Nicely

MaxZIP

Just think if JD was SURE what his true freshmen knew how that might change our lineup...If you know how to determine for SURE how a true freshman will perform against D1 competition, as opposed to what he showed in high school or in practice, please don't waste your great knowledge posting it here. Share it directly with the Zips coaching staff.let me attend every practice and then cut me a check after my evaluation and I would surely access the talent..Go Zips!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

let me attend every practice and then cut me a check after my evaluation and I would surely access the talent..Go Zips!
Well, it's really exciting to have an undiscovered D1 coaching talent posting on this forum. I'll try to keep track of all of your future suggestions and see how they pan out over the long haul. To get paid, though, you'd have to get out in the real world and convince the folks who write the paychecks that you could turn their losers into winners. I can tell you in all sincerity that if you ever accomplish that with the Zips, I will want you to personally autograph my MAC championship and bowl game programs.

let me attend every practice and then cut me a check after my evaluation and I would surely access the talent..Go Zips!
Well, it's really exciting to have an undiscovered D1 coaching talent posting on this forum. I'll try to keep track of all of your future suggestions and see how they pan out over the long haul. To get paid, though, you'd have to get out in the real world and convince the folks who write the paychecks that you could turn their losers into winners. I can tell you in all sincerity that if you ever accomplish that with the Zips, I will want you to personally autograph my MAC championship and bowl game programs.
Off point DIG. Wasn't the thrust of the last several posts that JD, the paid head coach of the UA football program, was supposed to be in the position, with the assistance of his superstar gurus Harris and Montgomery, to assess the talent on the roster? How is it that Nicely comes into the game and within 30 minutes looks like a winner after poor Rodgers scuffled for so long, and we all saw it, yet somehow through all of the recruiting and practicing and meetings JD apparently had no idea that this kid Nicely would likely be his best option at QB?The point wasn't that any posters knew, well, anything. The point was that we as fans had a hard time believing that the guys who get paid to prepare the team couldn't have seen and or guessed that maybe, just maybe Nicely was the way to go before Rodgers was injured. I am baffled by the decision to play Rodgers over Nicely, as I think many of us now are. Lastly, are you implying in your posts that because JD & Co. are paid as D-1 coaches/recruiters that all fans should magically defer when it comes to their decision making? These are the same coaches who have landed us either in, or close to, the ESPN Bottom Ten. Baller4life isn't a paid coach, and is only a fan, and so shouldn't hold opinions about coaching decisions? What is the purpose of these boards? Do we need DIG to police what questions are appropriate for posters to post? STZ

i think he would be better off in another offense with him at qb.he would be more suited for a regular offense.i don't think the spread fits him at all.if your qb is not a running threat what's the point of using the spread.i realize we have problems keeping a qb this year,but i hope next year they would run another offense next year.he seems to be a better drop back passer.you could run play action all day long with this kid,and should get alott morebig plays next year.

i think he would be better off in another offense with him at qb.he would be more suited for a regular offense.i don't think the spread fits him at all.if your qb is not a running threat what's the point of using the spread.i realize we have problems keeping a qb this year,but i hope next year they would run another offense next year.he seems to be a better drop back passer.you could run play action all day long with this kid,and should get alott morebig plays next year.
While not as quick on his feet as Rodgers, Nicely perfectly looked fine when he had to scramble for yardage against OU. Did you miss his 15 yard (or so) run that put the Zips in the red zone late in the game? It's no surprise that BG went after him, because he reminds me of Tyler Sheehan in that regard. Both appear to be tall QBs who relay on their talented arms, but also have enough athletic ability to keep the defense honest.

While not as quick on his feet as Rodgers, Nicely perfectly looked fine when he had to scramble for yardage against OU. Did you miss his 15 yard (or so) run that put the Zips in the red zone late in the game? It's no surprise that BG went after him, because he reminds me of Tyler Sheehan in that regard. Both appear to be tall QBs who relay on their talented arms, but also have enough athletic ability to keep the defense honest.
http://zipsnation.org/forums//index.php?sh...4&hl=xu9697

