Zips-OU in game thread

MDZip

nicely looked pretty good, but that was ugly....is it basketball season yet?
Don't forget! Akron's football team is undefeated, untied, and ranked #1 in the nation.And they need your support. Come out to Lee Jackson to root on the No. 1 collegiate footballers. :wave:

Absolutely unimaginably poor coaching by JD on special teams. Where the heck did that 3rd grade punt formation come from? Totally bush league when all we needed was a straight punt. His handling of the kicking game is absolutely atrocious. Yanking the place kickers in and out when they miss has got both of them suffering from a severe lack of confidence. We make 2 field goals and don't have that punt blocked and we win 13-12. I really want JD to succeed but he is his own worst bullheaded enemy.

Absolutely unimaginably poor coaching by JD on special teams. Where the heck did that 3rd grade punt formation come from? Totally bush league when all we needed was a straight punt. His handling of the kicking game is absolutely atrocious. Yanking the place kickers in and out when they miss has got both of them suffering from a severe lack of confidence. We make 2 field goals and don't have that punt blocked and we win 13-12. I really want JD to succeed but he is his own worst bullheaded enemy.
I'll say this for the first time, and I mean it. It's time for a coaching change. This staff (and yes, i know it's not just the coaching staff) has thoroughly run the program into the ground deeper than it's ever been in what was (is?) the most important season in program school history. I'm embarrassed to have to settle for rooting for a Wagon Wheel victory this season...there's nothing else to cheer for.

I'll say this for the first time, and I mean it. It's time for a coaching change. This staff (and yes, i know it's not just the coaching staff) has thoroughly run the program into the ground deeper than it's ever been in what was (is?) the most important season in program school history. I'm embarrassed to have to settle for rooting for a Wagon Wheel victory this season...there's nothing else to cheer for.
The on the field product begins and ends with the coaching staff. The coaches recruit and coach the players that are on the field; they develop and teach the game plan (at least that's what they're supposed to do). The special teams were horrible and combined with the offense to keep the Zips from winning. Rodgers had problems and got hurt because his head coach and OC are football-challenged. Anyone could see that he was moving the offense until they called plays of which he was not capable of executing. Furthermore, any first year coach knows that you don't keep running the QB...easy to defend the obvious and we got the usual result. I agree that the punt formations were 3rd grade...I knew that punt was going to be blocked before it happened. Nicely looked good. JD and his OC shouldn't have needed Rodgers' injury to tear up his Nicely's redshirt. JD and Shane Montgomery should be fired immediately.JD has had more going for him than his 2 predecessors, yet the Zips have made no progress. (He has had the field house for a few seasons and at least the real promise of a new stadium). JD has taken the Zips' football team backwards. I'm embarrassed that once again the coaches who are producing are not getting facilities deserving of their accomplishments. The new on campus stadium was sorely needed, but a basketball arena and soccer pitch upgrade are much more deserved. All I have left to say is Go Zips and GOODBYE JD (I hope that was your resume you had on your clipboard on the sideline. It sure needs as much work as you can put into it.)

Nicely should have come in immediately when Jacq was sent packing, if he looked anywhere near as good in practice as he did tonight on the field. I'm not a QB expert but he appeared to be the FAR SUPERIOR QB to the best moments I ever saw from Rodgers. Rodgers could run in a pinch but was a terrible passer, IMO. Nicely has good feet, great size, nice poise and pocket presence, a very strong arm and nice touch on his passes. Why the hell did we have to wait until the season was in the crapper to see him? Who gives a rat's ass about the damned red shirt? Play your best players, PERIOD.Anyway, while we'll at least have the entertainment that will come from watching Nicely progress and the defense continue to grow, this is a bad, bad football team. Special teams? Bowser's Braylon Edwards impression, personal fouls, kickers that make me want to vomit? These coaches are disgraceful. I know it won't happen, or at least people say I'm crazy for thinking it could and wishing it would, but I want JD gone, like now, tonight. It's been all down hill since 2005 with this program. Pathetic. Embarrassing. UA deserves better. The kids in the program deserve better. We the fans and paying customers deserve better. NE Ohio deserves better. Welcome the the ESPN Bottom Ten everybody. It's well deserved. Think about it; it should actually take hard work to be among the ten worst D-1 programs in the country out of 119. UA has done it with ease, grace and style, or a complete lack thereof. STZ

Textbook zips loss....textbook. But as I sat there in the stadium and looking at all the empty seats this occurred to me. I'm going to predict that the athletic department puts half a million on our next coach. They must make a statement hire after this season or else and I think they will. The good news is that our next guy will have his quarterback. Not to proclaim him as the savior, but Nicely looked the part and once he gets on the same page as his receivers I think we'll have a decent Qb. I was surprised with his mobility. As for the rest of the team, we can start over for all I care. The fumbles, the missed kicks, the bone headed penalties..... I was not at all impressed with Ohio. They are bad and definitely did not beat us. The zips beat the zips.

