Marketing

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no way one can legitimately claim that the UA campus requires them to walk a long way from a parking facility to the center of campus. UA is not that big of a campus when you compare it to others like K.E.N.T. While UA has a nice campus, it is still a dinky little campus. The Roo Express is hardly necessary and only exists as a marketing ploy and spin. I like what UA has done to its campus and have nothing against the marketing strategy of the Roo Express. However, UA has a very far way to go if it wants to measure up to anything close to the K.E.N.T. campus. I was a grad student there and most of the buildings are not butted up against main roads. On the contrary, most of the buildings are surrounded by acres of grass and trees. It is a classic rural and beautiful campus. And, if UA wants to compete with it and supass it, more power to UA. But in order for that to happen UA must assess its opposition with honesty and objectivity if it wants to emerge victorious. There is nothing to be gained by disingenuous, jealous, childish and dishonest appraisals of our rival's campus. If you don't understand this philosophy, I suggest you talk to Caleb Porter or Keith Dambrot. The best way to beat your opponent is to be honest about your opponent's qualities and then you become closer to overcoming and supassing those qualities. Engaging in silly accusations about the K.E.N.T. campus makes Akron people and UA look small and petty.

I hope that one day the UA campus will excell beyond the K.E.N.T campus and other major campuses in the US, but right now, we need to be honest about our need for greater campus evolution. It slays me when I hear how people on this site want the UA campus to look great yet don't realize they are shooting themselves and the university in the foot by advocating for an off-campus downtown arena. Such a plan would spell out doom for any possibility of a truer looking campus for The University of Akron...and the same goes for the stupid looking Polsky Building. You can't have a truer looking campus and compete with K.S.U.'s campus while advocating for a Cleveland State look at the same time. In no way does a downtown, off- campus arena lend itself to a self-contained looking campus.

There is no way one can legitimately claim that the UA campus requires them to walk a long way from a parking facility to the center of campus. UA is not that big of a campus when you compare it to others like K.E.N.T. While UA has a nice campus, it is still a dinky little campus. The Roo Express is hardly necessary and only exists as a marketing ploy and spin. I like what UA has done to its campus and have nothing against the marketing strategy of the Roo Express. However, UA has a very far way to go if it wants to measure up to anything close to the K.E.N.T. campus. I was a grad student there and most of the buildings are not butted up against main roads. On the contrary, most of the buildings are surrounded by acres of grass and trees. It is a classic rural and beautiful campus. And, if UA wants to compete with it and supass it, more power to UA. But in order for that to happen UA must assess its opposition with honesty and objectivity if it wants to emerge victorious. There is nothing to be gained by disingenuous, jealous, childish and dishonest appraisals of our rival's campus. If you don't understand this philosophy, I suggest you talk to Caleb Porter or Keith Dambrot. The best way to beat your opponent is to be honest about your opponent's qualities and then you become closer to overcoming and supassing those qualities. Engaging in silly accusations about the K.E.N.T. campus makes Akron people and UA look small and petty.

I hope that one day the UA campus will excell beyond the K.E.N.T campus and other major campuses in the US, but right now, we need to be honest about our need for greater campus evolution. It slays me when I hear how people on this site want the UA campus to look great yet don't realize they are shooting themselves and the university in the foot by advocating for an off-campus downtown arena. Such a plan would spell out doom for any possibility of a truer looking campus for The University of Akron...and the same goes for the stupid looking Polsky Building. You can't have a truer looking campus and compete with K.S.U.'s campus while advocating for a Cleveland State look at the same time. In no way does a downtown, off- campus arena lend itself to a self-contained looking campus.

Why do you have such a big boner for Can't?

You do realize that the campus is dreary and poorly designed right? It's a lot like what Akron's campus used to be before the renovations of the last decade or so.

Also, you're whole "the roo express is a marketing ploy" is asinine as i know many people that ride it almost every day from their off campus housing (including myself).

With all of these claims it makes me wonder if you have actually been to Akron's campus in the past few years or if you are just some Can't Stater pretending to be an Akron fan.

Why do you have such a big boner for Can't?

You do realize that the campus is dreary and poorly designed right? It's a lot like what Akron's campus used to be before the renovations of the last decade or so.

Also, you're whole "the roo express is a marketing ploy" is asinine as i know many people that ride it almost every day from their off campus housing (including myself).

