UA in the news

Since UA was voted the 2010 Campus of the Year in Campus Activities Magazine a while back, CAM is hosting an event at EJ Thomas tonight for students.

As a special thank you to UA students for being voted Campus of the Year in 2010 by Campus Activities Magazine - CAM presents the interactive "comedy in action" performance of Jeff Civillico and the hilarious magic and comedy of Tim Gabrielson.

Good thing nobody knew about it until the actual day of the event. Thanks to the RHPB/ZPN "marketing" team. :rolleyes:

Since UA was voted the 2010 Campus of the Year in Campus Activities Magazine a while back, CAM is hosting an event at EJ Thomas tonight for students.

As a special thank you to UA students for being voted Campus of the Year in 2010 by Campus Activities Magazine - CAM presents the interactive "comedy in action" performance of Jeff Civillico and the hilarious magic and comedy of Tim Gabrielson.

Good thing nobody knew about it until the actual day of the event. Thanks to the RHPB/ZPN "marketing" team. :rolleyes:

...except if you read closely, you'll see that EJ Thomas created this event...

Only because nobody else did and EJ desperately needs people to show up to events. The programming boards were responsible for us winning that vote and getting us involved in the first place. This is their creation and they did nothing to promote it.

Only because nobody else did and EJ desperately needs people to show up to events. The programming boards were responsible for us winning that vote and getting us involved in the first place. This is their creation and they did nothing to promote it.

I don't agree (please don't hit me :-) ) I'm reading who promoted it, who's site it posts on (not one word on ZPN's), the fact that it's presented by Campus Activities Magazine, and the fact that it's at Ej Thomas makes me believe that it's an EJ event. ZPN has all of their major events posted through Mid-October on their FB site (but not the UA page, grrr) I just dont see them not posting a major event if they had ownership of it.

Akron secured $6 million for the Corrosion Engineering program.

I really do hope they get this off the ground. They can take the "rust" out of the "rust belt". Akron would the at the center of a renewal of the entire region.

Here is the Beacon's story on the corrosion grant.

Link

There truly is HUGE $$$ in corrosion control. Here at Hickam AFB, where I work and write prose, we have recently built a multi-hundreds-of-millions-of-dollars Corrosion Control Hangar for the recently arrived fleet of C-17 aircraft, and we probably spend tens of millions every year for maintenance to prevent corrosion on those birds. No surprise that the AF (USAFA) is interested in UA's expertise in the field. Think they can arrange for the Falcons to play a FB game vs the Zips?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
UA to begin offering degrees out of Stark State. It's just the one right now, but it opens the door to more in the future.

I could see the state folding Stark State into UA, and then us operating it as a joint branch campus with Can't State-Stark in an effort to save money.

I lose track of time, but I'd say about 8-10 years ago there was talk of closing Can't-Stark to save state money due to the fact that UA is only about 10-minutes up 77. I was really hoping they would, but, to no avail.

Can't-Stark cuts a good number of potential students off from UA. That campus is one of the big reasons I have such a disdain for Can't as a whole. I try to make fun of my friends who go there - reminding them that it's a little, high-school-like community college every chance I get. They should drive the extra 10-minutes, go to a real school & rock The U.

• 1 month later...
UA approves new dorm deal.
I wonder if this effects Lot Niners™

If you look, these dorms will be replacing the townhouses, Grant Residence Hall, and Galucci.

Original stadium plans had dorms going in Lot 9. I was told by nobody in particular that they ran out of money and were going to eventually put dorms in Lot 9. With these dorms getting approved, is there a need for Lot 9 dorms now?

UA approves new dorm deal.
I wonder if this effects Lot Niners™

If you look, these dorms will be replacing the townhouses, Grant Residence Hall, and Galucci.

Original stadium plans had dorms going in Lot 9. I was told by nobody in particular that they ran out of money and were going to eventually put dorms in Lot 9. With these dorms getting approved, is there a need for Lot 9 dorms now?

Is there still a need? Maybe. Maybe if we continue to be at 100% capacity. Remember these aren't creating that many new beds, since it requires demolition of other dorms.

If Lot 9 goes, they should clear Memorial field and turn it into a giant grass tailgate lot reminiscent of the Rubber Bowl.

Remember these aren't creating that many new beds, since it requires demolition of other dorms.
Per the article you linked.

Existing UA housing will be demolished to make way for the project. Curtis said the Grant Street town homes, a cluster of 28 buildings that can accommodate up to 150 students, are too outdated to satisfy today's students.

The University of Akron is moving ahead with a public-private partnership to build a residence hall for 520 students.

End result: 370 new. This should be enough to put off construction and let the Lot Niners™ continue for another 5+ years.

In the meantime, the university will not have to tie up any of its capital money in construction, and Signet will assume the risk. If enrollment or student interest in on-campus living falters, the company, not UA, would be on the hook.

You are correct in that the lot 9 dorms are in a holding pattern due to the lack of funding. However, the only reason these dorms are going through is because the University doesn't have to put forth any capital.

From the article:

"In the meantime, the university will not have to tie up any of its capital money in construction, and Signet will assume the risk. If enrollment or student interest in on-campus living falters, the company, not UA, would be on the hook."

**edit: Dr. Z beat me to this quote. Still, this should be emphasized

I do agree that the entire memorial field property should be razed and turned into an all-purpose field. Let the students who live around there use it as greenspace and then use it as tailgate central for football games