back.... he has already completely revamped pregame (all high-step)Unfortunately, the new pregame bears a striking resemblance to Michigan State's pregame.... so if you want a preview.Also, somebody was saying something about more drum corps like pregame "parking lot" warm ups and junk.... just look for the Trumpet section behind Buchtel Hall a couple hours before home games for our "Warm Ups." So listen for us, and stop by.

Mr. Karriker is coming back.... he has already completely revamped pregame (all high-step)Unfortunately, the new pregame bears a striking resemblance to Michigan State's pregame.... so if you want a preview.Also, somebody was saying something about more drum corps like pregame "parking lot" warm ups and junk.... just look for the Trumpet section behind Buchtel Hall a couple hours before home games for our "Warm Ups." So listen for us, and stop by.
AWESOME!!! No more walking band (at least for pregame)... Leave the walking band to Can't State... See you at Alumni Band!