I echo the absolute bewilderment of trying to figure out why it took a freaking injury for Nicely to see the field. Baller4life, we all need to give you props right away. As hard as it is to figure JD's decision on this, how do we reconcile the "famed QB guru's" assessment of the talent situation at this position for the Zips of 2009? You should return your salary for the rest of the year, Mr. Harris.One other thing that needs to be said. Mondo may have played the best game for an Akron D-linemen since JT's harassment of VT and Jim Druckenmiller in 1996. He was amazing tonight. I just hope he is recognized for his efforts.Oh and there is PLENTY of talent on defense for the next coach to work with in, hopefully, a more conventional system.

JD has had more going for him than his 2 predecessors, yet the Zips have made no progress. JD has taken the Zips' football team backwards.
Actually, the team has moved forward in many ways, especially in the talent department. Once JD is gone we should all feel optimistic about the future. The right guys will be on the field and they will be put in a better position to win. That's the good news. The bad news is there are still several games left to suffer through this season. The Zips are suffering through a bad case of mismanagement and that is more easily corrected than a case of no talent.After this season, I will be very optimistic about the Zips near future in the MAC. There is no reason we can't be the best team in a bad conference. The talent is there, the management is not.

On the bright side, I thought the team played hard tonight.
I'm glad you mentioned that. The defense was running all over the place and was pumped up. You could see they fed off the student crowd and that they badly wanted to win. I just feel bad that they are forced into a defensive scheme that doesn't necessarily fit their strengths. That defense is a really good group of guys. You can see Bowser's passion during every play, and Tuzze's effort speaks for itself. I love some of the individual personalities on this team. This is not the personality you typically see on a 1-4 team.The bottom line? Most of this team hasn't quit. They want to win. I enjoy watching the heart of the players. I think they wanted that more than OU did. Just some special teams mishaps which will always kill a team.

Gentlemen, I have to politely disagree. JD makes how much? How about Shane? Is Walt working for free? It's pretty obvious to me that we have Larry, Moe and Curly running the team or we have the three blind mice?The QB issue is much more than a staff making an incorrect choice and going with Rogers two games into the season. The real issue here is that the staff completely dropped the ball when Jacquemain was named the starter, Rogers the back-up and Nicely was named third team. As STZ pointed out, Nicely was far superior and showed me more in 30 minutes of action than Jacquemain showed me in three years. Rogers would have a hard time carrying the clipboard.. at the high school level.. What did the staff do with the quartebacks all summer and early fall? Could they not see the talent in Nicely? I know practice is limited during the week. Hell, it would have taken me 20 minutes to see that he has the "it" in a quarterback. Yet somehow he was third team. Good grief!Four days and counting until basketball.....

JD makes how much? How about Shane? Is Walt working for free? It's pretty obvious to me that we have Larry, Moe and Curly running the team or we have the three blind mice?
Great Three Stooges analogy.I hope you feel optimistic about the Zips future. Once the mismanagement is gone, the losing should be gone as well. The talent is there that is being wasted. I just hope Nicely doesn't transfer after the coaching change.

JD makes how much? How about Shane? Is Walt working for free? It's pretty obvious to me that we have Larry, Moe and Curly running the team or we have the three blind mice?
Great Three Stooges analogy.I hope you feel optimistic about the Zips future. Once the mismanagement is gone, the losing should be gone as well. The talent is there that is being wasted. I just hope Nicely doesn't transfer after the coaching change.
I also feel optimistic about the Zips' future as you do GP1. The defense played with a lot of heart. The offensive players looked pumped up as well. Some better management from the sideline and some work with the special teams would go a long way. I totally support our players. But, the Pee Wee head coach and his OC have to go. (I don't know what to Say about the QB coach...I'm unsure how much control Walt Harris has over personnel decisions. I'm sure that he makes recommendations, but I don't know if they translate to the field.) To me it is inexcusable to not be able to build the best team in this poor conference.

He won't transfer with the keys to the team in his hands

He won't transfer with the keys to the team in his hands
His last facebook status said "this is my team now". I don't think he's going anywhere. :P
That is good to hear. Hopefully we don't lose any transfers or current commits. Hopefully the new coaches can just start over int he spring with a lot of retunrning talent.

JD has had more going for him than his 2 predecessors, yet the Zips have made no progress. JD has taken the Zips' football team backwards.
Actually, the team has moved forward in many ways, especially in the talent department. Once JD is gone we should all feel optimistic about the future. The right guys will be on the field and they will be put in a better position to win. That's the good news. The bad news is there are still several games left to suffer through this season. The Zips are suffering through a bad case of mismanagement and that is more easily corrected than a case of no talent.After this season, I will be very optimistic about the Zips near future in the MAC. There is no reason we can't be the best team in a bad conference. The talent is there, the management is not.
That is absolutely the most postive comment I've ever seen from you.Where is the real GP1 and what have you done with him? :D

That is absolutely the most postive comment I've ever seen from you.Where is the real GP1 and what have you done with him? :D
Thanks!At the end of this season, I will be composing one of my usually brilliant posts on why the fans of this program should feel bullish about the future (assuming a coaching change). It all starts with talent.