Golf Outing Notes

The Football golf outing this past Monday was a blast. Very well run. If you missed it, you missed a lot. I would expect it will only grow next season, so be prepared to get your reservations in early in 2006. Highlights included:* The entire staff could not have been more friendly or accessible. Anyone in a blue coach's shirt went out of their way to ensure everyone in attendance had a good time. Hats off to them. :bow: This, in contrast to the last event run by the Varsity A where Keith Dambrot was wisked around the course in Mike Thomas' golf cart and gave everyone little more than a token wave.* Asked Mack Roades about the stadium timeline. He spoke for about 4-5 minutes...but avoided directly addressing the issue...so someone else basically asked the same question after he was done...and the dance began again. Essentially I'm left to read between the lines in what he said, and my guess is as follows: The stadium will happen, but it seems like this season's success will have a direct bearing on how soon it happens. If the Zips have another great season and the fans show up in large numbers, the stadium process will be expedited. If we were to have a bad season and draw flies, the stadium's fund raising efforts would be hurt considerably. Somehow, whether or not we can prove last season wasn't a fluke appears to have an effect on the stadium timeline. I wish we could have gotten a straight answer, but I'll have to assume there are valid reasons why he can't say anything. * After Mack was done speaking he asked "Are there any more questions?" JD quickly raised his hand and (jokingly) asked "CanIhavesomemoremoney?" There weren't too many people that heard him, but those who did got a good chuckle.* JD set the absolute minimum bar for a successful 2006 campaign at 8 wins and a Championship berth. He also said the staff expects to win at least 2 of the 3 vs. PSU, NC State and Cinci. It's good to hear the bar is set high. I met Lee Owens at an outing when we had 2 1-AA games and he was praying for 7 wins.* Finished 4 under, 11 strokes off the lead. Won a golf towel, a nice golf shirt, and everyone in attendance got a sweet Adidas mock-turtle neck w/the football logo. Played 18 at a nice country club...got lunch and a steak dinner...what more could you ask for? * Charlie Frye spoke for a few minutes. To be honest...he needs to take some public speaking courses. He's not all that comfortable behind the mike. That said, he wasn't doing any endo's though windshields either, and it was great to see such a marquee representative of the program in attendance. He mentioned how important it was to have successful events such as the golf outing, since a lot of the players count on the revenue generated to fund their 5th year at school so they can graduate. He also stated JD was the best coach he's ever had. I thought that was pretty high praise.* Met Mike Waddell's successor. Hunter is much more reserved than Mike. A pretty low-key guy from what I could tell.* I spoke to Mack Roades for a 5 minutes. That's 5 minutes more than I ever spoke to Mike Thomas in 5 years.* Season ticket applications are allegedly being sent out this week.* The assistant coaches were pounding their Blackberries all day long text messaging back and forth with recruits. I wonder if they ever get a minute's rest?* Saw old friends Brian Hilk and John Buddenberg, in addition to a host of other former Zips. There definitely is room for more ex-player involvement, however.If you get the chance to attend next season, I highly recommend it. If you're a fan of Zips football, you are cheating yourself if you don't attend. Ditto if you're an ex-player. It was a fantastic day and a great way to support the program.

I agree - this was a blast. I met Rhodes and he is pretty personable, much more so than Thomas. The football coaches are always a blast. It would not hurt the hoops coaches to be a part of this type of deal and make the effort.The food could be better and the gift package does not jive with the cost. I think they could actually draw more people if they publicized the event more. Anything less than 36 groups is a disappointment.

I agree - this was a blast. I met Rhodes and he is pretty personable, much more so than Thomas. The football coaches are always a blast. It would not hurt the hoops coaches to be a part of this type of deal and make the effort.The food could be better and the gift package does not jive with the cost. I think they could actually draw more people if they publicized the event more. Anything less than 36 groups is a disappointment.
The basketball team has an outing of their own and I don't think they have had it yet. If you are interested in going, contact the Athletic Department.