NCAA Tourney

So many thoughts:1) I loathe the fact that in our first game we are guaranteed to play a team we've already beaten this year (albeit both of them on the road and now we have the home game).2) I really wouldn't want to play Louisville.3) This is by far the most difficult regional bracket with OSU, Northwestern, MSU, ND, Louisville, UNC, and Dayton.4) I'd love to see UNC defeat MSU giving us a home game against UNC in the quarterfinals during the first week of December. Don't think those Tar Heels would play well in cold weather.5) We are 4-0-1 against teams in the Tournament (wins against Oakland, OSU, Michigan, and ND; tied IU)6) Earning the 5 seed isn't really an injustice. The injustice is that MSU was awarded the 4 spot ahead of us.7) IMO, Creighton was equally worthy of the 4 seed and they really got screwed.8) Loyola (Md.) should have been a top 8 seed.9) All in all, not a bad bracket especially if we win because there will potentially be three home games against very big name schools/programs. 10) Let's hope the team has a better performance than last year's 1-0 loss at home to USF.11) Go Zips! :champs: and this is a better time and place than ever to remind everyone that :screwks:

how does the #14 RPI, #16 nscaa/adidas ranked, #13 college soccer news ranked, Michigan State get the #4 seed above us? WTF?!
Premier conference in all things sports. :zzz::unsure:
"Right now, the Big Ten is the joke of college football and OSU is the punchline." - Kirk Herbstreit during OSWho's piss poor performance against USC.If we play them again in real futbol, let's make sure OSWho is also the punchline of Big Ten soccer being a joke. I'm thinking a 5-0 beat down similar to what WVU experienced in 2005 at the hand of the Zips.

I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised with the #5 seed. I had very little faith in the selection committee. I believe that we are a superior team (and had a superior body of work over the course of the season) to Michigan St., but a weak four seed means that if they lose (and I'm predicting that UI-C will beat them in the first round) we get their home game when UI-C, UNC, or LOUISVILLE!!! comes calling for a trip to the Final Four. Unfortunately it would almost assuredly set up a meeting with Wake Forest.Hopefully we get good weather and a HUGE crowd next Tuesday.Edit: Oh, and go Buckeyes... the pleasure of beating them on their own field on senior night AND sending them home for the season would be fantastic. This time we won't give up three goals either.

I like our bracket! 2nd Round - home match against winner of Oakland/tosu next Tuesday, November 25th.Assuming we continue to win ...3rd Round - home match against Northwestern/Loyola winner/Notre Dame. Qtr Finals - home match IF Michigan State loses in 2nd or 3rd round; away match if Michigan State survives round 2 and 3 along with Akron.I hope Steve Z's ankle heals up in time for next Tuesday's match. Looking forward to it - GO ZIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations!

So many thoughts:7) IMO, Creighton was equally worthy of the 4 seed and they really got screwed.11) Go Zips! :champs: and this is a better time and place than ever to remind everyone that :screwks:
Creighton will likely be ranked #2 in the nation when the NSCAA poll comes out (tomorrow?). yes -- Akron got screwed, but Holy Crap, the Big11/East/ACCk chew) will never have to earn respect from hte selection committee. Which by the way, probably is dominated by members of those conferences. I didn't look at where teams like SMU, UCLA, UCSB, Cal-Berkeley are in the pecking order, but the only team to defeat the Zips this year, New Mexico was on the bubble, and missed out making the field, despite winning eight of their last ten games. I have to look again, but if we win the first two, where might we have to go to make the Cup/final-four? Is it @ Maryland? That might be a fine little grudge match. FEAR THE ROO!!! (I don't have to worry about Waddell stealing that motto again, since he already did it once.) :rolleyes:

