Eric McLaughlin's son

When Eric's number was hoisted into the rafters last year he mentioned his son was going to play for the Chippewas. I assumed it was basketball, but he will be a cornerback for the Chip's football team:E.J. McLaughlin • Defensive Back • 6-0 • 185 • East Grand Rapids, Mich. • East Grand Rapids High School At East Grand Rapids: Earned varsity letters in football and basketball ... scored touchdowns four different ways as a senior ... defensively, recorded 51 stops and intercepted two passes from his safety position ... rushed for 313 yards, averaging 6.8 yards per carry, and scored six touchdowns in 2005 ... also caught a touchdown pass, returned a punt 57 yards for a score and ran a kickoff back 90 yards for a touchdown ... helped lead team to a 10-1 record in 2005 ... all-state honorable mention selection ... garnered all-conference accolades ... ranked as the No. 19 prospect in Michigan by the Detroit Free Press ... No. 42 on the Detroit News Blue Chip List. Personal: Selected CMU over Western Michigan and Toledo ... prep coach was Peter Stuursma ... son of Eric McLaughlin ... born 2/20/88.

• Like 1

• 12 years later...

He has another son (step) that plays football, but unfortunately has not been able to link up with the football staff @akron. He is currently at New Mexico Military Institute and will start there next season playing safety. He too earned Arizona AIA, Class 5A All-Conference honors as a defensive back during senior season...recorded 33 tackles with three passes defended, one interception for 84 yards and one fumble recovery while helping team to 10-3 and Class 5A semifinal playoffs...also a state track qualifier as a junior in the 4x100 meter relay. After this year he would love the opportunity to play at Akron.

http://www.hudl.com/v/2BFhtL

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Candace Mclaughlin said:

He has another son (step) that plays football, but unfortunately has not been able to link up with the football staff @akron. He is currently at New Mexico Military Institute and will start there next season playing safety. He too earned Arizona AIA, Class 5A All-Conference honors as a defensive back during senior season...recorded 33 tackles with three passes defended, one interception for 84 yards and one fumble recovery while helping team to 10-3 and Class 5A semifinal playoffs...also a state track qualifier as a junior in the 4x100 meter relay. After this year he would love the opportunity to play at Akron.

http://www.hudl.com/v/2BFhtL

If he's the same guy who was on the Wayne State roster in 2017 I have an idea why he has been unable to link up with the Akron football staff.

On 10/26/2006 at 1:07 PM, johnnyzip84 said:

Excellent scoop! Eric was definitely one of my favorites from the Huggins era, although I feel much older now thanks to this :P I kind of lost track, but didn't he get into coaching for a while?

I remember that tournament game against OSU where he was getting beat up and eventually got hurt. Still makes me mad.

• Like 2