George Thomas of ABJ on 92.3 interview

scottditzen

STZ, I don't think we have anything against Winters. He's entitled to stay "in the hood" if that's where he wants to coach. It's a rough job, and somebody's gotta do it. And to clarify your point, I WOULD HAVE BET MONEY that Winters' Wayne St. team would've defeated Akron last year.

You're probably thinking Winters is being snubbed now, but in reality, we're just happy we dodged that bullet when a much, MUCH, M-U-C-HHHHH better candidate was available. Would anyone here seriously trade Bowden for Winters? Thought not.

Tells us all we need to know about you.

Akron lost to freakin' Gardner-Webb. And you think the national runners-up couldn't have knocked off a 1-11 team that had stopped playing for its coach? That tells us all we need to know about YOU, my deluded friend. :nutkick:

The difference between Div. II (WSU) and I-AA (GW) is pretty huge.

I wonder what Jim Tressell would have to say about this, based on the 1994 YSU/UNA clash. Yes, that's right, YSU won the 1-AA championship in 1994 with a 14-0-1 record and struggled mightily with the D-II North Alabama Lions. Hey, look who YSU beat by a combined 96-24 in the three weeks after the UNA game? And look who YSU beat 28-14 in the I-AA championship.

If you'd like to keep spewing your "if I've never experienced something, then of course it's never happened", provincial ignorance, nobody can stop you.

STZ, I don't think we have anything against Winters. He's entitled to stay "in the hood" if that's where he wants to coach. It's a rough job, and somebody's gotta do it. And to clarify your point, I WOULD HAVE BET MONEY that Winters' Wayne St. team would've defeated Akron last year.

You're probably thinking Winters is being snubbed now, but in reality, we're just happy we dodged that bullet when a much, MUCH, M-U-C-HHHHH better candidate was available. Would anyone here seriously trade Bowden for Winters? Thought not.

Akron lost to freakin' Gardner-Webb. And you think the national runners-up couldn't have knocked off a 1-11 team that had stopped playing for its coach? That tells us all we need to know about YOU, my deluded friend. :nutkick:

I wonder what Jim Tressell would have to say about this, based on the 1994 YSU/UNA clash. Yes, that's right, YSU won the 1-AA championship in 1994 with a 14-0-1 record and struggled mightily with the D-II North Alabama Lions. Hey, look who YSU beat by a combined 96-24 in the three weeks after the UNA game? And look who YSU beat 28-14 in the I-AA championship.

If you'd like to keep spewing your "if I've never experienced something, then of course it's never happened", provincial ignorance, nobody can stop you.

lol that's your best argument? They struggled mightily? Sheesh

And Chaminade once beat #1 Virginia in basketball in the 80s. It happens, but he wasn't saying that it never happens. Rare examples to the contrary don't make the difference between their respective divisions any less significant.

And Chaminade once beat #1 Virginia in basketball in the 80s. It happens, but he wasn't saying that it never happens. Rare examples to the contrary don't make the difference between their respective divisions any less significant.

Maybe I misunderstood, but his statement about the difference between D-II and FCS being pretty huge seems to have been made to strengthen his doubt that Wayne St would have been able to compete with Akron in 2011. History shows that, more often than not, the upper echelon of the lower division is usually superior to the lower echelon of the upper division. Long-time MAC fans certainly have learned this the hard way.

BTW, since moving to FCS (I-AA), Gardner-Webb has lost TWICE to D-II teams.

lol that's your best argument? They struggled mightily? Sheesh

This game featured the BEST FCS (I-AA) had to offer against the best D-II had to offer, and it was played in Youngstown. How does a 17-14 YSU win remotely advance the idea that there is a huge difference between FCS and D-II?

Ahh this hypothetical "could Wayne St have beaten the Zips in 2011" will never be answered, so I think I'm just going to drop it myself. Sorry about my wise remarks. It's just not that important. We've got a very good coach fo 2012!! Go Zips!!!!

So we are using a loss in 2010 to say that a team would beat us in 2011. Logical thinking, my friends.

The difference between d2 and D1-AA is pretty big, let alone D2 to D1- FBS

Like I said, there wouldn't even be a discussion about D-II football on this board if it wasn't for the fact that some people were pushing their agenda for Winters as coach.

So we are using a loss in 2010 to say that a team would beat us in 2011. Logical thinking, my friends.

Like I said, there wouldn't even be a discussion about D-II football on this board if it wasn't for the fact that some people were pushing their agenda for Winters as coach.

Agree.

I caught the tail end of the interview this a.m. by Jeff Thomas (Akron guy!!!) and Les Levine- they were sitting in for Kiley and Booms on 92.3 The Fan. Topic of discussion was coach Terry Bowden. I only causght the tail end of it, but in that short time I was shocked by two things:

First, George Thomas didn't know if Wayne State was Div. II or III.

Second, he couldn't tell the difference between Eastern, Western and Central Michigan.

And this guy is supposed to be a reporter? In AKRON...Covering AKRON and the MAC???

It has me wondering if any random poster here on Zipsnation would be better qualified than he. Now, he did inject some humor into the interview- which truthfully many posters here probably are incapable of- but my point is that shouldn't he, you know, be MORE KNOWLEDGEABLE THAN US!!!

I don't know...maybe his style is to wallow in ignorance the same way Tony Kornheiser does. But come on George. You're repping the Beacon Journal. And your lack of knowledge casts a poor reflection on your employer.

And they wonder why newspapers are dying...

Agree.

Interesting. Then any discussion regarding Bowden's time at UNA, his schemes, his approach, his tendencies, his staff (some of whom will no doubt find themselves in Akron), must be irrelevant. I'll try to remember that.

Agree.

Interesting. Then any discussion regarding Bowden's time at UNA, his schemes, his approach, his tendencies, his staff (some of whom will no doubt find themselves in Akron), must be irrelevant. I'll try to remember that.

I'm talking about discussions that are related to the greatness of D-II football. And the same standard applies, whether it's in reference to Bowden or Winters. I support the hiring of Bowden, but I won't attempt to justify his hiring by trying to falsely raise the stature of D-II football. And if you look at the magnitude of Bowden's accomplishments in the SEC, it does indeed make his D-II experience pretty irrelevant in comparison.

Agree.

Lets be real, Bowden wasn't hired because of what he has done at North Alabama.

First, George Thomas didn't know if Wayne State was Div. II or III.

Most sports fans probably don't even know that Wayne State even exists. So, he's a step above that.

While it may be true that Mr. Thomas does not know what division Wayne State or even the University of North Alabama is in (even though he should be sure to know before speaking publicly about those places), I am much more concerned that he doesn't seem to know the difference between the three Michigan schools in the MAC. How can you be a beat writer for a MAC team and not know who the other MAC schools are?