Owl City coming to campus

A semi-relevant rapper[who's shtick is admittedly kind of cheesy] with a strong NE Ohio following(he's from Shaker Heights). He was another 'artist' who got famous online before he got a record deal. His concert was part of UA's "stage door series". It's essentially a backstage concert.

Wait, you mean to tell me that 20 year olds aren't interested in listening to the Summit Choral Society perform G.F Handel's messiah? :P

Right, UA claims to know how to teach marketing in its business college, but just across the street in its performing arts hall it demonstrates a total lack of marketing savy.

UA reminds me of the lame and comical "Stewart" on "Saturday Night Live", " Hey, look what I can do!"

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A semi-relevant rapper[who's shtick is admittedly kind of cheesy] with a strong NE Ohio following(he's from Shaker Heights). He was another 'artist' who got famous online before he got a record deal. His concert was part of UA's "stage door series". It's essentially a backstage concert.

Wait, you mean to tell me that 20 year olds aren't interested in listening to the Summit Choral Society perform G.F Handel's messiah? :P

Actually he got famous for being the first white rapper to win at the Apollo. Then he was on mtv2. He's not even from shaker heights, he moved to shaker when he was like 15 yrs of age. He's only like 22 or 23. He's horrible not sure how he got signed to a big record company like interscope and bad boy.

Back to Owl City...it is a Christian group with a religious message and Akron U is spending close to $100,000 to promote a specific religious belief all under the guise of, "the students voted for it" which is a lie. Springfest is a godfest. using public moneys to promote a specific religion.

Also, the organization, "campus activities magazine" (another Christian organization) to which Akron U claims to belong is also a fraud. Akron U claims that they have received the top award for campus programming from this organization for many years in a row. The reality is that one does not have to claim to belong to this bogus organization. All one has to do is vote for their own university over and over again just like Akron U voted for Zippy. There is no sense of quality to their awards just a measure of how many times an Akron U fanatic can tap the enter key in a given moment.

Ah now it makes sense. Thanks for letting us know it's just Christian propaganda. I didn't see that angle.

Right. just go to the UA Springfest web site and when "Owl City" is featured, try your best to click off on the ads that want you to become an ordained minister and notice how almost everyone is warring a cross around his/her neck. Then go on the internet and see how Owl city is considered a religious/christian band. The University of Akron needs to disband RHPB, ZIP Programming Network and Undergraduate Student Government. All three organizations are a debt to the university and unconstitutional,

WARNING , JEWS, MUSLIMS AND MORE: AKRON UNIVERSITY HATES YOU!

Back to Owl City...it is a Christian group with a religious message and Akron U is spending close to $100,000 to promote a specific religious belief all under the guise of, "the students voted for it" which is a lie. Springfest is a godfest. using public moneys to promote a specific religion.

Also, the organization, "campus activities magazine" (another Christian organization) to which Akron U claims to belong is also a fraud. Akron U claims that they have received the top award for campus programming from this organization for many years in a row. The reality is that one does not have to claim to belong to this bogus organization. All one has to do is vote for their own university over and over again just like Akron U voted for Zippy. There is no sense of quality to their awards just a measure of how many times an Akron U fanatic can tap the enter key in a given moment.

Not familiar with this Akron U that you speak of. In my opinion, you usually bring some solid points to the table, but now you are getting a little far out there. Was 3OH!3 a Christian group?

Not familiar with this Akron U that you speak of. In my opinion, you usually bring some solid points to the table, but now you are getting a little far out there. Was 3OH!3 a Christian group?

Not getting out there at all. 3OH3 was not a Christian group but it was a loser group. Point being there seems to be a narrow agenda with those few people who vote at Akron U (The University of Akron). This group claims to represent the entire student body when in fact they do not. What these naive akron U students do is go to huckster programming presentations by

"campus programming magazine" in another state that presents quack acts and stupid Au students buy into them at the urging of dishonest UA administrators who falsely claim to be their advocates. All in all. it is a huckster's paradise.

ZPN is more concerned about "students showing up at our events" than they are about giving students events that they want to see. They don't get that it is about the UA student body and their needs/wants and not about their asinine organization.

ZPN is more concerned about "students showing up at our events" than they are about giving students events that they want to see.

Isnt the first part of your statement (students showing up) directly involved with the latter? Surely they realize that, right?

Isnt the first part of your statement (students showing up) directly involved with the latter? Surely they realize that, right?

The operative phrase is "our events" and not just showing up. They see their organization as the end instead of the means to a greater end.

I'm sorry pat, but you've gone off the deep end.

I agree that the event sucks. But i'm not quite ready to believe that the Knights Templar are secretly propagandizing UA (NOT "Akron U") students into Christianity and discriminating against muslims and Jews.

Knights Templar...that's funny. Aside from my and your satire, I do believe those who are responsible for this travesty are at least gullible. And, if you don't believe that some religious groups engage in propaganda, then I have some swamp land to sell you.

Knights Templar...that's funny. Aside from my and your satire, I do believe those who are responsible for this travesty are at least gullible. And, if you don't believe that some religious groups engage in propaganda, then I have some swamp land to sell you.

