Springfest!

UA is providing a beer garden on campus! There's gonna be a mechanical bull and lazer tag and a velcro wall, and other great things to do after a visit to the beer garden. :CK_brew::cheers:

The AK-Rowdies will be having a parade though campus led by Zippy.

Event details

Two words: HIGH SCHOOL!

UA can do much better than this pathetic attempt at college entertainment. Where are the large scale events that attract thousands of UA students from all walks of life? Used to be that student programmers could attract 3,000 to 4,000 or more diversified students (dormies, commuters, surrounding neighborhood apartment dwellers, Greeks, Blacks, graduate students and undergraduate students, faculty and staff) all to a single big-time events on campus which made UA students feel more unified with a sense of identity and self-sustaining while supplementing the occasion with smaller events that appeal to an eclectic university market. What the Hell has happened to your school? It's no wonder apathy runs wild at The University of Akron. You nerds litigate for apathy at UA by the nature of your programming. It is designed to disintegrate and alienate the student body into miniscule pieces and parts. It is why the student body has virtually no power on that campus anymore. You have dissected yourselves down to the least common denominator. You remind me of an ant farm that has been turned upside down and shaken. I get the same impression when I read your horrible, horrible student newspaper, the Bungleight...blek!

Get it together for Christ's sake. I know the potential is there. UA is growing in so many positive ways but when it comes to student oriented/authored events, you guys come off as students at a workshop for the developmentally disabled. You guys need to get off the short bus.

UA is providing a beer garden on campus! There's gonna be a mechanical bull and lazer tag and a velcro wall, and other great things to do after a visit to the beer garden. :CK_brew::cheers:

Event details

UA can do much better than this pathetic attempt at college entertainment. Where are the large scale events that attract thousands of UA students from all walks of life? Used to be that student programmers could attract 3,000 to 4,000 or more diversified students (dormies, commuters, surrounding neighborhood apartment dwellers, Greeks, Blacks, graduate students and undergraduate students, faculty and staff) all to a single big-time events on campus which made UA students feel more unified with a sense of identity and self-sustaining while supplementing the occasion with smaller events that appeal to an eclectic university market. What the Hell has happened to your school? It's no wonder apathy runs wild at The University of Akron. You nerds litigate for apathy at UA by the nature of your programming. It is designed to disintegrate and alienate the student body into miniscule pieces and parts. It is why the student body has virtually no power on that campus anymore. You have dissected yourselves down to the least common denominator. You remind me of an ant farm that has been turned upside down and shaken. I get the same impression when I read your horrible, horrible student newspaper, the Bungleight...blek!

Get it together for Christ's sake. I know the potential is there. UA is growing in so many positive ways but when it comes to student oriented/authored events, you guys come off as students at a workshop for the developmentally disabled. You guys need to get off the short bus.

Wow, really, as I recall from my time at school there was no campus unification, there was on campus and commuter. Over the last 10 years or so they have made huge leaps in getting commuters back on campus. Why are you on here again?

Event details

Wow, really, as I recall from my time at school there was no campus unification, there was on campus and commuter. Over the last 10 years or so they have made huge leaps in getting commuters back on campus. Why are you on here again?

He is on here to let us know:

1.) Nothing that campus programmers do will ever be as awesome as the events that he and his fellow campus leaders arranged 30 years ago.

2.) The University needs to be transplanted to virgin country so that nothing the University does is associated with the city.

High School? Really? Last I checked my high school didn't promote any such thing... I think high school is the LAST place you'd want a Beer Garden.

In any case, I am actually kinda excited for this event, albeit that I will have to miss it. Its great to see that 1) they are starting to provide more events to unify the campus community, and 2) begin to bring in some legitimate (and popular) music talent to the campus. This is a GREAT idea and Im happy that the University is really pushing forward with a greater campus identity than ever before.

Jake is just a troll; don't feed him. He's got nothing better to do with his day than make a big fuss over absolutely nothing.

Event details

He is on here to let us know:

1.) Nothing that campus programmers do will ever be as awesome as the events that he and his fellow campus leaders arranged 30 years ago.

2.) The University needs to be transplanted to virgin country so that nothing the University does is associated with the city.

Rather than being bitter, jealous and reactionary, why not be inspired and driven to be better than this? Don't be so defensive. Face the music. You're not bringing the campus together. And on the contrary, today's campus programmers can achieve much much more than campus programmers of 20 or 30 years ago. You've got far more resources and support and you're wasting it on rinky dink events that appeal to a very small minority of students. Why aren't you in E.J. Thomas with a major concert that can fill the hall for Springfest? It's your hall and its budget is made up of your money Make it work for you. Why aren't you bringing talented students from the dept of theater and visual arts and music into the loop?. You could be working more with fellow students who can present, symphonies, ballets, plays, art shows and more instead of mimicking The Sun Bar and Grill. Anybody can serve and drink beer. You have beer available to you 24/7. You can incorporate that with new and special events. And there is nothing wrong with taking advantage of what the city and downtown have available to and for you. Why reinvent the wheel and waste energy and resources by doing something that is already being done? Work with the Barley House, Pints and Brubakers to bring UA students into the dowtown area. They have all the beer you want.

It seems apparent that most of you on here have never been to a real campus with real college progammers putting on real college level events. You need to visit OSU, OU, UC and yes even Can't State to see how these major public universities program student oriented events. Get rid of that stupid organization associated with "campus magazine" and its phony awards given to UA for competing with conservative bible thumpng colleges and hole-in-the-wall universities. It's time to take off the diapers Hilltop High.

Rather than being bitter, jealous and reactionary, why not be inspired and driven to be better than this? Don't be so defensive. Face the music. You're not bringing the campus together. And on the contrary, today's campus programmers can achieve much much more than campus programmers of 20 or 30 years ago. You've got far more resources and support and you're wasting it on rinky dink events that appeal to a very small minority of students. Why aren't you in E.J. Thomas with a major concert that can fill the hall for Springfest? It's your hall and its budget is made up of your money Make it work for you. Why aren't you bringing talented students from the dept of theater and visual arts and music into the loop?. You could be working more with fellow students who can present, symphonies, ballets, plays, art shows and more instead of mimicking The Sun Bar and Grill. Anybody can serve and drink beer. You have beer available to you 24/7. You can incorporate that with new and special events. And there is nothing wrong with taking advantage of what the city and downtown have available to and for you. Why reinvent the wheel and waste energy and resources by doing something that is already being done? Work with the Barley House, Pints and Brubakers to bring UA students into the dowtown area. They have all the beer you want.

It seems apparent that most of you on here have never been to a real campus with real college progammers putting on real college level events. You need to visit OSU, OU, UC and yes even Can't State to see how these major public universities program student oriented events. Get rid of that stupid organization associated with "campus magazine" and its phony awards given to UA for competing with conservative bible thumpng colleges and hole-in-the-wall universities. It's time to take off the diapers Hilltop High.

+1+1+1

High School? Really? Last I checked my high school didn't promote any such thing... I think high school is the LAST place you'd want a Beer Garden.

In any case, I am actually kinda excited for this event, albeit that I will have to miss it. Its great to see that 1) they are starting to provide more events to unify the campus community, and 2) begin to bring in some legitimate (and popular) music talent to the campus. This is a GREAT idea and Im happy that the University is really pushing forward with a greater campus identity than ever before.

Jake is just a troll; don't feed him. He's got nothing better to do with his day than make a big fuss over absolutely nothing.

"He's got nothing better to do with his day than make a big fuss over absolutely nothing. "

If anyone is making a fuss over absolutely nothing it is UAZipsmann. That's what this event is...absolutley nothing and zipsman is crowning it a "GREAT idea"...poor little hillbilly. You might get 200 people in attendance if lucky and you dorks will call it a sold-out success. It's right up there with your corny BooAt The Roo! Ooooh riveting!

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, I'm going to side with Jake on this one. He might be confrontational, but he's right. RHPB and the groups who organize campus gatherings dream up the corniest things ever. I'm amazed that the U is even having a beer garden. If they allow this, then why aren't they allowing beer to be sold at the stadium.

And as far as UA not having a 'real campus' experience--you are just wrong Jake. RHPB may be corny but I'm sure that's true at practically every school. The real college experience is skipping the corny events and pounding some beers on Friday night. That's what makes memories. Do you really think anyone looks back and goes, "wow, remember that time back in college when we played the price is right--AKRON STYLE LOL!!!111"? No. They don't.

Just being on campus the past few years, I've witnessed the mindset slowly change. More people staying on the weekend, more parties, etc. As I mentioned on the other thread, give this campus 10 years and the transformation will be complete. We will have a real live college campus. It just takes time. Look how far we have come since 2000!

Im not exactly sure how bringing in legitimate music talent to do an outdoor music fest-type event is corny. Its a hell of a lot better than UA Price is Right or any of that crap. From my perspective (a student), it seems like a lot more time, effort, and money went into this event than any other campus event Ive had the pleasure (and in some cases displeasure) of attending. Prime example: My facebook wall is full of people's statuses saying either how they're going over to springfest today or are really bummed about missing it because of class/work. Not too sure how many times I've seen an RHPB event get that kind of facebook response before, if ever.

k.s.u. sucks, you're pretty much right. The memories from college are from those house parties that go till 4am waking up the next morning wondering what happened. These events are a step in the right direction for the university. The campus is slowly starting to shed that commuter tag that Jake loves to apply and become a real college campus.

These events are a step in the right direction for the university. The campus is slowly starting to shed that commuter tag that Jake loves to apply and become a real college campus.

Yup. And another common complaint is UA's crappy marketing. I've found that most of the t-shirts UA has given away/sold this year are actually really cool. The Whiteout T-shirts were awesome. I also liked the 'beat Can't state' shirts they gave out at the wagon wheel game. And this new shirt for SpringFest is a little girly but it's still a cool shirt. Check it out:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Universi...id=389969200809

I think it's a great way to prevent May Day from ever happenning again. :lol:

Seriously, it looks like a great event for the traditional student, to celebrate the end of the school year. A lot better than burning furniture (and houses) and rolling police cars. If I could have stuck around I would have. But I saw enough softball to last me a lifetime (has BGSU ever HEARD of simple fundamentals?). The baseball game was still 2 hours away. And I spent enough idle time on that campus this year...

It looks like a really fun event, for the current traditional student. But there's nothing there any time of the year to bring back alimni, to bring in the non-traditional student, and their family, the commuter student.

"He's got nothing better to do with his day than make a big fuss over absolutely nothing. "

If anyone is making a fuss over absolutely nothing it is UAZipsmann. That's what this event is...absolutley nothing and zipsman is crowning it a "GREAT idea"...poor little hillbilly. You might get 200 people in attendance if lucky and you dorks will call it a sold-out success. It's right up there with your corny BooAt The Roo! Ooooh riveting!

You were wrong AGAIN.

There are thousands of people here right now and there was a GREAT crowd at the softball games earlier.

GO BACK TO Can't!

Over ten thousand students here on campus celebrating Springfest. A band from Columbus called Red Wanting Blue is playing on one of the two stages set up. Look at Coleman Commons and tons of kids sitting on the grass at a concert makes me realize how great of a small concert venue that place actually is. Almost on par with Lock 3.

Fireworks are tonight at 10:00, launching from the top of the new parking deck.

Springfest was awesome...plain and simple. Great job RHPB, I'm looking forward to next year. Doubters were wrong!

agreed. It was a huge success.

I think the idea was to deter kids from partying for mayday, which will never happen but it was a great time nonetheless and should be even better next year.

Springfest was awesome...plain and simple. Great job RHPB, I'm looking forward to next year. Doubters were wrong!

I think the idea was to deter kids from partying for mayday, which will never happen but it was a great time nonetheless and should be even better next year.

Yeah, the partying may be more now that people didn't go home for the weekend. But yeah it was an awesome time today. The softball games were exciting, the beer garden was a good setup, Red Wanting Blue was fantastic to finish off the night and the fireworks were top notch.

Just a great job by the University. I don't get to say it much, but today they outdid themselves.

Im gonna go out on a limb here and say the almighty Jake chose not to attend this event because it was planned by the lowly RHPB and figured it would have been a total flop with no more than 100 people come out. Where ya at now, Jake?! :tomato:

GREAT event. I can't say Ive seen this many students come out for a single campus event like this in a LONG time. Bands were good (esp Red Wanting Blue - Ive seen them a few times down at Barley House), the games were fun, and the beer garden.. well, let's just hope this is a taste of whats to come for the football season. It was very well done and the fireworks were just icing on the cake. I think we can all rest assured that the University and RHPB weren't a lost cause at their abilities to get students to come out for events like that.

It was actually most funny to be hearing all the students asking "why don't I remember this happening last year" or "is this the first year for this event?", a clear indicator of the students' enjoyment of the event to ask themselves why they haven't come out before.

See Jake... The University isn't this lost cause you claim it to be! :D

Yeah, the partying may be more now that people didn't go home for the weekend. But yeah it was an awesome time today. The softball games were exciting, the beer garden was a good setup, Red Wanting Blue was fantastic to finish off the night and the fireworks were top notch.

Just a great job by the University. I don't get to say it much, but today they outdid themselves.

+1

Unfortunately, I'm going to side with Jake on this one. He might be confrontational, but he's right. RHPB and the groups who organize campus gatherings dream up the corniest things ever. I'm amazed that the U is even having a beer garden. If they allow this, then why aren't they allowing beer to be sold at the stadium.

And as far as UA not having a 'real campus' experience--you are just wrong Jake. RHPB may be corny but I'm sure that's true at practically every school. The real college experience is skipping the corny events and pounding some beers on Friday night. That's what makes memories. Do you really think anyone looks back and goes, "wow, remember that time back in college when we played the price is right--AKRON STYLE LOL!!!111"? No. They don't.

