Competition for Tuzze

Holt to Akron

Woodbridge RB to be a Zip

CHRIS ERRINGTON

cerrington@potomacnews.com

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

A season ago, Derrick Holt helped Woodbridge win seven games and earn a spot in the state playoffs by being a load at full back and making life miserable for area defenses.

Now he plans to do the same to the Mid American Conference.

Holt announced Monday that he will attend Akron University in the fall as a preferred walk-on and that he could earn a starting spot in the Zips backfield as a freshman.

"At 6-foot, 238-pounds, Derrick is a good-size fullback at any level, including D-I," Woodbridge coach Keith King said. "He's a great kid with a great personality and I definitely think he can fit in right away at Akron. They want a big back that can run the ball for them and get those tough yards.

"That's just the type of back he is."

Akron finished 6-5 overall last season, a game behind Miami, Ohio in the MAC's Eastern Division. The Zips open the 2005 season on September 10 at Purdue.

Because Holt earned his qualifying scores for the ACT and SAT late, Akron had already filled its allotment of scholarships by the time it spoke with him during a recruiting visit last weekend. Still, with a pressing need to fill an opening in the backfield, Akron coaches asked Holt to walk-on with the knowledge that he'd be awarded the next available scholarship. King said that could come as early as April and definitely prior to Holt's sophomore year.

At Woodbridge, Holt, a second-team all-Cardinal District running back, rushed for 644 yards and seven touchdowns on 123 carries in the Vikings' run-heavy I-formation offense. He could be used more in a one-back set at Akron and can expect to see a lot more passes thrown his way out of the backfield.

"Derrick's going to run well between the tackles and do well on trap plays, but he's not nearly the elusive type," King said. "You just don't get that very often with a kid of his size."

Holt said he felt comfortable immediately after spending time with Akron's players and coaching staff, making the decision to move away from friends and family much easier.

"I'd originally wanted to stay close to home, but I've got to do what I've got to do," Holt said. "I really liked the coaches and the players when I was out there. I could really relate to them.

"I'm a bit nervous now, but I'm more just ready to get started."

Holt, who bench presses 365 pounds and squats 500, yet still runs a quick 4.5 40-yard dash, will remain in shape as a member of the Vikings' outdoor track team and continuing to work out in the gym. King said there are still some area's Holt must fine-tune before he makes the move to Akron.

"Derrick definitely needs to work on his hands because they're going to expect him to be able to catch the ball more than he's used to," the coach said. "He could be one of the strongest kids coming out of the area in a long time and he has the opportunity to get by on just sheer athletic ability if he has to, but he's going to work to get better now and the (Akron) coaches will work to make him a better football player when he gets there.

"I really think he's going to be fine."

Holt, who bench presses 365 pounds and squats 500, yet still runs a quick 4.5 40-yard dash, will remain in shape as a member of the Vikings' outdoor track team and continuing to work out in the gym. King said there are still some area's Holt must fine-tune before he makes the move to Akron.

Both quick and strong. I think he'll be a nice addition. I wonder why he didn't get any offers. Does he have academic issues?