Roster Changes 2014

The Porter influence is kicking in with 2 players from the Timbers academy. I don't see any players from the Crew academy. I would like to see more Akron players playing in Columbus. I hope the Crew are not encouraging players to avoid Akron because of the Timbers connection.

The Porter influence is kicking in with 2 players from the Timbers academy. I don't see any players from the Crew academy. I would like to see more Akron players playing in Columbus. I hope the Crew are not encouraging players to avoid Akron because of the Timbers connection.

I would be interested to hear how we found the kid from New Zealand. Gavin Wilkinson (Timbers GM) and current Timbers assistant coach and former Zip Cameron Knowles are both from New Zealand and have played for the All Whites. I'm just wondering if that connection had anything to do with this, or if the two aren't connected. Either way, I am glad to see that even though Porter has left, his influence continues to be felt. I don't see any way it isn't a positive for all parties involved.

• 3 months later...

Bumping this up. Louis Cross tweeted yesterday that he is going to Syracuse. Brett Gravatt is also leaving, but I'm not sure where he is going. I'll be interested to see where others go. I wouldn't be surprised to see Pina leave as well.

Why are so many guys leaving? Better players coming in?

• Like 1

Bumping this up. Louis Cross tweeted yesterday that he is going to Syracuse. Brett Gravatt is also leaving, but I'm not sure where he is going. I'll be interested to see where others go. I wouldn't be surprised to see Pina leave as well.

All three of these players are gone. More will announce soon.

Rumor is that Elliott Rubio will press Jake Fenlason to start. Who can blame Fernando Pina for moving on?

Nothing wrong with that; it happens every year, especially within elite programs. There is not enough scholarship money for a thirty player roster, not to mention NCAA parameters.

All three of these players are gone. More will announce soon.

Rumor is that Elliott Rubio will press Jake Fenlason to start. Who can blame Fernando Pina for moving on?

Nothing wrong with that; it happens every year, especially within elite programs. There is not enough scholarship money for a thirty player roster, not to mention NCAA parameters.

Yeah, and the rule allowing players to transfer once and play immediately almost encourages them to do it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just got back from the Crew's USOC match at Akron where, before the match, I met a man from New Zealand who told me that his son, Stuart Holthusen, a striker, has committed to the Zips and was moving in for the summer sessions. He mentioned Stuart is/will be on the New Zealand U20 team, but I know nothing else.

It's too late this evening for me to google/search "Stuart Holthusen New Zealand" tonight, but have at it at your leisure ZipsNation.

• Like 1

Just got back from the Crew's USOC match at Akron where, before the match, I met a man from New Zealand who told me that his son, Stuart Holthusen, a striker, has committed to the Zips and was moving in for the summer sessions. He mentioned Stuart is/will be on the New Zealand U20 team, but I know nothing else.

It's too late this evening for me to google/search "Stuart Holthusen New Zealand" tonight, but have at it at your leisure ZipsNation.

First thing that came up: http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/stuart-holthusen/profil/spieler/264911

He's commands a decent international market value. I'd be amazed if he played for more than one season before turning pro.

• Like 1

Interesting when I googled "Stuart Holthusen New Zealand" and clicked on the images link, Jared Embick's picture shows up in rows 12 & 14. I wonder how the software makes that connection. Is there an article out there somewhere?

Interesting when I googled "Stuart Holthusen New Zealand" and clicked on the images link, Jared Embick's picture shows up in rows 12 & 14. I wonder how the software makes that connection. Is there an article out there somewhere?

he is already listed on the zips roster

http://www.gozips.com/sports/msoc/2014-15/bios/holthusen_stuart_lws4

• 4 weeks later...

I thought that Riley had a lot of potential but Jared seems to have added a lot of very talented forwards. Has Fernando Pina announced where he will be transferring?

I've been told that Fernando will be attending Coastal Carolina in the fall provided he passes a couple of summer classes in order to be eligible.

Yes -- Holthusen was there from the start: http://www.gozips.com/sports/msoc/2013-14/releases/20140210mj1dne

I take these transfers as mostly positive news. These guys were thought of as contributors, so if they don't see themselves making the starting lineup, that says a lot for what Jared has coming in. Looking forward to the 2014 season -- when do season tix (and scarves!) go on sale?

Yes -- Holthusen was there from the start: http://www.gozips.com/sports/msoc/2013-14/releases/20140210mj1dne

I take these transfers as mostly positive news. These guys were thought of as contributors, so if they don't see themselves making the starting lineup, that says a lot for what Jared has coming in. Looking forward to the 2014 season -- when do season tix (and scarves!) go on sale?

Dude, deadline for season tix (scarves) was June 2nd.

Keep up!

Dude, deadline for season tix (scarves) was June 2nd.

Keep up!

Looking forward to the 2014 season -- when do season tix (and scarves!) go on sale?

I believe the deadline to Renew season tix was June 2nd. I think you can still order them and get a scarf.

• 4 weeks later...

Was down there last week day of Lebron Fest with a friend and watched an early afternoon session for about an hour. Seemed spirited and well organized by captains. Holthusen, De Vera, Cregan, Rubio all looked good. I last saw the Dayton Spring game and there are some good young players out there that were pretty crisp on the ball and quick to defend on transition that should help the cause. There was a mid I could not place that looked like a good add, only returners in numbered gear so not sure. Holthusen could bring well needed threat up top.

The returners Souders Saad Najem looked solid as one might expect. Seremba showed his quickness but had playing brace on still, maybe just being cautious. I didn't see the whole session and it was just Captain's practice so I would not put too much stock in what we saw.

I was at several season games last year and plus Dayton, and being relatively new to NE Ohio and fortunate to be close enough to see them play I have to ask if this is the youngest side they have put forth, and if so is it just the last ripple effect of Porter moving on or do the Zips lose so many from top to MLS and bottom to other schools where they can get real minutes that this is the norm here?

16 (12 Fr and 4 RS-Fr) of 26 with no college minutes, albeit with nice resumes. The makeup is a team itself just with the Freshmen. GK, 4 D, 4 MF, 3 F. Granted many trained/played MLS reserves, PDL, MNT, overseas etc so they are not green per se, but can anyone find a younger team in the top 25?

I'm not too concerned with the number of freshmen on this team. If I remember 2009 correctly, Zarek Valentin, Chad Barson, and David Meves were freshmen starters. Then in a number of games including the scoreless final with Virginia, we saw Scott Caldwell, Ben Speas, and Yorum Mwila (RIP).

• Like 1

Those who stayed are quality and the new crop seem talented. Fr heavy would suggest any decent NCAA showing this year should portend several rich years to come, so while young if the right mix it's great foundation building and very positive. Ran the numbers out of curiosity ex Akron. Wake at #11 has 12 too. Average is around 8. These are just numbers anyway, so for what it is worth.

Freshmen on 2014 Rosters Notre Dame 6 Maryland 5 Virginia 9 UCLA 7 New Mexico 9 Washington 7 Cal 8 Uconn 9 Gtown 6 Mich State 6 Wake Forest 12 Marquette 4 Louisville 8 Penn State 4 UC Irvine 6 Coastal Carolina 6 UCSB 9 Stanford 11 Wisconsin 12 N Carolina 8 Charlotte 10 Cal St Northridge 6 Navy 10 ODU 8 Average 7.8 StDev 2.3