Talking Tressel

bobbyake

Here comes all the cheerleaders who criticize others who are realistic. I think it's great you all support Akron like I do and want them to be #1. But let's face it, never in the history of Akron football have we had a coach who is top 5 in the country.

So if you want to throw stones at me, mind you I have football and basketball season tickets and donate as much as I can without taking food off the table, you can. But I support Akron. I'm just not going to be childish at this. We are what we are. We have never been a consistently good college football program. I want it to change, but it's going to change with a young firey head coach. Like Jim Tressel did for YSU. It's not going to change with a guy who ran one of the best college football programs in the country and has 5 national titles. We deserve a guy like Tressel did for YSU. But we don't deserve a big name like him.

I said all along to go after a Stoops if we're trying to make a big splash. That would be doable, see Ohio University, and he would fit perfectly with out school.

Knows NE Ohio

Turned Zona around

Known name with recruits

Yes I know he may end of on OSU's staff, but you could get this guy for 500-750K. I think there's enough donors who would splurge that much cash to get him.

Tressel was never an option. Sorry I was realistic and didn't have these pipe dreams.

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the point about getting excited about something that never had a chance at happening?

It's not about deserving Tressel. It's about it being impossible to get that kind of name at Akron. If you want to waste your time going after coaches that don't want to come here fine. I'm glad Tressel is an adviser on this.

Do we deserve a Tressel? NO! The MAC is at the bottom of FBS football. We pay $300,000 for our coach where the average in the MAC is $478,000. The national average is $1.38 million. We're also coming off of back to back 1-11 seasons. So no, we don't deserve Tressel, who while at OSU was one of the top 5 coaches in the entire country.

Guess you missed the speculation that this was part of a grander plan to bring in a big-name coach at a bigger-than-MAC salary to elevate the program in preparation for a move to a bigger-name conference.

Personally, I'd rather be associated with big thinkers who fail while shooting for the big time than small thinkers who succeed in perpetuating themselves in the small time.

Is UA willing to spend the money? Does anybody really know, or are we just wishing it to be so?

It could be disappointing if the fans have champagne taste but the athletic department has a beer budget. We may have to settle for beer, but hope the selection committee finds a really good beer for our money. That might be from a little known micro-brewery, and not a big name from Anheuser. But it might be a really great beer. They are out there.

I second the CBS Sports salute and admiration below to all Zips fans involved in raising this to the level of national media attention:

Photoshop of Tressel in Akron regalia via "We Want Jim Tressel for Akron Zips Football" Facebook page. Your optimism is sincerely saluted and admired, gentlemen.

If you report anything that borders on realism you get called a troll. Sweet.

This has nothing to do with realism. There are several people who have shared the idea of this not being realistic, but they've done it without saying things like "we don't deserve Tressel"

I'm happy to finally see our University not settling for second best. They tossed their hat in and went all out. Turns out we were right about all the talk and had every reason to get excited. Those puffing out your chests and bragging about how they new JT wasn't coming to Akron can go ahead and get over yourselves. At least we had something to get excited about and enjoyed doing it.

Those of you getting short with JT need to grow up a little bit. We tried, he said no, now we move on.

I think the thing that upset me about all the naysayers was the idea they had that we didn't deserve a Jim Tressel. Most of the naysayers on this board didn't have that attitude, but you found it with ease if you looked elsewhere.

What's the point about getting excited about something that never had a chance at happening?

It's not about deserving Tressel. It's about it being impossible to get that kind of name at Akron. If you want to waste your time going after coaches that don't want to come here fine. I'm glad Tressel is an adviser on this.

Do we deserve a Tressel? NO! The MAC is at the bottom of FBS football. We pay $300,000 for our coach where the average in the MAC is $478,000. The national average is $1.38 million. We're also coming off of back to back 1-11 seasons. So no, we don't deserve Tressel, who while at OSU was one of the top 5 coaches in the entire country.

If you can't get behind this then you need to go ahead and GTFO. Yes, we deserve a Tressel. This University deserves the absolute best and I can't stand the people who think otherwise. If you are going to be one of those people who look at Akron as a second rate institute then I have no use for you and you might as well go ahead and go back to being one of the ZN.o members who read and keep quiet.