So many thoughts:7) IMO, Creighton was equally worthy of the 4 seed and they really got screwed.11) Go Zips! :champs: and this is a better time and place than ever to remind everyone that :screwks:
Creighton will likely be ranked #2 in the nation when the NSCAA poll comes out (tomorrow?). yes -- Akron got screwed, but Holy Crap, the Big11/East/ACCk chew) will never have to earn respect from hte selection committee. Which by the way, probably is dominated by members of those conferences. I didn't look at where teams like SMU, UCLA, UCSB, Cal-Berkeley are in the pecking order, but the only team to defeat the Zips this year, New Mexico was on the bubble, and missed out making the field, despite winning eight of their last ten games. I have to look again, but if we win the first two, where might we have to go to make the Cup/final-four? Is it @ Maryland? That might be a fine little grudge match. FEAR THE ROO!!! (I don't have to worry about Waddell stealing that motto again, since he already did it once.) :rolleyes:
Missouri State was in its conference's final and had they won, would be in the field as well. Cleveland State was in its conference final. Along with UNM, these are teams on the bubble (if you will) and we were only 1-1-1 against them. Perhaps in the Committee's eyes, this is what warrants the #5 seed as opposed to the 4?...but MSU...come one!The Final Four is at Pizza Hut Park in Frisco, TX.

Feel a little bad for the basketball team that there won't be as many fans as we play Urbana at 7 that night. But on the other hand how many people do you think will choose the indoor basketball game over the outdoor soccer? I hope the JAR is empty and everyone comes to the tourney game to give us an even bigger edge.

Feel a little bad for the basketball team that there won't be as many fans as we play Urbana at 7 that night. But on the other hand how many people do you think will choose the indoor basketball game over the outdoor soccer? I hope the JAR is empty and everyone comes to the tourney game to give us an even bigger edge.
I'm certainly not about to be a "fair weather" fan for Zips athletics lol I will most certainly be there.

I hope there are enough fans to make an impact at both games.

At least it's Urbana and not a conference hoops game. While the 5th seed may be a little bit of a slap in the face, I don't think it will really hurt the Zips chances of going all the way. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only way the Zips would have to play on the road is if both UA and MSU win two straight, and like a few others here I don't see the latter occuring. And as far as possibly playing Wake in the semis, well hey if you want to win it all you're probably going to have to face them at some point. At least it'll be on a neutral field if it occurs.It's an exciting time of the year!

Id much rather go support a team who is in the playoffs and have a good chance of going all the way than going to a hoops regular season game against a non-conference opponent. Now, if I can do both, I will, but if I have to make the choice, I'll go watch soccer right now than basketball

I wonder if the JAR is open at halftime. :rolleyes: Well either way, good luck Zips.

Urbana??? :puke: See all of you guys at the soccer game next Tuesday (and I'm one of those who really struggles to appreciate outdoor soccer).Seriously, Mack needs to call the principal over at Urbana High School and reschedule the men's basketball game for either Monday or Wednesday next week!

Is Urbana even NCAA or are they still NAIA?
NAIA Division I (basketball) & NAIA Division II (football)I sure hope Mack and Co. are able to somehow rework next Tuesday so soccer and basketball don't go head-to-head. Mack told me last night that there is no way the soccer game changes date or time (current forecast: 35 degrees tops & 40% chance of rain/snow showers).

The first thing i thought when i saw that we were a 5 seed is, GOOD we are a quick finesse kind of team. We play real well in dry and fast conditions, when it's a blizzard or really rainy we tend to have our game slowed down and not play as physical as the other guys. This may be good to get to play away from the cold weather of Akron. But then i realized that we would most likely play at Michigan State with the first away game so it didnt really matter.

The first thing i thought when i saw that we were a 5 seed is, GOOD we are a quick finesse kind of team. We play real well in dry and fast conditions, when it's a blizzard or really rainy we tend to have our game slowed down and not play as physical as the other guys. This may be good to get to play away from the cold weather of Akron. But then i realized that we would most likely play at Michigan State with the first away game so it didnt really matter.
I'll be happy if we play away at MSU because that means we've made it to the quarter-finals and gotten past likely opponents OSU and ND (again). Also, one game away from the Final Four.