Students Robbed

Students Robbed

Gunman robbed two University of Akron students in their residence hall around 7:30 Wednesday night.

The two students stepped off the elevator on the fifth floor of Gallucci Hall and were then met by the three gunman, according to a notice sent out by the university. Neither student was physically harmed.

The University of Akron sent the emergency notice to students about the incident just after midnight.

Police welcome any information about the incident, and you can call University of Akron police at 330-972-2911. You may also submit a tip confidentially online.

It would be very bad for the University of they don't catch these guys.

At least we beat them in the MACC game a couple weeks back.

Seriously though, it is very scary that such thugs gained access to a university building without anyone noticing. I hope this is an isolated incident and that the University is able to put measures in place that guarantee it won't happen in the future.

There are side doors to all of the buildings and people walk in while other people are leaving. One day a couple years ago I walked out of my room on the second floor of Honors and some guy who was just wandering around looking confused asked me if that was Simmons Hall and where he could find the admissions office! People used to sneak their friends in all the time because they didn't feel like taking two seconds to sign them in at the front desk and I'm sure they still do it as much as ever. Obviously based on what happened yesterday they really need to find a way to solve the problem. Three gunmen in a college dorm could do some serious damage.

it may be me, but i honestly think gallucci has become a breeding ground for thug-like students. When I lived in Exchange, it just always seemed like there was SOMETHING going on over there. That being said, it almost didnt surprise me that it happened. Do not think for one second that I dont care because I certainly do - a close friend was an RA there just last semester - I just feel like this was almost an eventuality.

I just hope this was someone who gained unauthorized access to the dorm and not students who were doing this. I want to believe they weren't students but its almost impossible to rule out anything when it happens IN the dorm.

Its most unfortunate that these things happen. The low-lifes that do these things are the scum of society. And to just randomly rob the next person who gets off an elevator is absolutely mind-boggling.

It is worse than you guys think. I used to be an RA and I have a lot of friends who still work in the halls. Gallucci had problems of people sneaking in through the side doors as mentioned earlier, so they had them sealed so that they will only open if the fire alarm is pulled. Basically what this means is that whoever is the culprit of this incident either lives in the building or is friends with someone who allowed them to enter the building. The front door is the only way in or out. Basically either way you look at it, a student living in the building had a hand in this robbery. Definitely a scary thing for those who live there.

Basically either way you look at it, a student living in the building had a hand in this robbery. Definitely a scary thing for those who live there.

It is bad. I wonder if the neighborhood its located in has anything to do with it. Friends of students who live in the ghetto only have to walk a few blocks to get there. I wouldn't be surprised if the perps were off-campus students themselves.

Until we bulldoze everything south of UA bounded by I-76, Route 8, and the train tracks, things like this will continue to happen. It's happening, but it's slow.

Basically either way you look at it, a student living in the building had a hand in this robbery. Definitely a scary thing for those who live there.

It is bad. I wonder if the neighborhood its located in has anything to do with it. Friends of students who live in the ghetto only have to walk a few blocks to get there. I wouldn't be surprised if the perps were off-campus students themselves.

Until we bulldoze everything south of UA bounded by I-76, Route 8, and the train tracks, things like this will continue to happen. It's happening, but it's slow.

Sad to hear this news but as we all know, this area is NOT part of the campus! ;)

Got this email. It came as no surprise as I am sure most people who know the building knew it involved UA students. Just glad that those who were responsible were found and are being handled with.

Dear Students,

I want to provide an update about the incident last week in Gallucci Hall and what we are doing in response.

I am pleased to report that three men are in jail today and each has been charged in connection with the incident. The charges include possession of marijuana, aggravated robbery and burglary.

At the same time, we were disappointed to learn that the three are UA students. I understand that this may raise other concerns and questions, so let me address them right here.

We have a strict no-tolerance policy for firearms and drugs on campus. In our residence halls, those charged with violating this policy are immediately banned from the residence halls, and they are referred to police and to our Student Judicial Affairs office. In addition to University discipline, a student would be subject to criminal charges. All of this is made clear in students' housing contracts and during informational sessions shortly after move-in.

Our residence halls have been and continue to be safe because of many precautions we have in place:

We assign a number of our police officers specifically to the residence halls to provide security services.

Second, the external doors to our residence halls are locked at all times. To enter a hall, you must either swipe an ID or pass through a security checkpoint. In many of our halls, you must do both.

Third, our residence hall staff members are extensively trained in security and safety procedures.

I also want to point out that our investigation benefitted significantly from anonymous tips, security cameras, and evidence we gathered through the security precautions described earlier.

Our highest priority is to provide a safe living and learning environment for students. The university administration supports our department and our numerous safety and security initiatives on campus. For instance, since 2007, we have increased to 40 the number of full-time officers in our state-certified police department.

You can learn more about the safety programs we have in place at www.uakron.edu/safety.

If my officers can ever be of assistance to you at any hour, call 330-972-2911, or in an emergency, call 9-1-1.

Thank you for attending The University of Akron.

Cordially,

Paul Callahan

Assistant Vice President of Campus Safety

Police Chief, UA Police Department

pcallah@uakron.edu