Band was awesome!

Blue & Gold

For any band members who are part of the 'Nation, I just wanted to say that you guys were AWESOME today!!! You guys gave me goosebumps 3 times during the pregame show!!! I took my brother to his first Zips game today and he had a great time, wants to go back for the Temple game, and after the pregame show said, "Man, that was awesome!" What an excellent way to get the afternoon off on the right foot! That set the mood for the rest of the afternoon! I especially liked the way you guys came onto the field - drum cadence and marching formation - both very cool! You guys made me proud to be a Zip! EXCELLENT SHOW!

For any band members who are part of the 'Nation, I just wanted to say that you guys were AWESOME today!!! You guys gave me goosebumps 3 times during the pregame show!!! I took my brother to his first Zips game today and he had a great time, wants to go back for the Temple game, and after the pregame show said, "Man, that was awesome!" What an excellent way to get the afternoon off on the right foot! That set the mood for the rest of the afternoon! I especially liked the way you guys came onto the field - drum cadence and marching formation - both very cool! You guys made me proud to be a Zip! EXCELLENT SHOW!
On a related note, how pathetic was Can't's band. Ours was practically double theirs and performed much better, Once again, the zips show up the flushes. :screwks:

On a related note, how pathetic was Can't's band. Ours was practically double theirs and performed much better, Once again, the zips show up the flushes.
NO kidding! I was thinking the same thing as I stood at the top of the Rubber Bowl and watched both bands. Cant's band is truly pathetic, especially for a school that supposedly boasts enrollment of 35000+. I too was very proud of Ohio's Pride and the way they marched onto the field was totally cool. Thank you U of A marching band for helping to make my game-day experience complete! :thumb:

I missed pregame - traffic was bad trying to get in... guess we should have left a bit earlier. Sat about ten rows above the band so we got a good view of what went on. They were pretty good during most of the game.Now how about some constructive criticism: the new director seemed to miss the time-out opportunities (or the Can't band was playing and I couldn't hear them) and seemed to be a long delay between when time was called and when something began to be called to play. Also, I know you can't do much when it's band day, but the opening number done without the other bands had NO energy/excitement. Sure you may have done a perfect 6/5, hit all of your notes, turns, etc., but how much energy did that give to the fans watching? I was bored stiff! Corps bands have a place, but I still don't think they are the right thing for a halftime show. Gimme Central State, OSU, CFHS, Massillon, Berea, Manchester, etc... much more energy and fun! The plus side was the flag unfurling... added some energy to the closing. I was reminded of the old Shriners games when the drunken old guys would come out to unfurl the flag...upside down once actually!I also noticed the Sousaphones could use refinishing. Wonder if that could be done by the '09 season?

Thank you everyone for your praises about the bands performance! i do believe that this is the first time in the 5 years i have been in the band that we got that loud of a resonse for the product we put on the field. When Akron played OSU, i went to the game and i was amazed by the reponse of the crowd when their band came out to do their pregame. The whole stadium was standing and clapping and signing the fight song along with the band. The fans there stood the entire pregame, when carmen ohio was being played every person in that stadium was singing the words while the band played. I thought that was the coolest thing i had ever seen in my life and wished that our fans would do the same thing for us. Well you guys did do it and i am very grateful and would like to thank everyone for making the first game of my final year one to remember. Keep it up throughout the rest of the year! Thank you again!Lets Go Zips!

Thank you everyone for your praises about the bands performance! i do believe that this is the first time in the 5 years i have been in the band that we got that loud of a resonse for the product we put on the field. When Akron played OSU, i went to the game and i was amazed by the reponse of the crowd when their band came out to do their pregame. The whole stadium was standing and clapping and signing the fight song along with the band. The fans there stood the entire pregame, when carmen ohio was being played every person in that stadium was singing the words while the band played. I thought that was the coolest thing i had ever seen in my life and wished that our fans would do the same thing for us. Well you guys did do it and i am very grateful and would like to thank everyone for making the first game of my final year one to remember. Keep it up throughout the rest of the year! Thank you again!Lets Go Zips!
Suggestion:How about this:If the team keeps coming over to the band after the game, we play the Alma Mater instead of Blue and Gold?...like Navy and OSU.Not that I'm trying to copy them, but I think it would be a nice show of respect to the school and it would start a new tradition.The euphoria of winning the wheel comes over to the band....everyone quiets down and stands, then immediately after, all he!! breaks lose...how cool is that?I think when they play each schools alma maters after the Army Navy game is one of the coolest things in college football.

I love that idea!  I will talk to the director and see if he can't JD and the team to do that instead because like you said that would be pretty sweet.  Good Call!
Great...thanks.By the way, I know it would be tough to do after a loss, but I think going over to the band and playing the alma mater even after a loss would show a lot of class.I know we can't do this, but I thought it was super cool the way the Zips went over to the Army band for their song, and then Army coming over for our's.I just wish we had played the alma mater instead.Thanks again.

Yeah i would say so.  The band actually just started working on our next show which as a latin show with songs from Maynard Ferguson and Chuck Mangonie (or however you spell it).  The songs we recieved are Maria from west side story (flugelhorn soloist), Children of sanchez, Conquistdora, and another still to come.
Sounds very cool...do you know when you will debut this new show?

I love that idea!  I will talk to the director and see if he can't JD and the team to do that instead because like you said that would be pretty sweet.  Good Call!
Great...thanks.By the way, I know it would be tough to do after a loss, but I think going over to the band and playing the alma mater even after a loss would show a lot of class.I know we can't do this, but I thought it was super cool the way the Zips went over to the Army band for their song, and then Army coming over for our's.I just wish we had played the alma mater instead.Thanks again.
we wanted to play the alma mater in cleveland for the football team, and the director said no because of the promotional annoucements.

Playing some MF(I was bummed when he died a while back), and CM would be great.I would love to hear the band play Children of Sanchez. The trumpets better be able to do the double and triple tounging.Please don't let Scott Johnston help with this. He will try to make them play these songs orchestral style. If they play any MF, there is no wimping out on the high parts either.(LOL)That is some good music. Some of that Latin music is great. I am sure it is more fun for the band too.

Please MORE use of the drums. No offense to Neil Diamond, but it's the drums and upbeat rythm that gets everybody going!!!!!
Please TAKE OFFENSE to Neil Diamond, Barry Mannilow, showtunes, anything from the 1970's and 80's that was a Top 40 hit w/o extensive drums and please, please take offense when our school gets outshone by another, be it during the game or the halftime show.BUT...this past Sat the band sounded AWESOME! Keep it up guys! :thumb::rock::D:cheers: