Roster Changes 2014

I'm not too concerned with the number of freshmen on this team. If I remember 2009 correctly, Zarek Valentin, Chad Barson, and David Meves were freshmen starters. Then in a number of games including the scoreless final with Virginia, we saw Scott Caldwell, Ben Speas, and Yorum Mwila (RIP).

Right. In an elite program such as Akron's, professional calibre talent leaves early. Not sure when this changed, not quite 10 years ago, but NCAA MSoccer is now similar to NCAA MBasketball.

An old team, full of upper classmen, like Notre Dame 2013, is rarely a contender. Quality freshmen are typically expected to contribute immediately. Anticipate more of this trend.

From Ismail Seremba's Instagram:

ismailseremba

3 hours ago

Disappointed not to be able to help this great team win the National Championship this year...I'm having surgery again on Tuesday and will unfortunately be sitting out another 9 months. Tough times don't last, tough people do. Come out to support my team play Maryland tomorrow night at 7:30..this year will be a special one for the program #60thAnniversery #2ndstar #GoZips

http://instagram.com/p/r0cbVCgYAn/

This team's success is built on technical excellence, possession, immediate pressure, great transitioning, well executed patterns of play. Dictating from the first minute with some wonderful players who are also world class athletes.

The scrimmage, while just a scrimmage, was against #2 MD and was a much for early season tests by player and position as it was for pride. MD came to play their first line and win. Up 3 the subs followed.

Last year was story of lack of more scoring/finishing up top and keeper changes. Outstanding midfield, high possession with opponents sitting back and disciplined overall play brought 11th best in nation goals given but out of top 50 saves %age tells another story once shots fly.

Midfield has the personnel in Najem-Souto-Laryea so let's assume that gels and will be fine once they play together.

Forward has a few that should bring scoring mix that was absent last year. Big plus if Saad to play it more quickly and simply, avoid giving away the ball so readily final third when he goes up, fighting into pressure at times.

Thus back line and the keeper will end up telling the story will be my guess for 2014-15, especially after what we saw the other day. That was leaky, and given the number of 1 goal games and OT wins or even by PKs we can hardly afford it. Zips have the players, it should sort itself out.

I don't think there was enough movement in the midfield or upfront. No plan as to how to score or even maintain possession. The defense was on it's heels because MD was on our half of the pitch so much. Also, I heard a lot of communication between the MD players and almost none between the Zips players. Players need to take responsibility and step up. Even though he was only a Freshman, Perry Kitchen wasn't afraid to give direction. Same with Wil Trapp as a Freshman and Sophomore. The Captain needs to speak up but so do others.

• 2 weeks later...

Matt Foldesy started today IU v MU. Subbed out 25' in, returning at 66', out with 6' left. Playing respectably/smart, but not the quickest MF out there. Laryea/Souto/Najem all better but he would have been valuable off the bench, Jesse G-A more the soccer player but lacks the experience and probably not as good defensively. Add: Phil Fives has not logged minutes in the first 2 games.

Unranked IU has been much better today, managing the ball well and has a nice group of younger players getting heavy minutes in second game in 3 days in this heat. Not reliant on Femi H-J at all. MU less depth, looks tired. All American candidate Lyon has been quite good on the day as you would expect, both GKs solid.

Add: TDS week 2 Top 25 rankings out, IU in at 19. Stanford (12 to 22) WF (9 to 23) and UA (14 to 24). Same 3 with most FR in rosters of top schools (11,12,12). That makes me feel better in a way, all good programs naturally struggling with large influx of youngers. Things should improve for all three as season progresses but falling out of top 25 a real possibility after this week as WF faces UConn at home and UA has two challenging road games and little time to prepare or make changes. Stanford at home v SJS gets confidence builder.