Frye for Heisman NIIICE!!!

Zipsrifle

Wow, kudos to UAM to kicking off a Fryeisman campaign!!! Everyone here has talked about it, I didn't think it would happen, but here it is!

I do have a few thoughts on this topic though. First, I'm convinced that Charlie is one of the best players in College football. I really hope that he can put up the same or better numbers than last year. I'm still concerned about the receiving corps. These worries are dimishing somewhat though with what sounds like a boost in athleticism in the group with the addition of Jabari and Hixon.

IMHO, to even be considered on the same level as Roethlisberger, Leftwich by the media, he will have to be the leading QB in the MAC this year, Break Leftwich's MAC record, and at least have the Zips contending late in the season for the MAC East. I already seem to see doubts as to who's the top QB in the MAC this year with Gradkowski having a higher completion percentage as a Sophomore. That is why I'm hoping we don't have too many dropped passes and missed routes. We all know that 98% of the media has no idea what is going on in Akron and the statistics will be the only thing that jump out at them.

One of the things that bugs the heck out of me is when 25 schools at the beginning of the year are running Heisman campaigns....only to see 15 of those players prove to be only above average. This is what I thought with Ben at the beginning of last year, but he proved me wrong by the end of the season. I applaud UAM for the effort, it is the right move, and I pray that it works out well.

To play devils advocate, do you think that this campaign may have been something that was worked out when Charlie was looking at the NFL to keep him in Akron? We all know about this years attendence requirements, I think that is what pushed MT to can LO. We need to put butts in the seats, firing a coach with a winning season got Zips football in the local media early. Having a Heisman caliber QB is going to get a LOT of attention also. If he left, this may have been just another MAC coaching change, something that seems to happen 2-3 times every year.

To save a few of you an extra click this is what Zipsrifle is speaking of:

Frye For Heisman Campaign To Kickoff Saturday

Fans will be treated to numerous giveaways at Blue and Gold Game at Rubber Bowl.

April 22, 2004

The University of Akron Department of Athletics will kickoff the Heisman Trophy campaign for senior quarterback Charlie Frye Saturday at the Rubber Bowl. The festivities will be part of the annual Blue and Gold Spring Game, which begins at 10 a.m. Admission is free.

Campaign materials that will be given out to Zips fans attending the scrimmage include "FRYE 2004" yard signs, bumper stickers and campaign buttons. Each premium item will feature the new "FRYE 2004 HEISMAN TROPHY" logo that will be featured in multimedia advertising throughout northeast Ohio over the next six months.

Beginning this summer a new web site will be launched dedicated to the exploits of Frye as he enters his senior season. The site will feature weekly interviews with the awards candidate and UA coaches, a full statistical breakdown of his career at The University of Akron and multimedia downloads for fans, including screensavers and wallpaper for your computer desktop.

All fans attending the Blue and Gold Game will also receive a raffle ticket upon entry to the stadium, making them eligible to win one of many prizes donated by the Zips Team Shop, Athlete Tech, and adidas.

Saturday's game can also be heard locally on FOX Sports 1350 AM, with Steve French, Joe Dunn and Tommy Gelehrter handling the call.

a-FryeHeismanButton.jpg

I have a campaign idea for this whole thing, tell me if its stupid?

"Frye - Returning the Heisman to its Home" or something to that tune. You know given John Heisman was at Buchtel, this is a great opportunity to remind people of that fact an educate those that don't know.

UAM, you listenting?

"Legendary coach John Heisman had in 1894 directed Buchtel College to a 12-6 win over the Buckeyes at the Ohio State Fairgrounds. "

post-3-1082750024.jpg

Guest Freud

Too wordy. I was part of the campus focus group that helped develop the camapign. The goal was to keep it short and simple, matching FRYE and HEISMAN and the YEAR. Kind of a mock political campaign. One of the new radio spots will be on the radio broadcast of the Spring Game - really well done stuff. I have seen a mock up of the football poster for this year and it has both of their pictures, Heisman in the background, Frye in the foreground. Much of the marketing for the season will begin in early June and carry out through the summer months. A major ticket push is also coming down the pike.

"Legendary coach John Heisman had in 1894 directed Buchtel College to a 12-6 win over the Buckeyes at the Ohio State Fairgrounds. "

post-3-1082750024.jpg

Hey Z-P...how was it blocking for Heisman? Was he a "slasher," or a staight-ahead runner?

Also, Grantland Rice wrote that you held an OSU DL on the play that sprung Heisman for the go-ahead 12-6 TD? Now that it's been 110 years...come clean! Was it a hold or not??!! :unsure:

See you all tomorrow for kegs and eggs in the parking lot! :wave: