2012 Recruiting

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe if we ever happen to get a commitment.

When I started this I wanted to have a way to compare who the coaches were trying to recruit against. So far, we're recruiting almost exclusively against the BCS, with nothing to show for it. I really do question the "great recruiter" tag that national outlets keep using to describe our coach because they can't think of any other positive coaching trait to describe him with.

Certainly isn't looking promising so far. Nothing wrong with offering kids that have BCS offers, but you need to get those midlevel players that you have a shot at and try to build some kind of base before football season rolls around. If he tries to fill the gap with kids that were borderline BCS players that maybe gets looked over at the last minute, we are going to have a huge hole of unused scholarships.

Certainly isn't looking promising so far. Nothing wrong with offering kids that have BCS offers, but you need to get those midlevel players that you have a shot at and try to build some kind of base before football season rolls around. If he tries to fill the gap with kids that were borderline BCS players that maybe gets looked over at the last minute, we are going to have a huge hole of unused scholarships.

I am sure we have offered quite a few of those kids. However, most of them are holding out for the "big offer" before they choose have to choose us.

I am sure we have offered quite a few of those kids. However, most of them are holding out for the "big offer" before they choose have to choose us.

If we have offered them, UAkronkid would have told us about them.

New offer: RB Akeel Lynch

LB Kenʈ Kern commits to Miami-Ohio

SS Mike Svetina commits to Miami-Ohio

This is when we start losing kids to MAC schools because we spent too much time focusing on unobtainable BCS recruits and not enough time on getting kids that would make us at least competitive in our own conference. Baby steps are needed and this recruiting strategy is making it harder for the coaching staff to field a solid team than it should be.

This is when we start losing kids to MAC schools because we spent too much time focusing on unobtainable BCS recruits and not enough time on getting kids that would make us at least competitive in our own conference. Baby steps are needed and this recruiting strategy is making it harder for the coaching staff to field a solid team than it should be.

Seriously? This guy has been a recruiter (one of the best mind you) for decades, and you are going to tell him that he doesn't know what he is doing? This is one area where I have all the faith in the world in the guy. He brought in Jawon Chisholm after all the schools picked their guys and he looks to be the stud running back that we have been needing for a long time.

Seriously? This guy has been a recruiter (one of the best mind you) for decades, and you are going to tell him that he doesn't know what he is doing? This is one area where I have all the faith in the world in the guy. He brought in Jawon Chisholm after all the schools picked their guys and he looks to be the stud running back that we have been needing for a long time.

Zack is a "researcher nerd" type. I think he adds value to the board and he truly loves the Zips. But don't take his opinions to seriously. You will spend all your time debating the merits of the shower vs the bath.

Somewhere there is a kid and his dog praying you too are right about Jawon Chisholm. Im just too lazy to find the picture again.

Good MAC programs have prospects commit early so they don't end up playing for teams like Akron when the music stops. I am concerned and this is all that matters.

ESPN Link

When will Icoach break the seal. We have schollys to burn and the other MAC teams are not "going fat early".

Looking down through the list of MAC commits, I don't see that many great gets. There a few to be sure, but most of these kids didn't have anyone else interested but the team they verballed to. I am not ready to press the panic button yet, but I am getting a little anxious, since we are tied for last with EMU and WMU. I think Bill Cubit has been a late recruiter historically, though. So we're basically sucking hind tit with Eastern. Fabulous!

Tomorrow is the 1st day of July. Signing day isnt for another 7 months. There is absolutely no reason to be concerned. If we start the season 0-6, then I will be concerned. If we show improvement in the w-l column, this staff will bring in talent. Why would anyone commit here this early until they see if the program is going in the right direction?