This Season's Best MAC Basketball Players

Dave in Green

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to have seen Q in the top 5. But #7 is a fair ranking in light of questions about how tough it is to bounce back from a whole year away from the team. The quality of Q's evaluation shows the writer really did his homework. While we tend to talk mostly about Q's offense, this evaluation does a great job of describing how disruptive he can be on defense. Can't wait to see Q being introduced at the JAR tomorrow night!

McCrea, Pearson and Whittington are all top performers. They're also all seniors who've had more time to develop their games than Tree, which is always a bonus in these preseason evaluations. I don't see any of them being so far ahead of the others that they're a virtual lock on being ranked the MAC's #1 player at the end of the season. I think that both Tree and Q have the ability to pass these three in overall performance ranking during the course of the season. I'd still rather see the Zips be so strong and balanced across the roster that there's no need for the team to lean on one player to produce the inflated stats that tend to move players higher in these kinds of rankings.

I am thinking they may have Tree at #2. ...

Treadwell at number four!!!!! Are you freaking kidding me? Are you seriously, freaking kidding me???

I stated in the beginning of this thread that it is biased. This proves it.

Either these clowns know little or nothing about evaluating players or they are as crooked as a dog's hind leg.

:moon:

Treadwell at number four!!!!! Are you freaking kidding me? Are you seriously, freaking kidding me???

Either these clowns know little or nothing about evaluating players or they are as crooked as a dog's hind leg.

:moon:

The author is a Zips fan, so I would say bias definitely isn't a factor.

Ultimately, who cares? Basketball isn't an individual game. Tree & Q are both in the top 10. The Zips will be #1.

Speaking of bias...

The author is a Zips fan, so I would say bias definitely isn't a factor.

Ultimately, who cares? Basketball isn't an individual game. Tree & Q are both in the top 10. The Zips will be #1.

I believe the writers collectively voted on the rankings. A Zips fan just wrote the piece.

Thanks for the SpellCheck LZip. You saved my reputation!

I wonder if this MAC East preview from Kalamazoo has been posted by anyone? I have to agree with much of it. Especially the part about Nick: "We saw Harney make some pretty big strides last year filling in for the suspended Quincy Diggs. Diggs will be back this year, however the load will still largely be on Harney's shoulders to replace lost production from Zeke Marshall, Brian Walsh, and Alex Abreu." Harney is one of those guys who needs to develop a consistent 3-point ball. He looks good at times, but frankly, we need more of that, not the same. Otherwise he gets replaced by a sophomore, whether Jake or Reggie for long stretches, and that doesn't spell "All-MAC". ;)

• 3 months later...

I think it's a 2-player race between McCrea and Tree, and I would love to see Tree win this award. There's still time for both players to strengthen their cases, including 2 head-to-head games. In addition to such factors as importance to his team, leadership and intangibles, I'm sure many of the voters will also do a stats comparison. With Tree leading the MAC in double-doubles, I thought he might be ahead of McCrea in some statistical categories. But looking at their numbers side-by-side, McCrea is ahead in virtually every area. Even in offensive rebounding, where Tree is a beast, McCrea's numbers are better. Hopefully Tree's other attributes will trump McCrea's stats.

I think it's a 2-player race between McCrea and Tree, and I would love to see Tree win this award. There's still time for both players to strengthen their cases, including 2 head-to-head games. In addition to such factors as importance to his team, leadership and intangibles, I'm sure many of the voters will also do a stats comparison. With Tree leading the MAC in double-doubles, I thought he might be ahead of McCrea in some statistical categories. But looking at their numbers side-by-side, McCrea is ahead in virtually every area. Even in offensive rebounding, where Tree is a beast, McCrea's numbers are better. Hopefully Tree's other attributes will trump McCrea's stats.

Like the fact that Tree has never blindsided an opponent and caused injury to that player; ala Jake Kretzer. Character counts.

• 3 weeks later...