Zips vs Ou

taxpayer

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK...guys.....if you really watch Zeke on the offensive boards...more often than not, your going to see him boxing out his man, preventing them from getting the defensive board, in order to allow his teammate to get the rebound. I think his train of thought is that he would rather negate getting 10+ rebounds, box out under the basket and allow someone else to get it instead. I know many of you don't like that and would rather see him be more aggressive on the boards, but most of you know that he is such a team player, he would give up that stat so long as we are getting the rebounds and second chances.

#justathought#

OK...guys.....if you really watch Zeke on the offensive boards...more often than not, your going to see him boxing out his man, preventing them from getting the defensive board, in order to allow his teammate to get the rebound. I think his train of thought is that he would rather negate getting 10+ rebounds, box out under the basket and allow someone else to get it instead. I know many of you don't like that and would rather see him be more aggressive on the boards, but most of you know that he is such a team player, he would give up that stat so long as we are getting the rebounds and second chances.

#justathought#

I know it's not the best way to analyze this, and there is much more investigating that needs to take place , but in the highlights that UA put out, Marshall seems to be standing around. Only a couple times (including a sweet put back) was Zeke moving towards the hoop when a shot went up, and many times he allowed a much smaller defender to push him out of the paint.

He did however do a hell of a job moving without the ball, which helped him kick butt and get inside the defense of the Bobcats. And without a doubt (IMO), the Zips are 3x better with Zeke on the court than they are without him.

Upon further review: I watched it a second time and he did better than I first thought. Though he was boxed out a lot. And like I said before, he moved without the ball great when it was on the floor.

#justathought#

I wish I had access to stats like rebounding percentage plus/minus. That would tell us how much of an impact he's making on the boards even if he's not getting them himself.

I wish I had access to stats like rebounding percentage plus/minus. That would tell us how much of an impact he's making on the boards even if he's not getting them himself.

Sabormetric basketball style??? :D

And Zeke just said on the show he is working on rebounding. So it is not a problem that is secret to anyone. And if he continues to improve like he has his entire career, I think the problem will be :wave: goodbye.

Sabormetric basketball style??? :D

And Zeke just said on the show he is working on rebounding. So it is not a problem that is secret to anyone. And if he continues to improve like he has his entire career, I think the problem will be :wave: goodbye.

After watching Pitt and Baylor, defensive rebounds seem to dominant. I watched for offensive rebounds and they are not dominant.

I checked NCAA stats on all teams and guess we are not doing that bad on offensive rebounds, but I see the stats that say we win big when we command the offensive boards.

Think I will move on to another topic. Thanks all for the responses.

Go Zips Beat Buffalo. no video on this one, just audio.

:wave:

@Carol, there's a simple reason why offensive rebounds are harder to get than defensive rebounds.

The fundamental point of basketball defense is for defenders to stay between offensive players and the basket in order to better contest their shots. In most cases, when a shot misses, the defensive players will be closer to the basket than the offensive players, and therefore have a big advantage in snagging most of the rebounds.

When a team gets a lot of offensive rebounds, it generally means that its players are breaking down the defense and establishing good position near the basket. That means they're not only more likely to get offensive rebounds, but they're also more likely to score due to being in better scoring position.

• 2 weeks later...