+1

Here comes all the cheerleaders who criticize others who are realistic. I think it's great you all support Akron like I do and want them to be #1. But let's face it, never in the history of Akron football have we had a coach who is top 5 in the country.

So if you want to throw stones at me, mind you I have football and basketball season tickets and donate as much as I can without taking food off the table, you can. But I support Akron. I'm just not going to be childish at this. We are what we are. We have never been a consistently good college football program. I want it to change, but it's going to change with a young firey head coach. Like Jim Tressel did for YSU. It's not going to change with a guy who ran one of the best college football programs in the country and has 5 national titles. We deserve a guy like Tressel did for YSU. But we don't deserve a big name like him.

I said all along to go after a Stoops if we're trying to make a big splash. That would be doable, see Ohio University, and he would fit perfectly with out school.

Knows NE Ohio

Turned Zona around

Known name with recruits

Yes I know he may end of on OSU's staff, but you could get this guy for 500-750K. I think there's enough donors who would splurge that much cash to get him.

Tressel was never an option. Sorry I was realistic and didn't have these pipe dreams.

Where's the emoticon of me throwing stones at Indians06? Dude, Tressel should be happy to get the chance to redeem himself at a MUCH smaller school/program now that he is a disgrace. I was ready to embrace him like all of us would have, but in no small measure because I assumed that UA would be a great step-down opportunity for him to redeem himself while building our program for bigger and better things while also retooling his reputation. It would have been a wonderful two-fer. You need to embrace the possibility of bigger and better. We would not have rated Tressel before he disgraced the OSucks program, but at this point he is tainted.

Yeah, that John Heisman was a slouch.

Ohh yea pulling out 1800's Buchtel stats. NICE!

Yeah, that John Heisman was a slouch.

Ohh yea pulling out 1800's Buchtel stats. NICE!

You said "history of Akron football" So I went with what you said. :wave:

Knows NE Ohio

Turned Zona around

Known name with recruits

Where's the emoticon of me throwing stones at Indians06? Dude, Tressel should be happy to get the chance to redeem himself at a MUCH smaller school/program now that he is a disgrace. I was ready to embrace him like all of us would have, but in no small measure because I assumed that UA would be a great step-down opportunity for him to redeem himself while building our program for bigger and better things while also retooling his reputation. It would have been a wonderful two-fer. You need to embrace the possibility of bigger and better. We would not have rated Tressel before he disgraced the OSucks program, but at this point he is tainted.

He probably is happy and honored that Akron wants him. But he doesn't want to coach here, or anywhere else. If you really believe he is a disgrace, then why would you want that person as the head coach of your school? I wouldn't. I have more pride than that. But let's face it, he's not a disgrace. A lot of people in the state of Ohio still adore him.

He wanted two things in his career. One, to be a college football head coach. YSU gave him that opportunity. And second, to be head coach at Ohio State. He turned down numerous jobs that paid millions more than YSU while he was there to wait for OSU. He turned down NFL interviews to stay at OSU. That's all he wanted. And I know first hand Tressel doesn't feel disgraced at all.

He has a wonderful family who are all doing their own successful things in life. He and his wife make philanthropic donations to all sorts of causes near and dear to them. His old players love him and stick up for him. He has 5 national titles. He's seen thousands of his players and staff members go on and do great things with their life. He's happy with his life. I think we all strive to have the internal happiness that Tressel has. For you to say he's a disgrace or how dear he turn down Akron is pathetic!

Knows NE Ohio

Turned Zona around

Known name with recruits

He probably is happy and honored that Akron wants him. But he doesn't want to coach here, or anywhere else. If you really believe he is a disgrace, then why would you want that person as the head coach of your school? I wouldn't. I have more pride than that. But let's face it, he's not a disgrace. A lot of people in the state of Ohio still adore him.

He wanted two things in his career. One, to be a college football head coach. YSU gave him that opportunity. And second, to be head coach at Ohio State. He turned down numerous jobs that paid millions more than YSU while he was there to wait for OSU. He turned down NFL interviews to stay at OSU. That's all he wanted. And I know first hand Tressel doesn't feel disgraced at all.