Off point DIG. Wasn't the thrust of the last several posts that JD, the paid head coach of the UA football program, was supposed to be in the position, with the assistance of his superstar gurus Harris and Montgomery, to assess the talent on the roster? How is it that Nicely comes into the game and within 30 minutes looks like a winner after poor Rodgers scuffled for so long, and we all saw it, yet somehow through all of the recruiting and practicing and meetings JD apparently had no idea that this kid Nicely would likely be his best option at QB?The point wasn't that any posters knew, well, anything. The point was that we as fans had a hard time believing that the guys who get paid to prepare the team couldn't have seen and or guessed that maybe, just maybe Nicely was the way to go before Rodgers was injured. I am baffled by the decision to play Rodgers over Nicely, as I think many of us now are. Lastly, are you implying in your posts that because JD & Co. are paid as D-1 coaches/recruiters that all fans should magically defer when it comes to their decision making? These are the same coaches who have landed us either in, or close to, the ESPN Bottom Ten. Baller4life isn't a paid coach, and is only a fan, and so shouldn't hold opinions about coaching decisions? What is the purpose of these boards? Do we need DIG to police what questions are appropriate for posters to post? STZ
When someone states in plain English that they could do a better job than the professional coaching staff if given a paid position, they've left the bounds of fandom and entered the ranks of aspiring professional coaches.Professionals understand to varying degrees the complexities and nuances of the profession for which they are paid. Those who understand best are generally among the best in their fields. Fans, by definition, are fanatics who generally have a narrower, more simplistic view. And, of course, hindsight is always 20-20.Some of the greatest coaches in the game have had bench warmers who became stars after they were played due to circumstances. There are many reasons why this can happen. It doesn't necessarily mean that the coaches who didn't immediately insert the guy on the bench are stupid, or the fans in the agony of a losing streak who cry out for the backup, or the backup's backup, or any fresh young body, are geniuses.No matter how good a player may look at lower levels of competition and in practice, you never really know for sure how a player will react in a competitive game at the next level until he's demonstrated himself in the heat of competition. But you can't do that with a redshirt without burning the redshirt. And if you make a mistake in judgment, you've just thrown away a year of a college player's career who might have given four good full years if seasoned a full year as a redshirt.Fans can say whatever they want on a sports forum, as long as it meets the standards of the forum's owners. But if fans are free to question the actions of coaches and players, why should those fans expect to have immunity from being questioned by other fans?

When someone states in plain English that they could do a better job than the professional coaching staff if given a paid position, they've left the bounds of fandom and entered the ranks of aspiring professional coaches.Professionals understand to varying degrees the complexities and nuances of the profession for which they are paid. Those who understand best are generally among the best in their fields. Fans, by definition, are fanatics who generally have a narrower, more simplistic view. And, of course, hindsight is always 20-20.Some of the greatest coaches in the game have had bench warmers who became stars after they were played due to circumstances. There are many reasons why this can happen. It doesn't necessarily mean that the coaches who didn't immediately insert the guy on the bench are stupid, or the fans in the agony of a losing streak who cry out for the backup, or the backup's backup, or any fresh young body, are geniuses.No matter how good a player may look at lower levels of competition and in practice, you never really know for sure how a player will react in a competitive game at the next level until he's demonstrated himself in the heat of competition. But you can't do that with a redshirt without burning the redshirt. And if you make a mistake in judgment, you've just thrown away a year of a college player's career who might have given four good full years if seasoned a full year as a redshirt.Fans can say whatever they want on a sports forum, as long as it meets the standards of the forum's owners. But if fans are free to question the actions of coaches and players, why should those fans expect to have immunity from being questioned by other fans?
Touche. Now let's get ready for 3.5 years of the P-Nice show.GO ZIPPERS!STZ

Touche. Now let's get ready for 3.5 years of the P-Nice show.GO ZIPPERS!STZ
I'm with you on that. He sure impressed me with the level of maturity he showed under real game pressure, and I hope there's a lot more to come.
The Buffalo announcers gave him a HUGE compliment. They compared him to Ben Roethlisberger as a freshman.

It's hard to believe, but it really is happening.What are our options left on offense? Should we have Devoe Torrence under center running a Flexbone offense?
I'm still calling BS on this until you put up some legit evidence.When did it occur, where did you hear the rumor etc.

It's hard to believe, but it really is happening.What are our options left on offense? Should we have Devoe Torrence under center running a Flexbone offense?
I'm still calling BS on this until you put up some legit evidence.When did it occur, where did you hear the rumor etc.
It occurred at practice.And as for CK's misgivings, I heard the thing about the endzone grass from a UA tour guide during one of the open houses.

It occurred at practice.And as for CK's misgivings, I heard the thing about the endzone grass from a UA tour guide during one of the open houses.
Simply fix would be to give your source of information. Example 1: The 22 year old girl that was our tour guide suggested that you will not be able to sit on the hill. Example 2: A student (or whomever) told me that PN16 broke his ankle today at practice today. :wave: PS If the info about PN16 is true, get ready for the wa wa wa wild....I can't even type it.

Simply fix would be to give your source of information. Example 1: The 22 year old girl that was our tour guide suggested that you will not be able to sit on the hill. Example 2: A student (or whomever) told me that PN16 broke his ankle today at practice today. :wave: PS If the info about PN16 is true, get ready for the wa wa wa wild....I can't even type it.
All right then. A tour guide in his mid-20s told me the thing about the endzone. And yes, a student told me about what happened to Nicely.

I'm still waiting to hear who told you that the MAC has no automatic bid to the NCAA's in Futbol this season.
I heard that one from some AK-Rowdies. They seemed very certain of it, and I'm inclined to believe them. I can't find anything in print that I could link you to. Maybe a talk with the soccer players or coaches could confirm it.