With all of these claims it makes me wonder if you have actually been to Akron's campus in the past few years or if you are just some Can't Stater pretending to be an Akron fan.

Why do you have such a huge leak in your brain?

Are you delusional and paranoid or are you just an immature, antagonistic troll? Some of your conclusions make you one creepy scank. The only people who ride the Roo Express are lazy fat asses.

"You do realize that the campus is dreary and poorly designed right? It's a lot like what Akron's campus used to be before the renovations of the last decade or so."

This statement either shows you for the nutball that you are or exposes you as a lying troll. Of all the absurd statements that are totally on the opposite side of reality, this one takes the cake. As I said, come back to this site when you've earned the right to be taken seriously. Your statments lead me to believe that you are an escapee from a local mental institution who hasn't graduated from high school let alone attend any college.

What a frigging BAFOON! BTW, the correct grammar is, "including me" not "including myself".

Also, the claim that buildings butt right up against main roads is to describe The University of Akron and not K.E.N.T. State. Let's list those buildings on the UA campus that butt up against main roads. They are: The College of Business Administration, C.Blake McDowell Hall (Law School), E.J. Thomas Hall, Guzetta Hall, Quaker Square, The Polsky Building, Simmons Hall, The Polymer Science Academic Center, the new Polymer Engineering Research Center currently being constructed, The Honors Complex, The College of Arts and Sciences, Hower House, The Center for Counseling (which by the way, a few on here desperately need to visit), The Exchange Street Dorms, Galluci Hall, The Town Houses, InfoCision Stadium, The new multi-plex student apartments being built next to the stadium, The Ocasek Natatorium, The Firestone Conservatory, The Lincoln Street Building, Shrank Hall, West Hall, The Chemistry Building along with its adjacent parking lot and Buckingham Hall.

UA needs to spread itself out and get the overwhelming majority of its buildings away from main roads in Akron. Right now most of its building are crammed into a very tiny area of land. Even the administrators state that they are landlocked. UA has come a long way but in no way does the campus come even close to measuring up to more authentic looking campuses in the state. To say so is not having a hard on for other campuses. It's just stating facts, ladies!

I get your obvious pride in Cant State, that's probably admirable among Cant alimni.

But when you come into a Zip forum, don't take anything anyone says seriously if you don't agree, and have to resort to blatant insults to hide your ignorance of U of A's campus, any reply is a waste of our time.

Are you delusional and paranoid or are you just an immature, antagonistic troll? Some of your conclusions make you one creepy scank. The only people who ride the Roo Express are lazy fat asses.

I have a couple dozen friends who ride the Roo Express every day. Some of them live in Quaker Square, some in Buchtel Place, and some in Gallucci Hall. There is no easy way to get from Quaker to anywhere else, especially with the Mill Street bridge out, and no one wants to walk in the areas around Gallucci or Buchtel Place when they get out of their evening classes. I've also known people to take it down to Canal Park for the Aeros games and from some of the farther out parking lots, especially when there's a foot of snow on the ground. I'm not sure you can call it a "marketing ploy" if tons of students use it every day...

http://www.uakron.edu/aux/parking/shuttle-routes.php

I have a couple dozen friends who ride the Roo Express every day. Some of them live in Quaker Square, some in Buchtel Place, and some in Gallucci Hall. There is no easy way to get from Quaker to anywhere else, especially with the Mill Street bridge out, and no one wants to walk in the areas around Gallucci or Buchtel Place when they get out of their evening classes. I've also known people to take it down to Canal Park for the Aeros games and from some of the farther out parking lots, especially when there's a foot of snow on the ground. I'm not sure you can call it a "marketing ploy" if tons of students use it every day...

Just because students use it (and not tons of students) doesn't mean it is not a marketing ploy. I don't care who uses it or how many use it, it is not a necessary service when one considers the dinky size of the UA campus. Again, it's really no big deal to me. UA is entitled to its marketing strategies. I'm just not going to go along with the position that UA has such a booming metropolis of a campus that it needs its own bus service. It is just not true.

I get your obvious pride in Cant State, that's probably admirable among Cant alimni.

But when you come into a Zip forum, don't take anything anyone says seriously if you don't agree, and have to resort to blatant insults to hide your ignorance of U of A's campus, any reply is a waste of our time.

