Some thoughts on Tree

akronzips71

My biggest worry is that we could lose him to a transfer to a major major school.

This guy could play for ANYONE.

Remember, he is a freshman with very little experience. But the kind of potential he shows looks like what you see in the Final Four. If we can keep him, he will tear up the MAC as a junior and senior. In fact, he mitigates the loss of Zeke in a couple of years, as he is a pretty big guy who can really play.

As you can tell, I am really impressed with the guy. He hits the boards, scores inside, and has a pretty damn impressive jumper.

Anyone got any other thoughts (besides the one that we would probably have a better record if he didn't have to sit out some games)?

My biggest worry is that we could lose him to a transfer to a major major school.

This guy could play for ANYONE.

Remember, he is a freshman with very little experience. But the kind of potential he shows looks like what you see in the Final Four. If we can keep him, he will tear up the MAC as a junior and senior. In fact, he mitigates the loss of Zeke in a couple of years, as he is a pretty big guy who can really play.

As you can tell, I am really impressed with the guy. He hits the boards, scores inside, and has a pretty damn impressive jumper.

Anyone got any other thoughts (besides the one that we would probably have a better record if he didn't have to sit out some games)?

I agree. Tonights game was a perfect example of his power and skill. I think this year like many people have said will be one of the best years for the program. As long as we go far, I don't think we should have any problem keeping him. If we are 6-5 with the games he had to sit out, I am think we will go a great distance in the post season.

I'd like to think that he'll feel as though KD has taken a special interest in him & is truly interested in his basketball development. KD really is an excellent coach. Also, playing in the MAC will afford Tree the opportunity to work on his game at a more comfortable level than if he played in a Big Six conference - much akin to Zeke's situation.

Also, playing pickup ball w/ LeBron every summer can't hurt our chances of keeping him around (and bringing in others like him).

Anyone got any other thoughts?

I think your time would be better spent not worrying about Tree transfering.

+1 In years past, I could see this as a possibility, but with the talent on this squad right now, I'd like to think that KD has his guys believing if they stick together they can accomplish something special over the next few years. I know I'm excited about the talent on this team!

Gotta love Zipsnation. A guy strings together a couple good games in a row and suddenly he's the second coming and there is no way we are ever going to keep him here for the long run. Don't get me wrong, I've been impressed with Tree's play the last few games, but let's not annoint the young man yet.

Ohh, and the idea that he will "replace" Zeke one day is somewhat laughable to me. Two entirely different players and entirely different styles of play. Zeke is a defensive minded center whose offensive game is getting there but still needs some work. Tree is an offensive minded PF whose defensive game still leaves a good bit to be desired.

It does cause you to shake your head in disbelief when you see what a guy with only one year of HS basketball experience is doing in his 10th game in college. Tree has improved a bunch in the short time I've been watching him. He and Harney both have all the potential in the world. Zips fans just aren't used to seeing players with this much ability doing so well so early in their UA careers. Teams that regularly show up in the top 25 always have a number of young players with this kind of talent level.

The Zips have incredible depth this season. As the new players continue to mesh with the veterans, the Zips are just going to keep getting better and better. But reality will set in when they go up against VCU without Rico. VCU is also stacked with talented young players, and hopefully Tree, Harney and the rest of the Zips will show all they've got. That's going to be one heck of a game.

It does cause you to shake your head in disbelief when you see what a guy with only one year of HS basketball experience is doing in his 10th game in college. Tree has improved a bunch in the short time I've been watching him. He and Harney both have all the potential in the world. Zips fans just aren't used to seeing players with this much ability doing so well so early in their UA careers. Teams that regularly show up in the top 25 always have a number of young players with this kind of talent level.

The Zips have incredible depth this season. As the new players continue to mesh with the veterans, the Zips are just going to keep getting better and better. But reality will set in when they go up against VCU without Rico. VCU is also stacked with talented young players, and hopefully Tree, Harney and the rest of the Zips will show all they've got. That's going to be one heck of a game.

Sadly, for all the depth we have, we only have one true PG & we play like an entirely different (i.e., worse) team w/o Rico.

Listen, the point I am making is that we get highly touted players like Egner and Euton, and so far Josh has not shown much of anything. Literally he can't put the ball into the basket, and Dakotah transferred out when he did not fit our style of play at all.

We have done pretty well over the years with JUCO transfers, because they are more of a known quantity.

But it is SO unusual for us to get a freshman, especially one with almost no organized BB experience, who goes out there and plays with the big boys. I think Nik woke up and realized that if he does not catch fire he won't be starting. How do you keep this guy Tree on the bench?

BTW, a lot of his mistakes, like the traveling, are BECAUSE of the lack of organized bb experience. No one calls traveling or fouls on the sandlot.

Some very promising quotes from Tree (courtesy of Rasor's blog):

DEMETRIUS TREADWELL

"It all started with practice. We've really been focused. Everybody's been working hard. It's carried over from practice."

"I'm definitely feeling more comfortable. Each and every game, I'm learning. The game's starting to slow down."

"Adjusting to the game speed … It's a lot quicker than high school."

If Tree wants to become an elite player...he needs to turn up the intensity in practice...and spend lots of extra time shooting free throws. Also...he almost always shoots with his right hand. That will become a problem down the road. He needs to learn to use his left hand. But...he is very young and inexperianced. It will be fun to watch him grow. Unlike Zeke...he is a power player wo looks to score.

If Tree wants to become an elite player...he needs to turn up the intensity in practice...and spend lots of extra time shooting free throws. Also...he almost always shoots with his right hand. That will become a problem down the road. He needs to learn to use his left hand. But...he is very young and inexperianced. It will be fun to watch him grow. Unlike Zeke...he is a power player wo looks to score.

In Monday's game he had at least one move where he finished with his left hand, and it wasn't a gimme type shot. It was smooth. The dude is a beast.

In Monday's game he had at least one move where he finished with his left hand, and it wasn't a gimme type shot. It was smooth. The dude is a beast.

Good to know :thumb: