Marketing

Akron hires new marketing guy
AKRON - University of Akron athletics director Tom Wistrcill announced the appointment of Dan Satter as the Zips' Senior Associate Athletics Director for External Relations.Satter, who spent the past two-and-a-half years at Boston University, will begin in his new capacity April 5. At Akron, he will work closely with Wistrcill in the department's administration, be the department's liaison with ISP Sports and lead all facets of the Zips' external affairs, including the marketing, ticket operations and sales, media relations, merchandising and licensing, video and spirit departments.
So he's now in charge of pretty much everything people complain about when it comes to being a Zips fan.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AKRON - University of Akron athletics director Tom Wistrcill announced the appointment of Dan Satter as the Zips' Senior Associate Athletics Director for External Relations.Satter, who spent the past two-and-a-half years at Boston University, will begin in his new capacity April 5. At Akron, he will work closely with Wistrcill in the department's administration, be the department's liaison with ISP Sports and lead all facets of the Zips' external affairs, including the marketing, ticket operations and sales, media relations, merchandising and licensing, video and spirit departments.
So he's now in charge of pretty much everything people complain about when it comes to being a Zips fan.
Believe it or not, i dont have much confidence.

I say we should have a special forum...like for marketing ideas or suggestions, so this guy can have help to do the best he can. People come up with great ideas every day, and it could be nice for one place to have them all to make it easy on the guy. But I wish him luck and hope this means change is coming

Ladies and gentlemen, meet the next University of Akron AD. ;)

No we don't promote from within, just ask Hunter. :eek:

No we don't promote from within, just ask Hunter. :eek:
I see that trend being reversed. Starting with women's bb. There's such a thing as hiring your successor. You just don't have the opportunity to make the final decision. ;)

This guy needs to be empowered to market the campus as a whole and should work directly with UA's department of institutional marketing. If UA sees marketing athletics in the macro sense that it should, there will be a much higher chance of success. Athletics is just a microcosm of the university as a whole. Marketing cannot be effective if it is done in pieces and parts. Students in general at UA are not inspired or energized (they readily wear the logos of other universities while on campus) because UA still suffers from an identity problem. Yes, there has been improvement but not enough. UA needs to make itself environmentally/visually distinct from the rest of the city so that students can have their pride lifted and feel like they belong to a real campus and not some hodge podge Cleveland Stateish look where one can't tell where the campus begins and downtown leaves off. Our sense of sight is a very strong motivator and trumps what people hear or say. This is why billboards and television are excellent mediumsThis not only lifts the pride of UA students but the community as a whole. The people of the city of Akron need to be proud of their university and to be honest they are not and make fun of it more than our rival to the east. I've heard comments out in the bars on the order of, "you don't support the Zips do you?". Akronites still see UA as silly and not a real university (Akron U) and that needs to change before anything else changes.And by the way the term, "Akron U" is not a nick name for The University of Akron. It is the worst kind of insult because it is not used out of maliciousness. It is used out of apathetic indifference for the institution. "Akron U" is another way of calling the university, "Hilltop High."Good luck to the new marketing guy. He needs our support and more importantly, the support of the board of trustees and administration at The University of Akron.

This guy needs to be empowered to market the campus as a whole and should work directly with UA's department of institutional marketing. If UA sees marketing athletics in the macro sense that it should, there will be a much higher chance of success. Athletics is just a microcosm of the university as a whole. Marketing cannot be effective if it is done in pieces and parts. Students in general at UA are not inspired or energized (they readily wear the logos of other universities while on campus) because UA still suffers from an identity problem. Yes, there has been improvement but not enough. UA needs to make itself environmentally/visually distinct from the rest of the city so that students can have their pride lifted and feel like they belong to a real campus and not some hodge podge Cleveland Stateish look where one can't tell where the campus begins and downtown leaves off. Our sense of sight is a very strong motivator and trumps what people hear or say. This is why billboards and television are excellent mediumsThis not only lifts the pride of UA students but the community as a whole. The people of the city of Akron need to be proud of their university and to be honest they are not and make fun of it more than our rival to the east. I've heard comments out in the bars on the order of, "you don't support the Zips do you?". Akronites still see UA as silly and not a real university (Akron U) and that needs to change before anything else changes.And by the way the term, "Akron U" is not a nick name for The University of Akron. It is the worst kind of insult because it is not used out of maliciousness. It is used out of apathetic indifference for the institution. "Akron U" is another way of calling the university, "Hilltop High."Good luck to the new marketing guy. He needs our support and more importantly, the support of the board of trustees and administration at The University of Akron.
Hey Jake I heard this new guy is really pushing for UA to build an arena downtown off campus :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hey Jake I heard this new guy is really pushing for UA to build an arena downtown off campus
Then they should shoot him...out of a cannon. Fire! LOL!and in all seriousness, UA can kiss good bye any chance of filling any sports venue if they make the horrible mistake of putting their arena off campus. Also, what I am hearing from the UA movers and shakers is that the arena is going on campus. It is what Proenza and all of Buchtel Hall want to see happen.

• 3 weeks later...
Well, I wish him the best. From what I see and hear - marketing has been a major disappointment!

Let's give him a fair chance.......

I agree. Go Zips and go University of Akron. Let's hope he at the very least gets Akronites to see an "Akron Zips" Flag flying off their neighbors' porches and not respond with the question, "what's that supposed to be?"

That's right, people in Akron fly OSU, K.E.N.T State and MSU flags from their windows and porches and have no idea what a (UA) Zips Flag is all about. That is a pathetic illustration of how miserable UA marketing is as a whole. It is no wonder why K.E.N.T. State laughs us off the map. They have every reason to.

Well, I wish him the best. From what I see and hear - marketing has been a major disappointment!

I agree. Go Zips and go University of Akron. Let's hope he at the very least gets Akronites to see an "Akron Zips" Flag flying off their neighbors' porches and not respond with the question, "what's that supposed to be?"

That's right, people in Akron fly OSU, K.E.N.T State and MSU flags from their windows and porches and have no idea what a (UA) Zips Flag is all about. That is a pathetic illustration of how miserable UA marketing is as a whole. It is no wonder why K.E.N.T. State laughs us off the map. They have every reason to.

I wouldnt be laughing if i was a piece of trash Can't Stater. What is there to be proud of when your campus resembles a little slice of New Jersey in Ohio and it rains all the time?

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldnt be laughing if i was a piece of trash Can't Stater. What is there to be proud of when your campus resembles a little slice of New Jersey in Ohio and it rains all the time?

Oh come on, I'm as big a rival against K.E.N.T. as much as the next guy, but you've got to be kidding when you put down their beautiful campus. They have a great looking campus. Its rural setting gives it a huge advantage. UA's campus is coming along for being an urban campus but it still has a long way to go and needs to stick to the plan of maintaining its integrity and detached look from the rest of the city. It has a ways to go before it starts really attracting students from out of state who want to live and recreate on a beautiful and self-contained urban campus. That was the main thrust of the new on-campus stadium and that trend needs to continue much much more than where the UA campus is presently. This is one reason why the new arena needs to be in the heart of the campus and not off-campus in downtown Crackron.

Funny that isn't the conversation was having with me last week....the neighbor whose son has recently made the decision to go to Akron after touring Can't State, Ohio Northern, Ohio State and Toledo along with Akron. Each campus was amazingly disappointing and felt old and broken down. His depiction of the parents tour of Ohio State dorms was the best...he told me they showed them a dorm with shower curtains for closet doors, no security for your stuff, and the best was when they told him the dorms didn't have air conditioning was because they didn't need it. He pointed out he lived 2 hours north and he needs air conditioning before the end of the school year and the tour guide actually told him the students don't complain.

Oh come on, I'm as big a rival against K.E.N.T. as much as the next guy, but you've got to be kidding when you put down their beautiful campus. They have a great looking campus. Its rural setting gives it a huge advantage. UA's campus is coming along for being an urban campus but it still has a long way to go and needs to stick to the plan of maintaining its integrity and detached look from the rest of the city. It has a ways to go before it starts really attracting students from out of state who want to live and recreate on a beautiful and self-contained urban campus. That was the main thrust of the new on-campus stadium and that trend needs to continue much much more than where the UA campus is presently. This is one reason why the new arena needs to be in the heart of the campus and not off-campus in downtown Crackron.

If you ask any of the freshmen (or anyone from the school) the increase in student body has everything to do with the look of campus. It's already paying dividends.

To say Can't has "a nice campus" is to say that "a swamp is a great place to live".