Grow up and quit using the plural "we". You only speak for yourself. Saying I have pride in the Can't State campus because I recognize its qualities and refuse to lie like the little brat you are is like saying that coach Dambrot has pride in the opposing teams because he recognizes their strengths on the court as a means to build a better Zips basketball team. So, stop showing your blatant ignorance of how the competitive process works. You are wasting our time on this forum. As far as this forum goes, I am by far the most knowledgeable of the UA campus. You are obviously ignorant of that as well. And, I am sure I am wasting your time with anything that represents the truth and intelligence. You've made it clear that you're not interested in either.

"Are you delusional and paranoid or are you just an immature, antagonistic troll?" "one creepy scank" "lazy fat asses" "an escapee from a local mental institution" "What a frigging BAFOON!" "The Center for Counseling (which by the way, a few on here desperately need to visit)" "like the little brat you are"

Are you still in the third grade? Because that's the latest in life that one thinks another is intelligent for using such debate tactics.

"I am by far the most knowledgeable of the UA campus. You are obviously ignorant of that as well."

Chest thumping too, I'm impressed!!! We've moved up to 5th grade now.

Maybe you are knowledgeable, but your insults and put downs just give the impression that you're really childish...

"Oh come on, I'm as big a rival against K.E.N.T. as much as the next guy, but you've got to be kidding when you put down their beautiful campus. They have a great looking campus. Its rural setting gives it a huge advantage."

"On the contrary, most of the buildings are surrounded by acres of grass and trees. It is a classic rural and beautiful campus"

Here you assume that everybody wants to attend a "rural" campus.That everybody's idea of a perfect educational setting matches yours. Sorry to deflate your ego a little, but that is simply not true. And to be accurate, Can't is not a rural campus, it's a small town campus. Big difference. ..

"There is no way one can legitimately claim that the UA campus requires them to walk a long way from a parking facility to the center of campus. UA is not that big of a campus when you compare it to others like K.E.N.T. "

Walk with me one day with the load of books and equipment and uniforms I carry. In high winds and subzero weather.

"While UA has a nice campus, it is still a dinky little campus".

So, you say we shouldn't criticize Can't, then criticize Akron over and over again for having everything in one place. Again you are assuming everybody wants to attend a campus with "beautiful parks and trees and statues of squirrels" between where you are and where you're going. There are several advantages to having everything right there, I gave a couple that you ignored...

But stopping by the ballpark and catching a few innings of baseball, soccer practice, or working out between classes is very relaxing IMO. If you're in a highly stressful program it's a definite plus.

Then, you jump on the Roo Express.

"The Roo Express is hardly necessary and only exists as a marketing ploy and spin."

You obviously don't take into account the spread out residential areas, Polsky building, Quaker Square, the lively bars and restaurants you claim UA doesn't have, the entertainment downtown (professional baseball, concerts, festivals, art), and everywhere else. Not the least has been mentioned by someone else, urban life does bring with it security concerns. True, Akron fans and students don't have to crowd into a bus to go to football games, but during the week the Roo Express is a highly used link.

And you thought nobody would notice how you skated around my reply to:

It has a ways to go before it starts really attracting students from out of state who want to live and recreate on a beautiful and self-contained urban campus.

20081204mfmarshall_2_160.jpg

"I was a grad student there and most of the buildings are not butted up against main roads."

That five lane state highway is just a mirage...

"Engaging in silly accusations about the K.E.N.T. campus makes Akron people and UA look small and petty."

Never mind the fact you just spent all day doing just that.

"and the same goes for the stupid looking Polsky Building."

You do realize the Polsky Building is local landmark, and serves a much different purpose than the main campus does.

"So, stop showing your blatant ignorance of how the competitive process works."

Oh I completely understand how the competitive process works. I do want Akron's campus to improve and become the best in the state, best in the world. But I don't want it to be like Can't. If I liked Can't's atmosphere, I would have gone to Can't. You're comparing apples to oranges, trying to make an inner city campus look like a cow-town college. We need to look at Cleveland State, Youngstown State, Toledo, Ohio State, Pittsburgh. That's our comparison, other urban campuses. Not Can't.

