Planet Underground

Any students notice that Planet Underground has re-opened? It's not what it used to be, though. It was a video-rental place on the first floor of the basement of the Student Union, but now it's some kind of lounge that's open during the evenings. Looks like it's the kind of place that could easily be transformed into an on-campus bar if UA ever renewed their liquor license. Still, it's nice to see another unique dining option open up on campus. The more of these things there are, the more this place feels like a residential campus. I'll have to try it out before a game some day.

Any students notice that Planet Underground has re-opened? It's not what it used to be, though. It was a video-rental place on the first floor of the basement of the Student Union, but now it's some kind of lounge that's open during the evenings. Looks like it's the kind of place that could easily be transformed into an on-campus bar if UA ever renewed their liquor license. Still, it's nice to see another unique dining option open up on campus. The more of these things there are, the more this place feels like a residential campus. I'll have to try it out before a game some day.
They need more options in the actual residence halls. Also, everything must stay open later including the rec center, library, dining establishments, and the student union activities. It seems as if everything on Akron's campus is 7-5 mon-fri.

They need more options in the actual residence halls. Also, everything must stay open later including the rec center, library, dining establishments, and the student union activities. It seems as if everything on Akron's campus is 7-5 mon-fri.
Yea, I remember last year when Robs closed at 8. It was the only place I could eat so I was screwed sometimes lol.

They just have to create much more for students to do on campus. True "Residential" campuses have activities going on at all hours. I understand that Akron has plenty of bars and night spots downtown but there is little for younger students to do. They have no reason to stick around campus and therefore their friends who are still in high school are less likely to be attracted to Akron when they see Akron students at home on the weekends doing the same boring stuff they did in highs school. The off campus party scene is pretty tame at Akron and it is pretty dangerous to be walking around off campus in the early a.m.. I know they already have been making strides. There just needs to be more.

They just have to create much more for students to do on campus. True "Residential" campuses have activities going on at all hours. I understand that Akron has plenty of bars and night spots downtown but there is little for younger students to do. They have no reason to stick around campus and therefore their friends who are still in high school are less likely to be attracted to Akron when they see Akron students at home on the weekends doing the same boring stuff they did in highs school. The off campus party scene is pretty tame at Akron and it is pretty dangerous to be walking around off campus in the early a.m.. I know they already have been making strides. There just needs to be more.
RHPB makes a big deal about their events, but I mean they are awful...usually comedians no one has ever heard of and singers who best gig ever is at starbucks. It just makes me mad that Cleveland State can get grammy winning artists like Jay-Z and the greatest thing we can bring in is colbie caillat. We have a 5000+ arena and a 30000+ stadium that sit empty during the offseason and collect dust. I know you can't have outside concerts during the winter, but spring and fall could draw good crowds. Speaking of resident halls I just found out today that the new Spicer dorms are only going to be open to freshman in learning communities? Okay first of all why do freshman get the best and newest living conditions? It's not fair to discriminate against us students who deserve to live there. Looks like 4th year at the gooch is coming up!

I dont know, the parties are usually pretty damn good. Though you're right, it can be dangerous. Just last friday there was a near riot on gage street. It was wild, some guy was being harassed by some girls on someones porch as he was riding his bike up and down the snowy street. He said something to them and one of their guy friends came out and tackled the guy. It then turned into a huge brawl with multiple houses of people coming out and joining in. I saw a guy on crutches bite the dust trying to join in, one guy who literally tried to take on an entire house worth of people (and succeed), and girls throwing snowballs at the guys the entire time....all while some crazy kid was throwing that guys bike at a tree repeatedly for about a minute and a half before anyone even noticed.It was some good entertainment, and it went on for about 45 minutes.

Any students notice that Planet Underground has re-opened? It's not what it used to be, though. It was a video-rental place on the first floor of the basement of the Student Union, but now it's some kind of lounge that's open during the evenings. Looks like it's the kind of place that could easily be transformed into an on-campus bar if UA ever renewed their liquor license.
Heaven forbid the student union allows liquor inside. Too must risk. There were also talks of putting a tanning salon in there but too much risk for that too. The Planet Underground Lounge is now open starting at 5pm each night. I encourage everyone to check it out.

Any students notice that Planet Underground has re-opened? It's not what it used to be, though. It was a video-rental place on the first floor of the basement of the Student Union, but now it's some kind of lounge that's open during the evenings. Looks like it's the kind of place that could easily be transformed into an on-campus bar if UA ever renewed their liquor license.
Heaven forbid the student union allows liquor inside. Too must risk. There were also talks of putting a tanning salon in there but too much risk for that too. The Planet Underground Lounge is now open starting at 5pm each night. I encourage everyone to check it out.
Too much risk? Are you being sarcastic?...im confused.

