Coaches on the Hot Seat

Per CBS sportsline.Below is a list of the CBSSports.com's Hot Seat Ratings for the upcoming college football season.Only five coaches have a rating of at least 4, while zero coaches have a rating of 5. Washington's Tyrone Willingham has the highest score of 4.95 after compiling an 11-25 record in three seasons. Syracuse's Greg Robinson is second with a rating of 4.5, compiling a 7-28 record in three seasons.Of the 120 Division I-A schools, 98 coaches are listed in at least a "safe, solid position." Purdue's Joe Tiller has no rating after announcing this will be his last season as head coach.The most secure BCS conference is the Big 12, with an average rating of 1.21. It also leads with four coaches holding a rating of zero -- Mark Mangino, Bo Pelini, Bob Stoops and Mack Brown. The Pac-10 is the major conference with the hottest seats with a 2.045 average. The most secure non-BCS conference is the Sun Belt, with only one coach earning a rating of at least 3. The least secure non-BCS conference is the Mountain West with a rating of 2.0, including three coaches with a rating of at least 3.Three coaches will be entering their first full season with their teams, but already have posted wins and losses. West Virginia's Bill Stewart won the Fiesta Bowl last season, while Navy's Ken Niumatalolo lost the Poinsettia Bowl. Bo Pelini won the 2003 Alamo Bowl, taking over when Frank Solich was fired.Hot Seat Rating KeyRating What it means Coaches0-0.5 Don't even think it -- can't be touched 251-1.5 Very safe -- change highly unlikely 352-2.5 Safe -- solid position 383-3.5 On the bubble -- you never know 164-4.5 Warm seat -- feeling the pressure 55 On the hot seat -- it's time to win now 0N/A Coach has already announced he is stepping down at the end of the season. 1Team Coach Yrs Record RatingAkron J.D. Brookhart 5 22-26 2Ball State Brady Hoke 6 22-37 0.5Bowling Green Gregg Brandon 6 38-24 2.5Buffalo Turner Gill 3 7-17 1Central Michigan Butch Jones 2 8-6 0.5Eastern Michigan Jeff Genyk 5 13-33 3Can't State Doug Martin 5 15-31 3Miami (Ohio) Shane Montgomery 4 15-21 1.5Northern Illinois Jerry Kill 1 0-0 0.5Ohio Frank Solich 4 19-18 2.5Temple Al Golden 3 5-19 1.5Toledo Tom Amstutz 8 55-32 3Western Michigan Bill Cubit 4 20-16 2

If JD has a bad season, he's out. I think 6-6 will keep him here, but anything less and he's probably gone. As I said before, I think initially JD wanted to get into Akron and Get out. Did a patch job that looked pretty good early on, but then it fell apart as the integrity of the players wasn't up to par. I think he sticks it out and I think the Stadium helps him a bit, as we don't want an entirely new scheme when we open against Indiana in a brand new stadium.

the only problem with 6-6 is that you would most likey have to go 5-3 mac. i just cant see us going 2-2 in occ play. it may happen, but we would have to beat either cuse(road)/cincci (home). i think we have a better chance in the mac.they can talk up cmu all they want. the fact is the got beat by a 1-aa team,and gave up 70 points later in occ.there is not a mac team that is that much better than the rest.

the only problem with 6-6 is that you would most likey have to go 5-3 mac. i just cant see us going 2-2 in occ play. it may happen, but we would have to beat either cuse(road)/cincci (home). i think we have a better chance in the mac.they can talk up cmu all they want. the fact is the got beat by a 1-aa team,and gave up 70 points later in occ.there is not a mac team that is that much better than the rest.
Great post.UofA can beat SU as they are one of the worst teams in college football. Cincy is another issue. I'm going to be interested to see how they do without Mauk next year. I don't think the NCAA cleared him for another year. If they did clear him, we can't win.... If they did not, it depends on the next QB.The problem with the MAC is most team range from "bad" to "really bad" compared to the rest of college football. The good news is most teams are just bad. Akron falls into the bad category at this point meaning 5-3 is possible. 4-4 is also possible. 3-5 is also possible.If Mr. Gump was alive today, he would say in him dimwitted voice, "The MAC is like a box of crap, hard or squishy, it all just smells really bad."

Well looking at the schedule that could be a tall order of going 6-6 August 30 at No. 0 Wisconsin - picked to compete for Big 10 title so I'll say LSeptember 6 at Syracuse - very winnable game, this is a must win to be 6-6 or 7-5 WSeptember 13 Ball State - Nate Davis is back and he is a solid QB, LSeptember 20 at Army - This is be a repeat of last year W September 27 Cincinnati - The QB Mauk is NOT back, but still a tuff one LOctober 4 at Can't State - We always play bad there L October 11 Bowling Green - Repeat of last year only closer LOctober 18 at Eastern Michigan - This has got to be a win - W November 5 Toledo - based on their schedule they'll be beat up by the time they play us, plus we have 2 weeks to prepare W November 13 Buffalo - Are they still a cream puff? WNovember 22 at Ohio - Definitely going down - W November 28 at Temple - We should have beat them last year - WMy prediction is 7-5 JD stays, Lose to SU and he is 6-6 and he still probably stays, Normally we win one we shouldn't and lose one we shouldn't (see last years Western Mich and Miami OH) So this year I think it will be an Ugly win at SU and a ugly loss to Can't (hope i am wrong about that.) Wonderful season 9-3Personal expected season 7-5Anything less than 6-6 off with his head

I am actually pretty surprised that JD is not a 2.5 or 3.0 on this list, given the stakes (new stadium, etc.). Either I got up on the wrong side of the bed OR I've been a Zip fan for too long, BUT when I look at this schedule I see that the two weakest foes could very well be Army and EMU. Having said that, I have rarely been confident enough to predict a Zip road victory. Therefore, I truly do not see a single "gimme" on the entire schedule. I DO have high hopes for this defense, though, IF they can stay healthy throught the early part of the year. The first seven games are very tough and I only see three wins coming out of it. If we split the rest, UA winds up 5-7 and I think that puts JD in some hot water. A 7-5 season would be a very good accomplishment in my mind and 6-6 is enough to assure he is here to open the Info in 2009.