:eek::CK_brew:

So let me get this straight... youre suggesting that its a travesty Owl City is being brought to UA (not Akron U - I suggest you move out of the 70s) because you believe that they/he (depends on how you look at it since Owl City is technically a one-man-band) represents a catholic and religious message that those who are organizing Springfest at UA are attempting to promote onto the students who will show up?

You also suggest that 1) there are ads on the UA Springfest website (which there arent), and 2) that they depict christian and mostly religious messages (which there aren't any to begin with), all in an attempt to promote the christian faith over muslims and jews?

Surely you can be serious about this... even a clinically insane person isn't this irrational.

I suggest you unplug your computer from the internet, shut off power to your place of residence, and put a tin foil cap on because I think the government is trying to brainwash you.

:eek::CK_brew:

So let me get this straight... youre suggesting that its a travesty Owl City is being brought to UA (not Akron U - I suggest you move out of the 70s) because you believe that they/he (depends on how you look at it since Owl City is technically a one-man-band) represents a catholic and religious message that those who are organizing Springfest at UA are attempting to promote onto the students who will show up?

You also suggest that 1) there are ads on the UA Springfest website (which there arent), and 2) that they depict christian and mostly religious messages (which there aren't any to begin with), all in an attempt to promote the christian faith over muslims and jews?

Surely you can be serious about this... even a clinically insane person isn't this irrational.

I suggest you unplug your computer from the internet, shut off power to your place of residence, and put a tin foil cap on because I think the government is trying to brainwash you.

Are you serious? Is there anything else that I supposedly said according to your less than average reading skills. Then again, maybe it isn't a reading skill issue but of a need to put words in the mouths of others. No one ever said anything about representing a "Catholic" anything. That came from your keyboard and not mine. You sir, take yourself much too seriously. Lighten up! And I thought I overstated things! And I am well aware that UA is not called AU. Not even in the '70s. I was being tongue-in-cheek when mentioning "Akron U" and Muslims and Jews.

:nutkick:

Take a good look at the UA site again, Dick Tracy The religious ads offering a degree in ministry show up twice if not three times superimposed over the artist playing his electric piano. I think the artist is evangelizing and the students who are bringing him are at least naive. It's inappropriate to spend the public dime on religious efforts especially when it is being presented as just another college concert. The University of Akron is a public university and not a small Christian college. Even someone on this thread posted that the artist played at his relative's small Baptist college near Dayton. That he is a Christian act playing at a Baptist College is no coincident. There are countless examples out there indicating that Owl City is a religious act. http://www.uakron.edu/deanofstudents/springfest/

Im not even going to bother telling you how much of an idiot you are.

I do find it comical how much you care about this event, yet publicly state you won't attend it. If you really want to do something productive to help the event, contact the Dean of Students or whomever is in charge of marketing this event and share your thoughts with them. Being an irrational troll here is less than appreciated.

Good day to you, sir.

Im not even going to bother telling you how much of an idiot you are.

I do find it comical how much you care about this event, yet publicly state you won't attend it. If you really want to do something productive to help the event, contact the Dean of Students or whomever is in charge of marketing this event and share your thoughts with them. Being an irrational troll here is less than appreciated.

Good day to you, sir.

Feel better now? It always amazes me how people like you enjoy personal attacks. You strike me as someone who is unhappy at his core. I did nothing to hurt you but you seem to have this pathological need to hurt me or anyone who sees things differently from you. I am not an idiot and I suspect nor are you. Again, you make statements about my position that are not true. Where did I say that I would not attend this event? Again nowhere. Quite frankly, I will be there.

You are a classic Christian fundamentalist. The moment you are challenged, you dig out your dirty weapons and denigrate your opposition. Anybody who knows anything knows that "Owl City" is a Christian propaganda machine,. The UA students who conjured up this act are being duped. By the way, they are no better than the UA students who operate the so-called university newspaper, The Buchtelite. They too are being duped and don't know the first thing about a student newspaper. They all need to go if UA wants to have a legitimate reputation.

Have a nice life, you unhappy lonely soul.

Feel better now? It always amazes me how people like you enjoy personal attacks. You strike me as someone who is unhappy at his core. I did nothing to hurt you but you seem to have this pathological need to hurt me or anyone who sees things differently from you. I am not an idiot and I suspect nor are you. Again, you make statements about my position that are not true. Where did I say that I would not attend this event? Again nowhere. Quite frankly, I will be there.

You are a classic Christian fundamentalist. The moment you are challenged, you dig out your dirty weapons and denigrate your opposition. Anybody who knows anything knows that "Owl City" is a Christian propaganda machine,. The UA students who conjured up this act are being duped. By the way, they are no better than the UA students who operate the so-called university newspaper, The Buchtelite. They too are being duped and don't know the first thing about a student newspaper. They all need to go if UA wants to have a legitimate reputation.

Have a nice life, you unhappy lonely soul.

dude chill man! it's one event if you have a real opinion (which I assume you do since you posted more then anyone else on this forum) contact someone and give them your opinion. No need to bash any religion remember this is an open online forum that anyone can read and take offence to which Makes The University of Akron look bad.

it took awhile, but the real jake finally came out.

Actually, Pat is my nick name. It's short for Paaaaat! Seriously though, this is not about one event. It is about a pattern or a rut if you will. No one needs to call anyone an idiot.