Get Glen Mason..

xu9697

This guy has plenty of good coaching left. That Minnesota team this year= his recruits. He did a very solid job there for many years, and with their new stadium he would have done even better. Ohio guy, OSU guy (which could be a positive), knows the area for recruiting, etc.This is the kind of splash this program needs. You only get one chance like this. If JD doesn't get this team to 7-5...Mason. And, even if he does, I would SERIOUSLY consider Mason.

This guy has plenty of good coaching left. That Minnesota team this year= his recruits. He did a very solid job there for many years, and with their new stadium he would have done even better. Ohio guy, OSU guy (which could be a positive), knows the area for recruiting, etc.This is the kind of splash this program needs. You only get one chance like this. If JD doesn't get this team to 7-5...Mason. And, even if he does, I would SERIOUSLY consider Mason.
I have no problem with Mason, but UA couldn't afford him. He will eventually get another coaching job at a BCS school.

Ok...JD is in no danger of losing his job at the end of this season unless there is a complete collapse from here on out. He's a couple of points away from having a 5-2 football team this year, in a year where we were expected to do nothing. Plus, he's in the middle of a long-term contract, which is another factor that plays a huge role at schools like Akron where money is not abundant to buy out contracts. As for Mason, we could never afford him. Enought said.Zipseuph...the coach out at Mount Union has gotten mentioned from time to time over the years. I'm not sure if it's a situation where he does not desire a bigger job, or the fact that he has never gotten an offer. But, I can't recall ever hearing about a situation where a D-1 team has tried to lure him away from there.

OU afforded Solich.Get Lebron involved. Lebron...unis for OSU b-ball. Mason...OSU alum. Lebron...loves Akron. SMU's boosters paid for June Jones.Just trying to think outside the box.Also, I know it was a different era, but we brought in Gerry Faust at one point. Yeah, it didn't work out great, but you never know.

Skip-Zip: I agree with what you are saying, but take exception with one thing. We weren't expecting much from this team this season. As long as we have that train of thought, we will never make it to the next level. We should be expecting the very best each every week. We should not be going home after a Cincy loss saying"We cam close, we only lost by 2 points."A win is a win and a loss is still a loss no matter how you slice it.I do agree that barring a total collapse JD will return next season. The univ. cannot afford to buy out his contract.

akronad...I'm not saying that we should be overjoyed by doing better than expected this year. I am only saying that if you're doing better than expected, that likely does not put a coach on the hot seat at a MAC level school. xu...bringing up the Faust situation is a valid point. I know from being around here at that time that Faust had a lot of intangibles such as his connections around the country, and it benefitted our initial growth tremendously. And it helped that Gerry wanted to come back to Ohio to be closer to his family. But remember, Gerry was still an inexperienced coach at the college level at the time (5 years total...assistant or head coach), and he was not a proven winner. He only cost us a little over $100,000 a year. I think the people who are begging for a coaching change for us want a guy who we know can come in here and elevate this program right now. And those people come at a STEEP price.

Absolutely not. Glen Mason is not the answer. I know all of you tosu fans on the board get all excited because you want an ex-tosu player/coach to come to UA, but this old retread is one of the last guys I want UA to hire if it comes to that. Sorry, but you would be mistaken if you all think that getting Mason would be another great recruiting tool because of where he played/coached. He wouldn’t be able to convince the D1 recruits that typically leave the state to come to UA any better than I would. (not to mention that he is also a former Can't State coach) Boy, in ten years at the U. of Minn. he was a whopping 32-48 in the medium ten and not once did he really contend for a conference title. Just the type of guy I want. Heck, a coach like Glen brings back memories of another former tosu assistant that won 40 games in nine years….But hey, he was a tosu assistant before we hired him!!!If we make a change at the end of the year, there are plenty of coordinators to select from. Mason will not be one of them.

Absolutely not. Glen Mason is not the answer. I know all of you tosu fans on the board get all excited because you want an ex-tosu player/coach to come to UA, but this old retread is one of the last guys I want UA to hire if it comes to that. Sorry, but you would be mistaken if you all think that getting Mason would be another great recruiting tool because of where he played/coached. He wouldn’t be able to convince the D1 recruits that typically leave the state to come to UA any better than I would. (not to mention that he is also a former Can't State coach) Boy, in ten years at the U. of Minn. he was a whopping 32-48 in the medium ten and not once did he really contend for a conference title. Just the type of guy I want. Heck, a coach like Glen brings back memories of another former tosu assistant that won 40 games in nine years….But hey, he was a tosu assistant before we hired him!!!If we make a change at the end of the year, there are plenty of coordinators to select from. Mason will not be one of them.
Thanks for saving me the time. Mason is a joke and anyone who would advocate the hiring of this loser suffers from NE Ohio Sports Fan Syndrome (neosfs).

IMO, there is no doubt we need a new coach next year. Those who read this board know why I feel that way. With Info, we have a new start, so we need a coach with tons of enthusiasm to start us off. We can't afford to start in a new stadium with the same, old "close, but no cigar" team.I say we look down a division or two. There are some great coaches out there. I think of Mike Kelly, who recently retired at Dayton, as the type of coach we need to look for. I'm sure there are plenty of hungry young coaches who would love the chance to move up.