You need to get past the fact that Akron students had a choice between the two, and chose Akron. Can't students had a choice and chose Can't. Not everybody thinks like you, or acts like you (thank God). Not everybody shares your vision of what a college campus should be like. If we dislike the rural setting, actually a small town setting if you wanted to be accurate, as much as you seem to loath the urban setting, well that's just our opinion. And all the insults and chest thumping in the world isn't going to change that.

Can't has a nicer campus. There, I said it. If you're at akron, and want to go play frisbee/catch/football, where do you go? honestly? Coleman Commons, with the big bumps in the middle? The track practice field? If there isn't a track practice, it's down to that place or the old softball field. We need more "green space," if you will. I think one day, pretty soon actually, our campus will be nicer, a lot nicer. But right now, I just don't see it. As an out of state kid that lives on campus, our food options are pretty limited. Everything closes at like 6. Not many places to go outside for stuff. I don't know, I feel like we still have a ways to go.

Just because students use it (and not tons of students) doesn't mean it is not a marketing ploy. I don't care who uses it or how many use it, it is not a necessary service when one considers the dinky size of the UA campus. Again, it's really no big deal to me. UA is entitled to its marketing strategies. I'm just not going to go along with the position that UA has such a booming metropolis of a campus that it needs its own bus service. It is just not true.

Like usual, your arguments make no sense.

"Are you delusional and paranoid or are you just an immature, antagonistic troll?" "one creepy scank" "lazy fat asses" "an escapee from a local mental institution" "What a frigging BAFOON!" "The Center for Counseling (which by the way, a few on here desperately need to visit)" "like the little brat you are"

Are you still in the third grade? Because that's the latest in life that one thinks another is intelligent for using such debate tactics.

"I am by far the most knowledgeable of the UA campus. You are obviously ignorant of that as well."

Maybe you are knowledgeable, but your insults and put downs just give the impression that you're really childish...

"Oh come on, I'm as big a rival against K.E.N.T. as much as the next guy, but you've got to be kidding when you put down their beautiful campus. They have a great looking campus. Its rural setting gives it a huge advantage."

"On the contrary, most of the buildings are surrounded by acres of grass and trees. It is a classic rural and beautiful campus"

Here you assume that everybody wants to attend a "rural" campus.That everybody's idea of a perfect educational setting matches yours. Sorry to deflate your ego a little, but that is simply not true. And to be accurate, Can't is not a rural campus, it's a small town campus. Big difference. ..

"There is no way one can legitimately claim that the UA campus requires them to walk a long way from a parking facility to the center of campus. UA is not that big of a campus when you compare it to others like K.E.N.T. "

Walk with me one day with the load of books and equipment and uniforms I carry. In high winds and subzero weather.

So, you say we shouldn't criticize Can't, then criticize Akron over and over again for having everything in one place. Again you are assuming everybody wants to attend a campus with "beautiful parks and trees and statues of squirrels" between where you are and where you're going. There are several advantages to having everything right there, I gave a couple that you ignored...

But stopping by the ballpark and catching a few innings of baseball, soccer practice, or working out between classes is very relaxing IMO. If you're in a highly stressful program it's a definite plus.

"The Roo Express is hardly necessary and only exists as a marketing ploy and spin."

You obviously don't take into account the spread out residential areas, Polsky building, Quaker Square, the lively bars and restaurants you claim UA doesn't have, the entertainment downtown (professional baseball, concerts, festivals, art), and everywhere else. Not the least has been mentioned by someone else, urban life does bring with it security concerns. True, Akron fans and students don't have to crowd into a bus to go to football games, but during the week the Roo Express is a highly used link.

It has a ways to go before it starts really attracting students from out of state who want to live and recreate on a beautiful and self-contained urban campus.

"I was a grad student there and most of the buildings are not butted up against main roads."

"Engaging in silly accusations about the K.E.N.T. campus makes Akron people and UA look small and petty."

You do realize the Polsky Building is local landmark, and serves a much different purpose than the main campus does.

Oh I completely understand how the competitive process works. I do want Akron's campus to improve and become the best in the state, best in the world. But I don't want it to be like Can't. If I liked Can't's atmosphere, I would have gone to Can't. You're comparing apples to oranges, trying to make an inner city campus look like a cow-town college. We need to look at Cleveland State, Youngstown State, Toledo, Ohio State, Pittsburgh. That's our comparison, other urban campuses. Not Can't.

