True Blue on the Horizon

AwesomeDude

dooont worry we will be ready to go for this one, and honestly the rowdies havent been that bad this year. Actually about the same number at games as last year. Though I must ohio may have been our best game. Do i have to bring up overtime and the stand up chant we did, the place was rockin for that game. But in all seriousness we will ready to go on wednesday. though it is pretty sad that i havent seen any marketing on campus for this game outside of what the ROWDIES do. you would think the athletic department would have something up, seeming the game is on fsn and ub is bringing down students.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buffalo has a 97 RPI, so beating them just might be enough to help the Zips crack into the top 100 RPI. The Zips' RPI didn't change much after being whipped by VCU. As of this moment the Zips remain at 107 in RPI, tied with Virginia and Colorado State. Whether or not anyone puts much faith in the RPI formula, consistently being in the top 100 RPI is a characteristic that's common to the best teams. The Zips need to earn their way there and stay there. StatSheet.com RPI for Feb. 22

depends on the the game, toledo, miami, bg, austin peay both sides pretty much fulll. When it came to niagra emu and ohio you had one side and then about half of the other. NIU was honestly prolly the worse bc it was 2 days after we lost to emu no marketing (outside of the rowdies) and it was a 3rd game in 5 nights. Break games were ok nothing special, maybe with the exception of uri but its hard to get people back to cmapus when u face valpo, st. francis and our lady of the poor and blind (malone). Anticipate both being full and loud like it was last week.

High time to open those seats up to non-Rowdies students. Once the game tips off, and those seats are half-full there is no reason to have the rest of the students that are there sitting up in the wooden bleachers.
maybe the Rowdies should do a bring a non-Rowdie student down to the section because I've seen Rowdies(ppl with shirt on doesn't mean they're technically rowdies IMO) sitting with their friends that aren't Rowdies sit in the wooden bleachers...we need to get this changed...I think for the Can't State game, the band should move down to the side where the cheerleaders are because I can't hear the other end's chants when the cheerleaders are doing their own chants...I think we should get the everyone who has been there all year take the one side and be able to hear what goes on...and the band and cheerleaders and whoever just shows up for the Can't game, can just be on the band side...

We've tried the "points" system with some very awesome rewards for the most dedicated students. It's still just the same 100 people every time.Maybe the band needs to move. If we had that space we could fill it up. And it's not like they wouldn't have plenty of room up top.
I have been saying that for the longest time. No offense to the band, but they should move up to the wooden bleachers where it says "band". They are taking up half of the student section on that end and they can be heard just fine if they were on the 2nd level...

We've tried the "points" system with some very awesome rewards for the most dedicated students. It's still just the same 100 people every time.Maybe the band needs to move. If we had that space we could fill it up. And it's not like they wouldn't have plenty of room up top.
I have been saying that for the longest time. No offense to the band, but they should move up to the wooden bleachers where it says "band". They are taking up half of the student section on that end and they can be heard just fine if they were on the 2nd level...
When the rowdies fill up both halves every game maybe we will be moved but there not gonna move us when both sides never fill up except for the Can't game...I'm not trying to start anything, but most I can't say all cheer just as hard for the zips as the rowdies.

now in terms of letting people down after tip, we have told the ushers (staff) that we let other students down after tip if theres room. thats why we have someone with the wristbands up there till atleast the under 16 media timeout. plus during break including the uri game we let anyone down there, didnt really seem to make a difference bc people still sat in the wooden bleachers. weird and frustrating all in its self

ej i agree with you until we can get both full then yeah maybe we can make an argument to have the move. Also I do agree with the fact that yeah the band is cheering with us this year. saying our chants, putting their own twists on things, honestly i have no problem with them if they are going to be loud and make noise which you guys have pretty much all year.

The fact that the band cheers is exactly why they should move. There needs to be something to excite the crowd in the upper seats. It also lets the entire arena hear them instead of just the side they're facing.If they don't want to move, they need to at least stop growing. You don't need 10 trombones in a 25 person band.