We don't need a new head coach. JD has accomplished more in his career here than any coach since John Heisman.What we need is a change in the playcalling philosophy. Our coordinators currently call the plays, not JD, ad you can see that they sometimes get it perfect and other times look like they are calling plays designed for the wrong type of talent than what is on the field (don't do trick plays when you have power running package, don't run sideways when none of the receivers are blocking, etc.).It's too late in the season to change our schemes now. What can be done, however, is sticking to what works. Don't do ultra-conservative with a few dumb trick plays the moment we have a lead in order to "protect" it (read: blow the game). Just keep doing what got you the lead in the first place. So what if we blow someone out? This is the highest level of college football, you don't need to keep a score close just to "respect" the other team.We do make in-game adjustments, but they tend to move away from what worked and towards untested-against-the-current-opponent schemes. It rarely works out.

Like some other people mentioned, JD has gotten this team to win the MAC Championship in his second season and a bowl game appearance. We've beaten teams from BCS conferences. I honestly don't care if those teams are the bottom feeders in their conference. Those wins are huge. Also consider that the majority of media outlets had us finishing around last and not beating teams like Syracuse and Can't. I believe those same people had Can't finishing around the top. They are in a worser situation than we are. How many times have we won the Wagon Wheel? Also look at what happened to Clemson. Bowden stepped down and it sounds like he lost the team. I think we're in a better situation than they are.If it does come down to firing JD, I'd say bring in someone from a BCS caliber school. Getting someone from the PAC-10, Big-12 or SEC would be huge. Even the high mid-majors like a Boise State.

We don't need a new head coach. JD has accomplished more in his career here than any coach since John Heisman.What we need is a change in the playcalling philosophy. Our coordinators currently call the plays, not JD, ad you can see that they sometimes get it perfect and other times look like they are calling plays designed for the wrong type of talent than what is on the field (don't do trick plays when you have power running package, don't run sideways when none of the receivers are blocking, etc.).It's too late in the season to change our schemes now. What can be done, however, is sticking to what works. Don't do ultra-conservative with a few dumb trick plays the moment we have a lead in order to "protect" it (read: blow the game). Just keep doing what got you the lead in the first place. So what if we blow someone out? This is the highest level of college football, you don't need to keep a score close just to "respect" the other team.We do make in-game adjustments, but they tend to move away from what worked and towards untested-against-the-current-opponent schemes. It rarely works out.
All of what you are saying goes back to coaching. Who is the head coach? He works with the OC on the game plan every week and has to approve what will be called. He is the head man, so ultimately the blame (and credit) go to him.

We don't need a new head coach. JD has accomplished more in his career here than any coach since John Heisman.
I like Class of 82's suggestion .... "Get Jim Dennison" Not that he would ever return, but for my money Dennison accomplished a whole lot more that JD. And don't tell me that he never accomplished anything at the D-1 level. He was never given the chance. Whether or not we need a new head coach JD is no better or worse than a number of coaches in Akron's history ... Blair, McMullen, Larson, etc.

Get Jim Dennison.Just kiddin... at least sorta. He's pretty well done now. But he's a better coach than any that have come since he was here, IMO.
If the NCAA rules committee ever decides to make the forward pass illegal, then Dennison just might be the guy! ;) Seriously, Jim was a fine coach during his tenure, but he comes from the mold of the old Big 10's "3 yards and a cloud of dust" philosophy. That simply won't cut it in ANY FBS conference these days.

This could be one of the most useless threads in the history of the internet. Total loser candidates all. Mason is over the hill and just got fired because he was an asshole. He also recruited the lowest common denominator type kid at Minnesota - remember Marcus Sanders? DUH. Keheres aint leaving Mt Union because he is the AD and runs the whole show where football is king. He shares none of the budget or spotlight. Mack was a part of bringing in Mike Price at UTEP so look for a retread type, not an up and comer. Price never got fired for losing like Mason, he got fired for hooking up with strippers.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This was still my guy.

IN this never ending search for a guy to bring 10+ wins to UA and put us on the map, we miss on the guy that would AT LEAST get us 6-8 wins a year and puts us a bit on the map.

He has coached at 3 places that have struggled mightily WITHOUT him...

Best coaching record at Minnesota since the mid 40's and above .500 in his career there (and Brewster is only driving them into the ground WITH a nice new stadium. You can say it is "Mason's recruits", but I'm not buying it. Brewster can't coach.)

Winningest coach at Can't since 1974 (Don James= legend) and only one with above .500

Besides Mangino, winningest coach at Kansas since 1970.

And, sorry...at NONE of those 3 places did he have a great program or facilities to sell (except maybe at the END of his time at Minnesota). At least here he would have facilities to sell.

If you think he was not an option b/c of finances...fine. Sad if true, but fine.

We keep trying to hit this home run with a coach, when, for now, a double will do.

• 1 year later...

I advocated this a few years ago. NOW, to be honest, I was not advocating him at all this year. But, based on where we are now (if we have in fact struck out on Tressel, PW, Loeffler, Narduzzi, etc.)...

The key with him is he would need to surround himself with 1-2 guys he knows well..then the rest need to be young, aggressive up and comers.

I know many are not a fan, but this guy has gone to 3 crappy football programs and made them at least average-good. Besides a short run under the big guy at Kansas (Mangino), none of the 3 schools have done any better since he left..and, in most cases, considerably worse.

Wow..and I realize I just wrote the same thing (basically) I did 1 year and 3 months ago.