Crew considering move to Austin, TX

I'll call this Zips related since former Zips Mens Soccer MF Will Trapp plays for the Columbus Crew and is the current team captain.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2017/10/columbus_crew_sc_mls_team_migh.html#incart_river_mobile_index

This would make sense if Cincinnati were to get a team. Also opens up Detroit. Neither market would then be pulling from Columbus. However, I would hate to see Columbus lose one of MLS' founding teams and for MLS access to be further from us. ALthough not super convenient, it is nice to have MLS access just a 1.5 hour drive away immediately off I-71.

Edited by Zip_ME87

My main concern with Cincinnati and others is the league is growing too big too fast.  In my opinion.  I mean it's been exponential growth almost.  And when the novelty wears off in some of these towns, will we then see clubs closing up, r am I just a negative Nellie?  As for Columbus, I went to two Saturday evening games this past season and had a blast at both, as usual.  I even said to  my fiend that I went with that the stadium, once the glamour site of MLS soccer as the first soccer-specific stadium looked quaint by today's standards, but what a great site to watch soccer.  I also mentioned that Columbus would probably start to ask for taxpayer money to "modernize and enlarge" MAPFRE.  Now this?

I wish I had only an hour and a half drive, like ME87, but mine is like 2 and a half hours, and so we end up spending the night and enjoying the whole experience, but if it was only an hour away I'm sure I would be a season ticket holder.

http://www.dispatch.com/sports/20171017/crew-sc-owner-without-downtown-stadium-team-is-moving

very good article from Columbus paper...

has a link to a letter that Precourt sent to fans

Andrew Erickson is the soccer writer for the dispatch...below is a link to his twitter account

https://twitter.com/AEricksonCD

1 hour ago, ZipsVoice said:

I wish I had only an hour and a half drive, like ME87, but mine is like 2 and a half hours, and so we end up spending the night and enjoying the whole experience, but if it was only an hour away I'm sure I would be a season ticket holder.

I enjoy going when I do, but it’s too far to be a season ticket holder. That’s 3 hours round trip. I don’t stay overnight but it ends up being a long trip as I’m fortunate to join the Trapp’s at their tailgate before and after the matches I attend. I always end up heading home about 1 hour after the match is over. I will hate if/when this ends. 

The owner somehow thinks Austin is a great pro sports market. 

I'd hate to see the Crew move. It sucks to have team owners constantly begging for public money, but I have no doubts that getting a new stadium would increase attendance for Columbus. Right now it's just such a pain getting in and out of the Fairgrounds. Plus there's nothing around there. 

I agree there is nothing around Crew Stadium.  I think FC Cincy benefits from all of the restaurants and bars nearby and the Crew probably would too. However, I don’t see entry/exit improving in a downtown locale. Current location is very convenient to I71. It also affords significant space for parking and tailgating.

5 hours ago, Zip_ME87 said:

I agree there is nothing around Crew Stadium.  I think FC Cincy benefits from all of the restaurants and bars nearby and the Crew probably would too. However, I don’t see entry/exit improving in a downtown locale. Current location is very convenient to I71. It also affords significant space for parking and tailgating.

Agree the amount of tailgate space is great, but with only one way in or out, it's a total catastrophe. Plus everyone has to pay 15.00 parking. 

A better located stadium would have several options for travel. Right now it's car-or-nothing. If Crew stadium were downtown the games wouldn't be during business hours, so traffic wouldn't be an issue.