I must say Im impressed that the UB student fans have their own website. AK Rowdies as we know dont. I agree that we dont want the band on north side playing into our bench. I like the idea of taking out that track/walkway and running seats all the way up like they did when they renovated Beeghly center at YSU. Im not a Can't lover but lets admit their students arent so bad- they fill two whole endzones of 18 rows of bleachers while we cant fill 8 rows. Im not criticizing the Rowdies, but Id like to honestly know why they turn out in great numbers for soccer outdoors in freezing rain but wont come to any basketball games!! Those of you who do I love it but lets face it- thjats about 50 people! Where are the rest?? 3 games left- time to put up or shut up.

The fact that the band cheers is exactly why they should move. There needs to be something to excite the crowd in the upper seats. It also lets the entire arena hear them instead of just the side they're facing.If they don't want to move, they need to at least stop growing. You don't need 10 trombones in a 25 person band.
+1I like the band's activeness, but the Rowdies are already active, especially that end. Let them go upstairs and get the rest involved. IMO, that's what they are trying to do anyways from the floor.

no critisim taken, becasue as the president im trying to figure out the same thing. Now in terms of the website, it is coming by the end of the year...hopefully sooner then later. Now the comment about Can't, i do agree it's nice to have students at the games but at the same time they dont do anything. Atleast the ones we have make noise do chants get in the other players heads (ask washington and kvk from ohio.) People love what we do, just wish we had more on a more consistant basis.

Isn't two half empty student sections way worse than one? If there are empty seats with the band taking up half of them what in the world makes you think they'll be full if we move?
now in terms of letting people down after tip, we have told the ushers (staff) that we let other students down after tip if theres room. thats why we have someone with the wristbands up there till atleast the under 16 media timeout. plus during break including the uri game we let anyone down there, didnt really seem to make a difference bc people still sat in the wooden bleachers. weird and frustrating all in its self
I'll call you out here. I came back for the Valpo game over break and got there a minute and a half after tip off and they weren't going to let me sit down behind the baskets even though there were about 5 students on one side and twenty on the other. Luckily one of the ushers recognized that I'm usually with the band and let me in but only after arguing with the folks up top for 5 minutes.
The fact that the band cheers is exactly why they should move. There needs to be something to excite the crowd in the upper seats.
Isn't that what cheerleaders are for? The student section starts all of their own cheers anyways. Where do Can't and Buffalo put their bands? How about at the Q for the tournament, where do they sit? You know where we were in Portland? Right behind the basket.We talk about bandwagon fans on this board a lot. 1300 students at a soccer game and lucky to get 50 at a basketball game? You blame the Rubber Bowl for the poor student turn out for football games and say more students will show up to games when the stadium is on campus. There were 15 students at the Eastern Michigan football game. Now you're saying they don't sit in the empty seats behind the baskets because the band is there?I've been dissapointed with the Rowdy turn out all year. Don't get me wrong, the ones who are there are excellent. My game isn't complete without the guy holding up the erroneous poster and screaming at the refs or the "I Believe" chant at the end of the game. The problem is the 1000+ who aren't there. I made the road trip to Buffalo with three other guys from the band and there were only two other Akron students there and it was a three day weekend. Where was everyone for the Can't basketball game this year? It's fifteen minutes away! I've made roadtrips to BG, Buffalo and every Can't game without the band and am always amazed by the lack of student support. Be thankful you have a guaranteed thirty students or so there every game with the band so it doesn't look as bad for the school when the games are on tv and there are 30 more empty blue seats on the court.

no critisim taken, becasue as the president im trying to figure out the same thing. Now in terms of the website, it is coming by the end of the year...hopefully sooner then later. Now the comment about Can't, i do agree it's nice to have students at the games but at the same time they dont do anything. Atleast the ones we have make noise do chants get in the other players heads (ask washington and kvk from ohio.) People love what we do, just wish we had more on a more consistant basis.
Ask that ref that tried to throw me out as well

