A New Intro for the Final Game

sgm405

I know for me personally, every game Ive worked this year Ive been down on the steps next to the front row, and its much easier for me to look at the side scoreboards instead of craning my neck way up to look at the big screen up top. I think more people in the reserved seats may look at the side boards than you think. Its only easy to look up at the big board if youre in the upper level.
I agree with that point. For the lower seats, it is at eye-level.That said, the majority of the JAR's seating (65%?) is in the upper level. For those in the upper level, like myself, the primary "reference" scoreboard is the overhead board. If something changes on it, you notice immediately. Things scroll on/off the side boards 20 times before many of us in the upper level even notices. Anyone who debates that has never been a fan sitting in the upper level.Again I ask: Why is it rocket science to place statistical leaders on the overhead scoreboard? It is certainly possible if it can be done on the side boards. And, it is more interesting info than showing the live feed of a game that's happening directly below.If someone is so protective of the end scoreboards they must have a personal attachment to them? Either they work them, or they have some vested interest in justifying them. It is funny that everyone wants to know how to improve things at the JAR...but when you tell them something that's wrong, they get defensive and resort to name-calling. You can't have it both ways.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My biggest complaint (somewhat minor though) about the end scoreboards has more to do with the operators (and I know the time-keeper personally) not keeping them current (players go in or out and their stats remain for a while). I am a season ticket holder in the upper reserved (section 2A) also. I don't mind looking to the end boards for updates on shooting/rebounding etc. Those boards predate the center board by several years if I recall correctly. Upgrading them (maybe in a new arena) might help.

I never thought I would jump into a discussion about the side scoreboards. But here goes.My problem is the way the scoreboards are layed out. They are not very fan friendly.When you sit in the middle of the court, you look left or right to see how many pointssomebody has, by the time I find the info that I want, I missed action in the game.I don't think the problem is the location, I think it is the set up (layout) of the information that is there.It just needs to be layed out better. I know somebody might say, "just wait for a timeout and you won'tmiss action", but sometimes player X hits a shot and I think wow that must be 10 points already, then I look over and by the time I find info, I missed something. This sounds lame when I read it back, butI'll still submit anyway.How about if we could get a pair of glasses that produce each players stats above their head as a hologram?We wouldn't miss action, no money wasted on scoreboards, it won't matter where you sit. Problem solved. ;)

All boards in Rhodes Arena were installed prior to the 2002-03 season. The old boards were falling apart during games, just as Can't State's is now.The end boards all are controlled by the computer statistics system, there are no controllers punching in numbers. It is all automated.The center video panel is a video system programmed for video, not stats. I do not forsee the video boards being used for numbers and text during play as this is our main method for gaining video highlights. Using stats and not video would rob us of this system, which would add yet another cost to our challenged budget.This crew is student-run as we do not have the Big 10 budget to hire out crews for this type of operation.We change out the opening video each year and spent over 10K for the new elements this year, this first capital investment since the system was installed. Creatively I would never use the same "open" from year to year. In fact, if I hear "Let's Get It Started" on the radio I usually put in a CD or kick the radio very hard. HA.While I appreciate the feedback, and take many ideas from this board as Z-P and CK will attest to, I think it is a bit unfair to compare our operation to the Indians, Cavs and Browns. Their full-time crews make a lot of cash and have huge budgets. We are operating the finest operation in the MAC, which in comparison to the folks at Miami, Bowling Green, Ohio, Toledo, Can't, etc... is no comparison.Nothing scrolls over the side boards during play - the stats remain constant. the only thing that changes is during dead ball periods.As for the idea of a 3-minute highlight video in-between the Can't State linup and our own, that will not happen. If anything we want there to be a shorter period in this area of the game script, perhaps only taking a tad longer for our new PA guy to vocally prompt the crowd. I would never show soccer or football highlights immediately before a basketball game - that is basketball's time to shine. Highlight reels of this generic type are show earlier in the gameday presentation, usually between the 45-30 countdown. After the 30-mark we focus on music, the band, the dance team, the cheer team and several other entities that claim time in our operation. It is really hard to keep everyone happy and my guys have done an outstanding job with this circus all season long. We have run the ESPN clip with Boomer and the football highlights several times this season, as we have the little cartoon featuring Zippy. We try not to over-do clips and elements, which I feel has been done this year to a degree. But, again, this is a student crew and they are learning as they would with any other element of education. If they were full-timers it would be different, but overall it is still the best in this league, which should be a comfort to most UA fans.Now, if anyone has a better idea of how to layout the points/fouls for 10 players (5 per team), plus clock, time outs, etc... I am open to suggestions and will seriously consider any offers per the presentation for 2006-07. With two games left I doubt we will change anything for this season.Thanks for the feedback...

