Elton's Message to Akron

Dave in Green

I agree. I'm hearing too much, "Give us recognition!" on this board. It's hard to argue with the facts Elton presented because they are true. The interpretation of the facts is debatable.

We play in the MAC. The term "Dollar General" should be used to describe the horrible MAC basketball season this year. Only three teams other than Akron have a record greater than .500 (Source), so why do we deserve national recognition for winning against a bunch of teams from the Dollar General league and losing to the likes of CCU?

I hate to seem like I'm throwing cold water on things, but when I see any team with the longest winning streak in the country, I automatically wonder who that team has beaten. There is no doubt we are by far the best team in the league. That alone doesn't qualify for national recognition. I saw UNCC play in person last weekend. They are a fourth to fifth place A-10 school and they could go toe to toe with Akron at every position. Let's keep things in perspective.

Instead of demanding respect, let's take it in March.

+1

I certainly appreciate that our players and fans have lofty expectations, but I tend to agree with what this guy said...

4251473860_0bd961d38f.jpg

Meanwhile, Terry Pluto is right now composing a column in which he too says the Zips are getting too big for their britches. Terry wonders why Akron can't exhibit the fighting spirit of the Wooster Scots, and wants the world to know that Zippy wouldn't have a marsupial's chance of beating the Hiram Terrier in a mascot challenge. :D