Isn't two half empty student sections way worse than one? If there are empty seats with the band taking up half of them what in the world makes you think they'll be full if we move?
I'll call you out here. I came back for the Valpo game over break and got there a minute and a half after tip off and they weren't going to let me sit down behind the baskets even though there were about 5 students on one side and twenty on the other. Luckily one of the ushers recognized that I'm usually with the band and let me in but only after arguing with the folks up top for 5 minutes.
The fact that the band cheers is exactly why they should move. There needs to be something to excite the crowd in the upper seats.
Isn't that what cheerleaders are for? The student section starts all of their own cheers anyways. Where do Can't and Buffalo put their bands? How about at the Q for the tournament, where do they sit? You know where we were in Portland? Right behind the basket.We talk about bandwagon fans on this board a lot. 1300 students at a soccer game and lucky to get 50 at a basketball game? You blame the Rubber Bowl for the poor student turn out for football games and say more students will show up to games when the stadium is on campus. There were 15 students at the Eastern Michigan football game. Now you're saying they don't sit in the empty seats behind the baskets because the band is there?I've been dissapointed with the Rowdy turn out all year. Don't get me wrong, the ones who are there are excellent. My game isn't complete without the guy holding up the erroneous poster and screaming at the refs or the "I Believe" chant at the end of the game. The problem is the 1000+ who aren't there. I made the road trip to Buffalo with three other guys from the band and there were only two other Akron students there and it was a three day weekend. Where was everyone for the Can't basketball game this year? It's fifteen minutes away! I've made roadtrips to BG, Buffalo and evey Can't game without the band and am always amazed by the lack of student support. Be thankful you have a guaranteed thirty students or so there every game with the band so it doesn't look as bad for the school when the games are on tv and there are 30 more empty blue seats on the court.
I used to be all for the band moving but i realized that you are right. You guys put alot into it lately. You dont just stand there, you get loud along with the rowdies and i salute you guys. Until the 90% of the Rowdies who never come to basketball games start showing up there is no reason to move the band. Once they do and students need those seats, of course, move the band back up where they should be. But right now it's not like anyone is trying to sit there considering there is plenty of room on the north side. However, maybe the band should move up for the Can't game because we all know the Twice a Year's will be in full force taking up seats for that one.

I think what everyone is asking and what im trying to figure out also is what are we doing differently in basketball than soccer in getting students and more fans out? I have no idea how we can change this other than posting flyers on like every door in the dorms to get more rowdies and students out...Other than that...I have no idea...I'll be willing to help the advertising or marketing on students if anyone has any ideas...cause my little head is out of them(i don't have many good ideas to begin with, and i don't know what i was thinking with band switching sides...)...We have 28,000 students...im sure that we can get more rowdies and get some good ones in the bunch...but it's getting them to come...which i wish i had the answer for...

Isn't that what cheerleaders are for? The student section starts all of their own cheers anyways. Where do Can't and Buffalo put their bands? How about at the Q for the tournament, where do they sit? You know where we were in Portland? Right behind the basket.We talk about bandwagon fans on this board a lot. 1300 students at a soccer game and lucky to get 50 at a basketball game? You blame the Rubber Bowl for the poor student turn out for football games and say more students will show up to games when the stadium is on campus. There were 15 students at the Eastern Michigan football game. Now you're saying they don't sit in the empty seats behind the baskets because the band is there?I've been dissapointed with the Rowdy turn out all year. Don't get me wrong, the ones who are there are excellent. My game isn't complete without the guy holding up the erroneous poster and screaming at the refs or the "I Believe" chant at the end of the game. The problem is the 1000+ who aren't there. I made the road trip to Buffalo with three other guys from the band and there were only two other Akron students there and it was a three day weekend. Where was everyone for the Can't basketball game this year? It's fifteen minutes away! I've made roadtrips to BG, Buffalo and evey Can't game without the band and am always amazed by the lack of student support. Be thankful you have a guaranteed thirty students or so there every game with the band so it doesn't look as bad for the school when the games are on tv and there are 30 more empty blue seats on the court.
I used to be all for the band moving but i realized that you are right. You guys put alot into it lately. You dont just stand there, you get loud along with the rowdies and i salute you guys. Until the 90% of the Rowdies who never come to basketball games start showing up there is no reason to move the band. Once they do and students need those seats, of course, move the band back up where they should be. But right now it's not like anyone is trying to sit there considering there is plenty of room on the north side. However, maybe the band should move up for the Can't game because we all know the Twice a Year's will be in full force taking up seats for that one.
I understand where you're coming from for the Can't game, but I respectfully disagree. I've been at every game for two years and I would much rather sit under the basket for the biggest game of the year then up top. I'm one of the one's cheering just as loud as everyone else and don't really feel like I should have to give up my seat for one of the twice a years who obviously couldn't care less about the game.