The sad part is that I am not being sarcastic.

• 2 weeks later...
RHPB makes a big deal about their events, but I mean they are awful...usually comedians no one has ever heard of and singers who best gig ever is at starbucks. It just makes me mad that Cleveland State can get grammy winning artists like Jay-Z and the greatest thing we can bring in is colbie caillat. We have a 5000+ arena and a 30000+ stadium that sit empty during the offseason and collect dust. I know you can't have outside concerts during the winter, but spring and fall could draw good crowds. Speaking of resident halls I just found out today that the new Spicer dorms are only going to be open to freshman in learning communities? Okay first of all why do freshman get the best and newest living conditions? It's not fair to discriminate against us students who deserve to live there. Looks like 4th year at the gooch is coming up!
Funny, RHPB has always crowed about their corny events and as always they suck big time. That organization has had its poor reputation since the early '70s. Some things never change. They are so high school it is nauseatingAlso, I heard that the Spicer dorms were going to be reserved for students in athletics and not Freshmen. Something tells me we are both hearing unfounded rumors.And, I agree UA needs more late night spots on the campus. It needs its own operating bar(s) and at least one restaurant to be more student/user friendly. Many parents are reluctant about their kids going off campus for their entertainment. A nice place for food and drinks is in order for patrons after an evening at UA's E.J. I would much rather patronize an on-campus restaurant over an off-campus one after an event at E.J. or InfoCision. On-campus options are a must for those who want to take advantage of them. It would certainly give UA the residential atmosphere it is seeking.

RHPB makes a big deal about their events, but I mean they are awful...usually comedians no one has ever heard of and singers who best gig ever is at starbucks. It just makes me mad that Cleveland State can get grammy winning artists like Jay-Z and the greatest thing we can bring in is colbie caillat. We have a 5000+ arena and a 30000+ stadium that sit empty during the offseason and collect dust. I know you can't have outside concerts during the winter, but spring and fall could draw good crowds.
The problem is, the Programming boards of Akron, RHPB and ZPN, don't get nearly enough money to program these types of events. Pitt's Program Council gets close to or over $1 Mil to program for their campus. Even if you merged the two boards budgets together its not even close to that much. Keep in mind that this is for the entire year- you can't sink in a ton of money into one program either. When I was on ZPN, I hate admitting that I was somewhat...vocal...that RHPB's events were repetitive and only appealed to a small subset of students. They're nice guys, but they're used to planning events one way and one way only in a certain order. Wolstein Center at Cleveland State, i think is managed by an outside company (SMG) so they can get bigger events. Those concerts arent managed/run/paid for by their Program Council.
It needs its own operating bar(s) and at least one restaurant to be more student/user friendly.
Yep. As early as 2006, there was talk of adding a bar to the Game Room. With Planet Underground being a lounge now, maybe this is one step closer. Just be warned, I heard that some Board member is really, really hesitant of getting a bar anywhere on campus, and their are concerns about the image and potential risks.

Back in my day <insert old man voice> they had beer in the Student Center. No one rioted. No one died. We drank beer, ate pizza and then went on with our day/night.

Back in my day <insert old man voice> they had beer in the Student Center. No one rioted. No one died. We drank beer, ate pizza and then went on with our day/night.
crappy beer mind you, but beer nonetheless.

I hear you and back in my day as well. We had beer in the Gardner Student Center and Robertson Dining Hall. And the excuse for poor programming was the same then as it is today. "not enough $$$" to the student organization, which is no excuse. Students should demand bigger budgets. They should also demand that the university's performing arts hall (E.J) program more quality events for the students. That university facility takes most of its budget directly from student fees and uses it to feature programming to the city and not UA students. They try and cover up the crime by throwing stupid halloween parties and stage door shows which serve very few students. Let the food service department provide so-called free pizza and hot dogs to students. E.J. needs to give student big name acts that fill the 3,000 seat house. The only entity doing that now is Live Nation.There is enough money for ZIP Programming Network to put on big events. The problem is that the university gave it all to E.J. Thomas Hall so that Dan Dahl can spend it on the Akron blue hairs. Students should stage a massive protest over this blatant rip off.

Exactly, beer isn't this "root of all evil" like a few people seem to think. The U could make some money off of it as well. It's a win win.