I must say respectfully that I think the point was kind of missed...it wasn't to give attention to the other programs and take it away from basketball, it was to send a message to Can't State players and fans that there was a changing of the guard taking place in MAC athletics, that it's happened in other sports already, and that it would happen that night in basketball as well. Oh well...just an idea. I think everyone does appreciate the crew on game days...the promotions, gameday atmosphere, and overall presentation of the game are ten times better this year. I also LOVE the Zippy cartoon (Except for Brutus the Buckeye being included...that part doesn't make sense). Great job overall on game day by the crew though...

including that nut as the first Zippy victim was the best part. If you don't get that then you are not a long time Zip fan.
Well, I'm guessing a lot of us aren't "long time Zips fans"...unless there are some people who went the Van Wilder route for college. What is there to get? That they include one non-MAC mascot of a team that 75% of Zips fans also love? That Ohio State never even plays Akron? That Ohio State would demolish us if we ever did play? I'm not ripping the cartoon...I absolutely love it and think it's one of the most creative and well done things they've ever done...I just think including the mascot of a team that has nothing to do with us (except sharing the state) that is also loved by most fans is pointless...but hey, I'm not a long time fan...I wouldnt understand I guess...

Your either a Zip fan or Suckeye fan, you cannot be both. That's like telling your wife, Hey babe, I love you and my girlfriend.Akron competes against the Suckeyes for athletes and students. If you do not recognize that then you are part of the problem. You must be one of those guys that wears his Suckeye hat and Akron shirt to the JAR and proclaims to be a "big Zips fan".Half fans like you need to stay home and leave being a Zip fan to those of us who are dedicated. Your BS comment about if we would ever play the Sucks that they would demolish us should get your Scarlet and Grey heart banned from this board for life.Calling all Mods - Suck Mole in the Ranks.

I think the percentage was more like 75 not like OSU and 25 of the younger fans split loyalties. No one who was arond fo the basketball postseason game back in Huggs era or the 2001 football game would say that they are fans of both equally. If you do then you are not a fan, you really arent.Can't State - OSU - UT - OU - MU - BG - UD - UC - CSU - WSU - YSU are all the same to me - the enemy - period. If you are D-1 in this state and not a Zip - you suck.Now if you want to cheer for Mt. Union, Wooster, Walsh or Malone then fine - we will never compete with them for talented athletes.

I for one really like the side boards & hope they're maintained. I understand the notion of getting status up to the center scoreboard also, but please don't drop them from the side. After about the 3rd game of having them it became second nature for me to find what I was looking for in a split second.Knowing the fact that they don't generally update during live action will save people some trouble. I think they're a huge thing to have and they provide stats that exceed any other MAC arena I've ever been in. Hell, Mackey Arena @ Purdue and Gampel Pavilion @ UConn don't have that much information available, at least they didn't the last time I was in either of those gyms.The only tweak I would make to the side boards would be to see if we could squeeze rebounds in there somehow. The scoreboard at the old Coliseum in Richfield had 3 columns for each player: Pts. RBs PF's. It's the only place I've ever seen that, and I've missed it ever since it got blown up. I think that'd be a cool stat to have real time .. but I'm sure the numbers would get small.What would be good would be if anyone could post the resolution of the side boards (pixels x pixels .. etc), and the minimum size necessary for any character & then we could all play along in the offseason to see if there's a tweak that can help.Thanks again for stopping in UAM !!! You and your staff are doing a hell of a job. Give that snappy Newhouse boy a $.01 raise and send the bill to the Nation!

I think the percentage was more like 75 not like OSU and 25 of the younger fans split loyalties. No one who was arond fo the basketball postseason game back in Huggs era or the 2001 football game would say that they are fans of both equally. If you do then you are not a fan, you really arent.Can't State - OSU - UT - OU - MU - BG - UD - UC - CSU - WSU - YSU are all the same to me - the enemy - period. If you are D-1 in this state and not a Zip - you suck.Now if you want to cheer for Mt. Union, Wooster, Walsh or Malone then fine - we will never compete with them for talented athletes.
Sorry to be this rude but you're an idiot. When do we "compete" with OSU for athletics? Other than soccer and maybe women's cross country or something the game would never be competitive. I personally am a football and basketball fan, so yeah I hope the Zips win those other sports and i was there cheering for the Zips against OSU in the soccer game, but being an OSU football and basketball fan is not "splitting loyalties". That's the most obsurd thing I've ever seen. :screwks:

:iws: Can you really not see that we compete with OSU and for that matter, Michigan and Pitt too!??!!Damn people! i konw many of you are new to this (following a wiinning team) and we appreaciate you begin here, but try to learn from your 'elders'. How many times in the past has good local football and basketball talent left Akron for OSU and the like? Do you not think we should have them on our teams???

First of all I just transferred to Akron so F off. Secondly, if you want to bring recruiting into this tell me why Akron only goes after the OSU guys? There's a two-time all state quarterback from my high school that could easily jump into a slot receiver spot for the Zips, but did he once get a letter from Akron? Nope, Minnesota and Wisconsin thought he was good enough but not for Akron? Akron is a MAC school. So no, they are never going to compete for recruits with OSU, or any Big Ten school for that matter. If you're saying that then how can you like any college program. Stupid point, Akron needs to realize their role as a smaller program and go after the unrecruited guys. That's what mid level programs are supposed to do. I can't believe I have to defend being an OSU fan to a bunch of Ohioans. Either way... :screwks:

Your either a Zip fan or Suckeye fan, you cannot be both. That's like telling your wife, Hey babe, I love you and my girlfriend.Akron competes against the Suckeyes for athletes and students. If you do not recognize that then you are part of the problem. You must be one of those guys that wears his Suckeye hat and Akron shirt to the JAR and proclaims to be a "big Zips fan".Half fans like you need to stay home and leave being a Zip fan to those of us who are dedicated. Your BS comment about if we would ever play the Sucks that they would demolish us should get your Scarlet and Grey heart banned from this board for life.Calling all Mods - Suck Mole in the Ranks.
Look at my post on the OSU poll thread...you're an idiot by the way :rolleyes:

All this talk about the side boards and they didn't even post the stats today.
Maybe that was our punishment for the criticism? :nutkick: Or maybe they are working on a new layout and it wasn't ready yet. :bow: PS The scene from X-mas vacation ("if that cat had nine lives, it just used all of them) done on the big screen Saturday was perfectly timed...nice job. :cheers: As always, I still love the Thriller video...I love when Zippy bounces that buck nut.

No offense CK, but I did miss the side board stats on Saturday. Atleast, it was something, no stats was really bad. Good idea from ZW in posting rebounds - I kept wondering how many Romeo had and how bad we were beating OU on the boards :nutkick: One other thing, if the Blue Hairs are complaining about the sound system being to loud, DO NOT change a thing for the Can't game. Screw em, it sounded awesome. I sat down low for the OU game and was amazed by all of the pompous attitudes that exist down there - I'm staying in my upper reserved seats until something changes. Our group was cheering and standing up for a big national televised game only to get looks from other Zips ( :unsure: ) fans around us. The blue hairs don't cheer, stand up, nor rally behind this team even on scoring runs. I'm not even sure some of them are even awake :zzz: (I do know one of them was actually knitting a blanket.... :mad_flame: ......). Give the students a side section and kick out the dead wood. Absolutely annoying.

Great point about a lot of the fans in the lower sections. It seemed when a big play was made by the Zips the students would start going crazy but most in the lowers that I saw gave some nice golf claps.I know we don't like K-ent but look at the difference of how their fans reacted when they started on that game changing run after Akron went up 9. The fans in the lowers, uppers, and obviously the students were at the least standing and clapping. Most were yelling that place got really loud. I knew we were in trouble then because Akron had kept that place quiet for the first 25 minutes of the game.Hopefully it's different for the K-ent game on Saturday.

Give the students a side section and kick out the dead wood. Absolutely annoying.
What about an "alumni" Ak-Rowdie/Oldie section?I know we could put together 50 to 100 alumni that would make a lot more noise then the blue-hairs.Make it crazy. A place where no team wants to play.PS Serve beer in that section also :lol: