Mack Rhodes

thepriceisright

Gotta feel bad for Mike Waddell. I felt like he really deserved this job over some associate at another mid-major school. He bleeds blue and gold, and to give that job to someone on his same level who has no ties to the university has got to sting a little bit. Oh well, I guess we'll see what this guy is made of. Hope he lives up to his predecessor.

June 24, 2004

MONROE, LA-Mack Rhoades of Texas-El Paso-the third candidate to interview for the University of Louisiana at Monroe's athletic director's position--met with university officials and community leaders Wednesday.

At 38, Rhoades, the executive senior associate AD at UTEP, is the youngest of the three candidates who have interviewed for the ULM job and is the second to interview on campus this week. He follows Alabama-Birmingham's senior associate AD, Bobby Staub, who interviewed June 7, and former Kansas director of athletics Al Bohl, who interviewed Monday.

Louisiana Monroe is seeking a replacement for Bruce Hanks, who announced in March that he planned to resign.

Rhoades oversees fund raising, marketing and media relations at UTEP and is also in charge of licensing, television, radio and season ticket sales. Rhoades dramatically increased football and basketball season ticket sales and game attendance during his tenure at UTEP.

A University of Arizona graduate, Rhoades received his Master's degree from Indiana University in 2002. His work experience includes stints as the Athletic Marketing Assistant at Yale University and as Athletic Advancement Officer at Marquette University in Milwaukee.

Bohl, a Bowling Green State University graduate, received his Master's degree from the University of Southern Mississippi and his Ph. D. from Ohio State University in Columbus. Bhol served as AD at the University of Toledo, Fresno State, and the University of Kansas. Bohl is currently writing a book for publication later this year.

Bohl significantly increased the annual athletic fund-raising while at Ohio State and Fresno. At Kansas, game attendance increased dramatically during Bohl's tenure and his duties included fundraising, media relations, recruiting and hiring coaching staff.

ULM's interview process has included meetings with President James Cofer, the president's cabinet, the AD search committee, the faculty athletic council, athletic department staff members and officers of the Indian Athletic Foundation, the university's chief athletic fund-raising organization.

No other candidates are scheduled for interviews at this time.

You could easily replace UTEP with Akron in the article.

Once more into the breach, attempting to assuage El Pasoans who would otherwise like time, if only it stopped moving forward.

Bob Stull was mentioned as a candidate for the athletic director’s job at San Diego State by media reports in the San Diego area recently – allegations he flatly denies.

But this column is not about those rumors. It is not about how El Paso stacks up against other cities. It is not even about Bob Stull.

This column is about time, and how much of it some El Pasoans need before they stop calling someone a turncoat, if and when that person leaves.

Bob Stull spent three wonderful seasons at UTEP as its head football coach, improving each year until his last, 1988, when the Miners finished 10-3 and nabbed a berth in the Independence Bowl.

In leaving for Missouri, Stull angered many in El Paso who learned of his decision only after he had shown up in Columbia, MO, and appeared on television, taking off an overgarment to reveal his new Mizzouwear underneath.

Skeptical when he returned to UTEP as athletic director in 1997, some of those fans were in full whine when the SDSU rumors began flying.

“Should’ve known,” say the Eors, who enjoy proving themselves right, even when they are not.

And they are not right. Rather, like many El Pasoans, they have failed to take notice of how times have changed at UTEP and in their own city.

Let me say before proceeding that I enjoy El Paso and its style.

But as El Paso pulls and tugs on the arms of the clock trying to halt its advance on everything from the Miners to mijo moving out, I fear a backlash of time welling up like a tsunami, ready to roll over El Paso before being absorbed by cities that move as fast as it does.

What those who demand Bob Stull’s loyalty to UTEP want is for things not to change when it is all going so well.

What they fail to realize is that the changes Stull and his staff have made in the Miners athletic office – more competitive salaries, solid marketing, a department able to dot all the i’s and cross all the t’s – are what makes it a more attractive place for good coaches. And good administrators.

In essence, Stull has made himself replaceable.

Many Miners fans bristle when the term “stepping stone” is used to describe UTEP. But if UTEP is not a stepping stone, where does that put the school in the NCAA pond?