Just being on campus the past few years, I've witnessed the mindset slowly change. More people staying on the weekend, more parties, etc. As I mentioned on the other thread, give this campus 10 years and the transformation will be complete. We will have a real live college campus. It just takes time. Look how far we have come since 2000!

Check your memory bank. This "price is right thing" is something I wouldn't give the time of day to. And there is an ocean of space between "the price is right akron style" and drinking beer. I think you are redefining things a bit. Drinking beer is fine on a college campus. The thing is, you don't need a program board to do it. Try reaching a middle ground between something as corny as the Price is right and something as common place as drinking beer. While beer drinking isn't corny, it is certainly common place and is only considered an "event" on college campuses with little to nothing to do. And why wait 10 years to put on events that you can program today, if not last year. You have the facilities, use them for crying out loud. Conceptually, Springfest is great. Now all you need to do is make it great in practice. You have a brand new 30,000 plus seat stadium and a 3,000 seat performing arts hall. Why not add a couple of big time events using these two campus sub-venues to what you already have going for you in Sprinfest 2011? This is not a "can't do" situation. So far it's a "WON'T DO". And when I say use the stadium, I mean put something in there that is worthy of a 40 thousand seat facility and not some stupid "battle of the bands" from the bars or your stupid rock the roo shit. Work with a promoter and book major national attractions that will fill the place. Don't do the ususal crap of putting in a group that is dwarfed by the stadium. You can do it all you have to do is want to.

Oh, and I see where the dept of communication is taking over your stinky student newspaper. That should tell you something right there. You guys are a mess.

Im gonna go out on a limb here and say the almighty Jake chose not to attend this event because it was planned by the lowly RHPB and figured it would have been a total flop with no more than 100 people come out. Where ya at now, Jake?! :tomato:

GREAT event. I can't say Ive seen this many students come out for a single campus event like this in a LONG time. Bands were good (esp Red Wanting Blue - Ive seen them a few times down at Barley House), the games were fun, and the beer garden.. well, let's just hope this is a taste of whats to come for the football season. It was very well done and the fireworks were just icing on the cake. I think we can all rest assured that the University and RHPB weren't a lost cause at their abilities to get students to come out for events like that.

It was actually most funny to be hearing all the students asking "why don't I remember this happening last year" or "is this the first year for this event?", a clear indicator of the students' enjoyment of the event to ask themselves why they haven't come out before.

As always...with the dishonest accusations. I am the last person to call UA a lost cause. You are such the reactionary aren't you? I heard your fireworks. They were great. Can't say much for the rest of the parochial entertainment. How many did you draw... what a woppin 200 - 600 students out of almost 30,000? Nice try but no cigar. UA is not a lost cause. That has been my point all along. It just needs some students who are willing to program with a more inclusive attitude. For cyrying out loud UA is 140 years old. What are you dinasours waiting for? Evolution is suppose to move forward not backward. BTW, the event was not planned by RHPB. It was planned by the Zip Programming Network. RHPB played a marginal role. And in any case, your student organizations are not real student organizations but shills for the administration.

As always...with the dishonest accusations. I am the last person to call UA a lost cause. You are such the reactionary aren't you? I heard your fireworks. They were great. Can't say much for the rest of the parochial entertainment. How many did you draw... what a woppin 200 - 600 students out of almost 30,000? Nice try but no cigar. UA is not a lost cause. That has been my point all along. It just needs some students who are willing to program with a more inclusive attitude. For cyrying out loud UA is 140 years old. What are you dinasours waiting for? Evolution is suppose to move forward not backward.

Nice try Jake..how about THOUSANDS of students, the place was packed all day. Like usual you were wrong. UofA did a great job with Spring Fest so why don't you start giving credit where credit is due?

btw, I'm sure you thought that MVP presentation at the JAR today was "so high school" as well.

laugh^_^arial^_^3^_^2^_^Jake%20FAIL^_^.gif

These events are a step in the right direction for the university. The campus is slowly starting to shed that commuter tag that Jake loves to apply and become a real college campus.

Yup. And another common complaint is UA's crappy marketing. I've found that most of the t-shirts UA has given away/sold this year are actually really cool. The Whiteout T-shirts were awesome. I also liked the 'beat Can't state' shirts they gave out at the wagon wheel game. And this new shirt for SpringFest is a little girly but it's still a cool shirt. Check it out:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Universi...id=389969200809

I never said UA is a commuter school. And, hey Jethro, marketing entails much more than passing out T shirts to your own people on your own campus. Might want to take a quick tour of the college of business administration. They might be able to give you a better idea of what marketing really is.