He has a wonderful family who are all doing their own successful things in life. He and his wife make philanthropic donations to all sorts of causes near and dear to them. His old players love him and stick up for him. He has 5 national titles. He's seen thousands of his players and staff members go on and do great things with their life. He's happy with his life. I think we all strive to have the internal happiness that Tressel has. For you to say he's a disgrace or how dear he turn down Akron is pathetic!

I can't really say I disagree with any of this. I've always respected Tressel. I still do. It would have been great to have him here but as the dust has settled, it's become clear that it was never even close to happening.

The other problem is, there is NO upside in this job for a good coach with a national name.

The new coach will come to a team with three horrible seasons in a row (or is it more than that) and a horrible core of players. We have not had a QB since they fired Jacquemain. We have no offensive line. We have ONE defensive player who can tackle anyone. The kickers are graduating. And there is no recruiting class to speak of.

In other words, next year we would be lucky to win two games with Vince Lombardi on the sidelines. And He is not available.

When I was a freshman in 1967 the hoops team was coming off the Turner/Williams years. There was one returning starter (Jerry Sloan) and we were about as bad as this football team. There was no shot clock in those days, and there were one or two games where we tried to play the stall, just hold the ball and win 2-0. Yes, really. Against such luminaries as Philadelphia Textile and Kentucky Wesleyan.

The next year they hired Wyatt Web as coach. And he found this guy in Cleveland who, as the story was told back then, was out of school and making a living hustling at pool. He was not on anyone's recruiting list. He was a nowhere man.

Oh by the way, his name was Len Paul and he became one of the Akron all time greats. You want to see athletic - that guy was POETRY IN MOTION. Q and Harney together could not hold a candle to that guy. He was 6'4 and jumped center - twice a game in those days plus jump balls.

(And if I am wrong on some of the details don't shoot me, this is how I remember it from 44 years ago, before lots of you were born).

But the point of the story is this:

Unless the new coach can get creative about finding some bodies who can play football in the MAC, we are dead in the water next year. And what big time coach would volunteer to be put into that position?

My degree from Akron says other wise! I'll keep posting here because I'm a Zip.

OK, I had to go back and look at your history of posts on ZN.o. You have at least as many posts on ZN.o related to YSU and Youngstown as to the Zips and Akron.

Also, this is not the first thread where you've accused others of "attacking" you for being a "realist."

If you focused more on the Zips and Akron as opposed to YSU and Youngstown, and lost the attitude of others "attacking" you for being a "realist," you would fit right in as a Zips fan.

Knows NE Ohio

Turned Zona around

Known name with recruits

Spell much? I'm calling you out as a troll and a hater of UA. If you desperately want to fellate Tressel, have at it fella. If you can't understand that Tressel is disgraced, and that it might still have been good for him and UA for him to redeem himself here while also pulling this program into the bigger time, you are neither intelligent nor nuanced.

And if you think for a second that Tressel cares you lack any intelligence at all. He doesn't want to coach here. He has internal happiness. He has a nice house, great family, more money than he knows what to do with. He's happy.

Spell check police**** Someone put an e ahead of an a. Let's go back and re-read every post he's ever made and go through his posting with a fine tooth comb because I have that kind of time on my hand!

OK, I had to go back and look at your history of posts on ZN.o. You have at least as many posts on ZN.o related to YSU and Youngstown as to the Zips and Akron.

Also, this is not the first thread where you've accused others of "attacking" you for being a "realist."

If you focused more on the Zips and Akron as opposed to YSU and Youngstown, and lost the attitude of others "attacking" you for being a "realist," you would fit right in as a Zips fan.

Ohh so now I have to act a certain way? I brought up YSU and ytown per the discussion that was going on. I.E. I was born there and found a job after there. I grew up with Tressel's kids. I stay in contact with them today. I know what I'm talking about.

Ohh so now I have to act a certain way? I brought up YSU and ytown per the discussion that was going on. I.E. I was born there and found a job after there. I grew up with Tressel's kids. I stay in contact with them today. I know what I'm talking about.

This thread has gotten ridiculous.