Why the Zips Can Beat Purdue

Captain Kangaroo

TCU went from unknown to nationally ranked after its shocking upset of Oklahoma. How amazing was it? The Horned Frogs were just 5-6 last year and ranked dead last — 119th out of 119 teams — in Division I-A in pass defense. Sports Illustrated had them rated No. 62 in the nation — surrounded by the likes of North Texas, New Mexico and Middle Tennesse — in their preseason preview.

Good point but we are #99. Even thought SI has no clue on rating teams in the lower portion of the preview, it still says something that there are 37 teams between the Zips and TCU. If we were in the 60's and getting any respect, I'd share your optimism. And I've shared your optimism in the past (Penn State) only to be dissappointed.

It's a 35.5 point spread. It seems like they should be able to cover, that's ALOT of points. I wonder which way Dr Z's money is flowing ??

I'm a huge Zip fan but reality is BuckZip is right. Think about the fact that odds makers need to GIVE us 35 points - 5 TDS - to make the game even and listed on the odds line. It's embarrassing. Right now, the score is 35-0 and the majority of bettors would take Purdue. How can you not cover a 35 point spread if you are a respectable football team !??!?!? I'm not even thinking realistically about winning (of course, play to win, pull out all the stops, anything can happen) but playing a close game and covering the spread earning a little respect.

A 35 point spread is a :nutkick: Let's all hope that the odds makers don't know anything (although I think they do as money is on the line). It will be nice when the day comes that spreads like this don't exist for us. 35 point spreads really are an embarrassment. By the way, it is the largest spread on the line this week. :(

im not into moral victories ,but the the same time chance of any mac team playing a big ten team on the road and winning is slim at best. not that it can't be done,but we are playing with a new offensive line, and qb.we lost the best qb the school has ever had. our defense has never been good for the last decade. we have a bunch of freshman on our two deep. i think what that means is our future is going to be bright for the next few years.these first three games though are going to be tuff ones;so im not going to be to upset if things don't go well.go akron.

I think after two weeks of Pitt football we are finding out they were way overrated or Dave Wannestedt is that bad.

As much as I hope the Zips can get their first big OOC today -- I can't see it happening.

On the flip side September 8, 2007, at the shoe with all the freshman on the two deep getting playing team and another excellent recruiting class or two -- I wouldn't big angry if we got the first then. It'll most likely be a first time QB for the Bucks that day and an extremely experienced Zips team. It's way far down the line, but I'm already thinking about that game.

There is always a chance for a victory, Ohio beat Pitt!!  If Purdue expects to win and doesn't come ready to play they will lose.

Ohio played a great defensive game.

Wannastadt must be one of the worst all time coaches -- Failure just follows this guy around. Why does he keep on getting hired ? Too bad, the last thing we need is for the Pitt job to open up in a couple of years.

As for the predictions - 65-7 is alittle harsh. I don't see Purdue's Tiller running it up to the 60's. It will probably be your standard 40 something to 7 with Purdue reserves playing the majority of the 3rd and 4th QTR. Still dont think the Zips cover because their offense and scoring is just too hard to predict.

Great day for college football though -- ND/Mich and OSU/Texas are great matchups and games to watch for any college football fan.

Cap'tn Roo-- I admire your choice of brew!

Otherwise, this season will be a bummer in my opinion, we will have to bite the bullet this year and know that next year we start the climb to the upper levels of D1 f'ball, my

preciction for the season 4-7 at worst and 5-6 at best.

Wiyh ball ammunition, lock and load. :D

Oh the poor little Zips are going to get killed......

Oh my I hope nobody gets hurt......

Halftime Score 28 -14 Purdue......

:rolltide: For say the Zips will get killed!!!!!! :rolltide:

Oh I think the score will be 65 - 7 Purdue!!!!!!

Come Zips fans have some faith!!!!!!

In JD I trust!!!!!!!

Really well played and coached game by the Zips. I don't know about the 4th and 3, WR end around option play but I'll give them one on absolutely well played game. My hats off to them -- completely unexpected. Could we actually have a defense ? How nice would that be.

You've got to be encouraged that we will be competitive throughout the rest of the schedule.

You've got to be encouraged that we will be competitive throughout the rest of the schedule.

Northern Illinois is getting beat up pretty good by Nortwestern...Miami loses to a weak CMU team, giving up 38 pionts in the process. BG gave up 56 points to Wisconsin. Can't gave up 700 yards to Michigan State. Buffalo may not score in September. Ball State appears to be absolutely horrible. OU's offense is atrocious, and we have them at the Rubber Bowl. Army was down 30-0 to Boston College today, I believe?

If the Zips can play like they did today for the remainder of the season...man...this fall could be a lot of fun!

I'm a huge Zip fan but reality is BuckZip is right. Think about the fact that odds makers need to GIVE us 35 points - 5 TDS - to make the game even and listed on the odds line. It's embarrassing. Right now, the score is 35-0 and the majority of bettors would take Purdue. How can you not cover a 35 point spread if you are a respectable football team !??!?!? I'm not even thinking realistically about winning (of course, play to win, pull out all the stops, anything can happen)  but playing a close game and covering the spread earning a little respect.

A 35 point spread is a  :nutkick:  Let's all hope that the odds makers don't know anything (although I think they do as money is on the line). It will be nice when the day comes that spreads like this don't exist for us. 35 point spreads really are an embarrassment. By the way, it is the largest spread on the line this week.  :(

Going forward, if we keep recruiting well (players, coaches and administrators), that will have been the last time you ever see the Zips as 35 point underdogs. Circle this day on your calendar.

i have to agree with c/k it looks the race for the division is wide open. hopefully we can pull it together next week ,and pull out a win before mac play. niu, and miami look very beatable.at the begging of the year i never thought we would have a chance to win the divison. now it looks like it's wide open with every team but buffalo in the mix.

Come Zips fans have some faith!!!!!!

In JD I trust!!!!!!!

If they were losing 28-14 at the half......How could it be 65-7 for a final!