In no means am I saying that Akron is vastly superior (we still have a lot of work ahead of us), but at least we have "fresh and new" and the looks of a general purpose. Can't is probably the worst looking campus in the state it is just a cluster F of buildings.

The problem, as I see it, with Marketing the University right now is that we are at a point where we really don't know what we are anymore. We don't exactly fit the mold of a commuter school/quasi-glorified community college. Thankfully those days are gone (though you wouldn't know it by talking to a certain population of the Akron Community). The problem is that we aren't exactly a residential high level University yet either. If you don't really know what kind of a University you are, it makes it very difficult to figure out what your target audience is. Are you trying to target students who live on campus? If so, there may or may not be enough of them yet to make a substantial impact at sporting events. Are you going after the crowd of commuters who live within walking distance of the University? If so you may need to come up with a different message for this group to attract them to games than what you need to attract the residential crowd. You would need an entirely different message if you are looking to attract those students who drive in from the outer regions of Akron and the surrounding suburbs. You would probably need yet another program to attract the community (non-students) at large.

These are all issues that a good, focused marketing department SHOULD be able to deal with, but you have to admit, it makes it more difficult. A school like an Ohio State or even an OU doesn't exactly have this problem. They know what they are, how to market to their students and the surrounding community and they have done it for a long time. Being in this transition period as a campus only increases the difficulty for our marketing department.

The problem, as I see it, with Marketing the University right now is that we are at a point where we really don't know what we are anymore. We don't exactly fit the mold of a commuter school/quasi-glorified community college. Thankfully those days are gone (though you wouldn't know it by talking to a certain population of the Akron Community). The problem is that we aren't exactly a residential high level University yet either. If you don't really know what kind of a University you are, it makes it very difficult to figure out what your target audience is. Are you trying to target students who live on campus? If so, there may or may not be enough of them yet to make a substantial impact at sporting events. Are you going after the crowd of commuters who live within walking distance of the University? If so you may need to come up with a different message for this group to attract them to games than what you need to attract the residential crowd. You would need an entirely different message if you are looking to attract those students who drive in from the outer regions of Akron and the surrounding suburbs. You would probably need yet another program to attract the community (non-students) at large.

These are all issues that a good, focused marketing department SHOULD be able to deal with, but you have to admit, it makes it more difficult. A school like an Ohio State or even an OU doesn't exactly have this problem. They know what they are, how to market to their students and the surrounding community and they have done it for a long time. Being in this transition period as a campus only increases the difficulty for our marketing department.

Focused marketings was a good point.

With all of the tools available today, it isn't hard to target groups of people. Plus it is cheaper and more effective. For example google adwords can be focused on a radius by street addy, zip code. If you are targeted a specific demographic, and you know where they live, your google adwords map can look like the after effects of a shotgun blast.

The problem is deciding on who it is you want to target and how you want to do it. Marketing to niche-demographics is exploding. Twitter just added advertising. I wonder how much it will cost to advertise on twitter.com/kentstateuniv about Akron's academic offerings?

If you ask any of the freshmen (or anyone from the school) the increase in student body has everything to do with the look of campus. It's already paying dividends.

To say Can't has "a nice campus" is to say that "a swamp is a great place to live".

In no means am I saying that Akron is vastly superior (we still have a lot of work ahead of us), but at least we have "fresh and new" and the looks of a general purpose. Can't is probably the worst looking campus in the state it is just a cluster F of buildings.

If you read my post carefully, you will see that you and I agree on the improvements with UA's campus. I don't need to ask any of the freshmen or anyone from the school about something they and I already know to be true. Where you and I are miles and miles apart is our view of Can't State's campus. It can hardly be compared to a swamp or dubbed the worse looking campus in the state and it is certainly in no way a cluster F of buildings.

Your statements are off the wall, over the top and lead me to believe that you have never set eyes or feet on Can't State's campus... or you've turned a rivalry into an object of hate and that emotion has contaminated your ability to be objective in your observations. We can give Can't State credit where credit is due and still be loyal to UA along with supporting its continued authentic campus development and being proud of its physical evolution.

If you read my post carefully, you will see that you and I agree on the improvements with UA's campus. I don't need to ask any of the freshmen or anyone from the school about something they and I already know to be true. Where you and I are miles and miles apart is our view of Can't State's campus. It can hardly be compared to a swamp or dubbed the worse looking campus in the state and it is certainly in no way a cluster F of buildings.