You need to get past the fact that Akron students had a choice between the two, and chose Akron. Can't students had a choice and chose Can't. Not everybody thinks like you, or acts like you (thank God). Not everybody shares your vision of what a college campus should be like. If we dislike the rural setting, actually a small town setting if you wanted to be accurate, as much as you seem to loath the urban setting, well that's just our opinion. And all the insults and chest thumping in the world isn't going to change that.

+1000000000000000000000000000000000

Couldn't have said it better. Actually wouldn't have because i dont usually take the time to respond in depth to Can't trolls on this site. Thanks though for doing the dirty work Spin.

+1000000000000000000000000000000000

Couldn't have said it better. Actually wouldn't have because i dont usually take the time to respond in depth to Can't trolls on this site. Thanks though for doing the dirty work Spin.

See that's your problem. You don't listen to people. Instead, you put words in their mouths and exagerate if not lie. I never said that UA shoud look like Can't. I said that Can't has a beautiful campus. They can mutually exist and look great without being the same even in your all or nothing juvenile world. And I did not spend "all day" doing anything on this site. And where did I say i loath an urban setting? You are quite the kook who likes to make up your own opposition and then argue with your own words. The fact that the Polsky Buidling is a nice piece of architecture does not make it a land mark and even if it is, it can remain one w/o UA owning it. I think you really are one intellectually dishonest person who can't argue himself out of a wet paper bag.

God, I do hope that you are not a graduate of UA or even attend there. You would be quite an embarassment if you are.

And that 5 lane state highway is not up against the majority of Can't buildings and you know it. Perhaps you believe all the building at UA are butted up against Exchange too. Saying so would be just as moronic. And my saying that Can't 's campus has an advantage over Akron is not the same as assuming everyone wants to go there over Akron, Again, you love to argue dishonestly.

The Roo express is a marketing ploy and it is working. That students are using it makes it a successful marketing ploy, but it still is a marketing ploy. UA is still a dinky campus but it is growing and I hope it continues to grow. And as far as urban campuses go, I happen to believe it is one of the best looking in the nation and possible the world.

Like usual, your arguments make no sense.

No, as usual, your one dimensional, "we vs. they" childish thinking prevents you from understanding simple mature discussion.

Can't has a nicer campus. There, I said it. If you're at akron, and want to go play frisbee/catch/football, where do you go? honestly? Coleman Commons, with the big bumps in the middle? The track practice field? If there isn't a track practice, it's down to that place or the old softball field. We need more "green space," if you will. I think one day, pretty soon actually, our campus will be nicer, a lot nicer. But right now, I just don't see it. As an out of state kid that lives on campus, our food options are pretty limited. Everything closes at like 6. Not many places to go outside for stuff. I don't know, I feel like we still have a ways to go.

Thanks for that honest observation. That your support for UA is honest and not blind makes you a better UA fan than all the sincophants on this site. The one reason why UA has grown in such a positive direction is because it has the will and the capacity to see ite deficits and make changes in order to correct them.

Growth first comes from and honest assessment of our weaknesses and not from slamming our rival with groundless, ignorant, dishonest and uninformed accusations. I believe, UA can and will add much more green space and may one day rival k.s.u.'s campus. But right now, there is no real comparison.

I hope you don't have anything to do with the University of Akron because I don't want to be associated with someone who has to resort to name calling to get his point across, and then lying when called out on it.

You have written post after post criticizing Akron's campus, how beautiful Can't's is, and how we should bow down and ask for forgiveness to the bronze squirrel for ever criticizing it. Then you come back and say you never said anything about Akron, that it's the best urban campus in the nation. Then in the next post you rip it apart again. So not only are you childish, you're also a liar.

And you call me juvenile.

And, one more time, Polsky is not part of the main campus. Here's a shocker, Wayne College isn't either. Because Wayne's building doesn't fit with the buildings on main campus means Akron shouldn't own it, by your way of thinking. It's a different setting, genius.

Definition of "Landmark" In modern usage, a landmark includes anything that is easily recognizable, such as a monument, building, or other structure. In American English it is the main term used to designate places that might be of interest to tourists due to notable physical features or historical significance. It's easily recognizable by anyone who knows Akron from their left hand, and it has historical significance as a major retail store for almost a century. Again, if you don't know crap about Akron, have no fond memories of Polsky's, then it doesn't have any historical significance to you. You. Not a vast number of Akron area natives. You. And to tell you the truth, we couldn't care less what you think.

Debating whether Akron needs a downtown presence, a "community college", an inner city regional campus, just doesn't sound like fun. I've had enough name calling and story changing for one thread. Just take your lies and your failed attempts at insults and go back to Can't State or whatever rock you crawled out from under.

WOW!! Nice job Spin. I only read a few words at the beginning and I knew immediately that it had to be Jake. I won;t lowere myself to his level. However, I have been associated with the U of A in one shape or form for over 40 years. It has grown and changed and will continue to do so, and will continue to connect thru the Polsky building, which is a part of the campus, contrary to what Jake might think.\

GOOOO ZIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope you don't have anything to do with the University of Akron because I don't want to be associated with someone who has to resort to name calling to get his point across, and then lying when called out on it.

You have written post after post criticizing Akron's campus, how beautiful Can't's is, and how we should bow down and ask for forgiveness to the bronze squirrel for ever criticizing it. Then you come back and say you never said anything about Akron, that it's the best urban campus in the nation. Then in the next post you rip it apart again. So not only are you childish, you're also a liar.

And you call me juvenile.

And, one more time, Polsky is not part of the main campus. Here's a shocker, Wayne College isn't either. Because Wayne's building doesn't fit with the buildings on main campus means Akron shouldn't own it, by your way of thinking. It's a different setting, genius.

Definition of "Landmark" In modern usage, a landmark includes anything that is easily recognizable, such as a monument, building, or other structure. In American English it is the main term used to designate places that might be of interest to tourists due to notable physical features or historical significance. It's easily recognizable by anyone who knows Akron from their left hand, and it has historical significance as a major retail store for almost a century. Again, if you don't know crap about Akron, have no fond memories of Polsky's, then it doesn't have any historical significance to you. You. Not a vast number of Akron area natives. You. And to tell you the truth, we couldn't care less what you think.

Debating whether Akron needs a downtown presence, a "community college", an inner city regional campus, just doesn't sound like fun. I've had enough name calling and story changing for one thread. Just take your lies and your failed attempts at insults and go back to Can't State or whatever rock you crawled out from under.

Do you drop acid often? I can't believe how you've twisted the truth in your post. "Bow down and ask forgiveness of the bronze squirrel"? You are kidding right? And the way you go on about the polsky building, you'd think it was Stan Hewit. No one denies the buidling's history. It's just an obsolete department store and not the Vatican. You are what most people describe as an extremest of the worst kind. You have no dimmer switch. Everything is wonderful or awful. There is no middle grown for you. Can't is Hell and Akron is Heaven. Yes, I'd say juvenile is the best description for you. If I offer constructive criticism, I'm ripping something apart to you. If I deny saying what you said I sad, you claim that I said I never said anything about Akron. No, I did not say I didn't say anything about Akron. I said that I did not say what you said I said about Akron. YOu keep digging that intellectually dishonest hole of yours deeper and deeper.

Yes, I'd say juvenile is the best description for you.

and I'd say "troll" is the best description for you. :D

Is that all you've got? I'd say look in a mirror when you say troll. And let's stop pretending that name calling is beneath you and the other babies on this site. Get some balls, ladies.

Yes, I'd say juvenile is the best description for you.

and I'd say "troll" is the best description for you. :D

Is that all you've got? I'd say look in a mirror when you say troll. And let's stop pretending that name calling is beneath you and the other babies on this site. Get some balls, ladies.

Honestly, i dont see why everyone hates on GP1 so much when they should be hating on "Captain Can't State" aka "Jake". You knock Akron all the time, complain about everything, and are an all around douche.

Go post somewhere else.

Thanks Jake, I needed a good laugh this week. Someone who can't make a point without throwing an insult calling someone else "juvenile" is priceless.

And for the record, I don't hate GP. Don't always agree with him, but certainly don't hate him. I have a lot of respect for his debate abilities. For the most part.

Thanks Jake, I needed a good laugh this week. Someone who can't make a point without throwing an insult calling someone else "juvenile" is priceless.

And your pretending that your retorts arn't filled with insults are even more priceless. Thank you as well, ass hole!