Below water, where the Miners found themselves for many seasons, excepting Don Haskins’ great basketball teams in the 1980’s.

As heady as they were, even those days were about it for program accomplishment Рa lone reference on a short r̩sum̩.

Until Stull as football coach. Until Stull as athletic director.

Speaking of Haskins, the Bear’s 38 year tenure here was an anomaly but was embraced as the ideal. Few coaches were as loyal, fewer still were as good. Most you would not want to stay for 38 years.

Any Jason Rabedeaux fans left around these parts? Didn’t think so.

Stull has helped forge a different ideal: Change is good.

For those still upset about UTEP being labeled a stepping-stone, remember: These days, every school is a stepping stone, as football coach Nick Saban recently proved by moving from one of the nation’s biggest football factories at Louisiana State to the NFL’s Miami Dolphins.

Stull came back to UTEP from the University of Washington – itself a big-time program – with that in mind.

Don’t think Stull brought Senior Assistant Athletic Director Mack Rhoades with him to interview coaches for every important hire of the last few years just for kicks. He is grooming Rhoades, who wants to be an athletic director himself one day.

If the San Diego rumors are true, perhaps Rhoades will get his chance here.

As UTEP is discovering, the only way to get ahead and stay there is to oil the Miner Machine well, fit it with solid new parts when it needs them and keep it running.

Like clockwork.

Last article, I promise. Looks like everyone loves the guy. I hope that he and UAM hit it off. I don't want to lose UAM.

Assistant AD Rhoades decides to stay at UTEP

Darren Hunt

El Paso Times

UTEP Athletic Director Bob Stull said Tuesday that the school gave Executive Senior Associate Athletic Director Mack Rhoades a raise after he removed his name from the AD search at Louisiana-Monroe.

Rhoades, 38, a favorite of UTEP's staff and boosters, was one of two finalists for the position after interviewing last week. But he declined to return to Monroe for a final interview.

"I really think he was their choice," Stull said of Rhoades, whose previous annual salary at UTEP was $80,400. "He was in line for a raise anyhow -- like a lot of our staff. We certainly tried to make it better for him."

Stull would not disclose Rhoades' new salary since it has yet to be finalized. Louisiana-Monroe was expected to pay between $90,000 and $100,000.

"My wife Amy and I talked about it in depth (Monday) and came to the conclusion that I would withdraw my name," Rhoades said. "At this time, (Monroe) is not the right move for us. We have a great situation at UTEP. It's a great university, we have a great staff and there's great people in the community."

Rhoades said Louisiana- Monroe officials were "disappointed" by his decision. The school moved quickly to offer the job to the only remaining finalist, Alabama-Birmingham Senior Associate AD Bobby Staub.

Despite Stull's comments on Rhoades being ULM's No. 1 pick, ULM President Dr. James Cofer said in a prepared statement: "(Staub) was the first to interview for the position and remains our top choice."

Stull called Rhoades "a real asset" to UTEP's program and said it was important to him to keep his staff together.

"We've been able to keep our staff together, for the most part, the past five years," Stull said. "(Rhoades) has been part of the program since I got here in 1998. We've been through a lot putting things together here, and he deserves a lot of the credit."

Rhoades turned down the Evansville AD job last year and was previously a finalist at Sacramento State. He said he still desires to be an AD.

"If the right situation presents itself, I'll take a look," Rhoades said. "But at this point in time, I'm not in any formal interview process with anybody else."

Aw man...............

I go overseas for a frikin week.............damn. You guys were supposed to keep UAM in the hunt..............

Color him gone if he doesn't get the nod.

This guy sounds like he has the SAME experience and background as Mike. So what's the problem with Mike? Did he do too good a job?

Damn..................

Aw man...............

I go overseas for a frikin week.............damn. You guys were supposed to keep UAM in the hunt..............

Color him gone if he doesn't get the nod.

This guy sounds like he has the SAME experience and background as Mike. So what's the problem with Mike? Did he do too good a job?

Damn..................

My thoughts exactly Z-P.

I hope they use their brains and make UAM the Senior Associate Athletic Director WIth Thick Wallet. There's room for both of these guys here for awhile, but I would have like to see UAM here long haul.