Your statements are off the wall, over the top and lead me to believe that you have never set eyes or feet on Can't State's campus... or you've turned a rivalry into an object of hate and that emotion has contaminated your ability to be objective in your observations. We can give Can't State credit where credit is due and still be loyal to UA along with supporting its continued authentic campus development and being proud of its physical evolution.

You seem to envy Can't for some reason. But yes Can't is probably the worst looking campus in the state. It probably goes something like this, Miami, OSU, Ohio, BGSU, Toledo, Akron, Can't (If you include YSU and CSU then maybe Can't is a little better). But it honestly is just a cluster of buildings with no actual design or flow to campus.

accessmap_lg.gif

See how there is no flow to the campus at all. And to say that it is not a "swamp" is to neglect that it is indeed a swamp. It is built on a swamp, the cities of Stow and Can't are swamps.

Compare Can't to the other schools, really compare them.

By the way, to assume I've never been on Can't's campus proves your ignorance. I've been on every (major) campus in the state and some of the smaller ones (Wooster, Mount Union, ONU). My friend was in the honors Architecture program at Can't, we spent as much time there as we did in Akron. That was when UA had no campus we had buildings and streets. Some day you will really have to try giving another view point a chance, you really will.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle

g-mann17,

Judging by your last post, I'd say that your hostility toward K.E.N.T. is just the tip of the ice burg. Your posts expose your MO of being hostile toward anyone who disagrees with you. Your loaded language coupled withy your preconceived negative notions tend to give you away. Also, the site which you provided is only a cursory diagram at best of the K.S.U. campus. It is not an aerial photo or even a drawing of the actual campus. Your dishonesty continues to shine bright.

Recognizing positive aspects in one's opponent is not envy; it's mature and open minded. That you have to distort that reality by calling it envy shows your penchant for invective and dishonesty. And may I suggest the next time you want to accuse someone of not giving another point of view a chance, take yourself over to a mirror and gaze into it. Projecting your faults onto another is an ugly way to live out your life. It really is.

That I was lead to believe/suspect the possibility that you were never on K.E.N.T.'s campus is not about my making an assumption or ignorance. It is rather an illustration of how outrageous and ignorant your claims about K.E.N.T.'s campus truly are.

As opposed to your distortion of the truth, here is what I actually posted:

"Your statements are off the wall, over the top and lead me to believe that you have never set eyes or feet on Can't State's campus... or you've turned a rivalry into an object of hate and that emotion has contaminated your ability to be objective in your observations."

And to further correct your dishonst depiction of my response, I never said K.E.N.T. wasn't a swamp. I said, "it can hardly be compared to a swamp" (more of your dishonesty). And again, I will say K.E.N.T. State cannot be compared to a swamp. It is not a swamp. That it was built on one, is irrelevant. A large portion of The University of Akron was built on a cemetery. I guess according to your mentality, that makes UA a cemetery with no life to it.

And, you are right about one thing; it is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. Now, if you can only get beyond lip sinking this quote and stop being a Jonny-one-note, perhaps people will start taking you seriously. You seem proud of your gloat claiming to be on every major campus in the state. I can tell; it shows. I imagine your goal is to one day have others be impressed with that claim as much as you are...that is if you can first get them to believe that you actually were, judging from all the other untrue claims you've made in this thread.

Haha, you must live in a fantasy world to think that Can't has a nice campus. That or you haven't actually been there.

It has a ways to go before it starts really attracting students from out of state who want to live and recreate on a beautiful and self-contained urban campus.

20081204mfmarshall_2_160.jpg

You guys must have two different visions of what a campus should look like.

I see Can't's buildings butted up to main roads, separated by parking lots, and I see a less blighted less urban Cleveland State.

I see Akron's walking corridors, park settings, everything self contained, IMO it's more relaxed.

Granted the long walk from the perimeter parking to a classroom in the center of campus can be a real pain in subzero wind chill conditions. But stopping by the ballpark and catching a few innings of baseball, soccer practice, or working out between classes is very relaxing IMO. If you're in a highly stressful program it's a definite plus.

That's just my impressions of Can't, from going to games and going to fire school there awhile back. Maybe they're off base, but you know how first impressions can be...