New Coach Confirmed

Thewatcher

Please expect a press conference next Thursday or the following Monday pending the outcome of Wayne State's game.

Good Luck Paul Winters.

Source?

Small problem ... coach Winters can not be interviewed until after his team is no

longer playing. Thus, he has not been interviewed; nor could give a response,

yea or nay. You are speculating and rumor mongering.

Coah Winters is not the choice that will move Akron forward. He condemns Akron

to mediocrity. They will pay him less than Ianello received just so they can cover

the short fall. Bad decision.

With your few posts you have no credibility. I say you are wrong and rumor

mongering. Enough of that. State your source.

I'm afraid, now that Jim Tressel has politely declined our offer, any other candidate is going to be a bit of a let down.

To whom?

To most Zips fans, obviously. I've never seen the ZNO board light up like it did last Tuesday w/ all the Jim Tressel rumors.

Maybe it as just the "savior complex" kicking in. Just because there is a mob, doesn't mean the mob is right.

I'm afraid, now that Jim Tressel has politely declined our offer, any other candidate is going to be a bit of a let down.

To whom?

To most Zips fans, obviously. I've never seen the ZNO board light up like it did last Tuesday w/ all the Jim Tressel rumors.

Maybe it as just the "savior complex" kicking in. Just because there is a mob, doesn't mean the mob is right.

For sure. Just saying most Zips fans will be let down by almost anyone after having dreams of Tressel. :wave:

I think Paul Winters could be great here.

To whom?

I don't think he was stating his opinion on whether the "mob" was right or wrong....just that there is a "mob". He is correct and accurate.

I will be very disappointed if they hire Paul Winters without bringing in at least two other viable, desirable candidates for interviews (Tressel was never "viable").

I'm not against Paul, but to not conduct a real search will make this hire comparable to TW making a singular decision last time.

That would be bad for the university as a missed opportunity, but it would actually be bad for Paul Winters too. If he failed to show dramitic improvement in two years, there will then be many unhappy fans saying "See, I told you so."

Paul doesn't need that kind of pressure, and the university and fans deserve a thorough search before an offer is made.

I will be very disappointed if they hire Paul Winters without bringing in at least two other viable, desireable candidates for interviews (Tressel was never "viable").

I'm not against Paul, but to not conduct a real search will make this hire comparable to TW making a singular decision last time.

That would be bad for the university as a missed opportunity, but it would actually be bad for Paul Winters too. If he failed to show dramitic improvement in two years, there will then be many unhappy fans saying "See, I told you so."

Paul doesn't need that kind of pressure, and the university and fans deserve a thorough search before an offer is made.

I would like to see Paul hired too but I am in total agreement with Hiroad1. We need to do our homework. But given the situation and our financial resources...I think Paul is our best option. But you really can't say that unless you go through the process.

I will be very disappointed if they hire Paul Winters without bringing in at least two other viable, desireable candidates for interviews (Tressel was never "viable").

I would like to see Paul hired too but I am total agreement with Hiroad1. We need to do our homework. But given the situationa and our financial resources...I think Paul is our best option. But you really can't say that unless you go through the process.

+1

Get the best guy we can for the money we have. Isn't that what every hire at every company is about???

I would like to see Paul hired too but I am total agreement with Hiroad1. We need to do our homework. But given the situationa and our financial resources...I think Paul is our best option. But you really can't say that unless you go through the process.

+1

Get the best guy we can for the money we have. Isn't that what every hire at every company is about???

Absolutely. But we have people on here saying we have to spend "whatever it takes" and the money issue is not our problem and has ruined sports because we focus on what something costs rather than demanding that we get the best talent (the “accounts” ruined it..as I recall). The UofA has not proved it can, or will, support any sport. We have successful sports in bball and soccer but students have not supported either to a great extent. Granted...soccer has good support but without a National Championship driving it...attendance was greatly reduced. Look at the last 4-5 games this year compared to last year. So...we should get a good coach that matches the situation that we have. The big East?? Show me first that we have any chance of getting a bid. It never ceases to amaze me how easy people spend other people’s money....or expect them to spend for their benefit.

+1

Absolutely. But we have people on here saying we have to spend "whatever it takes" and the money issue is not our problem and has ruined sports because we focus on what something costs rather than demanding that we get the best talent (the “accounts” ruined it..as I recall). The UofA has not proved it can, or will, support any sport. We have successful sports in bball and soccer but students have not supported either to a great extent. Granted...soccer has good support but without a National Championship driving it...attendance was greatly reduced. Look at the last 4-5 games this year compared to last year. So...we should get a good coach that matches the situation that we have. The big East?? Show me first that we have any chance of getting a bid. It never ceases to amaze me how easy people spend other people’s money....or expect them to spend for their benefit.

Agree.

Talk of the Big East at this time is nonsense.

I see more than a dozen teams across C-USA, WAC, Sunbelt, Mountain West, Independents, AND the MAC that instantly would be selected by a bigger/better conference before Akron. Of those remaining after that, Akron wouldn't necessarily be first choice either.

Right now, this is all about becoming competitive in the MAC. If we accomplish that, then we have a chance to remain viable and find a home when future conference realignment causes the consolodation that will result in some D1-A schools being forced to drop to D1-AA as not being viable or able to make the necessary financial commitments to stay with the big boys.

So, this current search has to be realistic about budget managed against the BEST coach we can get to make us compettive in the MAC. That will move us up in the pecking order for future conference realignment. If that works out, we should achieve larger crowds, get better recruits, have more national exposure, and THEN be able to ask the alumni and donor base to dig deep go after a bigger name coach and move to the next level.

The important point is not just how much you spend on an investment, but what you get back in relation to what you spend, i.e. ROI (return on investment). Businesses succeed or fail based on how wisely they invest their resources.

The investment in facilities has already been made, and the facilities may not be producing sufficient ROI to pay off the debt at the current rate of return due to lack of fan interest in a losing team. As GP1 often points out, facilities alone do not produce a successful program.

The missing piece of the total investment is the coach who brings in and gets the most out of a capable staff and players, and generates the most interest among local fans, sponsors and investors.

You can't afford to pick cheaply and you can't afford to pick stupidly. The right coach at the right price will maximize ROI by filling the stadium with paying fans. That doesn't necessarily mean that all higher-price options are better than all lower-price options. But it would not be good business to rule out higher-priced options if they are more likely to maximize total ROI for the facilities plus the coaching staff.